Audition

Halmeoni

Hana POV

My days of living in Busan blurred. I would attend school five days a week and spend Saturday catching up on my homework, then spend the whole day Sunday with halmeoni and Hoya. I had to admit, life was pretty good. School was difficult, but I was always up for a challenge. I always joked with Hoya that tai chi was more difficult than my physics homework while he looked at me like I was mad. I was also getting better at tai chi week by week, and halmeoni no longer found me an embarrasment to her reputation, even though she never directly told me. But I could sense it.

One early Sunday morning, I walked down to the playground to meet Hoya and halmeoni for tai chi class. I stretched and hummed while I waited for them to come down. I was feeling slightly jittery for no particular reason. I was really excited to see Hoya because I had been working on my tai chi positions and I couldn't wait to show them off to him. But he never came to class that week.

"Halmeoni! Good morning," I bowed, looking around. "Where is Hoya?"
"Oh, he went to Seoul this weekend for some audition."
My heart beat faster. I remember Hoya telling me about an audition he had been practising hard for, but I never knew it was this week.
I tried to stay casual, but inside I was really disappointed that he didn't come. "When will he be back?"
"He comes back tomorrow." I must've looked worried, because halmeoni laughed at me. "Don't worry Hana, he'll be safe. He told me that half of his school went together for the audition, so he'll be fine! Let's go to class. Do you want to stand with me at the front?"
I nodded.

Throughout the class, I couldn't really concentrate because I kept thinking about Hoya and his audition. I hope he makes it, I thought. He always told me about his dream to become a rapper, dancer and singer. I knew he was good too, because I often heard him singing in the shower on Sunday mornings after tai chi whilst cooking breakfast. Part of me was worried too. If he got in, which I knew he would, he would have to move to Seoul to become a trainee. And I didn't want that to happen, because that would mean I would have no friends in Busan except for halmeoni.

"Hana," halmeoni hissed. "Concentrate!"
"Sorry." I shook my head, as if to clear my thoughts, and focused on the instructor, the thought of Hoya never really leaving my mind.

"Whose turn is it to make breakfast?" Halmeoni asked as we rode the lift back up to her apartment.
We had drawn up a roster and pinned it up on the fridge, saying who would make breakfast every week. Halmeoni placed herself twice in a row followed by me for a week and then Hoya. This meant that we had to eat twice the amount of her Sunday Special breakfast, which would make me gag and splutter at the horrendous combinations halmeoni placed on the plate. When it was my turn, I would make bacon and eggs, and when it was Hoya's turn we would go to McDonald's and eat there due to his inabilty to cook.
"It's Hoya's turn this week," I said, reading off the piece of paper. I chuckled. "Trust him to be away just when it's his turn to cook!"
Halmeoni smiled. "So, who is next on the roster? Me, right?"
My face turned pale. "No! I'll cook it this week, halmeoni. Please! You look tired from tai chi."
I prayed to God silently. No Sunday Special breakfast, no Sunday Special breakfast, no Sunday Special breakfast.......

"I am kind of tired, Hana. Will you help me put on a heat patch for my back?"
I nodded. "Of course, halmeoni. Is it in your medicine cabinet? I'll get it for you."
I walked into halmeoni's room, never having been there before, and rumaged around in her cabinet until I found a few stray patches. Halmeoni had a picture of her and Hoya, smiling widely at what looked like the playground where we did tai chi, smiling widely displayed on her bedside table. She also had a picture of her looking lovingly at a man, who was her husband, I guessed, when they were younger. The picture was in black and white, and also damaged around the edges.
"Halmeoni, you were very pretty when you were younger." I commented, lifting up her shirt to put the heat pack on her back.
She smiled and said something incoherently into the sofa which she was lying in.
"Halmeoni, I can't hear what you're saying," I laughed.
She turned her head to the side. "I said, do you want to see pictures of Hoya when he was younger. He was such a cute little baby!"
I nodded. "Yes! Then I can nag him about it forever!" I chuckled evilly.

"This is his first day of school, his primary school picture, first grade, his first dance class, omo!" She covered . "I don't know how that got there!" She flipped past it quickly but I could see it was a picture of baby Hoya in the bath, playing around. I giggled.
"Aigoo, halmeoni, Hoya was so cute when he was little!"
She flicked past many pictures, all of Hoya wearing something purple and sporting a helmet-like, mushroom haircut.
"Did he only recently change his hairstyle?" I snorted
Halmeoni nodded. "Just last year!"

"Hushdkjnsw! aoiwhfoi!"
Halmeoni and I were watching a video of Hoya trying to ride a bike when he was younger. He wobbled and fell to the ground. His mother quickly hurried to help him up. He was crying and his face was all scrunched up. I could also see blood; he had cut his knee falling onto the bricks of his backyard.
He mumbled some nonsense and cried even more.
Halmeoni and I were sitting on the couch, doubled over with silent laughter. I had tears in my eyes and halmeoni was clutching her stomach and taking in deep breaths.
"Can't....breathe!" She wailed, half laughing and half screaming. "My stomach hurts!"
I wiped the tears from my eyes and sniffled loudly. "Omo, Hoya's face....I can't even....ah!"

"What's wrong with my face?" A voice sounded from the doorway.
Hoya walked in and kicked off his shoes. "I thought I was handsome!" He pouted cutely.
Halmeoni and I just looked at him, unable to say a word. Hoya looked at us like we were crazy.
"I brought breakfast?" He held up two large bags of McDonalds. "Sorry, I know tai chi finished an hour ago but my bus was late!"
We just continued laughing.
"YAH! What are you guys laughing at?" He walked into the house and looked at the TV screen. He immediately turned red and turned it off.
"Halmeoni, aigoo, why are you watching these old videos?"
"Hoya! How's your knee?" Halmeoni coughed. I looked at her and she caught my eye.
We just kept laughing while Hoya stood there awkwardly.

After about ten minutes, Halmeoni and I calmed down enough to eat breakfast.
"How was your audition, Hoya?" My heart was beating faster by the minute, now he was here. I felt immediately better, too.
"Good! I think it went well." He paused. "I'll get the results in two weeks."
I patted his arm. "You'll get fine, don't fret! I believe in you."
He smiled. "Thankyou, Hana!"
"What about the boys? I haven't seen them in so long," halmeoni complained.
"Oh, they all said they did well. I don't know. We didn't really talk. I was so nervous," he sighed.
"Bring them sometime! Hana should meet them! Especially that handsome one who always wears his shirt open! I think she'll like him!"
Hoya snorted. "You mean Woohyun hyung? He's so greasy," he added. "I'll ask them to come next week."
"Good! I'll make my special soup for them! Now, let's eat."
Hoya and I looked at each other in horror. Not the special soup.