Being called Dad

Life Is A Puzzle

 

 

Bang Yongguk

She hugged me tighly. « Hey something is wrong ? »

I raised my head to see Kang Joon, lost in thoughs. « I came to bring back your daughter. »  I was confused by his choise of words. Moonah entered home and I brought her back to me. « Don't go to your mom yet, huh. »

I made them sit in the living room and Moonah sat next to me. « Did something happen ? » I asked.

« Grandma asked me tons of questions about you and then she just badmouthed you. » Moonah started to tell. She looked at her dad and avoided his eyes. « I told her to stop but she wouldn't then I just said to her to shut up that she had no right to hate on you because since I've know you, you've been a better dad to me that my actual dad ever was. »

I feel  flustered. « Moonah you shouldn't have said that. »

« They provoked me Uncle. They really did. » She started to sobb and I hugged her « It's okay everything will be alright, huh Moony ? » She didn't smile like usual when I said that and hugged me tigher. I sighed. Gosh that damn complicated situation. « Wait for me here, okay ? »

We both looked at her on the couch and walked to the door. I cleared my throat. « I'm sorry for what she said. She shouldn't have said it. She's obviously not thinking this way. Hmm give her time to apologize. »I said sincere when I said that.

Kang Joon looked tired and hurt. His eyes were almost almond today. «It's okay I know I'm not the one she can count on. I'm just here a few days a year how could she ? It's fine with me. If my mom calls just end the call, I'll try to prevent that but well ... »

 

I patted his shoulders, feeling bad for him. « You should come back before your flight and say goodbye to her still. »

He smiled a bit. « Yes I will. »

I greeted him goodbye and found Moonah on the couch, quiet. She was looking at the photos in there. Of us obviously.

« Should we take a walk outside ? » I asked her. She followed me outside and we walked in silence to the fields next to our home.. Morning just rise and it was still fresh. « You didn't take your jacket ? » I said, looking at her light tee-shirt and jeans she was wearing.

« Oh I must have forgotten it at Grandma. » She explained. I sighed and took my huge nightgown to wrap her up in there. She blushed.

« I'm sorry I never allowed you to get closer to me. » She whispered. « You were my dad all along, right ? »

«It took time. I didn't have a starting point, at some point I realize I just thought of you as my daughter. »

 

« How many years had it been ? » She asked, guiltiness in her voice.

 

 

I sighed. Did it start when I mas mistaken as her dad in Jeju ? When my heart sinked hearing about people bullying her ? I had no idea.

« 3 years ? 4 years ? » I revealed to her, she looked down. « I'm so sorry. Oh , I'm so sorry. » She was crying right now.

I brought her closer to me, I hated when she cried. « It didn't change anything for me Moonah. I know you appreciate me. Whatever you call me, I know you do. »

 

« So it'd be okay for me to call you Dad ? » She asked, her voice trembling.

 

I gave her a surprised look. She scoffed. « Oh come on, you know the exact amount of sugar I need in my hot chocolate, you comforted me each time I had a nightmare and visited my new school with me when I was terrified to go. You're able to tell in which class I am, which optional  courses I follow and my clubs." She wiped her tears.

"He doesn't know one thing about me. I'm still happy to know who he is.  My biological dad has a lot of qualities, he's passionated about his job, he speaks an excellent english, he travels a lot and loves photography, he can tell me funny stories about Mom and teach me about science. »

 

« There's a but right ? » I said, hesitating.

 

« Oh god, what he have done to mom …» She looked back at the house, lost in thoughts. « You better keep that as a secret. Mom had no ideas I know about that.» She suddenly told me.

« Who told you all of that ? » Sujin never wanted her to know the exact truth, thinking she will despite her dad.

Moonah simply shrugged. « I overheard grandpa and grandma and just glued back together the few informations I had. It wasn't a complicated story anyways.He left like a coward after Mom told him she was pregnant.»

