May : a month of discoveries

Life Is A Puzzle

Kim Sujin, Sunday 3rd of april 2007, in drawing process at home

 

I was drawing, taking some advance for tomorrow meeting. We had to have everything finished at the end of next week and taking some time here wouldn't hurt. My daughter got invited to watch a movie at Taeyang place and I prepared a cake so they can share it. I looked at my phone vibrate and took the call. « Yeah ? »

 

Mister Bang seemed hesitant to speak, yet took a huge breath before telling this me.  « Hmm Miss Kim, your daughter is crying loudly, at of sudden during the movie she bursted in tears. She said she is afraid of sharks. »

 

« Gosh what movie did they start to watch ? » I said getting my keys to leave for his house.

 

«Finding Nemo. » He  revealed, almost guilty.

« Okay I'll be here in a minute. »

I sighed, running in the stairs, something I strongly prohibited my daughter to do.  I ran to his house and as I got closer I spotted Mister Bang opening his front door for me. I thanked him in a breath and entered right away. « Mom. »

 

My daughter ran to me and out of habit hide her head in my sweater. I patted her back. «It's over. » She stayed quiet for a while, just sobbing in my arms, hugging me tighly with her chubby hands. I kissed her forehead, rocking her little body in my arms. She looked completely quiet when she got out of my sweater yet I was totally wrong :

« But the shark was in the TV and he was going to eat the fishes. I knew sharks were mean, they are meanie !!! » She yelled, almost angry. Fear completely left her body. I sighed looking at her turn her chubby hands into fists.

I nodded. « Yeah you must be right. » Her hazel eyes got a shade darker as she stated this :  «I hate sharks. »

 

I tried to use my sweetest voice to soften her anger. « I know, darling. It's okay you don't have to watch the end of the movie. »

She nodded, tears still b her eyes. I wiped her tears with my sleeve. I felt a tap on my shoulder and looked at YongGuk hand me a pack of tissue. I took time to blow her nose and soon she was quiet as I pinched her nose .

 

« I hate sharks. » She  repeated  with this whiney voice, accentuated by her running noise. I kneeled and made her sit on my lap to calm her.

 

«Yeah, you have all the rights to hate them. It's okay. » I reassured her, her shoulder with my arms. I kissed her cheek, yet failed to bring her comfort as she shook her head. I looked at her  quivering lips and sighed hearing that from her : « But dad, he said that we shouldn't hate sharks and that they are vital for the environnement balance. »

 

I almost rolled my eyes. « Yeah dad said a lot of things. Just don't worry about it. » She nodded, still looking bothered by this. I looked at Taeyang, who was eyeing us with her dad. « Hey sweety, do you have another movie to watch ? »

 

She grabbed a random DVD and shoved it in my hands. The Lion King. It felt perfect. Moonah loved this movie. « Hey look at this Moonah !!! The Lion King, you really like it right ? »

 

She nodded excited and clapped in her hands. I grinned. « You're going to watch this with Taeyang and I'll bring a piece of cake for you two okay ? »

 

« Yeah !! Thanks Mom !"

Taeyang leads her back to the couch and YongGuk set up the movie for them. As the movie started I looked at Moonah watch it fascinated and shook lightly my head. I was always surprised of her mood swing. Of kids mood swing in general. Moonah was able to cry for ten minutes and raise my worries for her and then ask me for an ice cream with a pout, before laughing if I tickle her. Tears still stained her cheeks as she smiled captivated by the movie.

 

YongGuk came back to my side and lead me to the kitchen. « I'm sorry. I had no idea she was afraid of sharks... »

 

I shrugged, he wasn't the one to blame « It's okay, how could you know ? I'm sure Taeyang loves the movie and geniously wanted to watch it with Moonah. It just gets very personal between her and sharks. »

 

He nodded and took the cake I brought. He placed two littles pieces in plates and brought it in the living room. He came back to me and sat in front of me. «You're not tasting it ? » I asked politely.

 

« Ah the cake. I guess I should. » He said, he cut a piece for me and a little one for himself. I looked at him and hided a smile. He didn't look like someone that have a sweet tooth. He took a bite and chewed slowly. « It's good. I'm not keen of chocolate but it's really good. » He looked at me and smiled a bit.

