Us time

Life Is A Puzzle

I ended my call with Kang Joon. We talked. Quietly. For the first time. He explained to me what he did with Moonah and I took my time to explain to him why he shouldn't have done that. We agreed on him taking Moonah this weekend and I ended the call.

 

I thought about my husband that just had the less nice visit of his life in his own office. Gosh. This guy had no manner. I entered the house and found YongGuk in his office, faking to work.

 

« Hey love. » I called him. He raised his eyes on me and I hated how sad looking he was. « YongGuk. »

he avoided my gaze. « How did you feel when you saw my wedding picture ? »

 

I blinked, what was that out of the blue question ? « Sujin, tell me honestly. »

 

« It felt just weird. You look so happy on that photo and she's so pretty and elegant. » He softneted a bit, hearing me say that. I sat on the edge of his desk and took his hands. « Should we go and have a walk ? »

 

« Moonah Taeyang we're going for a walk, take care of Woojun, huh ? » YongGuk said, the girls raised their head from their lessons and nodded. WooJun was quietly playing with his toys at their feet.

 

We got outside and I took the side of the fields. YongGuk held my hand and started to speak. « Moonah got a photo from him. Of you two. You looks so happy on that photo and he's so ing handsome. I hate that photo. »

 

« Oh YongGuk. » I noww had teary eyes. « I'm so sorry. Everything is my fault. I should have... manage him better. »

 

« Why ? Should you manage him better than anyone huh ? » He asked now annoyed.

 

I gulped. «You know that I'm the only adult. YongGuk he's not … responsible. I should have been responsible way back then. If I had to get pregnant from a guy in university, why was it Kang Joon and not a guy with common senses ? He even came to see you, without any shame. Gosh...»

 

I sat down in the fields and for a moment the only sound that could be hear is the sound of the wind brushing the wheat grass. My husband sat in front of me and sighed. « I know I shouldn't be jealous or angry at you. You never did anything wrong. You love me so dearly and Moonah I know she has affection for me. It should be enough. But my love is greedy. I'll try to keep in mind that love should not be selfish. If Moonah wants to see him and she's happy, that's fine with me. »

 

I hugged him tighly. « Oh YongGuk you have no idea how much I love you. »

 

As we went back home, my eyes found our wedding photo. It's been almost four years we're married. And eight years we started dating. This is my longest, my strongest relationship. « There's a reason I call you Love, you didn't know ? »

My husband blushed lightly and wiped a stray tear from his cheek. I came to hug him. « Love, don't cry huh ? You didn't know I love you ? »

 

YongGuk laughed in between his tears. «I guess I'm too sensitive. »

 

*

 

I looked at my husband slowly wake up as Woojun was touching his face. « Appa ! »

 

He hugged both me and Woojun. « Good morning sweety ; goodmorning my son. »

Unlike yesterday he looked like he was in a good mood. He gently applied his hand on my neck and kissed me longly. « YongGuk you'll be late to work. Come on I woke up before you, do you realize ? »

 

« Today I'll go to work in the afternoon. » He said, with a smile. I shook my head. « Silly husband. »

 

He groaned. « Sujin, I don't seem to remember how do you call me ? »

 

I blushed. « You know it perfectly. »

 

My husband smircked and I sighed. Here he started. « I feel like hearing it from you. »

 

I showed him my tongue and ran away. YongGuk followed me downstairs with Woojun. «YOU EVIL WIFE !! »

 

He catched me in the kitchen, as the girls were taking their breakfast. He pinched my cheek with his free hand and I yelled. « Love stop it stop it. Are you happy now ? »

He nodded, now quiet. « This is what I wanted. »

 

Taeyang laughed.  « Mom Dad stop behaving like kids. »

 

« If you start to behvae like real kids, we can do that. » YongGuk told her, with an amused face.

 

*

 

Bang YongGuk , friday night

When Moonah got from school, she did her bag meticouslously, folding her clothes neat, and she verified if everything was here.

« He's late. » I said. Moonah looked at me for a millisecond before sighing.

 

« Yeah. » Sujin said. It's been one hour Moonah came for her classes all excited. She took the decision to miss her cram school to get home faster. She was hell excited. Her fish is called «Aussy » like Australia, the country where her dad worked. Moonah loved english and animals. But these days she was crazy about them. Moonah that was all excited that her dad was going to pick her up was now watching TV, with a frown on.