 

I her shoulders. « Yeah but think about how frightening it was for him. That doesn't mean he doesn't love you, okay ? »

 

She sighed. « It's not about me. I know he kind of likes me. It's about the young girl that was rejected by all, to welcome me in her life. »

I nodded obedient and Moonah stared at me with her green eyes, she was loyal to her mom. I'm sure her Mom doesn't have an idea about how far her little girl knows about her life. «It's sunday lets go back to the house. It's still cold. »

Moonah gave me her hand. « Let's go dad. »

I took her hand with a smile. « Moony ? »

« Hmm dad ? » She said with a smile. I stayed froze for a second, this is what I wanted since WooJun is born, that all my children call me dad. I almost forgot what I was about to say.

«I want you to have a good relationship with your biological dad. We can both be your dad, huh ? You have to accept how he is and just have two dads. » I said to her. It was important for me to clarify that, I didn't want her to stop all interactions with him.

 

She linked, surprised. « Can I ? »

 

« Of course, Moonah. If you want to meet him that's fine with me. You also have to apologize okay ? You hurted him with your words. In definitive ... you have two dads, isn't great ? »

She stayed silent for a while before smiling. « Yeah, it's funny. At least I have the chance to know him, unlike Taeyang with her mom. »

 

I nodded. « Yeah, you still had that chance. »

 

When we came back, Sujin was on the phone, bowing a bit. She must have heard of the story. « Yeah I'm sorry if Moonah behaved wro- »

 

I came to her side and took the phone in her hand. « Let me handle this. » Sujin looked at me grateful and went to hug Moonah.

 

I entered my office and presented myself to the woman vocivering insults. « I hope you stop bothering Sujin for your son mistakes. She took care of Moonah which for your informations is your grandaughter- all alone for years, she stopped her studies, she grew distant of her family, she was homeless. And your son ? Flee off to Australia. Next time think well about who you're insulting. »

 

She stayed silent for long seconds. I added up. « Next time you'll call, it's still me that'd be answering. Don't even think about harassing Sujin on her phone. » I knew Sujin had trouble with Kang Joon 's mom when things weren't great between Moonah and him.

 

She hang up and I came downstairs, eager to hug Sujin. Moonah was explaining to her what happened, and Sujin sighed. «Oh darling. »

 

Moonah nodded, not really comforted. I approached them and Moonah shrugged. « Anyways I need to introduce you to my real Dad. »

She dragged me next to Sujin and the woman laughed. « Oh Moonah, that's a big step. »

 

Moonah shrugged. « Not really. I always knew I could count on Dad. » Sujin nodded, she looked a bit worried and nervous. I guess waking up by insults in a call wasn't a nice way to wake up. "Well, I'll catch some sleep it's still early." Moonah said before climbing upstairs. Sujin kissed me. "This is what you wanted right ? Being called Dad by all your kids."

I grinned and hugged her. "Yeah, you can't imagine how happy I am."

*

 

Sujin August 2013

Our family trip in Southern France was nice. YongGuk skin became a golden color, and he enjoyed his vacation by wearing loose shirts, without sleeves. He was happy. The girls were definitely happy to enjoy the hot weather annd exploring the cities with us. Today we had to take the plane back to South Korea. I readjusted my marinière and gave a pat to Woojun one. We had matching outfit today. He won't remember clearly of this trip yet made sensation everywhere he went. He was smily and outgoing to people. The air hostress almost wanted to keep him for them. They took time to play with him and show him the plane while I was in YongGuk arms, absolutely terrified of the flight.

 

« Mom it's ridiculous. Why are you so afraid ? » Moonah said, rolling her eyes. She was reading a book already, not waiting for the departure to read. She was nonely afraid of the plane.

Taeyang giggled. « Are you sure it's just not an excuse to hug Dad during the flight ? »

 

YongGuk laughed and gently my back."Either way, I'm fine with your mom hugging me, don't worry." 

I groaned and loosen my crip on YongGuk shirt. « I'm really scared okay ? I hate everything about taking the plane! »

 

Moonah shrugged. « Whatever I'm busy don't talk to me. » I gasped at such indifference to my deepest fear.

 

«Unnie you said we'll watch a movie together !! » Taeyang said, not happy with her sister choice.

