16: Scars of the past

Rollercoaster of a Life time

Things were going great with him. We were celebrating our third anniversary and I could not have been more excited in my life.

However, for some reason on that day, I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. Of course, I didn't think much of it as I pushed the feeling away and glanced into the mirror to check if I looked alright. I had tied my hair back after curling it near the bottom so that when my ponytail swung, the curls bounced, I wore very little make-up as I was not so much a fan of it and my outfit was black mid-thigh length dress that came up until my neck and was open at the back and had paired it with a pair black converse to match.

I'd glanced at the time to see that it was still a bit early so I walked out of the room and into the living room.

That day, my father hadn't been home as he was working late once again.

Sometimes I wondered if things would have been different if he had come home like always, but I highly doubted it. After all, when he was home, he barely acknowledged my existence. They doctor said he believed it was my dad's way of coping with my mother leaving him.

Taking a seat on the couch, I switched on the television and browsed the channels until I landed on one of my favourite Marvel movies of all time: Spiderman 1 with Toby McGuire. When I put it on that channel, the familiar scene played before my eyes. It was the part where the green goblin first appeared and I don't know what it was about it, but it was one of my favourite.

As I watched the movie, my mind lost track of time, but I guess that didn't matter since he had a spare set of keys given to him by my very own father.

IT was five minutes after the time he said he would arrive when he finally showed, but I had no clue as I hadn't even heard when the front door opened and closed before his footsteps echoed. Now, I don't know why, but when I saw him, there was something about him that told me to run.

Sure he was one of the few people who ever made me feel safe, but as the late afternoon sun shone against him making his shadow loom over me and making me look up, that one glanced at me out of my seat and attempting to walk away.

He doesn't say anything as he's now on one side of the couch and me on the other.

He places a hand on the top of the couch and uses it as leverage as he jumps over it and grabs for me. Instead of actually grabbing me, he grabs at my hair and pulls my hair tie down half way before I manage to run out of the closest exit which was the living room doors that lead to the passageway furthest from the stairs.

My plan has a flaw, I realize, as I dash out of those doors because when I do, I don't find him behind me. Instead, moments later, he's coming out from the doors closest to the stairs.

My eyes once again scanned the area before I've devised a new plan.

Following through with it, I dash out of the passageway through the double doors that leads to the kitchen. As I run past the counter, I grab for the knife, but instead of actually grabbing it, it slips out of my hand (and in my rush, I'd grabbed it the wrong way so now I had a massive cut along my palm) and to the floor.

Cursing, I knew there was no time to pick it up so I ran out of the side door by the kitchen which took me outside.

From here, I ran to one of the trees that I used to climb to get in and out of my room to stare at the stars from our yard before my father had moved me downstairs. I find myself cheering mentally as I see the tree in tip top shape and waste no time in climbing it.

When I reach the one branch that could hold my weight, I see that the window was shut.

Cursing, I glance down to see that he was right at the bottom, expecting me to jump down and face him and although I considered it, that look in his eyes had me deciding against it once again before looking over and trying to remember if I could jump that distance.

When I glance down to see him beginning to climb, I decide there was nothing to lose, took a deep breath and jumped.

My foot slipped as it touched the edge and I hurriedly gripped onto the window ledge.

He's gotten further up the tree now; he was a much more faster climber than I was and was almost at the branch.

Cursing once again, I begin to pull myself up.

"Loose brick," I mumble, spotting the item shortly after I said it. Remembering how whenever someone tried to follow me, they would hold onto it and end up nearly falling.

Picking it up, I thank my father for not putting in the burglar bars making the window just glass.

Raising the brick in my one hand, I throw it against the glass as the boy behind me has reached the branch and was now preparing to jump.

I pull myself up and knock the rest of the glass out before I climb through the window, landing on my knees and pulling the curtain to cover the where the window was meant to be. When the curtain starts to move, I stumble to my feet and try to run out, but his hand catches my elbow and soon, I find myself being pinned to the ground.

"G- Get off of me," I stutter out, struggling in his old in a lame attempt to get him to release me.

But he only persists, smiling widely as he runs a hand through my hair before he forces me into a kiss that has me thrashing against him once again.

I let a soft cry escape as he bites my lip so hard I swear he drew blood.

When he finds that this doesn't stop my thrashing, his one hand takes hold of both my wrists and he's pinning it to the ground above my head.

Now I find myself stuck between his legs as he kisses along my neck and jaw, his one hand trailing down my side before resting on my hip.

I can feel the tears threatening to spill as he continues this and I end up almost crying as I feel his hand begin to life my dress up. However, he doesn't get too far with his task because the moment I feel his hand graze my upper thigh, I raise my knee as hard as I can into his special area.

