2019 : Internship

Life Is A Puzzle

Monnah, Summer 2019

"Sorry ' I'm having a date with my boyfriend, let's call another time."

I sighed. It was the fourth time this week. Since Taeyang got her boyfriend they spend a lot of time together, leaving me a bit left out. Sh was my bestfriend and my sister, so it felt normal to spend a lot of time together. These days I felt more like a distant childhood friend than  anything. Of course, Taeyang was busy. It wasnt because she finished high school that she didn't have to practice. But I also knew she only gave time to her stupid boyfriend and ice skating. Finishing high school and being the highest rank of the school felt nice. My family was proud of me. I was accepted to a lot of universities but haven't made my choice yet. I felt a bit lost at my possibilities and career prospects.

I was hesitant about the major I wanted to take and was trying to see if I could  do a double major. That's why Dad offered me that internship in his office to see if law could interest me as a major. I was having a good time, asking the other lawyers their speciality and going to court was entertaining.

I was assisting Dad in his missions, clearing up his desk, proof reading his files and analysing lawcases. I took the habits of reading the files, classifying them and Dad really wanted me to understand what his job was. I was studying his case of last week, trying to get more of the regulation.  highlighting some dates he asked to when someone entered dad office. He looked like a twenty-something man.

I stayed silent, waiting for him to tell me why he was here. He eyed me head to toes and I felt that feeling again. This feeling of being a pretty thing instead of a human being.

"I need some files. Mawyer Bang told me you would know."He said with a smile.

I reached for the file Dad told me about and he looked at me with an arrogant smile. H was older than me, maybe ten years.  But the way he looked at me was completely different, he looked at me as if I was a treat or a delicious cake. It made me feel very uneasy.  "Lawyer Bang is sure lucky to have such a pretty intern. How did he find such a beauty ?"

I blinked my eyes very slowly, faking not understanding what he just said. "I needed to do a intership and he volunteered."

"His wife wouldn't be happy to see such a young and fresh woman in his office. Why don't you come to mine ? I can take care of you." He rested his hand on my shoulder and I froze. Now things were going in a strange direction.

Dad entered his office and looked at the situation in front of him.  "Lawyer Jang, how can I help you ?"

The man removed his hand from my shoulder and came to my dad side. "Hyung, why do you keep such pretty intern in your office ? Did you think about your wife huh ?"

Suddenly, my father turned angry, he understood what all of this was about. "Your hand on her shoulder ... How do you explain that ?"

"What ? Relax, how about we take some coffee Moonah and I ? She needs a little break." Lawyer Jang was smiling to him, making me frown.

Dad sighed, hands on his hips. "How about asking my daughter yourself ?"

The guy froze for a minute and removed his hand from my chair.

"Dad, can that be considered as ual harassment on minor ?" I asked my dad. He had a sigh and nodded.

"Wait this is a bad joke right ?" Lawyer Jang managed to say, understanding the mess he created.

Dad smiled. "Lawyer Jang can I have a private conversation with you ?"

Both men left and I sighed out of relief.

*

When dad came back, he was pissed off. "How can he be so shameless ? Hit on you like this ? I scolded him a lot and he will be punished for that."

"Thanks Dad." I felt a bit embarassed now. Dad always takes care of his family so well and protected us the best he could, always.

He shook his head."Come on its normal. I can do this much for you honestly. But if anyone hurt you or if that man get close to you again, you need to tell me okay ? "

"Yes I'll tell you. Calm down, I'm okay for real." I said softly.

He sat in front of me on the couch and looked at me. "Moony, you're really okay ?"

I nodded, honest. Dad nodded and went to his desk to work on. As we started to dig back on our activity; I did some researches while Dad was working. Soon, he received a call. "Sujin, hi !"

He talked a bit with Mom and soon frowned. "I'll call the babysitter. what about Taeyang ? Wait don't answer that question." He finished the call and a few minutes later sighed. "Moonah do you get a hold of your sister these days ?"

