Spring Formal

Halmeoni

Hana POV

My eyes struggled to stay open as I sat in homeroom early Monday morning. Last night I had gotten home at 12am because Hoya, halmeoni and I were up playing charades and watching re-runs of Dream High. Hoya arrived back at his dorm at 12.30, and he texted me saying that he got detention for a week for getting home after curfew.

hana T.T i got detention for a week T.T it was worse than we imagined ㅠㅠ

aigoo are you serious hoya ㅋㅋㅋwell who told you to do some retarded dance for snsd genie that took me half an hour to guess! ㅋㅋㅋ

omg not my fault you're just bad at guessing! ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋand at dancing omg hana i thot you were having a fit when you were dancing love song by rain ㅋㅋㅋ

yah! lee howon, wanna die?! ㅠㅠim not that bad ㅠㅠ

ㅋㅋㅋthats right hana ur not that bad, just really really really bad! ㅋㅋㅋ

.....

aigoo hana i was joking please dont be angry at me ㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠㅠreally sorry hana

 

Truthfully, I had ran out of credit, that's why I didn't reply, but Hoya didn't need to know that.
"Hana-shii," someone next to me whispered. "Wake up, the teacher is looking at you."
I sat up quickly and rubbed my eyes. The teacher glared at me before continuing and reading the morning notices.
"Thankyou, Minyoung-shii."
"You're welcome!" She smiled widely to reveal a mouth of braces and crescent eyes. "Are you going to the formal this Sunday?"
"Nah," I replied. "I have no one to go with. And no dress."
"You should come with my group! We're all going solo as well." She paused. "And we're going shopping this afternoon for dresses. Come?"
She pouted and smiled at me. When I didn't reply, she looked cross with me. "You've been at this school for four months now, Hana-shii! You should come to at least ONE school event."
I sighed. "Okay then!"
She grabbed my arm and squeezed it tightly. "Yay! Meet us at the canteen after school!"

"Everyone, this is Hana!" Minyoung introduced me to her group of friends.
I bowed. "Nice to meet you!"
"Hi Hana!" They all chorused. "Should we go?"
We rode the subway to the mall. On the way, the girls chattered excitedly about the spring formal.
"Omo, I heard that Busan College of Arts is going to be there!"
"What colour dress are you wearing?"
"How are you doing your hair?"
"What about makeup?"
"Let's all come to my house before to get ready!"
Everyone nodded enthusiastically. "Hana? Are you excited?" A girl called Jihae asked me.
I nodded. "Yeah! I've never been to a formal before," I said, smiling awkwardly.
They all gaped at me. "Really? Omo! We need to make it special then!"

After about three hours at the mall, the six of us had picked out dresses. Mine was a simple black strapless one that went just above my knee. I decided to wear my black converse with it, causing all the girls to laugh at me as they wore high heels and ballet flats.
"Hana! Those converses don't suit your dress!"
I shurgged. "Comfort comes first!" I said defensively.

I was so glad to have finally found some friends. I was grateful to them for taking great efforts in including me in their activitites and conversations. Throughout the week, they chatted excitedly about the formal and what they were going to wear. The excessive chatter seemed to cause the week to drone on and on, and finally, what seemed like a month later when only it was six days, Sunday came. I had visited halmeoni the night before to tell her that I had a school event which meant I couldn't come visit her on Sunday.
"Really? Oh," her face fell visibly. "Hoya can't make it tomorrow either!" She huffed. "Guess I'll be all alone tomorrow. Bye Hana," she said gloomily, shutting the door in my face.

"Omo! Look! The guys over there! Aren't they from Busan College of Arts?" Minyoung whispered excitedly, pointing.
"Don't point!" I laughed, swatting her hand away.
"Eeee! They're looking at us! Act cool, act cool." Jihae was practically foaming at the mouth in excitement.
I couldn't see what the big deal was. There was one guy who had half his shirt ed and waving greasily at the girls walking past, one guy with super small eyes, one really pretty guy, one who was laughing the most weird and unique laugh I had ever heard, one who had a poker face and staring into the dark and another who was smiling at the girls walking by.
"Ayyyy!" Their eyes all lit up as they greeted another guy getting of out a car. "Hoya man! Took you long enough!"
I turned around, not believing my ears. Hoya?
"Quick, hide me," I said to Minyoung, crouching down below her.