B.T.O.

Amnesia

Falling into the routine of things is easier than I expect.

We wake up, train, eat breakfast, do some paperwork, eat lunch, train, eat dinner, party, then sleep.

I remember this, too.

It's actually odd when Sunday comes and we don't have to train. I still do, only out of my own want to succeed.

It's not the early afternoon of our day off, too early to start drinking and too late to go spend the day outside the compound walls.

I think Namjoon is afraid I will leave if we go outside too.

But I'm not sure I would. I don't want to, other than to see my family.

Namjoon and CL fight over how to set up the karaoke machine while the rest of us sit on the couch and socialize. When Rain gets bored, he calls G.D. to the air hockey table for a game while we boo them from our comfy spot.

"Namjoon, you god of destruction, you're going to break the machine like that! The blue cord has to go in the blue slot!"

"But I put the green cord in the green slot and you said it was wrong!"

"Because that wasn't a cord for the karaoke machine!"

"Namjoonie, dearest, don't break it or you're buying me a new system for my birthday. PLUS whatever else you've planned." He says in a girly tone.

"I said that, didn't I? It sounds very familiar."

"Bingo. Last time we all did karaoke together we were just like this."

I wince as I have a slight headache growing.

"You okay?" Woozi takes my hand, but lets go when he hears Namjoon's growl.

"It's a side effect of her amnesia. Whenever she starts thinking about her past, this happens." He explains.

"You know an awful lot about her condition, V." He comments.

"I was her best friend. That's my job. Besides, we all knew from the autopsy papers we stole that it was drug-induced."

"What?" I mumble through the now migraine. "Not even the doctors knew that."

"They wouldn't have. You took Bangtanorphax."

"What?"

"We usually just call it B.T.O." the room falls silent. "The A.S.C. created it privately back in 2004 and distributed it across all the employees."

"It was for emergency use only. B.T.O. attacks brain cells for only 10 minutes in the memory lobe of the brain, causing just enough damage for people to forget forget everything but their vitals. After that. The body has dissolved the drug off enough that it's harmless."

"We were worried about one of us being taken hostage by another organization and leaking information."

"We... we really didn't expect it to be used in any other way-"

He's cut off by the sound of the karaoke machine turning on.

"We shouldn't talk about this now. We should be happy she's home, not wallowing over past mistakes."

"Right. Who's first?"

"You're standing. You go."

"This always happens." He groaned. "I never know which song to choose."

"Ooh, do Rap God!"

This emits some giggles.

"What?"

"Do it, Namjoonie."

"It's one of your favourites he used to do- he doesn't sing."

"Huh? But-" I look at him curiously. I remember him singing that same song I heard Jungkook singing.

He looks at me curiously before shaking his head. "I don't sing."

But I know that was his voice. How curious. I should ask him later.

The music starts, and I feel myself fade to another thought.

~~~~~~~~~~

The music starts to pick up and gets into the faster section of the rap, making us all cheer.

"Hit those rhymes!"

"Yessssss queen!"

"OOOOH he's a beast! You go rap beast!"

"Rap Monster!" I grab Woozi's leg. "Can that please be his code name."

Namjoon narrows his eyes as he looks at me and stops rapping. "Ivory, no."

V starts laughing so hard he begins coughing, and CL tries to help him get back to normal.

"Rap Monster, huh? It kinda suits his hair." GD inspects him up and down.

"I'm open to shortening it to Rap Mon." I tell him with a smile and he shakes his head in exasperation.

"Why do I love you?"

"Because no one else can walk all over you like I can." I beam at him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Rap Monster..." I mumbled, engrossed my thoughts.

But I guess people heard me, because CL on my right starts shrieking and Taehyung on my left doubles over in laughter.

"What?" He puts the mic down to look at us curiously.

"She remembers-" Taehyung starts coughing from laughing so hard.

"She remembered your code name."

"Not my code name."

"I don't know, I remember calling you that on the field a couple times before."

"I thought we had all agreed to let that part of our lives die." He groaned.

"But Y/N didn't! And now, she's bringing things back. I wonder what else she'll remember."

Namjoon sighs and looks at the clock. "I have some paper work to do. Someone else go."

"That was very sudden." I mumbled. "It sounded like an excuse to get away from me."

Taehyung and CL suddenly fall silent, while GD and Rain decide to do a duet.

It becomes very clear that they both know exactly what happened to me. Taehyung said he loved me. And I guess now I should put it to the test.

~~~~~~~~

"Namjoonie?"

"Oh, Y/N. Come in." He calls, and I open the door. "Why aren't you with the squad?"

"I wanted to talk to you."

"I'm sorry, Y/N, I'm actually busy-"

"This won't take long. I promise."

He sighs, clearly contemplating whether or not he should kick me out. "Okay." He finally decides. "What is it?"

"I need a favour."

"What exactly do you want from me, Y/N?"

"I want to go home and see my family."

His face falls. "Y/N-"

"I'm not running away again." I take his hand. "I swear, Namjoonie. I just want to say a proper goodbye and calm them all down. I'm sure the government is searching for me too. I promise I'll come back."