I didn't raise my eyes. from the file I was reading. "Well, I don't see her more than you do."

"I know she loves her boyfriends of hers but she could at least tell us when she leaves the house. Well, I don't know why I'm telling you that. Oh, and tonight we're invited to a departure pot. A employee is leaving the company."

 

*

I looked at the small buffet and held some conversation with my aunt. She was worried about me about the earlier incident and I had to reassure her I was fine. Lawyer Jang was missing, apparantly he was a bit ashamed of what he did.

I went to get juice when a guy my age came to my sides. "I'm sorry."

I looked at him and he looked sincere. I looked at him in confusion. "I heard my brother tried to hit on you. I'm sorry for his behavior, it's a huge dickhead."

I widened my eyes at his choice of words and laughed. "For sure."

The guy smiled to me. "You're Lawyer Bang daughter ? I thought she only had boys."

I  shook my head, people in the office had that misconception about me.  "She's my aunt."

He nodded. "I'm Jang Taewon. I'm going to Busan University, astronomy major."

I blinked. "So why are you here ?"

"Ah my brother wanted someone to classify his documents and I'm paid. Did I mention the coffee is wonderful ?" He smiled to me and I realized how charming he was. He had smiling eyes. He was sporting regular clothes yet it was assembled in a stylish way.

I laughed. "That's true. What classes do you have ?" I was geniously interested, because I was still trying to figure out what I wanted to do next year.

He started to explain me his classes and I listened, interested. Suddenly he blushed. "I'm sorry I get to passioned about astronomy you should have stop me."

I gently shook my head. "I like science too. I am in the biology club in my high school."

He suddenly took a step back. "Wait you're still in high school ?"

I blinked. "I'm starting university next month."

Taewon had to hide a laugh. "Gosh my brother really put himself into a mess !"

His reaction surprised me. He was really different of his brother and now was making fun of his mistakes. They didn't look close at all. We talked for a while about various subjects but mostly university. He was fairly nice to talk with. He was telling me about the exams  when I saw Dad wink at me. I had a chuckle and he came to our side.

He smiled to me and looked to Taewon with amusement. "I heard you're the little brother of Lawyer Jang."

I frowned. That was a ... terrific first thing to say.

Taewon sighed loudly. "Yes I am. Jang Taewon. I'm sorry for my brother behavior."

Dad had  a amused smile. "I took care of him already, don't worry. You seemed in great conversation, I'll go get a drink."

I noticed the hour  and pouted. "But it's already late. We should head home to eat with Woojun and Hanbyul."

Dad smiled. "It doesn't bother you ?" He said, eyeing at Taewon not so secretly. I shook my head and he smiled.  "I'll take our things upstairs then."

TaeWon grinned, as my dad left. "Moonah, WooJun and HanByul. That's a set of stellar names."

"Plus Taeyang my other sister."

He laughed again. "It's cute."

Dad came back with our things and TaeWon bowed to him. "Mister Bang it was a pleasure to meet and your daughter. And again, sorry for my brother."

We left after saying goodbye and walked to the car in silence. Dad looked at me sitting in the passenger seat and had a amused grin. "So that TaeWon guy ?"

"He's nice."

"He's handsome !" He said poking my arm.

"Yeah his appearance wasn't unpleasing." I said, defeated.

 "Gosh someone got a crush." He said with a singing voice.

"DAD !!! Come on it was our first time talking together." I reminded him and myself by the same occasion.

"And I saw you smile and laugh, that boy is lucky.  Wait isn't he a bit old for you ?" Dad asked, suddenly worried.

" I'm nineteen soon, he's twenty. Dad you're playing really cool but you're trying really hard, right ?"

He cleared his throat. I knew I was right on that. "I'm just afraid someone hurt you. Heartbreak is really hard and I talk from experience. And especially guys your age can act rude."

"Also talking from experience ?" I . Dad gasped. "I was a really sweet guy okay !! I never made a girl cry !!"