WooJun was indeed the one that had the niciest flight of all. I slept on Moonah, to let YongGuk take care of Woojun and woke up a bit before we got down. I looked at WooJun being cuddled by air hostress and came to apologize. « Oh I'm sorry he is curious, it's his first time in the plane. »

 

The lady shook her head. « Come on, he didn't even cry once. He's a lovely boy. It makes me miss my little one at home. »

 

We chitchatted for a long time, talking about family and work. She was a nice girl and ended up giving a gift to WooJun. "WooJun-ah, I'll give you a mini-plane okay ?" 

Woojun took it eagerly and smiled. "Thanks you very much !!" He ran back to his dad, wanting to show his present.

 

I walked back to my seat and WooJun was already on his father lap, showing his plane to him. «Dad ! »

 « Hey it's almost time for breakfast you should come here and eat okay ? »

 

After our breakfast arrived, YongGuk made him eat his special baby breakfast with patience. I automatically gave my husband food as he was busy.  I looked at Taeyang eat her food while Moonah ate, more interested by her book. Gosh, I loved being surrounded by my family.

 

*

Bang YongGuk, 11th of October

Sujin looked anxious as we parked in front of the Court. Moonah looked at the building with amazed eyes. « You work in there ? »

 

« Yeah, I come here when I have trials, so pretty often. »

 

Sujin walked behind us, silent, WooJun was asleep in her arms.. Moonah looked radiant looking at the people in robe. Himchan arrived and brought us to a room. He briefed Moonah on what she needed to say left us alone before the trial.

 

« You can make us visit after we're done, Dad ? » Moonah said, amazed by the luxurious architecture of the Court.

 

I nodded. « Yeah, it's open to public we can even sneak in a trial if you want ! »

 

Moonah eyes widened. « Really, I'm in !!! »

 

The audience was really quick, it was hard to find judges that didn't know me at all but the family law judges weren't familiar of my face so they only smiled when they noticed I was a lawyer.

 

«Yong Lady would you like to present yourself ? »

 

« I'm Kim Moonah, and I'm thirteen. »

 

They asked her a few more questions and soon send her back next to her mom. « Mrs Bang YongGuk, do you know what your daughter is studying this year ? »

 

I answered easily, even talking about her clubs. After a few more question, they told me they were over with me. They smiled. « Can we now have Kim Sujin ? »

 

Sujin dropped Woojun in my arms and bowed to the judges. «Does Bang YongGuk have your consent about this adoption ? »

 

« Yes he have. » She was shy. The juge smiled a bit seeing her embarassed ways. « MOM !! » WooJun shouted, surprising all of us. I bowed to the judges and tried to make him silent. He whined and Sujin came to take him in her hands.

 

She came to sit back next to me and soon it was over. Moonah was officially my daughter. I adopted her as the husband of her mom, which made things easier. Moonah hugged me and we went to celebrate by having a simple meal together.

« What do you want to eat ? » I asked my daughter.

 

She lookred around and clapped in her hands. «  I want pizza, with mushroom and kimchi. »

 

I nodded and we entered the pizza place. Sujin was still silent, enough to make her daughter worry. « Mom I don't like it when you're this silent. »

 

« Oh hhum, I just thought about today. I just feel happy. » She said taking a bite of pizza.

I frowned, not convinced. Sujin was a sunshine when she was happy, her eyesmile accentuated.

«You seems like you saw a ghost. » I stated to her. I didn't really understand why and it was quite vexing actually.

Sujin looked at me and touched my hand. « I thought about me back then. This young girl would have been so happy. Well, if someone would have told me I'd had a husband and he'd be willing to adopt my daughter, I would have roll my eyes at such silliness. »

I her arm, now a bit more understanding. « Yeah but I did it right. Now you have to smile, you deserve it. »

WooJun whined as no one gave him food and Sujin hugged him. «Everything is okay now, it's true»

Moonah held her hand and pouted. « Ah sorry it's supposed to be a happy day, I'm just really emotional. » Sujn said, wiping a stray tear. She prepared WooJun bottle in a great silence and gave it to him.

Then, I gently held her in my arms and kissed the cheek of my crybaby of a wife.



In the chapter you have a hint of what the next chapter will be.

Well it's not that obvious but next chapter, someone will make an appearance !!