35: The Truth

Rollercoaster of a Life time

"Jamie.."

I look up to the familiar voice belonging to Mark.

It was my last day in the hospital before I would be discharged from this place and the rest of the boys had just left in search of the cafeteria. After a week of me being here and a week of them going there you would think they knew by now.

"Yeah, Markie?" I ask softly, afraid of my voice and it coming out too loudly or too softly.

"We need to speak."

I look up at him, unfocused eyes zoning in and out as I watch him seat himself on the edge of the bed, holding himself tall and confident.

Mark was always like that. He was. Always so sure of the person he was and he always carried him with full on confidence despite his shyness.

I remembered the first time we'd met where all we did was stare at each other. However, we needed to speak to start on the project and that brings us to now.

"What about?" I decide to ask, curious as to whether he would be so kind as to give me a little hint.

He does.

The name freezes me on my spot.

"Jackson. About you and Jackson, actually."

I have to take a few moments to process the words before I finally give him my full attention and nod hesitantly. As much as I hated his ex-best friend, I trusted Mark with my life. If he had something to discuss with me about he-who-shall-no-longer-be-named then it must be important.

I can't seem to find my voice so I nod again as I wait for him to continue.

His eyes find mine and he seems unsure for a moment. That is, until I smile my most confident and most calming smile I could muster.

It seems to work because moments later, Mark clears his throat.

"So you know how you said you were confused about the one memory because last you recalled, it was a happy memory?"

I only nod. I don't trust myself with words quite yet.

"So, that time that you came to me after he hurt you the way that he did wasn't the first time he hurt you."

I frown, not quite understanding. As far as my memories took me, Mark's words were incorrect.

"But Mark..." I start and trail off as he speaks over me, "Let me explain."

"Those few days after the incident, we had a doctor see to you and even took you to the hospital. Do you remember?"

I try to, I really do, but my mind comes up a blank slate no matter how hard I try to change the scenario while thinking about it. Instead of lying to him (even though that would never work. Mark could read me like a book so he often caught me in my lies), I nod my head and bite my lip.

He smiles sadly.

"Well, you see, according to the doctors and from what I could understand, the trauma from that incident had changed your mindset."

I scrunch my face up.

"Every bad memory before the incident was too much for you too handle alongside the trauma itself and so you changed it. You tweaked your memories in such a way that when you thought of it, you believed Jackson to be the most perfect boyfriend to ever walk the earth. But what could only cancel out that trauma was something equally as traumatic for you. That's where it fell in," he adds the last sentence softly, his tone unlike it was ever before and I really don't need to ask what.

My over thinking and over imagination.

"But really, Jackson was always like that to you. And you saw it in that memory where he was hurting you."

I look to Mark, eyes taking in every inch of him that I possibly could before I look back down to my hands, "Why didn't you tell me before?"

"It could have messed with your healing," Mark explains, "Or so said the doctors at least."

My hands were curling and uncurling from fists as my mind raced with new realizations and proper memories.

Lowering my head, I move my hands to it as I mess up my hair.

"So... Abusive boyfriend?"

"Abusive boyfriend," Mark confirms softly before he places a hand on the small of my back, "I'm really sorry, Angelpie."

I have to in a breath between my teeth and blink my eyes before I nod.

Before I allow myself to accept the truth because I know, somewhere deep down, I had been expecting that.

I wasn't as surprised as I should have been.

But I guess that also had to do with the fact that Jackson and my dad were working together.

When you worked with my father, you never just started. You needed to have a long list of bad doings before he accepted you and I guess he hated me just enough to pick the first boy I ever truly loved.

"Jamie?"

I lift my eyes to look at him.

"Are you alright?"

I don't know how to answer but either way, I don't get to because moments later, the door bursts open and the familiar sound of laughter and teasing voices meet my ears.

Seokjin and Namjoon are arguing as per there usual day.

Taehyung was being carried on Jimin's back much to Hoseok's dismay as he desperately argued that he waited his turn the entire way there.

Meanwhile, Yoongi and Jungkook seem to be discussing something important and I watch as they continuously switch around the snacks the two were holding.

The entire lot of them suddenly look up when someone yells for them to keep quiet in case I was asleep.

The owner of the voice being Kira who got pulled into a tight embrace by her boyfriend and what I hope to be fiancé.

Behind her stood Tazneen who got pulled into the room by someone other than Taehyung.

Both seemed miserable at the fact.

During all the commotion, I found it in me to turn to Mark with a soft and gentle smile as I finally replied the his question.

"With this lot, how can I not be?"