I laughed, amused of his genuine reaction. He sighed.

*

Bang YongGuk

I looked at my daughter and felt emotional. Today, I was here to protect her and make sure that the person that wanted to hurt her will face consequences. But at university, it won't be that way. I was anxious about Moonah leaving for university. She could be as fierce as a lion but I couldn't help but worry about that.Did I give her enough strengh to  fight back ? Would she tell me if something happens to her ? I had to think that yes, she would. I pulled on a strand of her hair, gaining a groan. She was sporting her mom haircut for a few years now."Moony, any news of Tae' ?"

She checked her phone and had a sour expression. "Well, she is at her boyfriend apartment."

"I know it affects you, the fact that she is constantly with him and-"

Moonah interrupted me. "I don't care. I'm busy too."

I looked at her and chuckled. "You're a bad liar. Just like HanByul. Okay let's not talk about that. What about take-out tonight ? Your mom is not here and it's a bit late now to cook."

We stopped by a restaurant to get food and soon parked at home.

Once we arrived home, HanByul hugged my leg and Woojun jumped to get my attention. I paid the babysitter and   swirled around my kids. "My little sweety; how are you ? And you my little Picasso, feeling great today ?

"Dad I missed you. You missed the four episodes of Poporo." HanByul said. Woojun danced around for all answer and I high fived him. "I'll heat up dinner. Mom is not coming home early."

Taking care of the kids was an hard task but I liked it. I loved HanByul just tell me how much she loved me just because I asked. I loved how my son mirrored my expressions very well and liked his passion for  dancing these days.

Moonah looked at us with an amused face. "Let's eat."

*

As I prepared kids for bed, I heard the front door open and steps in the stairs. Sujin opened the door of the bathroom. "Mom is here. I'm late."

She looked tired and yet had small talk with our children like usual. She read stories to them,  and as HanByul fell asleep. As she entered Moonah bedroom, they chitchatted a bit, Moonah telling her about her day. I was getting sleepy in bed when Sujin joined me.  "I missed you."

"Well sorry these days have been hetic with the deadline. I have so much to think of and ...I'm sorry to be home that late. We're both working and -"

I rested my hand on . "Just relax. Everything is fine. That house is not a chaos becuse you came back late."

I updated her with the kids and she kissed me.

"You know Moonah met someone."

"She briefly told me about that and that someone at your work flirted with her ? Oh gosh men are gross." She commented, angry.

I her shoulder. "I was there and believed me there would be consequences. YongMi is thinking about financial sanctions."

She relaxed. "My baby. Everyone would say she'd be a heartthrob with those eyes. They only make interraction harder for her."

I comforted her. Raising daughters was a worrying task. The world was a place full of dangers for them. erts. Hidden cameras in bathrooms of universities. I couldn't stand that people treated women so poorly.  YongMi herself get unappropriate invitations from clients or colleagues and I always tried to make sure that at my scale I'm doing something. For the women I loved but not only : women who work with me. For those who comes for domestic violence. The office was a safe space and  that lawyer doing that to my daughter made me realize maybe he was doing similar things to other women. I would need to talk to my sister about that.

Sujin smiled. "It would be Moonah first ever boyfriend. Oh gosh. YongGuk how did we get so old ?"

"Taeyang had her first boyfriend years ago."

"Yeah but you know that for Moonah it's different. She suffered from the lack of a  father figure as a child and I'm sure because of me she have an harder time bonding with men and-"

I stopped her. "Please she is doing fine. Our daughter is doing just fine. Everyone goes at their own path."

She finally relaxed. "Yeah you're right. Let's sleep, I'm super tired I get nervous over small stuffs. I need to sleep."

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

Sujin came to peck my cheek. "I didn't thank you for watching over our daughter like you did."

I rolled my eyes. "Don't thank me for that."




Updating after years of absence. Ah ah I'm sorry about that, I hope you didn't forget about my story and that you enjoyed that chapter ! I want to complete that story this year =) There will be a few chapters left !