The Gift

Life Is A Puzzle

Kim Sujin

I checked if my makeup didn't smudge and putted back some cushion, it wouldn't hurt. I rearranges my hair and pursed my lips. I looked the nicest. I would never look this good in ages. So I should be confident. I sighed and went out of the restroom. I bumped into someone and excused myself as I picked the phone on the floor. I quickly excused myself and went back to the hotel hall where YongGuk was waiting for me. He was patiently waiting, a sigh leaving his mouth really impatient. I poked his side and he looked at me in disbelief.

"Great so you couldn't escape by the bathroom windows." He stated, looking at me. I gasped and he only grinned. "I know you're nervous."

He lead me to the room where the party was held.  Everyone had their eyes on us as we entered. I bite my lips, head lowering. YongGuk gently squeezed my hand and I looked at him. "Relax. They are going to love you."

I nodded shyly, my heartbeat getting quicker. YongMi came to my side right away with her husband.  « Sujin, it's a pleasure to see YongGuk accompagnated tonight. » We chatted a bit , YongMi complimenting my dress. Soon someone arrived and listened quietly to me. I suddenly gasped, when I realized who she was.

 

« You're YongGuk mother right ? Taeyang just looks like you so much. » I asked, politely.

 

The woman nodded, tears almost filling her eyes. « I'm so happy to meet you, darling ! YongGuk is being so  secretive about you, but there is nothing to be secretive about. You're so pretty and look so avenant. »

 

« Thanks you Madam. Nice to meet you. I'm Sujin » I bowed respectfully to her and she put a warm hand on my shoulder.

"Believe me I'm so happy to finally meet you !" She said, making me giggle. YongGuk came to our side, he was talking with Minho, YongMi husband and only realized his mom was here now. He opened is arms and his mom hugged him. They looked close. I smiled at the cute view.

 

*

Bang YongGuk

"You look so happy, my baby boy. ." Mom whispered to me. Last year, when we offered them the cruise around the whole world, she looked so worried to leave. Because of me. It felt good to have her here after all this time being apart.

I shurgged. "I'm doing well." She doesn't know about me getting hospitalized. Honestly, she didn't need to know, what counts is that right now, I'm happy. She wiped some tears and I laughed. "Mom, you're such a crybaby."

YongMi came to her side and gave her a tissue. "Come on Mom you're making things awkward for Sujin, let's go and have some hors d'oeuvres." My mom nodded and grabbed Sujin hand for a second. «  I hope you'll have a nice time here with us, Sweety. »

 

She was dragged away by my dad and I realized how much people my sister actually invited. First thing, she froced me to greet everyone, and shoved a mic in my hands for a debut speech. I've came prepared to make them laugh. I wasn't an excellent lawyer for nothing :  I was an excellent orator. When I thanked them and gave back the mic, the people clapped  and I received a cup of champagne from my uncle. I awkwardly looked at my glass. Sujin noticed my uneasiness as I sat next to her. "Give me that." I gladly did as she told me and mouthed a thanks you. As we sat on a table, I looked at dad sit next to Sujin.

"You're Sujin, right ? Nice to meet you, I'm his dad, Bang Dae Jun." He quietly stated. She bowed to him and they shake hands awkwardly. Soon, he asked some questions to her. "Your dad works ?"

"Ah, he sells alcohol in Busan." She answered. I knew that yet they started to talk about soju, makgeolli and other specific alcohols, enough to amaze me. It was a side of Sujin I didn't know. I knew of her high tolerance to alcohol and now, finally realized why she was gifted with that skill. I was surprised to see how talkative Dad got with Sujin.

He was avoiding to talk to me in purpose, as we had unpleasant things to talk about : the law firm and surely my daughter throwing a tanthrum at him. But it was okay for the moment to not talk about that. It was my birthday. We didn't see each other for a year.

I was surprised how fast the party was spent. The food was delicious and we spent a nice moment. People were already singing happy birthday to me, not minding that it was not midnight yet. I felt happy as Sujin asked about the people there. I made her meet with my extended family, but also my seniros and hoobaes from work. 

"YongGuk is our best lawyer. His sharp eyes make him have a very frightening aura." My uncle said, trying to sympathise with her.

 

Sujin laughed and my uncle tried to imitate my expressions during trial. "He's also one of the most handsome lawyers of our firm, don't you think so ?"

The woman at my arm laughed and I furrowed my eyebrows. She was always the first to throw an huge amount of compliments on a daily basis. "I didn't have a single look at the others lawyers. YongGuk is handsome, the most handsome I'm sure."

Himchan suddenly stood up and groaned. "Wait you've seen me !! I'm more handsome than YongGuk." He complained, raising his voice. People started to look at us.

