Restaurant

Halmeoni

Hana POV

"Hana darling! Sorry omma hasn't called much! We've been busy these few months with the new harvest," my mother apologised over the phone.
"That's okay, omma. I've been busy with school too."
"How is school? Good? How are your friends?"
"They're well, omma. When are you going to come visit me?!"
She laughed. "I'm glad you asked, Hana! This Sunday, actually."
I froze. "No way. Omma stop lying. This Sunday? Are you for real? AHH! I MISS YOU SO MUCH! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU!"
"Me too! Now omma has to go pack and feed the pigs, so take care until this Sunday! I'll see you in the afternoon, that's when the flight lands!"
"Alright! Be careful, omma! I'll clean the apartment and wait for you!"

Sunday couldn't come fast enough. I dusted my house, washed the toilet, wiped the windows, made my bed for the first time since moving in and restocked the fridge. Then I went to the store to buy some fruit to bring to halmeoni to tell her that I couldn't make it on Sunday because my parents were coming. Frankly, I didn't really want to see Hoya after all that happened.

"Halmeoni!"
"Aigoo, Hana! Come in, come in." I stepped inside the house, taking off my shoes. "How are your wounds, darling? After you left last Sunday, Hoya and that girl....eugh." She shudders. "Do young people touch that much these days? Luckily I had Woohyun to keep me company! When Errol left, he skated me all around the rink and bought me icecream! What a nice boy," she sighed, content.
I chuckled. "Woohyun is nice, isn't he."
She nodded. "Anyway! What brings you here? Just visiting your halmeoni?"
I shifted guiltly in my seat. "Well, actually, halmeoni, my parents are coming this Sunday so I can't - "
"Omo! No way?" She gasped at me. "Hoya's parents are coming to visit me this Sunday too! We should go out for a big dinner! I would like to meet your parents, Hana."
"Um, well......" I thought quickly of some way to get out of this. I wanted to avoid seeing Hoya for as long as possible.
"Aish, stop trying to get out of it," halmeoni snapped. "Be ready at 7pm on Sunday evening, we'll go to that new Chinese restaurant in the city that everyone's been talking about."
"Alright." I sighed. "Seeyou then, halmeoni."
"Hey." She grabbed my wrist, stopping me. "Why so glum? Don't you want to hang out with me?" She pouted.
"No! Of course not, halmeoni. It's just......" I paused.
"Ah. Hoya, am I right?"
I nodded sadly. "Don't worry, Hana. I won't let him hurt you." She hugged me tightly.
I felt my eyes water again. Get a grip, Hana! "Thankyou," I whispered.

Now, instead of being excited for Sunday, I was dreading it. Not because of my parents, but because of Hoya. I didn't really want to see his face again after the incidents at iceskating and the formal. I wish I didn't go to the formal at all - that was where it all started.

Sunday rolled around pretty quick. Funny, isn't it? You wait for the day, it comes slowly. You dread it, it comes quickly.
I had thrown the idea at my mom, having dinner with halmeoni and Hoya's parents, and quickly suggested something else after but she was quick to agree with halmeoni's dinner idea.
"I'd love to meet her!" She said. "I've heard so much about her."
I sighed and got dressed. "Omma, I'll come to your hotel and we'll go together, alright?"
"No need, Hana, the restaurant is just down the road from the restaurant! We can walk there ourselves," she said. "You go with halmeoni, alright?"
"No, omma, she's going with Hoya's mom, they're here also."
"Hoya? Omo, who is that? A boy?"
I sighed. "Yes, omma, he's a boy."
"Do you - " I cut her off.
"I'll see you at the hotel."

I sat at the bus stop, shivering the cold. Halmeoni had told me to dress nicely so I was wearing this funny shirt thing she had bought me with black jeans and high tops. I had my earphones in, trying to distract myself from both the blistering winter wind and the prospect of seeing Hoya again. Just at that moment, a big white van pulled up infront of the bus stop. I looked up. Obviously this wasn't the bus, so why was it driving in the bus lane......?
"Aigoo! Hana! What are you doing? It's cold!"
I looked up. Halmeoni was leaning out of the front seat.
"Halmeoni, I'm catching the bus to the restaurant. I'll see you guys there."
"Omo, are you mad? Get in the car! There's no way I'm letting you catch the bus in this weather! You'll get frostbite!"
I was fully aware of the fact that Hoya's mother, father, and Hoya himself were in the car as well. I refused to get in.
"No, it's okay halmeoni. I'm fine. The bus is almost here anyway."
"GET IN, OR I'LL TELL HOYA TO GET OFF THE CAR AND CARRY YOU," she said threateningly.
"Halmeoni," I whined, looking at her meaningfully. "Please!"
"You don't have to talk to him, Hana," she lowered her voice. "Just please, get in the car!"
I groaned and got up. Halmeoni beamed at me.

