Yoongi's Backstory

Amnesia

They say the best way to make a man follow you is to alternate stick from carrot.

 

I disagree.

 

It's much easier to break them with a stick and then put them back together later.

 

It's kind of funny, actually. I, Min Yoongi, one who has never been hit in his life, is notorious for being one of the most dangerous in the industry.

 

"Don't you think he's had enough?" Hoseok grabs my hand and stops me from hurting the man again.

 

"No. I don't, actually."

 

"Well, agree to disagree. Let him go." Hoseok orders the men.

 

"Remember your place." I hiss. "I'm not above punishing you too."

 

"I know. You've done it before."

 

I've always been very open about my hatred for Hoseok. I'm a firm believer that born leaders birth born leaders, and that power should be held in a monarch style.

 

Instead, this useless orphan is my second in command.

 

"I heard you've been promoted to the new project." Hoseok said. "Congrats."

 

"If you can call it a promotion. I'm babysitting a child for less pay and more hours."

 

"Your father is letting you lead a project where someone's life is on the line. Shouldn't you be thankful?"

 

"Absolutely not. I'd rather take my promotion in the form of a paycheck."

 

"Whatever you say Yoongi."

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

"Where the hell is she?" I growl, looking at the clock. "Will one of you find her?" I hiss at one of the guards when the door opens.

 

"You're five minutes late-" I spin to look at the door, but instead I see Hoseok.

 

"What are you doing here?"

 

"I was placed on the project. I'll be her trainer."

 

"You volunteered, didn't you."

 

"I like to believe that by training her, I may be able to save her life someday. That's so much more valuable than a paycheck."

 

"I had no idea you were such a sap."

 

"I had no idea you were so cold hearted, Suga."

 

I groan at the mention of my codename. Nicknamed for my fair skin, I was always called Sugar over radio so if we were intercepted, it couldn't be traced back to me.

 

I hate it.

 

"Sugar is a stupid name." A voice comments from the door.

 

"It's Suga, actually." I turn to her. "You're six minutes late."

 

"Wow, you must be fun at parties." She rolls her eyes. "You know what, I'm sorry. Shoot me. Six minutes- I guess I'm dead now."

 

"I don't like your attitude." I step closer. "Do you want to get hit?"

 

"Ooh, ." She rolls her eyes at me. "You're clearly the with all the power that everyone hates. Right Sugar?"

 

"Excuse me?"

 

Hoseok stiffles a laugh behind me, knowing that between her challenging my authority and her calling me Sugar I am fuming with rage.

 

"Actually, he goes by Yoongi in person."

 

"Agent Min-"

 

"Look, Yoongi. I've seen your type a million times before. I haven't had a steady home in six years. I've moved fifteen times. I'll take a wild guess. Your dad is the head of the investigation bureau in Korea, and you think because your daddy is in charge you're entitled to everything and anything you want. You probably have anger issues, and since your dad was so busy with work, you were probably raised by some employee. Your parents are divorced, as your father's missing presence slowly ripped a hole in the family. You're jealous of people who are happier than you and think that with enough respect you'll be happy." She steps closer. "Let me let you in on a secret. These men? They don't respect you at all. They fear you. There is a world between the two."

 

"Who the hell do you think you are?"

 

"Only your worst nightmare, Suga." She turns away. "I'm leaving. Don't worry about me not having enough practice hours- if I claim hardship after moving they'll be fine with it."

 

"You can't leave." I grab her wrist. "You're my responsibility, Y/N."

 

"Sir, you shouldn't grab her so tightly-" a guard speaks up and I narrow my eyes.

 

"I will punish you, Garrett."

 

"Punish? You actually hit your subordinates?" The emotions in Y/N's face changes. "That's so, crazy ed up." She throws me to the ground with ease, as I'm not prepared for an attack.

 

"Woah, woah, woah. Yoongi may be an , but he doesn't deserve this." Hoseok stops her from attacking again.

 

"And why is it okay for him to assault others?"

 

"It isn't. He can't help it. Like you said, he had a-"

 

"There's laws that say he can't do that, you know. You can stop him if you really wanted to. If all of you filed reports... even if he is the chairman's son, he'd be dealt with. But this... dictatorship he has over you... it's not right."

