Red Bean Icecream

Halmeoni

Hana POV

"Is that all the dishes?" Hoya asked, rinsing off the soap suds of the last bowl.
I nodded. Then I started to peel off my gloves while Hoya took off his apron. We both stood there awkwardly. I pretended to look at my nails while Hoya typed something into his phone, but I could see that it was a black, blank screen, and he too was scared of the awkward conversation. I chuckled.
"Should we go watch TV with halmeoni?" He asked, looking up from his 'texting'.
"Is she watching Dream High?" I asked him while we walked toward the living room.
He nodded and rolled his eyes. "This is the fifth time she's watched it. She loves Kim Soohyun too much," he sighed.
I laughed. "Can't blame her."

"Hoya! Hana! Have you two finished the dishes already? So fast? Are they clean?"
Hoya nodded. "Of course, halmeoni."
"I feel like red bean icecream, Hoya." She paused. "Will you go get some for me?"
He smiled. "I'll buy some for you the next time I come, halmeoni. It's not healthy to eat past 8pm."
"No, no, I can't wait one week to eat red bean icecream." She struggled to get up off the couch with difficulty. Hoya and I quickly rushed to her either side and helped hoist her up.
"Too much soup!" She smiled sheepishly. Then she reached out to get her wallet. "Here, have some money."
She handed Hoya some notes, but he didn't take them.
"It's okay, halmeoni. I've got it. I'll be back soon." He picked up his phone and jacket and made his way toward the door.
"Wait!" Halmeoni cried. "Hana will go with you."

"So...." Hoya spoke up, breaking the extremely awkward silence between us as we waited for the bus. "What school do you go to?"
I laughed. "This is embarrasing.....but I don't know what it's called." I scratched the back of my neck.
"You don't know what your own school is called?" Hoya laughed. "Well, how you do you get there?"
"I have to catch the number 18 bus to the city or something and then swap to number 940." I shrugged. "I think it's next to a shopping centre."
"No way?" He turned to look at me.
I frowned. "What? Is it a bad school?"
"Oh no," his face broke out into a smile. It was wide and lit up his whole face. "It's a good school! My cousin goes there. It's my school's sister school!" He paused. "But everyone is so competitive there."
I frowned again. "Seriously? Aigoo......." I trailed off. I remember my mother telling me this. "Everyone gets good marks, right?"
He nodded. "It's the top school in Busan for university entrance." He paused. "That's why I don't understand why it's brother school is a college for performing arts."
"Wow! So you go to a school for performing arts?"
He nodded.
"What do you specialise in?"
He turned a little red. "Nothing...really. I'm just, you know, there to do a bit of everything."
I could tell he was lying, or being modest. "If you don't tell me, I'll just ask halmeoni, you know." I stuck my tongue out at him.
"Fine! You ask her then. But I doubt she knows anyway," he chuckled.
"Omo, just tell me Hoya, seriously, if it's ballet or something like that I won't laugh at you."
"No way!" He elbowed me. "It's nothing like that. I rap, dance and sing." He scratched his head awkwardly.
"Wow! That's awesome! Triple threat," I said, nudging him back and smiling.
"Nah." He brushed it off, but I could tell he was happy. "It must be nothing compared to what you do, right? What do you specialise in?"
"Nuclear physics. Hey, this shop sells the icecream halmeoni wants, right?" I pointed to a small convience store.
We walked into the shop. "So, nuclear physicist, how many Newtons is this icecream tub right here."
I ignored him and went to pay, hiding my smile.

"Omo! You two! Why did you take so long? Halmeoni is almost dying of thirst here!"
Hoya and I stepped inside the apartment. He bowed. "Sorry, halmeoni, the line at the shop, was, uh, really long."
She gave him a testing look, but didn't press matters further. "Get me a spoon, will you?"
Truth was, Hoya and I was so busy talking about our own lives and what we wanted to do in university that we had taken the wrong bus and ended up in the next suburb over and had to walk back because it was the last bus of the day.
I grabbed a tissue and wiped the sweat off my forehead.
"Aigoo, Hana, do you feel hot? Here, have some icecream!" She shoved me her spoon.
I bowed. "No thankyou, halmeoni, I really must be going. Tomorrow is my first day of school and I need to get ready."
"Aw, really?" Hoya looked at the time. "Omo! 10pm! I need to get back to the dorm, halmeoni! Curfew is at 10.30." He gulped.
Halmeoni gaped at us. "So you took two hours to buy icecream for me and now you're going?!" She crossed her arms and turned away from us.
"Halmeoni, you should probably go to sleep too. It's getting late," Hoya said lovingly, kneeling down next to her.
She smiled, unable to resist her grandson's charming smile. "Okay. You two better go."
Halmeoni got off the couch and hugged Hoya and I. "See you two next Sunday!"
Then she abruptly shut the door in our faces.
"Goodnight, Hoya-shii." I bowed.
"Aigoo, just call me Hoya." He smiled. "Nice meeting you, Hana. I'll walk you home."
I laughed. "That's okay, Hoya. I just live next door, you better get back to your dorm."
"Are you sure?" I nodded. "Okay then. See you next week!"
I smiled. I couldn't wait.