June : first tensions

Life Is A Puzzle

Bang YongGuk, Tuesday, 2nd of June 2007

A full week was spent with my daughter having flu, so I took some days off to take care of her. It wasn't so alarming to miss school until yesterday, she went to school but the teacher called me to say that I should come and picke her up. I was rumbling through her bag to throw the dirty tissues she used and then found a little box in her bag. I opened it and found an half eaten piece of cake. Miss Kim always made sure to bring enough of snacks so her daughter could share with mine.  Crumble. Chocolate cake and others bakeries.

I finished my task, storing the piece of cake in the fridge and throwing away the tissues she already used. The doctor just left the house and told me that I was wrong to send her to school when she was in this state. He looked judmental, asked to see my wife  to explain how to give her the meds and was spectical about telling me about the meds. I sighed, as I hated to think back about his visit here this morning.

I opened the door of her room to check on her. I was at her bed giving her meds and wiping away her fever when the door ringed. I walked to the door with lazy steps, still worried about Tae. I was moody and tired, maybe even getting the flu too. I opened the door to a smiley woman. « Miss Kim ? »

 

She waved to me. « Oh hi. I've brought  ginseng chicken soup, it's the ideal meal to get better. I heard that your daughter has the flu.»

 

I looked at her boxes that she shoved in my hands and blinked. She came with me in the kitchen and helped me to warm up the soup. As I was going in my daughter room, she waited in the kitchen. As I opened the door she looked at the figure in the bed and pouted. « Oh my little girl. »

 

I put the plate on her desk and woke up slowly Taeyang. « Hey it's time to eat. Miss Kim have done ginseng chicken for you to eat. »

 

She groaned and slowly she ate a few bites and drank all the soup. I sighed out of relief and kissed her forehead. « You can go back to sleep sweety. »

 

Sh waited for me with a huge smile. « I hope she'll be fine. »

 

« So what she would have died without your soup ? Gosh, so you came here because you were super worried about her health. It's been 6 years I take care of her, and I'm doing it well. I don't need anyone to pity her because I'm the only one taking care of her. »

"'kay." is the answer she gave me.

I made the plates fall in the sink and started to wash them. I was angry, so angry against the whole universe so I did clean all of my dishes in silence.I heard nothing and turned himself. She left without a noise, the door left wide open. I sighed. She left the house. I ended up wiping her boxes dry, I catched the lunch box that was in my daughter bag to clean it and slowly reached for her flat to excuse myself.

 

She opened her door and looked at me with angry eyes.

« Listen I'm sorry, I'm so over-

Soon, a faint voice was heard. «  Mom. » Her eyes changed and her face was a little bit pale as she walked to a room. I followed her shamelessly. I looked at her little daughter in bed, as sick as mine. « What is it darling ? »

 

« My throat hurts. » Sujin reached the syrup and gave her daughter a spoonful and blinked seeing her daughter smile. « Gosh you just wanted to tast the syrup. Moonah !!! » The little girl laughed and ended up coughing hard. Sujin helped her to lie back on the bed, covering her with a blanket. She closed back the door and jumped seeing me next to her.

 

I looked at her and noticed that she looked as worried as me. « I was rough, I apologize for being this rude to you. » She nodded and wiped her hands on her jeans, staying silent.

 

« Gosh no I don't want us to stay on that fight. I'm really sorry. You're okay ? I'm really sorry I got a litlle bit sensitive. »

 

She reached for the boxes in my hands and walked to the kitchen, I followed her, she put back the boxes in a big drawer and she spoke out suddenly. «It felt just right to give you this soup when you're my neighborg and my daughter probably gave the flu to yours you know ? »

 

« But all that you do for her, like snacks that your daughter shares and now ginseng chicken. » I said, not understanding why she was doing all of that.

She looked at my confused face and looked away, with angry eyes.  « Next time I'll restrain myself if it's that bothersome to you. »

 

I pursed my lips. « Listen, the doctor came and assumed I wasn't taking good care of her health. I could feel his judging galre on me and it got me upset. You have nothing to reproach you, just sorry. I was just moody I'm sorry. »

She considered me for a while. "Don't misunderstand me. She's my daughter's bestfriend and of course, I will give Moonah enough candy or cake to share with her bestfriend. And both of them are sick, I did that soup for Moonah and guess what ? I just wanted to help, I was nonely  thinking that you don't take care of her."

"Okay. Just I apologize, I'm really sorry."

She nodded longly, pursing her lips. "Okay."

"Okay" I repeated. "Well, I have to go back to Taeyang. I didn't think I thanked you for the soup, so thanks."

She shrugged. "You're welcome." Some aggressivity was hidden under that fake neutral tone.

I looked at her eyes and she looked quite upset so I  went back to my daughter.