 

I take a glance at Youngi on the floor. "Maybe it isn't, but he's our boss and our head of our team. We need him. Y/N, there's this really nice outdoors section. I haven't introduced myself yet, but my name Is Hoseok, Codename J-Hope. I think the two of you need some time apart, and we should practice in the garden. I'd like you to show me what you're capable of."

 

"Whatever. As long as he stays far away from me."

 

"He'll stay inside. Won't you, Yoongi?" He looks at me.

 

"Get her out of my sight."

 

"Sorry if I hurt your feelings, Sugar." She calls teasingly before leaving.

 

I hate her.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

She's early to the next practice, probably due to Hoseok's insistence that we remain civil.

 

"Thank you for coming." I say, trying to be nice.

 

She doesn't respond, and I grab her shoulder to make her face me.

 

Her face doesn't change as she points out she has earbuds in and moves to sit on the floor against the wall.

 

Okaaaay?

 

"Since you're here, you should start with some stretching." I tell her.

 

She looks at me blandly before turning up her volume so I can hear her music through her earbuds.

 

My eyes widen. She's listening to Sugar free.

 

I'm going to strangle her.

 

She smiles when she sees my face change, and it widens as the door behind me opens.

 

"Morning, Hobi!" She smiles, immediately taking her earphones out and getting up to say hello.

 

Hobi? She's nicknamed him already. Since when are they so close?

 

"Good morning Y/N. Ready for a jog?"

 

"Always." She smiled.

 

Why was she so pretty? And why the hell did she hate me?

 

~~~~~~

 

People start leaving about half an hour after Y/N does, packing up their reports and equipment.

 

Hoseok starts to leave, but I grab his wrist. "I want to talk to you."

 

"Uh, sure. Is it about the curriculum I'm teaching?"

 

"Well..." my eyes go to the door, where it shuts as the last person leaves. "It's about Y/N."

 

"Sure, what is it?"

 

"Um, it's just that you two are awfully close. And, uh, you seem to get along well-"

 

"And you want to too. I understand."

 

"It's just... how do you get along with her?"

 

"Well, if you're nice that may help. I can give you a hand, but it'll be hard to change her mind. I can already tell she's quite stubborn, and she's already made her mind up about you."

 

"So what can I do?"

 

"Whatever you can."

 

~~~~~~~~~

 

I walk Y/N to my car, about to drive her home. We had just left the principal's office, having a very uncomfortable discussion with Kim Seokjin.

 

At least he agreed to not press charges against Y/N's family. They're pressed for money as it is.

 

We get in, and she speaks for the first time in half an hour.

 

"Why did you defend me in there?" She asks softly.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"When the principal asked what you thought would be the safest legal action. You said that I shouldn't be held liable for anything. I would've thought you'd say the government will punish me."

 

"You didn't do anything wrong. You did everything we've instructed-"

 

"That's not the point. You're supposed to hate me! I'm supposed to hate you! Why are you so nice to me?"

 

"You're supposed to- does that mean you don't?" I lean in close and she flushes.

 

"Yoongi, what are you doing???" Her breath hitches.

 

"You need to put your seatbelt on, stupid. You can't have lived so long and then die in a stupid car crash." I smile, putting it on for her. "What did you think was happening?"

 

"Shut up and drive." She turns even redder and slinks into her seat.

 

"Hmm." I smile, putting my own on and pulling out of the parking lot.

 

I can't help but smile as I drive us the whole way to her house. She doesn't speak.

 

We arrive, and she grabs her purse. "Thanks, Agent Min." She mumbles before quickly leaving.

 

She called me, just once, the name I wanted to hear. But it sounded empty to me. An unfamiliar, government labeled title.

 

And all of the sudden, I missed her rude attitude calling me Sugar. Hell, even Yoongi was better than Agent Min.

 

I hope it doesn't become a habit.

 

~~~~~~~~

 

She's on time for the next practice, and I know it's going to become a habit soon enough.

 

"Good morning, Y/N. You should probably stretch before Hoseok starts teaching you." I say as she comes in.

 

"Morning, Yoongi. I actually jogged here from home, so I'm all ready to go." She says, starting to walk past me but stopping before she can leave.

 

"Um, but if you want to start now, we can do some sparring practice."

 

Civil.

 

We can do this. Give and receive.

 

She's a dangerous person to love. I know this. I can lose her at any moment.

 

But I feel myself begin to fall all the same.