Ivory

Amnesia

"Hey guys, what are you up to?"

"Oh, just chilling. Whatever." I shrug.

"Rain was just out getting snacks for tonight, so I came to confirm orders." He looks down. At his pen and paper and back at us. "Y/N, I'm assuming you want skittles?"

"Nah man, I'm covered." I lift my bag. "My main Woozi got them for me."

"Please don't call him/me that."

"I'm assuming that if I offered you chips though, you wouldn't refuse?"

"Do I look like an animal? Of course I wouldn't refuse!"

"That's my girl." He smiles, and then looks around at Woozi and Taehyung. "The usuals?"

"Yeah, I want my regular-"

"Maltesers? Really man? Its supposed to be a party, not a cocktail-" I fall silent as I catch them staring at me, and realize I had spoken before he could.

"Welcome back, Ivory." Woozi gives me a big hug.

"Why is everyone calling me that?"

"We all have codenames. You had this wood bracelet that you wore everyday... Hence the nickname."

"My name isn't actually Woozi."

"I just thought your parents hated you." I shrug.

"That's rude as hell."

"Well, they do."

"Namjoon!"

"Sorry, sorry." He smiles and shrugs. "There's still quite some time before the party... Why don't you show Y/N the gym?"

"Oh hell yes. Can we actually?" I look at them. "I'm getting kind of claustrophobic with the walls and everything."

"Yeah, I guess. Follow me. We'll get you a jumpsuit when we get down there." Tae says.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've been training for over an hour, making my muscles scream out of protest but my heart race from excitement. We've done harness-free rock climbing, running, obstacle courses, everything you can think of.

Currently, we're practicing stealth in a pitch black room. There are both audio and movement sensors, and this room is filled with a bunch of random objects to try and make it harder for us.

"If you're nervous, don't worry. I'll save you from messing up." Tae whispers affectionately in my ear.

"I don't need your help." I hiss back.

Things are going well, as we're close to halfway through the room. Even better, Namjoon promised to treat us all to dinner if we made it undetected.

Suddenly, there's a soft bump ahead of me.

"!" I feel the air change in this split second- something is about to hit the ground. Keeping low, hoping to remain hidden from the sensors (I was mainly hoping there was a box or something that would cover me) I lunge forward and grab what feels to be a porcelain vase before it can hit the ground and shatter.

I heavily exhale in relief as no alarm sounds and we all remain in the clear.

"Thank you so much, Y/N." CL whispers to me.

"Forget about it." I brush it off and continue to move forward.

However, in still thinking about that vase, I am uncareful. I take in a sharp breath as I had just recklessly stepped into a hole and began falling forwards. The floor must be missing here, leading to god knows how deep of a drop.

"I told you I'd save you." A comforting voice whispers in my ear as his arm wraps tightly around my waist. He stops my fall, hugging me tightly.

"Tae... what're you-"

"He can't see or hear us right now. And I wanted to tell you that I know you're mad that I lied to you. I was just scared you would run away if I told you the truth. That's all. I promise, no matter what you think, you can trust me. Okay?"

"Thank you. I'll keep that in mind." I mumble and he lets go of me.

"Okay, come on. We're almost there."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, I'm in Namjoon's room while I wait for him to finish getting ready.

"Are you ready?" He rubs my back comfortingly. 
 
"It's a lot of people at once."
 
"Don't worry. I'll be by your side as much as I can. And if you're ever afraid, you can always find V or CL."
 
"Okay." I nod, looking down at myself. 
 
"You look great. Okay?" He says softly. "Tonight is all about you and having fun."
 
"I'm just still trying to adjust myself to all this."
 
"You have before, and you will again."
 
"Okay." I wipe hands nervously on my shirt. "Can we go?"
 
"One last thing." He reaches into his bedside table, pulling out a small bracelet.
 
~~~~~~~~~
 
"Y/N, can I talk with you in the hall?"
 
"Huh? Uh, sure."
 
"Um, okay. So it's our one year anniversary."
 
"Yes." I nod, not entirely understanding where he's taking this.
 
"Okay. So, um, I know we said no gifts, but.." he pulls out a box.
 
"Namjoon." I scold, but it's soft. "I didn't get you anything."
 
"The only gift I want is for you to never take it off." He opens it, revealing a wooden bracelet.
 
"Namjoon... it's beautiful."
 
"Can I put it on you?"
 
"Please." I extend my hand to him.
 
"Y/N." He looks me in the eyes lovingly.
 
~~~~~~~
 
"Y/N!"
 
"Huh?" I jerk out of my daze. "What's happening?"
 
"You zoned out. Everything okay?"
 
"Um, well, I'm not really sure. I think I just remembered some things."
 
His face falls.
 
"Like?"
 
"This was an anniversary gift, right?'
 
