Burger

Halmeoni

After the funeral, Hoya, Yoona and Woohyun decided to go eat, choosing to drag me alone despite my complaints to Woohyun that my eyes were puffy and I needed to go home to change. He ignored all this and pulled me into Hoya's car, where we sat at the back next to each other. Hoya opened his mouth to saything something - I didn't know what - but before he could say anything, Yoona hopped into the front seat and he immediately closed his mouth.

"Hana, you look fine. Still so pretty," he cooed, pinching my cheeks.
I turned slightly red and looked away, accidently making eye contact with Hoya in the rear view mirror. He looked, for some reason, murderous.
"Aw, you two are so cute!" Yoona exclaimed from the front seat, turning around. "How long have you guys been going out?"
Hoya made a strangled noise from behind the wheel.
"They're not going out," Hoya said through gritted teeth and slamming down on the brakes excessively at the lights. We all jolted forward and risked getting whiplash. I glared at him, rubbing my neck. "They're just friends. Friends."
"Uh, okay baby, sorry." Yoona looked at him weirdly. I noticed that Hoya's knuckles had turned white around the wheel he was gripping it so hard. What was going on?

Before anything else could cause the atmosphere to become more tense than it already was in the car, we arrived at the restaurant and sat down at a table where Hoya and Yoona sat on one side and Woohyun and I sat on the other.

"What do you guys want?" Yoona asked, reading the menu. "I heard the burgers here are really good!"
I nodded.
Woohyun added, "and the pork ribs! Mmm." He rubbed his stomach "I'm so hungry. Let's order!"
He motioned at the waiter who came over.
"What can I get you guys today," he said in a flat tone.
Hoya spoke up. "One vegetarian burger, one large pork rib meal set, a beef burger and Hana what do you want?"
"Ummm....." I quickly glanced down at my menu. "Squid salad."
"And a squid salad, please." Hoya gathered the menus and handed it to waiter.
"Wait!" I exclaimed a bit too loudly. I bit my lip as the waiter turned around.
"Yea, miss?"
"Make sure the beef burger has no pickles," I said sheepishly, touching at my neck.
The waiter looked down at his order book. "Miss, are you or are you not having squid salad?"
I nodded. "I am. It's just, well, Hoya doesn't like pickles."
Everyone looked at me weirdly. And I pretty much agreed with them. I had done it purely out of habit; everytime Hoya and I would go out for a burger he would always forget to tell them no pickles, and when the burger came he would always insist that they got his order wrong, and it was me who had to go and ask for another burger. Old habit die hard, I guess.
"Okay miss. No pickle hamburger, vegetarian burger, pork rib set and squid salad coming right up."
Hoya looked at me strangely. It was like a mixture of gratitude, confusion and something else I could quite place. I brushed it off as kind of embarrassed.

We sat there in silence. Hoya was immensely interested in his nail beds, Yoona her in split ends, Woohyun his twitter and me trying to recreate the difficult napkin shape they had presented at the table. I noticed Woohyun watching me and I stopped folding, feeling very self conscious all of a sudden.

"What," I asked defensively.
"Do you realize you're folding it all wrong?"
"I am not!" I folded my arms and pouted a little. "If you're so good, then teach me!"
"Fine. Here, first you gotta fold it on half neatly like this...."
I tried to follow him but somehow my napkin went crooked just as I was about to make the crease deeper.
"Hana - no - you gotta.....no, fold it like this!" He grabbed my napkin and folded it in half.
"Hey! Don't snatch! I can do it myself!" I folded it carefully under his gaze, and also Yoona's and Hoya's as I had now caught their attention.

Woohyun started to laugh at me. "Oh my God, Hana you can't even fold a napkin in half!" He clutched his stomach, choking on his laughter in big gasps.
"Hey!" I reached over and swatted his head. "Don't laugh at me!"
I giggled as he dodged and made a funny face at me, sticking out his tongue and pulling at his ear lobes.
"Kim Hana BABO!"
I reached over to flick his forehead but Hoya interrupted.
"FOOD'S HERE," he said loudly above Woohyun and I's bickering. "TIME TO EAT!"
He rattled the cutlery excessively and began to eat.

We ate in silence. Yoona was delicately slicing her burger like an open sandwich while Hoya chewed like a horse, loudly and unnecessarily. Woohyun next to me was inhaling his pork and I was busy pouring dressing all over my salad to ensure even distribution.

Woohyun nudged me. "Is that good?" He asked me with his mouth full.
I chuckled and nodded. "Want some?"
He nodded and I spooned a mouthful of squid into his mouth.
His eyes lit up. "Mmm! Hey, give me some more," he said, trying to stab some squid onto his fork.
"Hey." I slapped his hand away. "Give me some pork rib and maybe we can talk."
He shrugged. "Here." He put his fork with a whole chunk of meat into my mouth and I chewed it off hungrily.
"Not as good as mine," I teased after I finished chewing his pork, smiling.
"Whatever. Now give me squid."