I opened the car door cautiously to be met with two unfamiliar faces, and one that made my heart beat faster.
"Hi, nice to meet you Mr and Mrs Lee, I'm Hana." I bowed deeply before getting into the car.
They smiled widely, giving me a vibe of warmth and happiness that did not seem to radiate from Hoya. He was wearing a light blue button up shirt, similar to the ones that I always saw Woohyun wearing, and black jeans. His hair was gelled up nicely and I noticed he was wearing a ring on his right hand.
"Hi, Hana!" He greeted me warmly.
"Hi."
I ignored him and climbed into the seat as far away from his as possible.

After arriving at the restaurant under an extremely tense silence in the car, I thanked Hoya's parents for the ride and walked quickly into the restaurant, anxious to see my parents. But they hadn't arrived yet, so I was stuck chilling with Hoya while the parents went to find our table.
"I hope this dinner ends early so I can go back to the dorm and hang out with Yoona," he said, breaking the tense silence and typing something furiously on his phone.
Hang out with Yoona. There was no, "oh, Hana, how are you injuries? Are you feeling okay after falling on your at iceskating?" or "I'm really excited to meet your parents!" or any witty greeting that he used to greet with me with. My heart twisted painfully in my chest. Why had Hoya changed so much after having a girlfriend? He was like a complete different person after meeting her, and I felt like I was losing him. Losing the Hoya that was so cheerful, funny, caring and sweet to both halmeoni and I every Sunday. Losing the Hoya that would watch Dream High with halmeoni and I while insulting Kim Soohyun, but I knew secretly enjoyed. Instead, there was this cold and heartless person sitting next to me playing angry birds on his phone instead of talking to me. I bit my lip, fighting back tears again.

Finally my parents arrived and we sat down at our table. I was sitting next to my mother and halmeoni while Hoya was wedged between his mother and father. Our fathers were talking animatedly about some new tool. Our mothers were talking about a new brand of BB cream that had just been released. Hoya was busy texting someone, leaving halmeoni and I to talk quietly.
"Why is Hoya so grumpy, Hana?" She asked me.
"I dunno," I shrugged. "But I think he was supposed to go on a date with Yoona today, but this dinner - "
Halmeoni cut me off. "Silly boy! Let me scold him later when we go home. That brainless, stupid - "
"Excuse me," a waiter cut in. "This is your first course."

We ate and ate and ate. Luckily there was no more mention of Yoona throughout the night, and Hoya's mother insisted she and I swap seats so she could talk closer with my mother about said BB cream. So I ended up sitting next to Hoya. I could see that he was in a very bad mood. He was frowning at his phone and had his arms crossed. He looked up and glared at me.
"Woah," I said, putting my arms up defensively. "I'm sorry you have to sit next to me, but my mom wants to talk closer to yours. I'll move if it bothers you so much." I was annoyed now. Just because I wasn't Yoona, doesn't mean that he had the right to be in a bad mood and take it out on me just because I was sitting next to him.
Hoya grunted and looked away. "Why don't you go home?" I asked bitterly. "If you don't want to be here so much."
I had gone past the point where I cared anymore. This wasn't the Hoya I knew. This was someone else.
"I wish I could," he muttered, keeping his eyes on the door. "I'm so bored here. I'm wasting my time."
My eyes narrowed. I felt like swearing. "You're what? Did you just say what I heard you say? You're wasting your TIME here?"
He looked at me weirdly, arms crossed. "Yeah. You heard me."
I started to raise my voice. "Hoya, I don't know what's gotten into you these few weeks but - "
I was glaring at him but then all of a sudden his face changed and he got up from his seat.
"Yeobo~" he cooed. I spun around to see Yoona entering the restaurant.
"Eugh," I coughed. I stood up too. I couldn't stand being in the same room as those two. "I'm sorry," I bowed to my parents, Hoya's parents and halmeoni. "But I'm not feeling well. I think I'm going to go home and rest. Thankyou for the lovely meal."
I caught halmeoni's eye and nodded a little. She looked at me sympathetically and grimaced. "I'll come check on you later, Hana. Be safe, okay?"
I nodded and walked out of the restaurant. I breathed in a deep breath of air and enjoyed the night sky.