 

*

 Kim Sujin, Last day of June, waiting for the time to pick up Moonah in a café

« Gosh you really draw well. » I heard. I was drawing on my skechbook in a café waiting to pick up Moonah and soon someone sat on the chair next to me. I raised my head and adjusted my glasses to see Taeyang father over my shoulder. He sat next to me and I considered him. Classy suit, suitcase and black phone. I bet he was a expresso kind of man. 

« Thanks you. » I said, mildly annoyed that I got bothered.  I closed my skechbook and he awkward waved his hand. « No please keep going. I won't disturb. I actually have work to do too. »

I nodded and looked at him get into files. I kept going with my drawing,  sketches and storyboards of the thing I had to drawn for the book and was really focused on my task. I tried to sip my cup of coffee and sighed as it was empty. I stood up and get my purse. « Do you want something ? »

 

The guy raised his head. « Coffeee muffin, cookie ? It's on me. » I added gently.

 

He pouted slightly and looked at the counter. « Another coffee. ». I went to take the order. As I came back to wait for our drinks,I handed him the recipt to show him the flavour I chose for him.  « How did you know ? » He asked.

 

I looked away. «  I assumed. You seems like the brilliant lawyer so I guess that brilliant lawyers get double expresso because they work a lot.» I took a sip of my coffee and closed my notebook, packing my pencils in their case.

 

He giggled a little. « So what did the illustrator in front of me take ? »

 

I smiled. « Caramel Latte, sugar is prone to imagination. »

He nodded and closed his huge file for while. He sighed and said gently.  « It's been a while. »

 

Yeah. I avoided him like the plague these days. I had no interest on seeing a man that could get angry at me for nothing. And after our argument I felt that being distant was a good deal for us. And this whole month of June I stayed in my lane, I was busy with deadlines and giving back Moonah a good health. We started back to spend days between mom and daughter and it felt nice. The girls saw each other less, only in school but it only meant we both avoided each other with skill.

The girls only got closer but for me I stopped to care about him, deadlines in the way I was busy spending all my time in the office. I shrugged. « Deadlines. »

 

« Wait are you still angry about last time ? Really ? » He asked astonished.

 

I sighed, profoundly not interested in this conversation. « I just don't want this to happen again. »

 

« So you've been avoiding me. » He clarified, his hands grazing his files. Gosh, why the drinks were taking so much time ? I looked around and noticed the numerous of people ordering and the poor employees trying to cope.

 

I sighed. « It's not like you profoundly enjoy my presence either. I understood your behavior so I just didn't feel like seeing you again.»

 

He widened his eyes and I blushed. « Okay. Thanks for being honest with me. »

 

« It's just that you looked so protective and possesive. I assumed you didn't want any woman near Taeyang. » I tried to explain myself.

 

« I don't hate women. » He stated, defensive.

I hided a chuckle, it sounded like a giant lie. I hummed as an answer, losing interest in this conversation.

 

« And I really like having you around. Our situation is so similar. » He said with a calm tone, I frowned and tried not to blush. Soon our order was ready and I went to take it and we both took a break of our tasks.

« Can I see your drawing ? »

I nodded and looked at him sit next to me. He looked at each drawing with admiration. « It's nice. »

 

« I try my best. » I said, voice shaking. I never knew how to answer to that. Thanks felt a little pretentious to me. He looked at every drawing and laughed suddenly. « It doesn't seem like your sense of art. »

 

I looked more precisely at the drawing. « Gosh Moonah. » It was a drawing of me, with the talent of a six years old. My big binuculars were taking half of my face and I laughed. She took the time to draw my bob hair and typical jogging. I was supposed to be mad yet I was really touched by her attention.

 

« If you keep drawing for other people, I'll draw for you ? Moonah » I read outloud before laughing.

 

« It's cute. » He said, a hand on his cheek.

 

I felt more comfortable. He didn't look as moody as last time. « She always harass me to draw for her, she doesn't understand it's my job and I end up really pissed off when working next to her.»

 

YongGuk suddenly nodded. « So she thought it was a good idea to draw for you and put it here until you discover that ? »

 

I nodded, with a half-smile. « Blame her dad on that romantic act. I never clean up my drawings so I would have found out years later. »

 

Suddenly, Mister Bang phone buzzed and he turned off the alarm.  «Maybe we should start to go to the school. It's time»

We packed our things and soon, walking to school with him,  I realized something. « How come you're here to pick her up ? »

 

« Ah, one trial got cancelled and I decided to pick her up to surprise her a little bit. »

 

«Nice of you. » I said as we walked side to side to the school. A lot of moms were already here chatting with each others. I greeted with a smile some that I knew and we waited patiently for our daughters to arrive. They arrived, holding hands with each others. Taeyang saw her dad and she removed her hand to jump in her dad arms. I looked at this heartwarming view, my daughter hugging my leg, curious of the dad-daughter relationship in front of her. YongGuk pecked the forehead of his daughter and put her back on the floor. « Had a good day ? »

 

« I want you to pick me up everyday. » She confessed, with a smile.