"Are you sure you two aren't going out?" Yoona cooed appreciatively, beaming at us. "So cute!"
Hoya banged his hand on the table. He seemed to take a few deep breaths before storming off to the restrooms. Yoona shot us a worried look before following him. I could hear her call out "honey?" to him.

I looked at Woohyun but he shrugged What was wrong with Hoya today?

"Woohyun, are idols allowed to have girlfriends?" I asked him curiously.
He nodded enthusiastically. "Of course! I have one!"
I turned to look at him incredulously. "Really?! What's her name? Idols these days," I sighed.
"Seungyeon! Here's a picture of her."
He whipped out his phone and showed me the background. I reached over and hit the back of his head.
"Hey! Isn't she from Kara?"
He smiled crookedly. "Well, I can dream, can't I?"
I gave snorted. "Anything is possible if you just believe, Woohyun!"
 He laughed at my nonsense.
"And in answer to your question, " he replied, "Hoya and Yoona are going out so yes. But our CEO doesn't know," he added.  But I heard him.
"What? What if he finds out? What if your fans find out? Won't this ruin all of your careers?"
He shrugged nonchalantly. "I'll worry about that when it comes."
I gaped at him. Woohyun was so brave to have a mindset like that.
"But why did she go to the funeral? I don't think halmeoni really liked her?"
"I dunno. But I don't think Hoya wanted her there either, because some of the guests might get suspicious and say something. I think she may have invited herself." He paused. "But Hoya, being Hoya, can't tell her to go away  so of course he'll put up with her. For the time being." Woohyun ate some bread. I think he was mostly talking to himself now, but I listened. "He was meaning to break up with her before debut. To avoid complications. But she is really clingy. Like....unbelievably clingy. And would freak if he even mentioned the words "can we talk." You know she likes to come to our dorm sometimes just to see if Hoya's been using her pillowcase she made him?" He pulled a face. "But Lee Howon is a man that struggles to tell people how he feels. Or hurting anybody. So I guess they're still together because Hoya can't become a man and break up with her."

I sat there, absorbing all this. Hoya, unable to hurt anyone? Was Woohyun kidding me?

"Hyung. Can I talk to you outside?"
Hoya had come back from the toilet and seemed to have adopted an iron control. I could see his fists clenched at his sides. Why was he so angry, I wondered? Was it something I did? I hadn't done anything except hang out with Woohyun all day.
Woohyun, oblivious to all this, was secretly stealing squid off my plate as I looked curiously at Hoya. He avoided my eyes and continued to glare at Woohyun. Was it something he had done?
"Okay. Let's go. I'm done." He looked up. "What's wrong, Hoya?"
"Outside. Now." He demanded and left the restaurant.
Woohyun swallowed his last piece of bread and got up, looking at me curiously. I shrugged.

That left Yoona and I at the table, alone for the very first time since we met. Come to think of it, I had never really spoken to her before.
"So," She said awkwardly, clearing . "How long have you known Hoya?"
I looked up. "About four or five years, I think?" I scratched my head. I couldn't actually remember.
"Wow, really? That's ages," she commented.
Silence.

All of a sudden, the waiter who had served us rushed up to our table looking all flustered.
"Misses, your boyfriends are fighting outside in the carpark!"
We both stood up and rushed outside to see Woohyun and Hoya pushing each other into the ground. Well, it was mostly Woohyun doing the pushing as Hoya didn't really fight back.

"Do - you - know - how - upset - you've - made - her - all - these years?" Woohyun articulated each of these words with a punch.
I gulped. They were talking about me. I didn't want Hoya to know what he did to me because those were my own issues to deal with, and not his. But I felt like it wasn't my place to interfere.
"How have I made her upset? I didn't even do anything!" Hoya yelled back, wiping his lip.
"That's exactly it! You didn't do anything!" Woohyun replied angrily. "So you have no right to be jealous when I'm nice to her, just because you weren't!"
Hoya faltered. "I'm not....jealous! You're just gonna hurt her in the end like you do to all your girlfriends!"
"So?! Even if I do, what's that to you? You're not going out with her, you're not related, you don't like her, you don't care for her so why does it even matter to you?"
Hoya paused, as if Woohyun had hit home. "I - well, I don't - "
"You don't have an argument, do you?" Woohyun looked at Hoya pityingly who was just slumped on the ground after the harshness of his words.
"We're not going out," Woohyun said flatly. "I love her like my sister."
My heart soared at these affectionate words. I felt exactly the same way - Woohyun was like my brother.
Hoya looked up, seeing Yoona and I standing there with our hearts in our throats.
He glanced at me with intense eyes before pulling Yoona away.

"Woohyun, let's go. Are you okay?"
He nodded. "I just want some icecream now."