Taehyung's Backstory

Amnesia

I always loved her. From the day Namjoon brought her to the day she left, I knew she was the one from me. I remember sitting at a meeting at the mature age of 9 as she came in. She seemed somewhat shy, but I found that cute.

 

"This is Y/N. My father just initiated her. She will be training with us in order to become full-fledged agents. Introduce yourselves by name and then code name."

 

"Lee Chaelin. CL."

 

"Kwon Ji Yong. GD."

 

"Lee Jihoon. Woozi."

 

"Jung Ji Hoon. Rain."

 

"Kim Taehyung. V."

 

"And that's my team." He turns to her. "We all sleep together in bunker D- if you ever want to come sleepover, that's okay. Actually, it'd be preferred if you did start spending regular hours with us."

 

"I understand." She nods.

 

"Y/N is a personal friend of mine. Please treat her well." He looks at us all. "She is now like another family member for us all. I hope you'll all help me make her feel welcome."

 

"Yes, Namjoon."

 

"Another thing, we all go by code names here. So please address everyone as such."

 

"Ah, okay. What about you? You never told me your name. And I don't know mine yet."

 

"Namjoon is fine. I don't have one. And neither do you. You'll probably get nicknamed shortly with one."

 

"Why don't you?"

 

"I just don't."

 

"Okay. Well, I'll make you one then."

 

I smile at her nerve. I like that.

 

And surprisingly, so does Namjoon.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

"V, I need to talk to you." There's a quiet knock on my door so as to not alert anyone else on the floor.

 

"Y/N, what are you doing here at this time of night?"

 

In this memory we're a couple of years older. She began living with us full time, with Namjoon's father covering up she dropped out of school by sending fake report cards and saying she was at boarding school.

 

"There's so much going on and I just-" she shakes her head, seeming ready to cry. "I can't talk to CL, because she'll tell everyone and I just need someone to lean on."

 

"Come in. Tell me everything." I look at her worriedly, and close the door.

 

"Okay. It started with Namjoon calling me out of the meeting earlier. Remember?"

 

"That's right. Neither of you came back. What happened?"

 

"We went to the hospital. You know how his father contracted that disease on his last field mission?"

 

"Yes?"

 

"His condition worsened, and..." she breaks into tears. "We were right there. He just... stopped breathing. They pushed us out of the room and Namjoon was yelling, and I was trying to calm him down but it didn't work. Some guards got us and brought us here, and we just..."

 

"Were they able to do anything?"

 

"No." She shakes her head, more tears falling as I hug her.

 

"It's okay. I understand you and Namjoon are close, but-"

 

"That's not it." She sniffles and continues. "After we got back, Namjoon and I broke the lock to the roof and sat there and just... cried and talked for hours. And he.. well, he confessed some things to me."

 

"Like what?"

 

"His father had instructed him to take over the organization, and he has full intentions of doing so. He also... well, he told me he likes me."

 

My heart hurts. "Do you like him?"

 

"I think so, but I just... god, his father just died and we're without a leader and we're not done training yet and-"

 

I hug her tightly, realizing this might be my last chance. They could get together tomorrow, and I'd never be able to do this again. I dare not cross Namjoon.

 

"Hey. Don't stress about that right now. It's just you and me. And we'll make it through this together."

 

"V, you're so special to me. You're my best friend."

 

Ouch.

 

~~~~~~~~~~

 

I watched them smile and laugh happily for close to three years. They were "in love" as Woozi put it.

 

Every day I smiled through it. I smiled through my pain as I knew the two of them- my two best friends- were happy.

 

He had taken over, and promoted Y/N to second in command. We all knew it wasn't because they were dating, however. From day one, she was more capable than any of us. We were all struggling to keep up over anything else. She'd make a great leader when she someday married him.

 

That was what we all thought.

 

"V, please, open up." I'm in the middle of push-ups when I hear her knock at my door.

 

"What is it?" I open it quickly, and see she's been crying like crazy.

 

"It's Namjoon!"

 

"Is he okay?"

 

"He's better than okay! He cheated on me!"

 

"Oh, Y/N." I pull her into a hug. "If you were mine, I never would've let you go."

 

"I need your help."

 

"I'll do anything, Y/N. What are best friends for?"

 

"I need to get out. Escape the A.S.C. I can't do this anymore. Not like this. Not knowing the person I work so closely with has no thought of how I feel."

 

"Y/N-"

 

"V, please!"

 

"If you leave, we can't ever see each other again. You know this, don't you?"

 

"I know. And it breaks my heart, but I don't see any other option."

 

"Okay. Here's what we'll do."

 

~~~~~~~~

 

"Be safe, Y/N." I whisper as I drop her off in an alley.

 

"V, no, Taehyung, I'm eternally thankful for your help."

 

"You can make it home from here, right?"

 

"It's just a twenty minute run. That's nothing."

 

"Bye Y/N. I love you so, so damn much. And so much more than a friend."

 

"V, what do you mean?"

 

"Don't worry about that. You'll forget about it in five minutes anyways."

 

I hear some shouts behind me as the search parties grow closer.

 

"You need to go." I pull her into a brief kiss before giving her a push to get her started. "Be safe!"

 

"Tae, I-"

 

"Get out of here, loser!" I call, making her laugh.

 

"I'm going!"

 

She disappears from sight and I turn around to reunite with the search party. Claim I know nothing, and then try and buy her what time I can.

 

Here we go.