 

Sujin tried to call the guy once again and it went directly to the voice mail. I squeezed her hand. «He must be in the middle of an heavy trafic in Busan. » I tried to be reassuring.

 

The door opened and we all looked at the person entering. Taeyang. « Oh you're all here. »

 

« Yeah. Dad didn't come yet. » Moonah explained, her voice revealing how disappointed she was. 

 

« Oh.»Taeyang simply said. «When are we eating then ? I'm hella hungry ? »

 

Sujin smiled. «My athlet is hungry, huh ? I'll give you something to snack on. » They went to the kitchen, Sujin asking questions to Taeyang about her training.

« Mom Tae' are you eating chips ? Yah I want some too !! »Moonah ran in the kitchen to have some and I shook my head. She still avoided me. I kissed WooJun forehead. At least he was responsive to my love.

 

I heard a knock  and opened the door to Kang Joon, WooJun in my arms. « Hi, please enter, Moonah is ready, I'll call her. »

He nodded and came in awkwardly. His eyes found our wedding photo and he looked for long seconds the picture. « Yeah sorry I'm a bit late. I was with … someone. »

Moonah ran to him and jumped in his arms. « Dad. » Kang Joon had a small smile. « Sorry you've waited for me, right ? You must be hungry let's go to grandma. »

 

Moonah stopped his gesture. «Uncle said I can show you my aquarium in my room first huh ? »

 

Sujin appeared and they greeted in silence. « Hi. » Taeyang looked at him, surprised and bowed a bit.

 

Kang Joon took the stairs dragged by Moonah making Sujin sigh out of relief. I came to her side and as usual, Woojun giggled, happy to have his mother next to him. Sujin kissed him. «Junie ? »

 

« Mama » He yelled. Sujin smiled to him. « You little sneaky baby. »

 

He was full of energy at this hour. Sujin sat on the floor, playing a bit with him. Kang Joon as he got downstairs threw looks to her not so secretly. As she noticed Moonah and KangJoon were here, Sujin slowly stood up. « Be nice to Grandma and enjoy your time there. »

She looked at KangJoon with a serious expression. « Don't drive too fast. And bring her on time on sunday. Take care of Moonah»

 

« Yes, Mom » He said, rolling his eyes.

 

Moonah hugged Taeyang and Woojun. Do I get a goodbye hug like them ? I highly doubted it... I was in the kitchen getting WooJun milk ready when she came to find me. « I'm leaving. » She said, eyes on the floor. I gently ruffled her hair. « Have a good time there okay ? »

 

She shyly nodded and left the house with that man. I looked at the car go away and my heart felt already heavy.Taeyang came to sit with us. « The house feels weird without Unni. »

 

« For sure. » Sujin added.

*

Kim Sujin

I closed the door of Moonah room after feeding her fish and came in my bedroom. YongGuk was cuddling WooJun and I sat on the floor next to them.

« I miss her. » I said to YongGuk. « I hate having to share her with him. » In front of Moonah, I never let my feelings show but I hated when Moonah wasn't around.

 

« She's going back home soon, it's only for the week end. » He reassured me. Out of everyone leaving in the house, he seemed like the most impacted by this weekend with Kang Joon.

I hugged my husband and WooJun clapped in his hands. « Mom is right there, it seems too me you are not sleepy tonight huh ? Going to party all night ? »

We played with our son for a long time. It really amused us, maybe more than Woojun. YongGuk liked to sing him children songs and I loved those moments with him. The sweet lullaby of his dad always made WooJun sleep at some point. YongGuk ended his song and kissed his son forehead. We lied him gently in his baby bed  and left for our room.

« He still have feelings for you. » YongGuk said as I sat on the bed, I turned myself to him. He had a weird smile on. « When he looks at you, I can read regrets in his eyes. »

 

«It's only that I never had someone after him or even before. He hates this idea that I made my life with someone. »  I simply said. I had trouble with this idea. Kang Joon just hated someone took what he considered as his possession.

 

YongGuk nodded. « Does it make you feel something for him ? » He rearranged a strand of hair behind my ear.

 

I blinked. He was expecting a serious answer. « Nothing, he just looks pathetic you know, he's 33 and I'm sure he's far from getting married or having a girlfriend, he never knew what it's like to be part of a family »

YongGuk nodded, apparently satisfied of my answer and we went to bed.