I looked at Himchan with midly annoyed expression and Sujin shrugged. "Sorry Himchan. Meeting you didn't change my opinion. But you're very nice-looking, don't worry." She squeezed my hand, lovingly. Mom came to our side. "You have to cut your cake and have the first sip of champagne."

I nodded and brought Sujin next to me. She looked at the huge cake the company ordered for me and gasped. "It's blueberry. Your favourite." I whispered to her as I cut the first part. This single act of closeness made my mom go wild. She stood and started to scand  « A kiss a kiss, a kiss !!!! »

Sujin became red like a tomato, as a large part of the public started to scand that to us, I pecked Sujin cheek in a swift moment. She ended up hiding her head in my chest making most of the people laugh. We ate our piece of cake with a shared glass of champagne, Sujin always secretly drinking my glasses.

Then came the moment of the dance. I gave my playlist so I knew I would enjoy the music. As the music started to play, I stood up and asked Sujin for a dance. She nodded and we danced

« How is it ? Boring right ? » I asked her. Last year, I didn't celebrate my birthday, because I didn't feel like it. But the previous years, I always remember of being just sad. For most of my family, I was the guy whose woman left for another woman. So this year was a new experience, almost like being reborn.

« I mean. It's intimidating. » She said, rearranging my necktie.

 

I chuckled. « I can sense that you're not at ease. »

 

I made her spin around and she smiled. « I'm dizzy don't do that. Remember I'm the one who drinks all of your champagne ?  »We ended up chatting while dancing. At a moment, I got tapped on my shoulder.

« Can I dance with you ? » My dad asked to Sujin. She nodded and I let go of her waist, eager to find back her presence next to me. My sister came to slow dance with me. She was sporting a teasing smile. «You form a great couple. She even blushes a little when talking to you. It's adorable. Mom is so happy. I guess you are having a nice birthday party ? »

My eager nodd made her laugh and she ended up hugging me. She saw me at my worst moments. When Hana was a living hell and I had to walk on eggs to keep her quiet. When she was pregnant and started to throw horritles tantrums, breaking everything at her reach. My sister was always able to sense my mood. She was the one who stayed with me when Tae was a baby and I was heartbroken. I became a living hell yet she stayed. At that time, she was pregnant. She always worried a lot about me. Now I guess that she is glad I'm dating someone.

 

I scanned the dance floor to find Sujin and frowned as she wasn't there anymore. As the sond finished, I let my sister have a dance with her husband and searched for Sujin. I found her sat next to my dad, having liquor.

«Oh YongGuk !! We're having makgeolli. » She said, giddy.

« You're crazy ? You'll be drunk in a millisecond. » I protested. She laughed cutelyand drunk her cup in one shot. I gasped and my dad shook his head. « It's not her first cup and she's far from being drunk. Don't worry. »

She laughed and served my dad.

*

We had a good night, Sujin was shy for sure yet the fact that she stepped out of her comfort zone for me was a huge proof of love and warmed my heart so much. People started to offer me gifts and I received them with pleasure. YongMi  got me the usual relaxation therapy seance for 2 hours, this time for two persons. On the name if the office, I received two pots of  succulents to decorate my office. My parents offered me a new watch that they got me in Greece and I thanked them longly. I was talking with them longly when I noticed Sujin talking with Yongmi.

"What were you talking about ?"

Sujin smiled to me while Yongmi loked away. "Oh I asked her about the relaxation therapy. I've never done that before."

"Oh yeah, I've told her it's a really nice place and it's very nice for couples." YongMi said, still looking nervous.

I nodded, not convinced by their smiles. "Instead of luring my  gift, where is yours ?"

"Later." Sujin said with a grin.

"Everyone already gave me theirs, you are quite unpolite don't you think so ?" I said, getting impatient. I was really curious of what she would offer me. A shirt ? A lamp ? Wood sculpting classes ? It was a real mystery.

"Later. After the party." She said gently. I nodded and kissed her lips gently, getting my mom to clap in her hands. Sujin chuckled, suddenly shy. Mom came to her side and cleared . "When can I meet my other granddaughter ? I'm so excited to welcome her in our family you know ! Kids told me she have gorgeous hazelnut eyes, gosh, I'm looking forwards getting to know her."

Sujin blinked a bit.

"Oh do you have a problem with your lenses ?" Mom asked, a hand on Sujin shoulder.

My girlfriend shook her head. "No ... I just feel so glad that you want to meet Moonah. I'm sure she'll adors you."

Mom hugged her. "I love kids so much. I already have 4 grandchildren but well a fifth one wouldn't hurt." Then, she looked at me with teasing eyes and whispered to me "I even want a sixth one."