A look of pure shock and pain is shown clearly across his face and he releases my wrists and is off me in seconds in a desperate attempt to clutch said area and try and make the pain disappear.

I take this as my moment to escape, standing quickly and turning to leave.

But before I can make it out of the door, my ponytail is gripped and its used to pull me back, making me stumble and nearly fall had I not caught myself against the wall moments before I was slammed into it.

I grit my teeth in pain as I'm turned around roughly and I don't even register that I've been slapped until my head's looking one way and I feel the stinging pain in my cheek.

"St- stop this," I try, turning my head slightly to look at him but the look in his eyes tells me that he's long gone. The boy before me was not the loveable puppy I knew and loved. I don't know what it was, but something had finally broken him. He obviously couldn't stand it and now he was trying to break me.

His smirk lights up his face in a way I wish I was able to forget.

I turn my head as he tries to kiss me yet again and it's the first time I hear his voice since that morning when all was fine. It sounded the same, but at the same time, it sounded so much different.

"Last chance, Jampop."

When I decline once again, I instantly regret it as I'm thrown to the floor like a rag doll right after he slammed me against the wall.

I don't even have time to register the pain before I feel a kick to the stomach.

After five kicks (only because I needed to be punished for crying out without permission), he picks me up at the collar like thing of my dress and punches me hard in the stomach.

I could already picture all the bruises on my arms and stomach after shielding myself too many times.

When he releases, my eyes spot the item behind him; a glass bowl for decorative purposes.

I maneuver my way around him until he's closest to the door. Without a word, I turn and grab the bowl before facing him once again and hitting it over his head, causing the glass to shatter as pieces fell to the floor like snow.

It works as he hunches over, clutching his head and it gives me enough time to run out.

But I knew better. In this state, he was capable of handling all kinds of pain and to push it away and continue pushing himself.

I run down the carpet which is pulled as I'm at the stairs making me trip and fall over, rolling down the steps and landing at the doorway that led into the living room and was closest to the kitchen.

I don't allow myself to just lay there and try to bear the pain but instead, I force myself up as I hear his heavy footsteps running down the wooden steps, one by one, each one getting louder the closer he got.

Just as I reached the front door and threw it open, he grabbed my wrist.

I winced and bit back a whimper as I felt an unnatural crack in my wrist as it bent a little too far back, but I managed to pull it out of his hold as I ran out through the front door, slamming it behind me and in his face.

As I ran along the pavement, through the busy streets, I received look after look which wasn't surprising. I probably looked like a mess and here I was, running, making it even worse.

The place I was heading to was not far if you had a car, but I hadn't had time to grab the keys or to even get to the garage so I chose to run. Of course, nothing was easy because before I knew it, I was picked up and tossed into a car ever so roughly.

I had no chance to react as the door was slammed shut and when I looked to the side, I saw him smirk as he got in and closed his door before speeding off.

I knew I couldn't jump out because the speed was just too much. My heart rate was increasing by the minute I clutched onto the seat every time my body lurched forward with every turn he made; there weren't seatbelts in the car after my mother decided to mess with it.

My eyes stayed wide open as I tried to think rationally.

And then, it occurred to me.

Hesitantly and carefully, I leaned over, grabbing onto the steering wheel and making the car go in all directions. It bumped into cars, but not bad enough for a crash and I found myself gritting my teeth as if it would help my luck.

Moments later, the car is spinning at an alarming rate before the front of the car crashes into a dead end. I knock my head hard against the dashboard and glass pieces are flying everywhere.

When I look over, I see him unconscious after hitting his head on the wheel.

With shaky limbs, I force myself to climb out of the car, limping away without even thinking about closing the door.

I walked up until the main road when I realized where I was.

With every bit of energy that I had left, I push myself into a run as I hurry through the next few roads until I find myself in front of the familiar building I'd once visited way too many times before my boyfriend had become jealous and begged me to stop.

With a heavy heart, I climb up the porch steps before ringing the doorbell.

"I'll get it, mom!" the familiar voice echoes through the house before the door opens.

It's clear he doesn't expect me and its clear he's filled with surprise, but at the same time, relief and happiness, concern and worry are found in the look he gives me before he puts pieces together; I can see it, him putting each puzzle piece together until his eyebrows draw up and his mouth forms an 'o' shape.

I try to smile, I try to greet or do something that will have us escape the silence, but I don't because by the time I feel myself about to say something, I fall forward.

I'm caught before I hit the ground and the last few words I hear before going into a totally unconscious state are whispered, but loud enough for me to hear due to our distance.

"I'm going to kill you, Jackson Wang."