I woke up  before YongGuk and took WooJun out of the room.I  called my mother-in-law to get a favor from her. « Yeah I want to have a date with YongGuk, can you come and take him ? »

 

I waited for her preparing the bag for Woojun and changing him, sure that his grandmother will love bathing him today. I opened the door and put my finger on my mouth.  « YongGuk is asleep ? » She asked me in a whisper after her usual hug. I nodded, the Moonah-Kang Joon problem really is stressing him.  I gave her the bag I prepared  ahead and gave her a cup of coffee.

« Yeah. We'll be getting him tonight, is it okay with you ? » I asked.

« Of course. »

As I kissed goodbye my little one, I smiled. They left and I clapped my hands. Moonah was gone for the weekendTaeyang was gone for all day, coming back only tonight, practising all day long. Woojun was at his grandma.  There was only me and YongGuk. I prepared pancakes for YongGuk and all of sudden, I heard a groan. YongGuk backhugged me making me gasp. He stole a pancake and with his mouth stuffed, asked : «Where is Woojun ? »

« Oh. You scared me. »

« He didn't wake me up ? Is he napping in the living room ? Su' where is my son ? » YongGuk said looking around. I came to hug him.

 

« Your mom came and picked him up. She's babysitting him for the day. » I explained. I dragged him to the table and served him a bowl of pancakes plus his coffee mug.

« And Taeyang ? »

 

I rolled my eyes. «What do you think ? »

 

« She went to training. » He frowned and took a second pancake to eat. I was vexed. « You're stuck with me alone for the entire day. Hide your joy. »

 

I started to do the dishes while YongGuk ate his pancakes. He was still sleepy apparently but got scared when he realized WooJun room was empty.  He ate in silence, drinking his coffee, looking lost in thoughts. He suddenly came to press a peck in the crook of my neck. « I have to wash the dishes. » I protested knowing really well what he was planning to do.

 

He giggled, taking the dish in my hands to drop it gentky in the sink. « You really think it's time for this activity ? »

 

I turned myself to him. He was smircking, he got even closer to me. He kissed me with energy, making my grip on the sponge lessen. It felt back in the sink and I let my husband bring me back to the bed for some well needed quality time together.

*

I rested my head on YongGuk stomach and laughed when it started to growl. «You're hungry. Let's cook something really easy. »

 

« No way, we're going at our restaurant. » YongGuk protested.

 

YongGuk got ready fast and I decided to just put makeup in the car to gain some time. I was applying lipstick when YongGuk groaned. « I hope I still have the right to kiss you after that lipstick application. »

 

I giggled and kissed his cheek. « It's transferproof actually. »

He smiled and lead us to the restaurant. We ate a good meal and were now just outside enjoying the hot summer. «Hey we're not far of that Center , should we go and do some classes ? Bakery ? Wine ? Wood sculpture ? »

 

YongGuk shook his head. « I want to go to the cinema. » We walked there watched a comedy together, laughing at the silly jokes and having a good time together. When we went out of the cinema, I streched myself. « Oh, I'm quite tired. How about iced coffe ? »

 

I turned myself to YongGuk and saw he was on the phone. « Oh Taeyang your mom and I went out, we'll be in town so be ready at 6pm. No I insist 6. At 6, we'll be parked in front of your center to pick you up. Bang TaeYang you better be ready to hop on that car at 6, understood ?»

Taeyang probably whined at this seriouss voice and he smiled. "See you tonight, miss sunshine !"

Then, he stopped the call and made another one. « Yeah, Mom, how are you ? You came and stole my baby this morning ? » They chitchatted for long minutes and when YongGuk ended his call, he was smiling brightly. «Mom said he is the most adorable baby she ever babysit. »

 

I laughed. « And you believe her ? It's her sixth grandchild come on. »

 

He looked vexed. «My sister kids are turbulent. Taeyang was quiet but did a lot of jokes and didn't listen well. »

 

« What about you ? »

 

« She told me she was really busy with my sister and work. I needed a lot of attention apparently. » I hided a laugh at this description, YongGuk saw that and groaned. « Why did you laugh ? »

 

«It didn't change. You still need attention and love. »

 

