Tai Chi

Halmeoni

Hana POV

I sighed and plopped down on my couch. It was finally the weekend. My first week of school had been....eventful, not to mention long. Never had I ever seen so many snobby, conceited students all bunched together in one classroom listening to an equally high-horsed teacher who seemed to be more worried about lunch break than alpha, beta and gamma radiation. I groaned and rolled over, making myself comfortable on the couch.

I closed my eyes, planning to rest them for five minutes before showering, eating and beginning to conquer my growing pile of homework but when I next opened them, it was five hours later and 10pm. I groaned again and walked into my bedroom. I fell face down onto my covers, not bothering to shower, eat nor wash my face, and fell asleep immediately.

Knock knock. Knock knock. Knock knock. Knock knock.

I lie in my bed, perfectly awake but not moving one inch to open the door.
"Go away," I groaned. "I'm still sleeping."

Knock knock. Knock knock. Knock knock. Knock knock.

The knocking wouldn't stop.

"ARGH! I'M COMING!" I yelled angrily, putting on my slippers. "IT'S 5AM IN THE MORNING, SERIOUSLY, WHO KNOCKS THE DOOR THIS EARLY - "
I opened the door. "Oh! Sorry! Uh, hi halmeoni! What's up?"
I hurriedly fixed my clothes and tried to flatten my hair.
"Aigoo, Hana," she said, eyeing me up and down uncertainly. "Have you showered? Why are you still asleep?!"
"Halmeoni, it's only 5am, why wouldn't I be aslee - "
She cut me off, apparently not hearing me.
"Get dressed! My tai chi class starts in half an hour!"
"Halmeoni, I'm really tired and I have lots of - "
"And maybe take a shower, Hana, you smell a bit....." she sniffed the air. "Funny. Can I come in?"

Before I could say a word, she stepped in and sat down on the couch.
"Halmeoni, I'm tired from school," I said, pouring her some tea. "I really don't want to go....."
"No, I won't take no for an answer, Hana. Tai chi is good for you, and the class only goes for an hour and a half."
My eyes bulged out of my head. "Halmeoni, I can't, I uh, have a project on, um, radiation due on Monday, so, uh, I need to.....do it."
I trailed off lamely.
Halmeoni looked at me testily. I groaned loudly. "Please, halmeoni! I'm so sleepy!"
She stood up and started pushing me toward the shower. Damn, she was strong for a seventy year old woman.
"Chop chop, Hana. And dress well!" She paused. "Hoya will be there too."

The three of us stood in the courtyard below our apartment. Halmeoni was dressed in an old fashioned, traditional Chinese suit complete with hobo-like slippers. Hoya was wearing a purple muscle single with grey trackpants rolled up one leg and I wore a white short sleeved hoodie amd grey trackpants. I had my hood over my head, eyes closed and arms crossed. I wasn't sure what Hoya was doing but I could ear halmeoni chattering loudly and excitedly to a group of her friends. They were all dressed in the same attire, which I found extrememly cute.

"Hana," Hoya whispered.
I jumped and yelled. "AH! Hoya, you scared me."
I rubbed my eyes and yawned. "It's way too early to be functioning right now."
He chuckled. "You'll get used to it."
My eyes snapped opened. "What do you mean, get used to it? I'm not doing this every week?"
Hoya looked at me. I groaned. "No way, no way. I mean, I love halmeoni and all, but I need to sleep! Ah!"
I plopped onto the ground and lay down, flinging my arm over my eyes to block out the early morning sunlight. I stayed like that for a few seconds before a whistle rang shrilly, right in my ear.

"Hana! Wake up!" Halmeoni yelled, crouching down and blowing the whistle. Hoya laughed.
"Omo! Halmeoni, I'm going to go deaf!" My ear was ringing. "I'm awake now!"
"Good." She patted me on the back. "Time for class."

The group of about twenty of us, all elderly women and men except for Hoya and I moved toward the playground.
"Everyone! We have a new class member today! Everyone wave to Hana!" The old lady, presumably the instructor, stood up on the aparatus and pointed at me. Everyone turned around and waved to me. I turned a little red and bowed.

The same lady who introduced me began to move to a small radio propped up against the slide. It was old fashioned Chinese music, just like the kind you hear in the old kungfu movies. I gaped at the woman. Hoya, beside me, nudged me.
"Come on, Hana," he hissed. "We have to follow her instruction."
I frowned and tried to copy her move. It was extremely difficult; one had to twist their left leg while leaning forward with their body weight on the right leg with moving their arms in a sweeping, circular motion.
I wobbled a little.
"Hey," Hoya grabbed my elbow, laughing quietly. "Be careful. Make your stance smaller."
I looked over at him in awe. He was following the instructor move by move, executing the positions perfectly and in time with the music. Hoya's facial expression was super serious as he followed with a look of admiration on his face. I snorted and tried to copy him, looking at him instead of the lady standing on the playground. I snorted.

"Yah! Are you mocking me?!" He asked, eyeing my stance which was exaggerated.
"No! I'm not mocking you. No-o way." I stifled a laugh.
Hoya smiled. "Whatever, Hana. You'll be as good as me......one day."
"SHHHHH!"
The grandpa infront of us turned around and sprayed me with spit.
"Eww..." I whispered, wiping my face with my sleeve.
Hoya laughed. "Serves you right! Now shush."

I tried to look for halmeoni. She was standing at the front, completing every move enthusiastically and sometimes beating the instructor to changing to the next move while Hoya and I stood at the back. I smiled and held the pose, another difficult one, for the required two minutes.
"Hoya," I puffed, feeling my face go red. "My leg hurts!"
I wobbled again and collapsed on the ground.
"Aigoo, Hana," he said, twisting out of the position and bending down to help me. "Are you okay?"
I nodded. "Yes, tai chi master!" I saluted him and got up and tried again. He smiled and shook his head. "Babo," he whispered, looking at me.
Luckily, I pretended not to hear him but concentrated on my breathing.

Finally, after a gruelling hour and a half, Hoya, halmeoni and I rode in the elevator back up to our apartment.
"My back hurts," I complained, downing a bottle of water.
Hoya chuckled and wiped his sweat with a towel while halmeoni combed her hair.
"Ow, I think I hurt my wrist too." I bent it and moved it around in a circle.
"Aish! Stop complaining, Hana," halmeoni said. "You'll get used to it! Hoya was the same as you after his first class!"
I looked at him and he rolled his eyes, smiling affectionately at halmeoni. "I wasn't as bad as Hana, halmeoni! Give me some credit!"
She laughed. "That's true. Hana, I thought girls were supposed to be flexible?" She laughed, hitting me.
I gaped at her. "Halmeoni!"
"I'm joking," she snorted. "Now, who's making breakfast?!"