We were eating in silence when he got closer to me, (making me able to smell his cologne ). He eyed the living room before whispering : « Moonah is quite a crybaby. »

 

I laughed, he didn't want her to hear that. « Yes she is. She cries very often. Sometimes it gets annoying. But she really hate sharks. »

 

He looked at our empty plates and refilled both of them with pieces of the cake. « But why ? It's so … unsusual. Usually, kids are afraid of them, not hating them. »

 

I sighed. «Her dad got a whole scolarship to study sharks. So he's based in Indian Ocean to do this research. He's quite obsessed about them and try to give this passion to her but it completely failed. »

 

He nodded silently, staring at me for a while. « Oh, in that case ...  I can understand ... But don't worry. My sister 's husband is a tattoo artist and once we brought Taeyang to his studio she was curious to see his work and asked him to show her, she cried when she understood how he was doing this work. She is afraid of  needles since that time."I giggled and gave him a smile. "Yours doesn't sound like a complete crybaby, am I wrong ?"

He nodded. "She is very quiet. Doesn't cry a lot. She's curious about a lot of things, even if sometimes she gets scared of them after, as for the tattoo experience."

I shook my head in disbelief. "What a lucky man you are." He looked at me confused and I shrugged. "Let's just say Moonah doesn't have the easiest personnality to deal with."

I finished my piece of cake and stood up. « I have some work to catch on. I'll come back in one hour and half. »

 

He shook his head. « I'll bring her home after the movie. Don't worry about it. »

 

*

Bang YongGuk, in a edition house in Busan city, 14th of may 2007 around noon

I went out of the room of the director of the edition house and walked back to the elevator. I had time to eat and then go back to my office. I pushed the elevator button and looked around for a bit. « Kim Sujin. » This name telling me something, I got closer and looked though the glass wall at Miss Kim, Moonah's mother drawing. This last month, we were seeing each other a lot, dropping, picking up our daughter at the other home, letting them see each other to their heart content. Yet we didn't spend a lot of time together. Just the polite conversation, nothing more, nothing less. It wasn't the first time for me to witness her drawing on her board, as she had one as home too. The one here was bigger and she looked totally engrossed in her work. I stayed here asking myself if I should bother her or not, and decided myself to open the door and she gasped, making her glasses fall on the table. « Hey. »

 

Miss Kim gave me a confused look, trying to locate her glasses. I got closer to her and put her glasses in her hands. I looked at her wear them and smile a bit. "Thanks."

I hided a smile, she was still not daring to ask me what the heck I'm doing here, so I decided to answer to the unasked question. «  I have to write over a contract for a client with this edition house. »

 

She nodded, still startled that I was here. We stayed silent for a while. I had the courage to ask her something. « Did you have lunch yet ? Can I invite you ? »

 

She blinked twice and hesitated. She gave me a look and seemed shy at this idea of eating together. « I mean I would understand if you're busy. »

 

« No I'll be happy to eat with you Mister Bang. » She reassured me.She stood up and I looked at her particular outfit. A pastel jogging with a little bunny embroied on the left side of her chest. She looked cute,  ten years younger than me in appearance but so cute. I smiled at what I was thinking and once outside of the building, she looked at me.

« Where do you want to eat ? » She asked.I hesitated for a while and decided myself for a kimchi soup restaurant in one of the backstreet. I ate there often at lunch anyways.

The owner welcomed us and Moonah's Mom bowed lightly to her. This restaurant was pretty popular amond my collegues and seeing me bow to some people, she slightly bowed too, her cheeks becoming redder within the seconds. I made sure to sit the further possible to have some intimity and she was still red.

« I'm sorry. It's so embarassing. They saw you with me. Oh my god. Really I just love joggings okay. » She justified herself.

 

I looked at her with round eyes. « Wait you think I'm embarassed to be seen with you ? »

 

« I mean look at me and then at you. » She said shyly, hiding with the menu. I felt like pinching her cheek. I had a brief laugh, she was amusing. She looked at my suit and I understood she was worrying for my reputation more than her appearance. I frowned.

 

«I don't know whom told you that you should be ashamed of what you wear. » I stated, almost harshly. I let her choose her meal and ordered for the both of us. We waited, both drinking a bit of water and checking our phone.Out of the blue, she cleared and with a soft voice, spoke out.

« It's just that we look so mismatched. You are so classy while I'm so ... comfy. »She giggled and hided her smile with her hand.