His face softens. "Yeah, it was." He seems slightly relieved. "So you remember we were dating, then?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Okay. I just.. I didn't want to weird you out with telling you that."
 
"It's not weird, Namjoon. You were someone who meant the world to me. I know that."
 
He seems hurt at my words. "I know, Y/N. I know." He looks down. "We should go."
 
"Okay." I wrap my arm around his and smile supportingly at him.
 
We go through the halls, and enter the party room. It's packed. There's loud music and people singing, dancing, and drinking. 
 
"Let’s go namjadeureun wiro
Yeojadeureun get low
Danggyeora bang bang bang
Let the bass drum go!"
 
"Let's find the squad." Namjoon has to yell so I hear him. "They're probably by the bar games."
 
We find them playing beer pong, Taehyung dominating GD.
 
"Hey guys! We were wondering what was taking so long!" Rain smiles.
 
"You know how ladies take so long to get ready." Namjoon says with a shrug.
 
"Oh shut up. I was waiting for you." I roll my eyes.
 
"Y/N, wanna play a game? The party's only just begun and I'm worried I'm going to be too smashed if Taehyung keeps me here." GD gives me a begging look.
 
"I got you fam. Go get some water."
 
"Thanks Y/N."
 
"I didn't think you were a drinker, Y/N." Taehyung smiles.
 
"I'm not." I reply. "But I do believe that our squad looks after each other."
 
Namjoon smiles from behind Tae, giving me a wink.
 
"Game on then, Ivory."
 
~~~~~~~~
 
Three games later, we're all tipsy. Even worse, it's my first time and everyone else has years of experience.
 
Namjoon and I sit together on the couch, his arm around my shoulders. The party has kicked off, where some couples have hooked up, broken up, and gotten back together.
 
"Y/N?"
 
"Mmm?" I look at him.
 
"I missed you a lot when you were gone."
 
"I know this is really weird and something I shouldn't be saying, but I'm happy to be here. My agent.. he made it sound like this was a bad place to be." I rest my head on his chest.
 
"But I like everyone. I feel safe with you."
 
"Y/N... how do you feel about me?"
 
"Hmm?" I look at him once more.
 
And then his lips meet mine, entrapping me in his kiss.
 
~~~~~~~~
 
Taehyung is mad as he walks me back to the room. We had helped Namjoon to bed, and he was helping me to my own private room from before I began living with CL.
 
He leads me to the room, opens the door, and steps inside.
 
"What are you doing?" I ask him.
 
"Are you dating him again?"
 
"What?"
 
"Y/N! Tell me, damn it!" His sudden explosion catches me off guard.
 
He greets my silence with a heavy sigh. "Y/N, Namjoon wanted to tell you himself what happened. But everyone knows that as our boss, he's too busy. And he'll probably just push it off until you forget."
 
He turns and faces me. "But I'll tell you everything. From the day you came to the day you left. Why you started dating him. Why you stayed with him. And why you left him- and all of us."
 
"And why should I trust you?"
 
"Because I was your best friend. I've always been by your side, even when Namjoon isn't. I've taken bullets for you before." He lift up his sleeve and points to a scar, which makes my head hurt. It's too familiar.
 
~~~~~~~
 
"That was foolish. I could've taken them, V." I sigh as I wrap his arm with bandages in an attempt to heal him.
 
"I didn't want to risk them hurting you."
 
"I'd have lived."
 
"I know. You're very strong. But I'd rather it be me over you."
 
~~~~~~~~
 
I hold my head and Taehyung eases me onto the bed. His anger has faded, replaced with concern. "Maybe now's not the time. You're already in hangover territory. I'll let you sleep, okay?"
 
"Yeah. Thanks." I mumble as he helps tuck me in.
 
"Call me if you need anything. I know you make assumptions about your pain, but please be smart. I love you."
 
"I love you too." It falls out of my mouth before I can stop it, shocking me.
 
He smiles. "Even if you refuse to admit it, somewhere, deep down, I still matter."
 
He shuts the door, and I sigh. 
 
It's painfully true. He does matter to me.
 
I just still can't believe he's not who I thought.
 
~~~~~~~
 
"The call was made through an app with no phone number. The Wi-Fi signal traced us to a 90 year-old retired man in Florida. They probably hacked the system, Yoongi." A worker reports and I sigh. 
 
"Fine. Do a background check to be safe, but I don't expect much."
 
They leave, and I yawn. It's been close to two days since I last slept.
 
"Park Jimin, can you get me another glass of coffee?"
 
Silence.
 
"Jimin?" I turn and look, and he's gone. "Jimin!"
 
~~~~~~~~~
 
I know assistants aren't supposed to run off. But I needed a break from all the chaos at home. Mom was working extra hard to make money to treat all the agents to food and drink, and Mark was still trying to drag me to school everyday. 
 
