Iceskating

Halmeoni

Hana POV

"Halmeoni, have you got enough clothes on?" I asked her worriedly as we waited for the bus.
"Aigoo, Hana, I'm fine! Have YOU got enough on?"
I nodded. "I have five layers, plus my thermals on." I smiled widely. "I think I'm set!"
She laughed. "Okay. Here, help halmeoni onto the bus, my hips have been a little sore lately," she said the bus arrived.
"Good morning," I bowed to the bus driver. "Is it possible to lower the ramp for my halmeoni?"
He smiled. "Of course. Here......"
The ramp shot down and halmeoni got onto the bus with ease. "Thankyou, sir!"
"No problem," the bus driver replied. "Nice granddaugther you have, halmeoni!"
She smiled. "I know, right?"
I turned red. Everyone on the bus was looking at me. "Let's go sit down, please, halmeoni, now!"
I ushered her into a seat and sat down next to her.
"Hoya is meeting us there?" She asked me.
I nodded. "I think going to the iceskating rink is closer from his dorm than coming here and going again."

Truthfully, I wasn't 100% ready to see Hoya again, and I almost pretended to be sick so I didn't have to go but Hoya bailed at the last minute on coming to halmeoni's apartment to take her there, so I had no chance but to go also.

When we arrived at the ice skating rink, I escorted halmeoni carefully in. I was hoping that Hoya was really, as he claimed last week, to be good at iceskating because I was very worried about halmeoni on the ice. I scanned the busy ice rink but couldn't see Hoya so I decided to get our skates first.
"Good morning," the man said. "What size would you like?
"Sir," I said, leaning in closer. "I was wondering if you, uh, had any old skates?" I tilted my head over to halmeoni, who was busy watching some small children.
"Ah! Yes, we do. I'm glad you asked." He reached under the counter and grabbed a pair of skates with two metal blades instead of the normal one blade.
"Ah! Thankyou so much," I bowed. "I'm size 8."
The man handed us our skates and we went to the area to put them on.
"Halmeoni-ah, stretch out your foot a little bit! I can't - " I grunted as I tried to put on halmeoni's skates. They seemed a little....small.
"Omo, Hana, you have to undo this buckle first." A voice sounded in my ear.
I jumped. "Ah!" I looked up. "Oh, Hoya....you scared me. You put them on then!" I said defensively.
"Can't. I need to get skates with Yoona."
"Y-yoona?" I said, my heart sinking once again. Lately, my sinking heart had been a feeling I associated with Hoya.
"Yep. I invited, hope that's okay." He said it more of a statement than a question. "Also, I invited Woohyun, halmeoni, like you asked! He might be a bit late though." He winked at her.
Halmeoni, with half a shoe on her foot, smiled widely at Hoya. "That's my boy! But, son, why did you invite a girl?"
"Oh wait, halmeoni. YOONA!" He yelled. "Come here!" She hurried over. "Halmeoni, meet Yoona. Yoona, this is halmeoni. My girlfriend," he beamed.
"Oh." Halmeoni did not try mask the disappointment in her voice at all. "Hi."
Yoona bowed. "Halmeoni, it's really nice to meet you. Hoya told me so much about you!"
Halmeoni stole a glance at me. I was sitting on the edge of the bench, far away from where Hoya and Yoona were, biting my lip and holding in my tears until I could taste blood.

I watched in jealously as Hoya guided, or rather, towed, Yoona around the rink. I mean, I wasn't the best at skating myself but at least I could keep my own balance. I didn't need someone to tow me around the rink. I sat there, sulking, remembering Hoya's promise to show me how to skate properly. Luckily, halmeoni had spotted a group of her tai chi friends at the rink so she was off with them, leaving me to well in my own sadness alone. I sighed as I watched Hoya skate effortlessly backwards while Yoona struggled to hold her own balance. Hoya wasn't lying - he really was good at skating.
"You still haven't told me why you were crying that night," a voice next to me sounded.
"I wasn't crying," I said flatly, eyeing him. Even in minus two degree weather, this guy could still afford to keep his hoodie open, revealing his nicely built chest. "Are you cold?"
He shook his head, smiling, revealing his eye smile and white teeth. "I'm Woohyun."
"Hi, Woohyun." I said, my eyes not leaving Hoya and Yoona who were now giggling raucously at each other.
"Well? Aren't you going to tell me your name?"
"Hana," I replied, still not taking my eyes off the two of them. Hoya was slowly taking his hands away from Yoona so she could stand by herself on the ice, but she kept giggling and hugging him closer.
"Eugh," I said, mostly to myself, shuddering. Woohyun followed my gaze.
"How long?" He asked.
"How long what?" I replied, looking at him, taken aback.
"How long have you loved him?"
"What?! Are you mad?"
"No, I'm not mad. Anyone can see that. The way you look at him gives it away. You should be more subtle, Hana-shii."
"I-I-don't love him!" I said defensively. "I don't know what you're talking about. I'm going to skate now, bye."
I got up and walked carefully over to the side of the rink and started skating slowly.

Before I could even take a breath, I felt someone bump into me, hard, from behind. The person flailed their arms, grabbing onto my hood and strangling me and dragging me down to the ground with her.
I lay there, breathing. I think I broke my arm - it hurt so much. But I could move it, so I guess I was okay.
"Omo! I'm so sorry!" I opened my eyes. It was Yoona. Figures, right? "Hana-shii? What are you doing here?"
What am I doing here? What am I doing here?! Why does everyone ask me that?!
"I was just skating happily before I got crashed into," I said bitterly.
"Omo! Yoona! Are you okay?" Hoya came skating quickly and almost chopped off my fingers with my skates if I didn't move them in the last minute. "What happened? Who did this to you?"
She started crying. Huh? But I was the one with a bloody lip and twisted wrist? She seemed to be uninjured.
"Here, grab onto my hand, I'll help you up. Let's go to the first aid tent." Hoya bent down and helped her up and together they walked off the ice.
I lay there, still on the ice, tears welling in my eyes. Was that even the Hoya I knew? Did he not even see me, lying there? I heaved a sigh and hoped to die then and there on the ice.
"Hey, are you okay? Come on, get up! What are you doing, just lying on the ice? People are looking!" I opened my eyes and saw Woohyun leaning over me.
"Omo! You're crying again! What's wrong now?" He looked around worriedly.
"Nothing," I wiped my tears. "I'm fine. I just want to go home."