09: The hospital room

Rollercoaster of a Life time

Currently, I sat in the hospital waiting room, my head in my hands as I gripped at my hair in worry. So far, the day had gone terribly and I could only hope for the best, but something told me that all but the best would happen.

9 HOURS AGO

It's been a week since my grandmother returned from the hospital and at the moment, I was rushing around the house in search of a few things as I realized I was running late. Okay, I wasn't realizing; I knew because I'd overslept after going to sleep really late last night seeing as it had been Kira's last day here for the next few weeks.

I'd felt incredibly guilty when I was woken by my grandmother who looked about ready to collapse when I made eye contact with her.

However, she told me to take my time thinking that it was after six, but in fact, it was long after that; it was nearly eight and I had to hurry.

"Come to my room before you leave, okay?" was all she said before disappearing across the hall.

The moment I'd finally tied the other shoe lace, I shot out of my seat and rushed out of my room and to the only open door where I found my grandmother standing with a small box in her frail looking hands.

"Grandma?" I questioned softly, frowning a little as I saw her turn to me with a delicate smile on her face.

"Happy birthday Jamie," she whispered as she placed the little box in my hands and smiled delicately at me. However, I knew my expression wasn't what she expected because she ended up laughing and poking me between my eyebrows where my frown usually sat. My eyes were wide in horror as I stared at her, wondering how on earth she could possibly have gotten me a gift if she couldn't leave the house.

So many thoughts have filled my mind like what if she had one of those wheelchairs from the future or like that guy in Kim Possible which was remote controlled and had the ability to fly. I mean, I definitely want a wheelchair like that when I'm older or even now, then you can just press a button and accidentally zap all the people in front of you and you'll always be first in line, or you can just fly over them all and land there and fake illness or elderliness so they let you stay there instead of making you leave the line to go right to the back like little devils.

Anyway...

Please pray for me.

"I asked a friend to get it for me," she reassures me, calming me down effectively before she continued, "Now go and get done. You're already late," she chuckled.

Kissing her on the cheek, a wide grin spread to my lips as I hugged her gently and thanked her.

It had been years since I last received a gift at all for my birthday.

After thanking her, I left the room and went to my own, finally getting done before opening the box to reveal the most beautiful bracelet I had ever seen. It was a silver bracelet with a dark blue bead between two white beads and I couldn't help but just love it. I cherished it so much, not because of how it looked, but because my grandmother had taken the effort to get it for me.

As I descended the stairs, I hummed, already wearing it on my right wrist.

However, when reaching the kitchen, I don't know what it was, but something made me turn around. I mean, I hadn't forgotten anything, but I still ran up, skipping every second step until I landed on the top and ran in and out of every room until I got to hers.

She was on the floor, gasping and shaking.

I rushed to her, calling an ambulance. I didn't know what to do.

Present time

So now, here I was, all alone in the waiting room for nine hours, still in my school uniform despite not having gone to school which, according to my watch, ended a little over a while ago.

I was looking for things to distract me, but so far, I couldn't find a single thing.

That is, until I heard it.

Yep, you guessed it; the seven distractions themselves and for once, I didn't mind. I was honestly grateful.

The first thing I heard was bickering, making me strain my ears in order to hear.

"You can't just ask her, what if she's not?" Jin scolded softly.

"You have to distract her!" Jungkook and Tae chorused to which, when I looked up, they both received hits upon their heads from none other than Yoongi, making the two groan.

"You need to face it head on," Yoongi said shortly after, but Rap Monster (I'll just start calling him Namjoon before I start thinking he'll turn into a monster and eat my face off) strongly disagreed.

"You can't always face everything head on, Suga! You need to be delicate!"

"Says the one who always ends up breaking something," Jimin intervened to which he received a hit upon the head from Namjoon just as the other two youngest members had before.

The argument continued like this until finally, two of them noticed me.

"Jamster!" Tae and Jungkook chorused once again, making me seriously believe that they were twins born years apart or brothers because almost every second or third sentence they said, they would say together (either that or I'm exaggerating. I do tend to do that a lot.)

The two ran to me and immediately pulled me into a hug, eventually beginning to push the other away in an attempt to give me a proper one.

"You two need stop, you may hurt her!" Jin scold the two like the mother figure he was that could only bring a smile to my face. You see, for the few weeks that I'd gotten to know them, I realized that they had grown on me like fungi.

Or super, super sticky glue that never lost its touch and ended up in us having to become one person and have to go everywhere together. I think the only problem there would be clothing. Of course, depending on where we were glued.

Ouch, imagine it was your head.

"She's gone again," Namjoon said as he waved his hand in front of my face. When I turned my gaze to them, J-Hope smiled.

"Her grandmother did say she had quite the imagination."

At the mention of my grandmother, my smile fell away and immediately, J-hope received six hits upon his head which managed to get a small laugh out of me.

"Okay, okay, bad timing, I know, sorry," J-Hope assured as he held his hands to his head in fear of being hit once again by his friends who only gave him innocent smiles in return. Devil boys, I promise you. Never trust their smiles.

"Oh, Jamster, we wanted to go to the canteen now if that was okay with you," Jin says softly, eyeing me unsurely to which I nodded. I didn't mind, I was just happy they came when I didn't even tell them. Wait, how on earth did they know? Were they psychic ? Could they read your minds? What if they had the ability to track you from wherever you were and were able to tell what happened just by that Oh my gosh, I need to be careful.

Actually, correct that, I need to stop reading comic books and manga.

As if reading my thoughts, (see, I told you to beware of these boys), J-hope smiles tightly as he informs me, "My mother was phoned as she is the only person your grandmother interacted with that's over eighteen."

I nod,

"We'll be back shortly, Jamster," Namjoon says before walking away, the rest of the boys lingering for about a second before they, too walked off, following the leader of the group.

As I sat in silence once again, I stared at the floor and swung my legs off the chair, allowing it to dangle off the chair as I held onto the edge of the chair.

Moments later, footsteps are heard and when I look up, I find my eyes meeting guarded ones as the ever bitter sweet boy approached holding two cans. When he reached me, he simply held out his hand with one of them in, nudging me to take it when I didn't respond.

When I do, he sits beside me and I crack open the can, the familiar smell of ice coffee meeting my nose and making the corners of my lips curl up.

"I hope you don't mind," his voice comes so suddenly, I jump a little in my seat.

"Don't mind what?" I ask with a tilt of my head and when he answers, I swear I die inside.

"I got you my favourite drink."

"I don't mind. Ice coffee is the best after all," I reply, testing the waters of the conversation.

"Finally, someone understands."

I can't help but laugh at this.

And then, as we settle into a comfortable silence, I notice the same bracelet on his wrist. And when I say the same, I mean dead on the same. Like replicas. And wouldn't you know it, I see him eyeing mine as well.

"I like your bracelet," we say at the same time and we both seem to grimace at this.

"I got it as a gift."

"Thank you, it was a gift."

Again, we speak at the same time which is beginning to weird me out but thankfully doesn't happen again.

"When did you get it?" I ask and he mumbles, "Today."

"Me too," I reply hesitantly.

As we stare at each other, we both frown.

"It's my birthday."

"Mine too," I reply and this time, we refuse to drop our gazes. It had to be some sort of a coincidence, right? It is. I mean, lots of people share birthdays so it isn't weird.

Before our conversation could continue, however, the boys returned where Suga gave away that today was my birthday which only resulted in me receiving six hugs and a ruffle of my hair from the one and only bittersweet boy.

I liked their hugs.