She smiled as our meals arriving, we ate in a pretty big silence. She giggled and removed her glasses to eat, steam already covering them. I looked at her amand eyes and cheeks. She was really cute. Suddenly, I halted my thoughts. Why was I thinking this every ten seconds ?

 

I shook away this thought and remembered of something. « Ah, Happy Mother's Day. »

 

She bowed a little. « Ah Thanks Mister Bang. I'm so excited to get my pasta frame or necklace. »

 

I giggled softly and soon she looked at me curious, yet not asking me questions, she ate with eagerness, trying to hide her awkwardness. We ate in silence, the question obvious between us. What do I do with those Mother's day gift ?  I keep each of those gifts so one day, if her mom ever wants to meet her, she can have all of those memories. This is a silly thing I started to do. First videos of Taeyang walking or giggling, talking. Then her first drawings and other stuffs. Now I had an entire box of Taeyang gifts or deeds. So if her mom come back, she could catch up. She would never get back that time with Taeyang but she will be able to catch up. Like late run up.

 

Sujin sawllowed her noodles and took a sip of water. «  It's silly the school does that, a Parent's Day would be so much easier on single parents like us. I have so much trouble on Father's Day too !!!»

 

I smiled shooking my head. «Just appreciate today first. Are you planning to do something ? »

« Just have dinner with my daughter. And a cake. »She said dreamy before taking the last bite of her noodles. I had finished mine first and was waiting for her. She finished and soon I giggled. « The sauce. »

 

I extended my hand to get a tissue and touch her cheek before realizing what I was going to do. She blushed and soon stole the piece of tissue in my fingers and wiped the sauce away. To mask my embarassement, I took a sip of water and stood up to pay. As I said goodbye to the lady owner, I found her next to  me.

 

« I have to go back to the studio. But thanks for the meal. » She said with a smile.

 

I shrugged it off. «My pleasure. Hmm enjoy your mother day. »

 

« Yeah. » She already walked away when I remembered of something. I catched up her path and grabbed her wrist. She turned around with curious eyes.

 

«Hmm Miss Kim you'll be here at the job presentation ? » I asked curious.

 

I got a nodd from her and smiled. « See you then. »

 

*

Kim Sujin 20th of may, 3pm, in the village school

As I arrived to the school, I sighed out of stress. Today was a special day for the class of my daughter. One parent had to present their work. We had a presentation of 5 minutes about our work to explain to children and then 5 minutes of questions.

I sat on the room prepared for the event and I checked my face in the mirror, I had foundation on and makeup so I'd look older than my age. I rearranged my hair and as someone sat next to me I jumped out of surprise. I looked at YongGuk pick out my cushion and give it back to me. He looked nice - as usual. His  suit with classy shoes and hair gelled. « Hi to you, your way to say hello is original. »

 

I smiled. « Sorry I'm a little bit stressed. »

 

I was wearing jeans with a shirt, and basket. I looked quite creative too. The shirt was the one from the studio. « Here you are, vanilla latte. I hope you like it » YongGuk said handing me the cup.

"My favourite. Thanks"

I thanked him and took a sip of the coffee with a smile. I noticed a bracelet on his wrist and gently grazed it with my fingers. He noticed my gesture and snapped my hand away in a harsh manner. We both froze at this moment and I took a sip of coffee. He cleared his throat, embarassed.

 

« Sorry I hmm, I didn't expect it just automatically... I didn't mean to hurt you. » He excused himself.

 

I looked at his eyes, they were full of worries and regrets and nodded. « Okay don't worry. I was wrong to touch you like that anyways sorry. Just it's cute your bracelet. »

 

He looked at it and smiled. Lifting his sleeves, he showed me his bracelet. «Taeyang did it for me. She didn't grasp the whole gender story around pink and gave it to me. I wear it with pleasure. »

 

I smiled at this illustration of how much of a good father he was. He took a sip of his coffee and we both gasped hearing a voice behing us. « I see that the friendship between Kim and Bang are intergenerational. » We stood up to greet the teacher of our girls, himself wearing an amused grin. « So here your numbers, you have to stand up and go on stage to present your work. »

 

I looked at my number, I was the last one. He justified himself. « Yeah so I'm waiting for the late parents so they can be first. »

 

I gave him a smile and sighed. At least I could inspire myself of the parents. As the class of kids came in the room, they got the mission to sit next to their parent. YongGuk chuckled and got closer to my ear « Look at them, always together. »

I looked at him in confusion and we were really close to each other, lips at only centimeters. I looked away in the direction he wanted me to, and scoffed. « Always, they are sisters remember ? »

 

As they arrived next to us, they greeted us with excitement. « Can we sit next to each other ? »

 

We loked at each other, and we both changed of seat so they can be between us. We listened to the parents talk about their job, trader, musician, dancer, scultor, writer and such. As there are around twenty persons, soon, the time for YongGuk to stand up and present his job arrived.