I rolled my eyes and she laughed. I hugged my mom and caressed her forehead; Mom managed to be a careerwoman and an excellent mom. She was absent yes, but made sure to call us and take care of us when she could. I knew she suffered from this situation, Dad told me she would often fall of exhaustion. She loved us so much but what could she do when she loved her job the same way ? Now, she looks way more peaceful. She stopped to work, years ago when I got married and begged my dad to move to Busan so they'll be closer to me. She kept an eye on me and my daughter during Taeyang first year.

Now she got all the time of the world to enjoy some time with us or our children.  She asked for Sujin some pictures of Moonah even tho I already sent her some. Her interest was high. Seeing her looking at the photos, she looked like a little child excited to meet a new friend. I knew she already loved Moonah so much. Dad came next to mom and looked at the photos with a smile.

Soon, YongMi came to her side and showed her thumbs up. Sujin winked to her and bowed a bit. They were too far away for me to hear and I was suspicious of them. "What are you scheming together ?"

"Nothing." YongMi retorted, her smirck saying otherwise.

"My gift ? Give it to me." I said to Sujin, interrupting my parents talking to her.

"But we'll have to leave for that, it's okay ?" She teased me, I sighed and sat next to her. "Patience is a vertue. You'll get it on the 31th of november."

I gave a heartful speech to the assemblee, looking at Sujin. If I spent such a nice night, it was mainly thanks to her. I didn't want to embarass her and have her name in my speech despite  it being obviously  about her. The party was now over and I thanked everyone for coming here. My family. My coworkers. My friends from high school. I greeted everyone while they left and soon only Sujin and I remained in the hotel room. She was talking about the staff to have some cake leftovers. I smiled and came to her side, almost mole a capricious child. "My gift."

She laughed and checked the time on my new watch. "Oh, now it's really your birthday. Let's go."

In the stairs for the car,  she attacked my lips in a hurry. I felt dominated. She had way more alcohol than me and tasted like the bitter liquid yet I was hooked in that kiss, ending up having her tongue massage inside my mouth. As we pulled away, she looked at her phone. « Happy birthday, love. »

 I brought her against me and kissed her softly, hands searching for her zipper. She pulled away laughing. « Not eager anymore for your gift ? »

I sighed loudly and teared my hands away from her body. This activity could wait a bit. "Let's go."

We left the hotel and crossed the street. We were in the trendiest part of Seoul and soon Sujin get in the direction of the subway. I followed her, curiosity raised by her mysterious smile.We got out at my office station and I looked at her walk to the building of the law firm with a groan.  « The office ? Why did you want to come here ? It's my birthday,come on !! » I even asked for a free day to really enjoy it and she brought me in the office. Is she even serious.

 

She laughed. « Your real present in there. In your office. » We got to my office and Sujin insisted on putting her hand on my eyes as I was entering my private office. I entered and she the light. "Gosh are they serious. YongGuk don't look !!"

I waited, my hands closing my eyes while she mumbled a bit, apparently moving around according to the sound of her high heels on the floor. Soon, I got annoyed. "Sujin ..."

"Yeah yeah a minute please." What seemed like two hours after, Sujin finally came back to my side. "You can open your eyes."

I looked at the huge painting on the wall. A jeju sunset we witnessed as a family. It was a huge painting covering almost all of my grey wall facing my desk, sunset on the beach. I looked at the four little black silhouettes at the far left of the painting. Us. I touched it with my hands and felt moved. « You painted that for me ? »

 

« Yeah I thought that your office was … plain. Oh and sorry about the whole waiting. They didn't fix it perfectly straight on the wall and I get really sensitive about that. » She explained to me with a smile. She took a few steps back and looked with only one opened eye. She smiled. "It's perfect now."

 

« I'm so happy you did this for me. » I was able to mumble. It was such a nice gift. « Thanks you Sujin. My birthday present was supposed to be you being my guest at my party, but you proved me wrong.»

 

I suddenly felt emotional. « You were the miracle in my life I wasn't even waiting for. » She did more than bringing life and colors to my office, she brought them back in my life.

 

Sujin felt uncomfortable. « Gukkie don't say that. »

 

«Even Taeyang felt glad that I was dating you. She told me I was always alone and that now you're here she felt happy. » I wiped a tear and lowered my head. Sujin walked back to me and she hugged me.

« Hey don't cry on your birthday. Huh ? » She whispered to me, in a sweet manner.

 

« But I'm so happy !!  Just give me three minutes. » I hugged my miracle close against my chest and in a soothing manner, she my back softly. « Happy birthday, love »



A sweet chapter on this cozy sunday. Hope you're enjoying free time with your loved one.