"..."

"I can bring Taehyung if you'd feel better." I continued trying to sway him. "Namjoonie, you and I were- are- so close. I know you can tell I'm not lying."

"I know you're telling the truth now. But I'm worried seeing them will change your mind again." He leans in close, so we're practically touching noses.

"Trust me. I trust you-" I begin to whisper to him.

"Sir!" The door flies open, catching Namjoon and I off guard as we jump away from each other.

"Didn't I specifically instruct you to knock before coming into my office?!?!"

"Sir! We found an intruder outside our base!"

"What?"

"He's currently subdued in the atrium. V is currently interrogating him."

"Come." He says quickly to me, and we leave in a hurry.

The entire team is standing in a circle and watching.

"He's not saying anything about where he's from." Rain sighs. "Whoever sent him, he's good. He won't give up so easily."

There's a noise of a slap, and a grunt.

"I repeat myself. Who sent you?"

"No one!"

Hearing his voice makes my heart stop. He's here. He's confused. He doesn't understand.

I suddenly push through my squad, desperate to get to the front.

"V! Stop it!" I yell.

"Y/N?" He looks at me just in time for me to shove him away from Jungkook. He's bloody and bruised, but smiles at me.

"Y/N! You're okay!"

"Shut up about me! What the hell are you doing here?" I ask him as I begin removing the restraints.

Guards step forward to stop me. "We were given orders by Woozi to keep him here until we have answers."

"You have new orders from me. Remove his restraints." I hiss at them.

"Woozi said-"

"Have you forgotten your place?" I ask. "If I'm not mistaken, Second in command has a lot more power than an elite squad member."

My squad looks to Namjoon in disbelief. But he just smiles and shrugs. "That's my girl." He grins and leaves.

I step back as the guards hesitantly remove the restraints.

When they're off, Jungkook pulls me into a tight hug.

"Everyone has been looking for you like crazy. What's going on?" He asks, his eyes scared and confused.

"This isn't the time or place to do this. Come with me, okay? I'll take you to my room and look after you."

I turn to the crowd. "All of you, to your posts!" I call.

~~~~~~~~

I put ice on his cheek as we sit together.

"Y/N, why are you comfortable here? And why do they all listen to you?"

"I don't really know the details, but from what I do know, once upon a time I was someone really important around here."

"That much was obvious. The first row took a step back when you moved into the circle."

"Why did you come here? How did you find it, Kookie?"

"I was just in the woods, trying to clear my thoughts. I like to hike when I'm depressed. And I just stumbled upon this fence and then people were yelling and attacking me."

"I'm sorry. I'll do my best to get you home safe okay?"

"Do your best to get us home-"

The door suddenly bursts open and the guards from earlier come in.

"And what exactly are you doing?" I stand, putting myself between them and Jungkook.

"We're here for the boy."

"I don't think so. He's under my protection at the moment. You can ignore whatever orders you've been given."

"Not really. These ones come from the boss himself. I guess you should know your place, huh?" I narrow my eyes at her.

"He wants the boy in solitary confinement until we know what to do with him."

"What to do with him? What do you mean by that?"

"You know what they say... loose lips sink ships."

My eyes grow wide as I understand. If they can't trust him, they'll kill Jungkook. I can't let that happen.

He looks at me desperately, having reached the same conclusion.

"Don't worry Kookie. I'll fix things with Namjoon. I won't let anything happen."

"Speaking of the boss, he wants you in his office immediately."

"I wouldn't let him wait. Especially if you want the boy to live." I spare Jungkook one last comforting glance before hurrying down the halls.

I only pray Namjoon is sensitive to puppy dog eyes.

~~~~~~~~~

"Oh, Y/N." Taehyung looks at me, leaving Namjoon's office just as I'm about to head in. "Go on in. He's expecting you."

I nod, starting to move. We brush shoulders, and the pile of things he's carrying falls. "Sorry- is that Jungkook's wallet?"

"Well, we have to make sure he isn't a spy."

"He isn't." I frown. "You and I both know that."

"Do we? He never said why he was in the forest."

"He was clearing his thoughts."

"Close to five kilometres into the forest? I don't think so."

"V-"

"Look, Y/N. Once upon a time, you were the best of the best. But you've forgotten a lot, and you've forgotten procedure to intruders."

"Was beating him part of your procedure?"

"I was interrogating him."

"You assaulted him."

"This isn't a perfect world, Y/N. Sometimes one action has many names."

"That's not true, V. I can't believe your true colours are like this after all." I brush past him, starting to head inside but he grabs my wrist.

"Just because we don't see eye to eye doesn't mean that you don't mean everything to me and you can't trust me." He says, gently.

"Actually, it does." I open the door and shut it in his face.

"Thanks for coming, Y/N." Namjoon is too busy typing away on his computer to look at me.

"Um, what do you need?" I ask, sitting in the chair next to his desk reserved for me.

"Well, I'm currently thinking my way through a decision, and you've always been the deciding factor on what I do."

"Namjoonie, what is it?"

"I think we need to kill Jungkook."