 

« So now we have a lawyer, Bang YongGuk that came to talk about his job. He's Bang Taeyang father, applause !!!! »

 

He stood up and bowed to the audience, walking to the stage, I was fascinated, he was manly, charming, His suit made justice to his body, his long legs, large shoulders , everything on him was y, from the rebel strand of hair to his shy smile.

 

« Hello to everybody. » He looked awkward and his eyes searched for his daughter as she waved for him, he smiled. « So I'm a lawyer, you may wonder what a lawyer does. Basically people come to visit you they have a problem. And you're here to help them. »

 

« Like if their car is broken ? » A kid asked , YongGuk looked puzzled.

 

« Hmm, let's say you bought a toy from someone else. You expect this toy to be in perfect condition. Like not broken, but you realized that it's very broken, you paid the full price right ? So you want something in a nice condition. So you come to see me and I can help you with justice so you get compensation because this person lied to you. »

 

The audience looked very confused and a huge silence stayed for long seconds, until a child spoke up. « But I see lawyers on tv it's when someone get killed and there's someone that defends him and someone that defending the family. »

 

He sighed. « Ah Okay I guess if it's okay for me to talk about that ... » He looked at the teacher that nodded.

 

« Yeah so in this case, there's two lawyers, one for the killer and one for the family victim. Both tries to get their client will, so for the killer lawyer, he wants to get no jail or less time in jail for the killer and the family victim they want him to spend a lot of time in jail. Both lawyers work bery hard on their arguments. Then, the judge decided of his verdict after hearing us. »

 

« But why the killer must have a lawyer. He killed someone si he should go in jail !!!! » A little girl in the front said, making the kids approuve by shouting and YongGuk simply smiled.

 

« I see that a lot of you wants to buildt a dictature. » He chuckled as the children looked ashamed. « It's the basis of a rightful country. Everyone haves the right to be defended, killer or not, you deserve it as a human being. And after all who is sure he's the killer ? »

 

The children nodded understanding his point of view. He looked satisfied. « Does it mean you defended a killer before ? »

 

He shook his head. « Every lawyer have specialities. I'm a lawyer specialized in intellectual property law. If someone have a paint to sell, a book to publish, I become handy. »

 

The audience nodded and the professor stood up. « Okay leet's thank Mister Bang for his nice presentation. Lawyers are very busy so we can thank him for the time he took to come to see us. »

 

The audience clapped and I clapped too. Soon it was my turn. « So now it's our last presentation, Kim Sujin she's Moonah mom and she's a illustrator. »

 

I  greeted the little kids and parents in front of me. I searched for my daughter eyes and winked to her. « So I'm a illustrator. It means that when someone writes a book they can contact me so I can draw the illustrations ofr them. It's really simple»

 

I stopped myself, getting embarassed. The teacher came to me. «Sure it's really simple,  I thought that doing it would be nicier than talking about it so I've bring pencils and a notebook for you. Would you draw for us ? »

I nodded eargerly and he smiled. « So what should she draw ? » He asked to the classroom

 

The professor looked at the raised hands and Taeyang was chosen. « The little prince. »

 

« Okay. » I started to draw in silence « You can ask me questions in the meanwhile. »

 

« So you draw all day ? »

 

« Do you use paint ? »

 

« Can you draw with closed eyes ? »

 

As I answered the questions while drawing the children looked mesmerized. «So the time is over, have you finished Miss Sujin ? »

I showed to them my drawing and they looked pleased, enough to clap. I giggled and gave back the notebook and pencils to the teacher.. «Can I have it to pin it in our class ? » Teacher Lim asked. "Of course, with pleasure !!" I said. I came back to my seat and looked at Moonah smile at me.

"Mom, you were amazing !" She softly said. I hugged her and lifted her in my arms. "Remember we have to go and buy shoes for you ? We have to leave."

We bid goodbye to Taeyang and her dad and walked away ready to hop on the bus.


Here is the third chapter , hope you all like it =)