Letter

Halmeoni

"HOYA!!!" I yelled, puffing. "COME HELP ME - LIFT - T-THIS...argh!"
I let go of the heavy box I was carrying and fell onto the floor. Hoya came rushing over to see what was wrong.
"Omgod! Hana! What happened? Are you okay?"
I nodded, rubbing my where I had landed gingerly.
"I'm fine," I smiled bravely. "Just help me move that box!"
"Careful," I said as he bent down to lift it. "It's really heavy!"
Hoya leaned down and grabbed the box, scoffing.
"Heavy? Aigoo Hana, I could lift this with my pinky!"
He stuck out his tongue at me and I scrunched up my face in reply.

Hoya and I were cleaning out halmeoni's apartment. It was in her will that she was to sell it and donatprobe funds to the National Tai Chi Association. Hoya's parents had offered to hire some clean up people to complete the job but we insisted on doing this last thing for halmeoni together, just like how we had met - together.

"Whatever, Hoya! Maybe you're stronger than me but......" I struggled to find something I was better at than him. "But I'll kick your in calculus any day!"
I crossed my arms and smiled at him triumphantly.
He groaned and came sit next to me on the floor.
"You know when we were training, we were forced to do maths sums as well? It was horrible," he groaned, shuddering at the memory.
"Hey." I leaned over and smacked his arm. "Calculus sums make me relaxed."
He snorted and slapped my leg. "Get up, maths brain. We still need to sort out this stuff!"
I closed my eyes and shook my head. "My legs hurt, Hoya," I complained. I tried to give him puppy eyes but he just looked at me weird and mimed vomiting and gagging.
At this, I jumped up and started chasing him around the apartment, threatening to flick his forehead and pull out his baby hairs.
"NOOOO!" He cried loudly like a child as he dodged and ducked my fingers with the agility of a ballet dancer. "You'll never catch me!"
And with that, he slipped over something on the floor and landed with a splat.

"Omo, Hoya, are you okay?!" I quickly rushed to where he was lying.
He growled. "Yea, I'm okay," he replied, rubbing his . I chuckled. "Who leaves letters in envelopes where people can slip on them?! Aish, really....."
He picked up the strange letters that were hidden under the couch which had just been moved out and got ready to tear them in half for causing his so much embarrassment and pain when I read it and saw halmeoni's handwriting on the front, addressed to Hoya and I.
"Wait!" I yelled. "Is that halmeoni's handwriting?"
Hoya's hand stopped halfway and he turned his head, reading, eyes popping open.

He looked at me silently and I nodded, urging him to go on. His hands were shaking slightly. My hands had gone all sweaty but I sat on them or they would be shaking too.
"Hoya...." I whispered. "I'm scared."
A letter addressed to us, from halmeoni? How would she know that we would be the ones to find it? What if we never did find it? What did the letter say? Would it be bad? Good? Would it say things I didnt want to know about her? Things that were bad, and would tarnish my image of her forever?
Hoya seemed to share these thoughts as he laced his fingers in mine and gripped my hand tightly.

"Should we open it?" He whispered.
I nodded silently.
With unsteady hands, he tore open the paper of the envelope carefully and unfolded the paper underneath. It was a page of writing in halmeoni's trademark slanted prose.

Dear Hoya and Hana.
By the time you're reading this, I'll already be gone. But don't worry, because you can rest knowing that I'm in a better place - a place where I'm with my tai chi friends all day long and we do nothing but drink my special soup and eat my Sunday breakfast. Well, at least I hope I can!

I'm just writing to tell you two thankyou for everything you have done for me. You two have been here when nobody else has - you spent your Sundays with a loony old 'grandma' who liked Dream High when i lnow you cpuldve been out soing more fun and exciting things. Oh, I hope Dream High 2 will be good! You two must watch it for me, okay? I do love that boy from 2am - very handsome.

Hoya, my grandson. You have so much potential in this world and I know you will succeed. Do what you love, and love what you do. And never forget: halmeoni will always be watching you, supporting you from above. I may be gone but I'll always be here for you in spirit. Oh my grandson, I love you dearly. I know how much you've cared for me over the years and how you've hardly told me anything about your parents and your life because you're afraid you'll burden me. You're afraid of success because you know with great success comes failure and criticism. You're afraid of speaking up because you're afraid of being ridiculed but son, don't worry. If its one thing that I've learnt is that life is too short to be worried about what others think. And with this in mind, Howon, I know you will succeed to heights the industry has never seen before in Infinite.

