24: The badges

Rollercoaster of a Life time

Sitting on the bench outside, I swung my legs as I sat beside Tazneen who was speaking excitedly about one of CNCO's latest video.

I giggled each time she squealed or started flapping her arms and whined each time she hit me.

But of course, this was us. Our topic of conversations were able to ranges from one thing to the next, related or not and so naturally, we changed topics due to her question.

"Jams, you know the badges they wear?" She asks me with a slight head tilt and eyes glinting.

Not really wrapping my mind around the question, I reply, "Who?"

She sighs loudly and places her hands on my shoulders, turning me forcefully and narrowing her eyes as if it would help me understand what she wanted to say.

"The boys. What are those badges with their names for?"

It took me another few moments to finally get what she was asking (forgive me for being slow okay?)

When she sees the realization in my eyes or on my expression, she finally smiles in satisfaction, pulling away from gripping onto me and turning back in her seat.

"I've been meaning to ask."

"I completely forgot," I reply and think of who of the boys I could ask.

The the first name that pops into my head brings a pang to my chest because of course it's Jungkook who has yet to say a word to me in the past three days.

I've been trying to approach him but every time I do, something bad happened.

Seokjin pleaded for me to stop when I came to class soaked in water and chocolate (I don't even want to know how this was possible but I was more concerned over the fact that I still had no idea who it was. Yoongi said that it could possibly be Jungkook's girlfriend but I assumed he only said that because he didn't like her.)

Not even the boys have seen him and he was one of their best friends. Turns out, she (forgive me for forgetting her name not that I tried very hard to learn it in the first place. I only remembered it when she was in front of me) wanted to keep him all to herself and that was the reason he's been AWOL.

My mind shifts to Yoongi next, unable to bear the pain in my chest much longer, but this doesn't go too well either because Yoonyi's been absent from school for the past two days, only keeping in contact through text. He was sick or so he said. I wasn't sure if I should believe him.

As my mind goes down the list of boys I could possibly ask, Tazneen taps my arm, pulling me out of my thoughts and causing my gaze to land on Taehyung and his girlfriend, Jaelyn, who was a distance away.

We couldn't hear them, but their body language gave away that it was anything but good conversation.

Taehyung and Jaelyn looked like they were yelling. The mere thought was disbelieving as neither of them did much yelling. The two were always timid around each other and spoke softly.

The people passing the two of them looked back to the two on occasion with such sympathetic expressions which only confirmed what we thought; they were having a heated conversation.

"Should we help?"

"Maybe after," I suggest before adding, "It doesn't look safe."

She nods in agreement.

Together, we continue to sit in silence and watch the two with the occasional shifting of positions.

It's not until we notice the change in their body language; Jaelyn crying.

A smack.

And then she storms off.

We're left in shock, clearly not expecting to see Taehyung being slapped by his girlfriend.

I turn my head to Tazneen to see that her eyes have gone wide and she's practically off the bench as she attempts going to where he was.

I grab for her wrist and just about get it before I'm dragged along with her.

"Tazneen!" I yell out, trying to stop her but it's like my words fall on deaf ears as she continues to rush towards Taehyung.

By the time that we're in front of him, the both of us are out of breath (but let me be honest here; I was way more out of breath than she was) and Taehyung is too caught up in his thoughts to notice us.

She tugs my sleeve hard and points.

It's hard to believe the sight and there isn't much time to process it before the other raises his hand to wipe at the tear we'd seen fallen.

"Taehyung," a voice speaks and it takes me moments to realize that it's mine.

Tazneen looks annoyed, clearly wanting to be the one who had spoken first (I assume because she had a major crush which only she thought was not so noticeable. Well, her and Taehyung; everyone else knew it but chose to keep it to themselves).

I mouth a an apology, but she doesn't give any signs of forgiveness.

Taehyung, however, has now turned, eyes solely focused on Tazneen as he waits for us to say something.

I want to ask what happened, but I'm not sure if I should.

Fortunately, he smiles. It brings me to relax because although it wasn't his usual smile, it wasn't fake which meant he was kind of okay.

"Hey Jamie, Tazneen."

The way he says her name makes me frown.

Taehyung was unpredictable for the most part and therefore, it was uncertain if he ever really liked Jaelyn or if he liked Tazneen (there had been occasions where we saw the slight possibility and even more occasions where we witnessed the sparks in person. It was very likely).

"Taehyung, we saw what happened-"

Taehyung smiles sheepishly, hand going to the back of his neck as he looks at us and asks awkwardly, "You saw that?"

The both of us nod.

When he says nothing, I grow annoyed and frown as I open my mouth and the words leave them before I can stop it, "Care to tell us what happened, TaeTae?"

He looks at me and I know it's because I hardly call him that.

Another smile crosses his face as he says, "Jaelyn and I just broke up."

"What? Why?" Tazneen asks faking shock. It's all too clear that she's happy about it though and it's all too clear that Taehyung is happy that she's happy about it.

If these two don't get together soon, I will personally set them up myself.

"We've been arguing a lot," he chuckles, "And we knew when we started dating that it wouldn't last."

The both of us nod again.

As a silence falls over us, Taehyung chooses to grab us both by our wrists and pull us along.

"Where are we going?" I ask with a pout. I wanted food, not this.

"We're getting food," he explains and I don't mean to, but I cheer aloud causing the both of them to chuckle but could you blame me? I was hungry and food was love.

As we walk, I realize that we're going to the rooftop.

Taehyung assured us that there were the vending machines which had those sandwiches in, but that didn't make me feel any better.

The last time I'd been up here was with Jungkook.

Another pang in the chest.

"Taehyung, can I ask you something?" I hear Tazneen ask while we're walking up the last few steps.

He nods as he opens the door, stopping to look at us and waits.

Tazneen looks to me with a smile and I realize she wanted me to ask (she's honestly such a sweet soul I often wondered if she was made using cotton candy).

I clear my throat, "What are those badges you guys wear?"

His eyes crinkle in the corners and I smile; it's rare that this happened with the elder boy.

"They're our prefect badges. It's for us to wear until they're finished with our jackets."

"Jackets?" I ask, confused, "Prefects?"

He laughs and nods, "It's different here. The teachers choose the prefects based on how they act in class and on their marks; the grade doesn't matter. And unlike other schools, we have prefect jackets instead of only badges."

My jaw has unknowingly (to me) dropped until Taehyung laughs and Tazneen reaches over and pushes it closed beneath my chin.

"You should watch out. They're still looking for prefects."

"When do they stop?" I ask.

"June," he chuckles before gesturing to the door, "After you ladies."

Unable to suppress it, we both giggle and walk through the door as he asked, but the moment I lift my head, my smile crumbles and I swear I could hear my heart shattering to pieces.

You know those moments when someone does something or says something or just shows you something that makes you feel utterly special only for them to do it to the next person and ultimately make you feel like you were never special to begin with?

This was one of those moments.

Before me, Jungkook sat shoulder to shoulder and knee to knee beside Evelyn (I told you I only remembered her name when I saw her) who was eating from his lunch happily, giggling.

They were completely oblivious to us.

When Tazneen sees them, she immediately places a hand on my shoulder, more than ready to steer me away but Taehyung has closed the door and alerted them of our presence.

He guides us to the other side of the rooftop where we sit down and Taehyung places the three sandwich sets (which he'd gotten before returning to us) in the middle and we're in a semicircle.

Jungkook now looked at us and usually I would be okay with it but every time his eyes landed on me, it felt like he was glaring.

As I sigh, two hands are on each of my shoulders.

"It'll be okay," they echo each other.

And I can only hope so, but hey, at least I finally know what the badges were for.