My husband cleared his throat. «Maybe I do. » I kissed his cheek and hushed him closer to me. «What about biking on Hangang River and then pick our son ? »

 

He nodded and soon we were doing this cliche biking in Hangang Park and we loved it. It was a really hot day and it felt nice to get some fresh air by biking. « YongGuk let's take a photo , huh ? »

 

« Only if you kiss my cheek on the photo. » He answered quickly. I gasped. Sometimes having a lawyer husband had drawbacks. He loved to negociate a bit too much. I nodded and started to kiss his cheek. Then just bit his ear playfully. We had gorgeous photos of us, laughing together.  This date felt like a much needed activity for us, being only together, thing that we didn't really do after WooJun was born. YongGuk loved to spend all his free time with his son and even got in trouble at work for that, leaving early in the afternoon or taking his day. He was working part time and got a few days at work in the week, making him able to take care of WooJun as much as I do. Maybe even more.

 

The night started to fall on the city and YongGuk and I dropped the bike we borrowed for the hour. As we took the car to drive back home, YongGuk looked happy. I knew that Kang Joon intruding our family life bothered him. That's the least I can do so he'd forget a bit about that. I looked at our photos and smiled.  « You're really handsome in casual clothes. I tend to forget about that. »

 

He scoffed. « At home I'm always decontracted. »

 

« It's lounge clothes, I'm talking you about the boyfriend look. Don't you think I didn't see women staring at you today. » I added, faking to be jealous.

 

« Who's telling me that ? The bike guy almost asked for your number. »

 

I laughed ; he was making things up. « He was barely older than Moonah and Taeyang. Come on. »

 

YongGuk looked at me. « Since we met you never aged. And you're thirty three years old.»

 

« You either. You only became ier. And tan. » I counter attacked. YongGuk laughed.

 

« You and your compliments. I never got used of this, it still feel nice to hear. Kim Sujin, you're my little sunshine. I never thought I'd be more happy than when we started dating and you prove me wrong everyday. »

 

« Urgh, corny alert. » Yongguk rested his large hand on my tigh and it lightly. « Yeah, you know I am. Do you think WooJun miss us ? »

 

«A whole day without his parents ? Of sure he did. » I said. All of sudden, I got a call. « Oh Moonah, how are you ? » With an enthousiatic voice, she told me about having a boat ride with her dad and going to a national museum. She looked like she had a lot of fun today. « Okay, enjoy well your weekend okay. »

YongGuk looked at me with curious eyes and I handed him the phone, he pushed it back with fervor. I greeted her goodbye and then asked him for explications. « Come on she doesn't want to talk to me. »

 

« Oh YongGuk. She needs time. That doesn't mean she doesn't like you.»

 

YongGuk sighed loudly. « I don't want to talk about it. I know you feel guilty about this and you shouldn't have. You tried your best to cheer me up today and that's already a lot. »

I did a dramatic sigh. « Gosh thanks you noticed. It was a nightmare to put a smile on my face today. » YongGuk laughed at my sneaky remark. I pinched his cheek. « I love going on dates with you, okay ? »

He nodded and soon we were in front of his parents house. His dad came to greet us with his grandson walking around. « Hey who's coming ? »

WooJun was now giggling at the view on his dad. YongGuk hugged him and showered him with kisses. « Huh we didn't see each other this morning. Cruella sent you away before I had the chance to kiss you. »  Our son was laughing out loud. « Dad. »

We didn't stay long having to go and pick Taeyang from her practice. I saw her go out and greet goodbye to her friend. She was walking with difficulty. « Oh gosh it's killing me. » She said getting in the car.

 

YongGuk groaned. « You should go easier on your body. You're overworking yourself. »

 

She laughed. « A good night of sleep and I'm good to go. Tomorrow I don't have any practice tho. I'm doing homework at home. And maybe streching ? »

 

Her father slowly nodded. « Alright. That's good you know when to stop. »

 

*

 

Bang YongGuk, on sunday

I was in bed, looking at Sujin sleep, Woojun in her arms. He must had woke up in the night and she came to comfort him. They looked adorable. I heard the door ring and went downstairs to open the door. It was really early. I opened the door and widened my eyes at the view, Moonah was standing there a sad expression on, her dad behing her keeping a distince between them.

 

« Moonah ? »

 

 

 

 

TO BE CONTINUED