Hana, oh my sweet Hana. From the day you offered to buy me mushrooms to the day you put on a heat patch for me, I have known that you are something special. You're as good as a granddaughter of my own - I treasure you that much. And the way you've looked after me, cared for me when I was sick....all halmeoni can say is that she is eternally grateful for all that you have done for me. I know how much you miss your parents in Jangseong. I know how much stress that school places on you to do well. I know how hard you work, only to fail and be shot down. But don't you know that all that matters is you tried your best? That is all anyone can ask for. And that's all halmeoni is asking you for, for the rest of your life. Try your best and do your best, and you will gain the best.

As for you two together, you both are as blind as bats. Is it not as obvious to you two as it is to me? That you two are destined to be together? It doesn't take a genius like Hana or a dance machine like Hoya to put two and two together. Opposites attract yet opposites balance each other out. Do you guys know that? You need to be together already. And when you guys are 'official', or whatever the young kids call it these days, pay me a visit. Because then I'll be at complete harmony  knowing that the two most caring, loving and talented people in the world have each other; that it's you two against the world and that you two will protect each other from anything and everything. Then halmeoni will be happy.

Hoya and Hana ah, it's time for me to stop writing. Hana, you're coming back from the pharmacy soon with my medicine and ah truthfully, I'm not sure how long I have left. Hoya, how I wish you were here - although I know you're out there chasing your dream, I can write this truthfully saying that my dream is for you both to be healthy and happy. Please live your lives to the fullest and with no regrets because that is the only way to do it.

Yours forever,
Halmeoni.


My breath caught a little in my throat and I sat there in silence, waiting for Hoya to finish reading.
When he looked up, his eyes were full of tears. I scooted closer to him and wrapped my arms around his shoulders, comforting him. I knew that he felt guilty at times for moving away to Seoul to become a trainee, which was when halmeoni started to get sick
"Don't think about it too much, Hoya," I soothed, rubbing his back.
He just stared at me tearfully, and a silent wave of understanding passed between us. That I wasn't angry at him, and therefore halmeoni wouldn't be. That not once did halmeoni blame him for leaving her for chasing his dream, which she had said in her letter.
"She's so silly!" Hoya half sobbed, half laughed. "Why would she hide it under the couch? Where no one would see it unless they were cleaning out her apartment?"
We thought for a minute.
Then understanding dawned on me. "Hoya, its because she knew we'd be the ones cleaning up her house after writing it in her will - it's like she wanted us to find ourselves." I paused. "Should we go visit her?"

Hoya nodded tearfully and we left the apartment, all messy and out of place, to get in Hoya's car to drive to the cemetery.

It was the first time that either of us were able to come visit her grave, Hoya busy with Infinite and I busy with university. We held hands and stepped silently over the gravestones until we reached halmeoni's, a small rectangular marble one tucked into the corner of the garden. I placed down the flowers we bought before coming here and we knelt down.

Hoya and I stayed silent for a few seconds, each thinking of our own memories of halmeoni and how she had helped us in so many ways without us actually knowing.
"Halmeoni," Hoya began, sniffling and squeezing my hand. "We're going out now!" He out a choked sob. "I finally got over my blindness. You can rest in peace now because I'll protect and love Hana forever." He bowed.

"Halmeoni," I spoke up, leaning my head on Hoya's shoulder. "Hoya finally got over his blindness -" I felt him elbow me in the stomach - "and we'll be happy, forever. We miss you so much," I whispered.
And as we stayed there, we didn't need to say anything. No words needed because the love we three felt was beyond words.

The sun shone brightly above us. From far away, we looked like two grandchildren visiting our grandmother once a year for her deathday anniversary, forced by our parents. But we were much different. The three of us, halmeoni, Hoya and I had gone through so much. And halmeoni was much more that a grandmother to us - she was our guardian star, always watching us from above while studiously watching Dream High 2.

 

__________________

thanks for reading guys! im really sorry im posting this this late but i got distracted last night by big bang on running man LOL -.-

THIS IS THE FINAL CHAPTER! :'( THANKYOU SO MUCH FOR READING kaFHSKDFHVSD it means the world to me that you guys take time out of your day to read what i write....seriously and your comments make me feel so happy!

seventy subscribers omgod i cant explain how happy this makes me OMG!! thats so many guys thankyou each and every one for reading! thankyou for reading, commenting, subscribing, anticipating....JUST EVERYTHING, THANKYOU! T.T you guys are the best and i feel sad that this story is ending, i'm attatched to this so much 3

i'm starting a new story starring WOOHYUN! please check it out if you have the time keke THANKYOU! :D

comment and tell me what you think! i'd love to get to know you and i don't bite LOL ;)