 

He looked awkward at this sentence and  Moonah spoke out to me, stealing all the attention. «I want to play with Taeyang at home. Can she sleep there ? It's been a while we didn't see each other Mom. »

 

I  gave a look to YongGuk that gave me a thumbs up and agreed. YongGuk dropped us at home, and I served the children some cake. Then for the dinner, we ended up eating together, pasta because it's my daughter favourite. YongGuk was supposed to come back with some clothes and toiletries for his daughter. I was on my computer, reading a mail of her father when YongGuk came back with a bottle of wine. « I think it's time for wine. Time to reset. We were supposed to become friends so our daughters would be happy. »

 

I tried to smile, because it was nice of him. Yet my mood was really down. I didn't mind Kang Joon anymore. But Moonah she loves him. He saw her twice since that call when he told me his desire to meet his daughter. He's busy, yeah gosh he's super busy studying the skin of sharks or their teeths or whatever sharks-related Really. Yet, Moonah waited for his days off and his once a year return to Korea with so much excitement that it got me afraid. I was taking care of her daily yet it looked like she preferred her dad that have low interest for her to me... 

I was sighing loudly staring at my glass of wine, he cancelled his visit to Korea, because he had to wrap up some researches first. 

I tried to not think about this and took glasses of wine and the thing to open it.YongGuk poured wine in there. He smiled at me yet his smile faded when he saw my frown. « Something is off ? »

I tried to shake my head and took a sip of wine. "No. The wine is really good by the way."

Mister Band sighed. "You're really okay ?" He insisted.

I bite my lips and decided to reveal what was saddening me. « I just received an email. From her dad. He's cancelling his visit. It's been one year  that they didn't see each other. »

 

« Oh. That's a shame. »

 

«I really want her to have an healthy relationship with her dad. What does it cost him to spend two hours with her ? It would make her so happy. » I asked, as low as possible. If Moonah learned that fact tonight, she would cry all the tears of her body.

 

He sighed. «He's missing out on her.I guess it's never easy. »

 

I looked at him make the wine wave in his glass. He looked hurt and sad. I didn't want to be invasive but he looked like someone that wanted to talk. « Her mom doesn't visits a lot ? » I asked before hiding my mout with both of my hands.

 

He sighed and ran a hand on his face slowly. «Her mom …. it's complicated.»

 

« Oh I'm sorry if I was intruding your personnal life it wasn't my intention. » I said, really worried about how he would react. I really didn't want to hurt his feelings. I ended up blushing as he gave me a look while sipping his wine. I looked at his adam apple bob up and down for long seconds as he emptied his glass and looked away, my cheeks on fire. I felt like a stupid high school girl in front of an adult. He shrugged.

« It's okay. You didn't.»

The man in front of me sighed loudly and I felt the huge pressure around him. How miserable he was. He smiled sadly to me and poured one more glass for him after pouring some for me.

« Did you plan to get a child ? » He asked out of the blue. I blushed and he cleared his throat. « Ahh sorry for the intimate question. I'm just very curious. »

 

« Not at all. But today I can't even recall what was my life before having her. It's so confusing. Who was I hanging out with ? What did I do alone in my flat for years ? How did I busy myself on days ?What did I do of all my free time you know ? Was I really getting 8 hours night of sleep ? It's almost like a blackout.»

 

He laughed and sipped his glass before saying casually. « You're cute Miss Kim. »

 

I looked around trying to avoid his eyes and saw him pour wine for the both of us. I guess he was a little bit flustered by the wine, with red cheeks, but it wasn't his first glass either ; maybe his fourth cup I realized. I looked at him remove his necktie, dropping it on the table and unbutonned his shirt a little bit.

 

« I think I've drunk too much. » He declared out loud. I looked at him, he looked so good. Lips stained with the wine. I chuckled and looked at him take another sip of his wine and gulped on it. «  But it doesn't mean that I'm not thinking you're really cute miss Kim. Maybe we can start calling ourselves by name ? »

 

I looked at him with curiosity. The real cutie here was him, slightly drunk and flirting a bit. « Yeah maybe. »

 

« Call, Sujin. » He suddenly chuckled, resting his back against the couch. « Aissh even your name is pretty. »

 

I adjusted once again my falling glasses on my nose and tried to not show how much of a pink tomato I've became. He came closer ang took off my glasses. « Huh really pretty. »

 

Then he sat back on the couch and closed his eyes. I was so taken aback that suddenly I realized what happened : he was now asleep on my couch. I smiled and left the sofa. He ended up lying on the couch and I put a blanket on him. I went to check on the girls.

They were quietly drawing on a piece of paper. I sat in front of them with a smile. « Hey, Taeyang Appa is asleep on the couch so don't disturb him. Be silent if you ever go there. »

 

They nodded and as it was late, I took care of them, bringing them in the bathroom, watching over them as they brushed their teeths and took a bath together.



The fourth chapter is there =)