25: The Principle

Rollercoaster of a Life time

Unfortunately, we were not allowed to practice or work out our project during other classes.

I found it unfair because when the science students had their projects to do, they could do whatever was needed to complete it; even if it meant skipping all classes.

It wasn't our teacher who said we couldn't do it, though. It was our principle.

I didn't understand why and nobody really made it clear for me.

I sat beside Yoongi, leaning against him as I fought off the urge to sleep as my group surrounded us.

Hoseok was sitting with Kira beside them, the two holding hands so subtly, it was almost unnoticeable and I found it super cute.

Seokjin was sitting beside Jackson as the two spoke, trying to sort out the preparations for where to start and how to do certain things.

And of course, Jungkook was a no show.

He continuously found ways to excuse himself to Seokjin who would obediently deliver the message but I knew that not even he believed that Jungkook was being honest with his excuses.

We'd passed him and Evelyn just that morning and they both greeted the boys, but of course, not me.

I was still trying to assure myself that I would be used to it.

But it still hurt.

Before I could dwell too much on the subject, Jackson and Seokjin call for our attention.

"We all know where Jamie stays so maybe we'll meet up there after school," Seokjin suggests, eyes finding me which I immediately catch as him trying to ask me if it was okay.

I don't see us having much of a choice so I just nod.

"Now to discuss who's doing what," Seokjin says after confirming that it was okay for them to come over to my house.

"Jamie should write lyrics!" Jackson suddenly exclaims earning looks from all around.

Seokjin grabs hold of both of us, trying not to sigh out loud as he shares a look with Hoseok before we leave our spot and find another place with less people.

I didn't understand why he did it. I only knew that he looked relieved after checking for any cameras or others watching.

"Why Jamie?" Seokjin asks at the same time as I turn to him and ask in disbelief, "Why me?"

Hoseok stops with Kira on his back and I have to remind myself to keep from squealing out loud because they're only people and because we were in the middle of a conversation.

"She used to write a ton of lyrics when I first met her. Trust me, she's really good," Jackson says.

His voice has this tone that can make someone believe whatever he said.

It was the one time I hated him using when we were together because in the end when it came down to it, it was one of my biggest weaknesses when it came to Jackson Wang. It was that and his puppy dog eyes.

When hearing this, Seokjin and Hoseok's eyes land on me.

"Can she sing too?" Hoseok asks, noticing my expression and realizing that I wouldn't give him an answer had he asked me.

A grin spreads to Jackson's lips and he nods eagerly.

"Her voice is amazing! And she can play the keyboard," he says before he earns a smack upside the head before a whisper-yell that comes from me as my eyes narrow into tiny slits as I glare at him, "Stop speaking as if I'm not here!"

He pouts at me, "I'm only telling them because I know you weren't planning to. They deserve to know that you're talented."

I sigh, "Yeah, well even if I was, I'm not nearly as talented as them."

Seokjin giggles and shakes his head, leaning forward toward me with a soft smile that showed the crinkles by his eyes and his nose lifting up every so often, "You're probably just as talented as us and we can't wait to find out."

A blush of embarrassment spreads to my cheeks as I look at him.

Kira, not liking the silence that spread between us so quickly, speaks up, frowning as she asks, "Why did you make us run when Jackson yelled that?"

Seokjin looks over and sighs.

Hoseok wasn't going to explain which only left him as the rest of the group were transfer students.

He clears his throat, adjusts himself so that his body is facing us and he starts speaking clearly for us to hear. His words are shocking, but it all suddenly makes sense.

"It's not allowed here. Sure music is a subject, but we aren't allowed to be performing at all in general; not even for assignments. It's the principle's rules that they followed. We've always just gone along with it."

"But why aren't we allowed?" I ask and watch as his expression morphs into one of the unknown few I had yet to discover on him.

His eyebrows were crinkled up, the wrinkles between them scrunching and huddled together, dark eyes hidden by his long lashes and he bit his lip as if it would help him prepare.

"The principle doesn't view any of the arts as possible job careers for the future. It's always been like this," he stops to take a breath.

I'm wrong. He stops to give us a moment to process.

It's obvious we're having a hard time.

"He only believes that sciences and anything related is worth the school's time. I think around two years ago, he even went as far as trying to remove music and arts as a subject. The school council and the school education department refused him and sent him out. They said that he ever tries that again, we'll be finding ourselves a new principle."

I sigh. I never liked people like that; that only saw sciences and electronics and robotics as futur job careers.

When would people realize that those weren't the only jobs out there in the world. There were actually people who wanted to be lawyers and consultants, teachers and producers, artists or supervisors. There wasn't only the world of science.

This was reality.

It was something school wanted to and always always failed at preparing us for.

Suddenly, my mind reels back to that day, the line playing in my head so clearly, it was as if he were here right now.

Hey, newbie, some advice. At this school, your dreams don't matter.

"Is that why he told me that? Is that why-?" I'm confused and struggling over my own words, but Jin is managing to assist me.

My wide eyes find his and he nods, "That's why she added you to the list of kids who haven't lost hope; who hasn't given up like the rest of the school," he explains with one of the softest expressions that has me melting inside.

Now it all made sense.

It took a couple of weeks, but it finally made sense.

It was the principle and his rules that regulated (when really, school was just another waist of time).

I think it was time we change his mind.

The idea forms and I look to Jin who recognizes my expression and gulps. Jackson recognizes too and he grins.

I jump from my seat and rush out, hearing as their footsteps follow.

****

We waited until she looked at us. We knew she couldn't say no at a preposition that got our voices heard.

Finally, our music teacher breaks out into a grin.

"Let's do it. Let's get ourselves heard."