Breakfast

Halmeoni

Hana POV

The whole incident at the restaurant was the final straw. Hoya now saw Yoona as a 'priority' over halmeoni and I; he would no longer spend Sundays with us doing tai chi, cooking and watching Dream High like we had for the past four months.

Time was passing quickly too. It had been six months since I had moved to Busan, two months since Hoya 'abandoned' us, two months since Hoya and Yoona started dating. But halmeoni and I were doing fine without Hoya. We could now spaz over Kim Soohyun more without making him feel uncomfortable, eat ddukbokki everyday which he hated so much and look at his baby pictures without him knowing. But I did have to admit, I missed someone to suffer with me while halmeoni cooked her Sunday Special breakfast for us. I missed someone to do tai chi with every Sunday morning - I hated being the only 'young' one in the class. I missed going out late at night to satisfy halmeoni's random midnight cravings. I missed playing charades with Hoya - it was impossible to play with halmeoni as she had no idea of the new idol groups, only the older ones that existed in the 40s which I had never heard of.

I was also learning to deal with my feelings. I managed to push my feelings for Hoya right to the back of my brain, keeping them hidden there. Once in a while I would just sit there mindlessly and think of would may have happened if Yoona wasn't in the picture, but I could never picture it. I was too chicken to tell him about my feelings and I knew he didn't feel that way anyway. I didn't want to burden him by telling him how I felt because I knew I had no business falling for him, so it never would go anywhere. I guess Yoona was a good wake up call for me? To tell myself that I had no chance. Hoya was too perfect; too caring, kind, smart, funny, talented and charming for a plain, boring person like me. The only thing we had in common, our only connection, was halmeoni. And her health was slowly deteriorating eveyday. It worried me. It was lucky that I was on extended summer break holidays because I was basically at her apartment everyday caring for her while she suffered from the flu. She had no one else - Hoya was now busy with Yoona, his parents were always busy with work and her tai chi friends hardly in any condition to take care of themselves, let alone her.

One Sunday when halmeoni was feeling better, she asked if she could go to tai chi. 
"Halmeoni, really? Do you feel up to it? I'm worried about your knee...." I bit my lip. Over the past month, halmeoni had developed arthiritis in her joints as well as an ongoing lung infection.
"I'm fine!" She smiled energetically. "I haven't seen my friends for so long......" She pouted at me.
"Aigoo, fine, let's go! Are you fine to get changed?" She nodded. "Okay. Give me five minutes to go get changed and we'll go, okay?"
She nodded again. "Yay! Hana is the best!"
I smiled. "Don't go anywhere, okay?"

"Halmeoni, come on, let's go, the class starts in fifteen - " I walked into halmeoni's apartment to see Hoya and Yoona also dressed in sports gear, ready to go to tai chi. My heart sank.
"Hi Hana," Hoya said, nodding curtly.
I ignored him, still angry. "What are you doing here?"
He glared at me. "What else? I'm going to do tai chi with my grandma!"
"Where have you been these two months?"
"He's been with me!" Yoona spoke up in her high voice. I pulled a face and ignored her.
"Come on, halmeoni, let's go. Are you ready? Here, I'll put on your shoes for you."
I escorted her slowly into the lift while Hoya and Yoona bounded ahead. It was like they were hear to taunt me, to annoy me, or for whatever reason EXCEPT visit halmeoni. They hardly talked to her for the whole day, keeping to themselves and giggling.
"Aigoo! So many new young people in my class!" The instructor, which I learned was called Mr. Yang, exclaimed. "Welcome to my class!"
"Sir, don't you remember me?" Hoya asked, a little hurt. I snorted. "I'm Hoya, Park halmeoni's grandson!"
"Ah! Yes! I remember you," he said, squinting his eyes. "Vaguely. Have you grown? Why haven't you been here for so long?"
I laughed bitterly. Every single one of Mr. Yang's words were true. "I've been very busy these few months," he said, glaring at me. "Meet my girlfriend, sir! This is Jang Yoona."
I watched as Yoona bowed politely and shook his hand.
"Girlfriend, you say?" Then he looked over at me. "But.....isn't Hana-shii your girlfriend?"
Hoya laughed loudly as if it was the most funny joke in the world. I pretended to duck down to fix halmeoni's shoes but my heart was hammering wildly and painfully in my chest, and my eyes had been blurred by tears. Was it really that funny? I felt like Hoya had stabbed a knife right into my heart and twisted it in, leaving it there and walking away. It hurt a lot.