Everyone thought she was sick, leaving only Mark, myself, Jin and Jungkook the wiser.
 
I sigh and look down at the papers in my hand.
 
I'd been taught in therapy that a good way to figure out your thoughts was to write it down, and then take a step back like you're someone else. Fix the problem that way, and then step back into your own shoes and do as you've decided.
 
I stare at the confused scribble on the paper.
 
I love her.
 
She's been kidnapped.
 
Could possibly die.
 
Could reject me.
 
Could tear this family apart.
 
Could tear me apart.
 
Could not work out.
 
It could hurt us.
 
Or it could be the best decision I ever made.
 
"Unless I'm mistaken, you should be at home right now." Someone sits next to me on the park bench.
 
"Mr. Kim? What are you doing here?"
 
"Same as you. It's a beautiful day to take a walk and clear your thoughts." Jin runs his fingers through his hair. "And god knows we both have a lot to think about."
 
"Has Yoongi been keeping you updated on the investigation?" I ask him.
 
"Not really. Hoseok calls me more than anyone else does. He's a nice guy."
 
"Uh, sir? Speaking of nice guys, I have a question."
 
"Okay." He looks at me curiously.
 
"I like this girl. I have for a while now. But I just can't find the courage to confess... and with everything going on right now at home I don't think it will work out. But I can't get her out of my head."
 
"Jimin, as a man who's had more girlfriends than you can count, women are inexplicably difficult to understand. Every single one has a catch- and if she's perfect, then it's you who's the problem. In this case, it is you- that being is that you move constantly and your sister is currently missing. Look, I'm single for a reason. Good girls are hard to find, and even harder to keep. If you're the problematic one out of the two of you, then go for it. Be the controller of your own destiny. Maybe you can fix your issues."
 
"You're surprisingly serious about this." I watch him curiously.
 
"Believe it or not, teachers have lives too. And in certain cases, these lives are filled with love troubles."
 
"How long have you been dating?"
 
"Let's see... I'm twenty three. So, I guess seven years. I stopped searching recently."
 
"Why? Gave up?"
 
"No, I've found someone who means the world to me. Mon raison d'être, if you will. But I'm the problem. And I can't fix it  But she's different from every other woman I've ever been with. She's the one for me, I know it. No one will ever be able to replace her, so I stopped trying."
 
"So what's your problem then?" I ask curiously. I understand why Y/N likes Jin so much- he's really easy to talk to.
 
"Age." He sighs.
 
"Is she twelve?" My jaw drops.
 
"No, no, no. She's eighteen. Well, almost. It's just wrong for someone my age to be dating someone I teach."
 
"She's in our class? Spill it Seokjin!"
 
"And get fired for flirting with a student? I think not." He shakes his head. "Must I tell you the same thing I told my sister? When calling me by name, I only will answer to Jin."
 
"Fair enough." I sigh.
 
"I wonder what she's doing right now. If she's eating. If she's safe. If she's happy. If she's having fun."
 
"Who, your girlfriend?"
 
"Y/N." Jin looks into the river where some children are playing.
 
"Yeah, me too." I sigh. "No one knows anything about where she is other than that conversation with Taehyung."
 
"I hope they find her." Jin whispers.
 
"I do too. More than anything."
 
We're both silent for a few moments.
 
"Come on, kid, I'll walk you home." Jin says, standing.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Jin rings the doorbell, and Y/N's mom opens the door.
 
"Oh, Mr. Kim." She smiles at him before giving me a hard look.
 
"Hello Ms. L/N. I just found Jimin at the park and I escorted him home."
 
"Was he misbehaving?" She gives me a glare.
 
"Not at all. he's a good boy."
 
"That's good to hear-"
 
"Jin! Hey." Hoseok suddenly comes to the door, greeting him with a smile.
 
"Hoseok. It's nice to see you."
 
"Mmm, I'd like to say the same but I dare not risk Yoongi overhearing me. He's bitter enough." He says but it's with a friendly smile.
 
"I can appreciate that. I should get going. Please keep up the excellent work."
 
"Will do." He nods.
 
"I'll be on my way then." Jin nods farewell to my mother and I before beginning to leave.
 
"Ah, wait! Before you go, the police found this." Hoseok pulls something out of his pocket. "It's addressed to you. It was hidden in her bedroom- we found it when we were conducting a secondary search for more evidence. We haven't opened it, despite Yoongi wanting to very badly."
 
"What is it? If it's Y/N, then as her family, I should be allowed to look at it-" I step forward to take the envelope.
 
"No, I know your sister well. If it's adressed to Jin, she doesn't want anyone else to see it." Hoseok shakes his head.
 
"What is it?" Jin sounds hesitant for an answer.
 
"Why don't you open it and find out?" Hoseok asked.