"Hana?" He laughed again. "No way, sir! Not Hana. Yoona is my girlfriend." He picked her up and twirled her around, causing her to giggle raucously.

I sighed deeply, closing my eyes. I hoped that this would make the pain go away, but it didn't. I felt like it would never go away.

I couldn't concentrate on tai chi. I kept getting all the moves wrong because I was too busy watching Hoya and Yoona giggle and have fun. All those feelings I had worked so hard to push down and keep away were resurfacing all at once. And I had to admit, it was overwhelming. I couldn't believe that Hoya had the guts to abandon halmeoni and I for two months then come back and act as if nothing happened. And to bring Yoona along. I always thought that our Sunday meetings were somewhat of a secret, a secret that only us three knew about but now Yoona was in the picture, I felt betrayed and exposed. Like someone had rudely interrupted a previously peaceful and serene teaparty or something. My heart boiled with anger as we rode the lift back up to halmeoni's apartment for breakfast. There was a tense silence.
"What do you feel like for breakfast, yeobo?" Hoya asked Yoona, pinching her cheek.
"Organic cereal with soymilk and a dairy free banana smoothie with Australian honey," she replied, her lips.
Really? I thought. Really? That sounded.....disgusting. Normally the three of us would just eat bacon, eggs and kimchi for breakfast.
Halmeoni seemed to be thinking along the same lines as me because she scoffed. "I don't have any of that nonsense in my house. You're either eating my Sunday Special breakfast, or nothing."
I sniggered. Halmeoni's Sunday Special breakfast was a real treat.
When I first ate it, Hoya told me repeatedly that I would get used to it when the taste wouldn't leave my mouth. And he was telling the truth. I did get used to it, and now I was, daresay, 'immune' to the likings of salted fish for breakfast. I couldn't wait to see Yoona's face after tasting it - call me evil, I don't care.

After halmeoni and I prepared breakfast, without any of Hoya or Yoona's help as they were busy making out on the couch in the living room, which I accidently stumbled in on and wanted to faint, vomit and die at the same time, we sat down at the dining table.

I had learnt to hold my breath while eating, which would erase the taste completely and leave on the texture, which was not bad. I knew this and Hoya knew this, but Yoona didn't. She eagerly spooned a bit of everything of the Sunday Special breakfast into and gagged. She spat it out with an angry and disgusted look on her face.
"Ew! What the! What is this?" She wiped the mouth furiously with a napkin. "Who even eats this crap? Ew!" She spluttered unnessicarly.

I gaped at her. Hoya was also a little taken aback at what she had said. We both looked over at halmeoni for her reaction.
She put her spoon down slowly, staying calm.
"Who eats this crap, you ask?" Halmeoni's voice was low and dangerous. "I do. It's my favourite food and I make it every week for my two beloved grandchildren here who love it very much. Who are YOU," she pointed menacingly to Yoona, "to come in here and call it crap? To ask who can eat this?"
Yoona was speechless. I guess she wasn't expecting such a reaction over something as 'small' as breakfast.
"You can get out of my house, now," halmeoni said quietly. I had never seen her like this before, but I guess there's always a first for everything.
When Yoona didn't leave, she barked, "NOW!"

Hoya tried to leave after her, but halmeoni barked at him also to stay.
"Son, we need to have a chat. I've had enough of this."