Knives, Coffee, And Uncomfortable Situations

Amnesia

The knife weighs down my hand. It is heavy, menacing, and sharp. It comforts me.

As I wait for the toll of the bell, I analyze him. He's probably 90 some odd pounds heavier than me, and has muscles places I didn't even know existed.

But I'm not worried. This is easy. He doesn't scare me. 

I've seen far, far worse. 

He charges at me instantly, aiming for my ribcage with his knife. I quickly ram my left knee into his right arm, sending his hand flying away from me as I step back. I have a small cut in my chin now, but it hurts like nothing. 

I see the agent bite his lip, wanting to call the match already, but my mother places her hand on his shoulder and gives me a comforting smile.

I can do this. 

When he lunges for me again, I side step and turn so I'm facing his side and throw my arms around his neck. As I put him in a choke hold, he reaches to stab me with his knife. I kick his hand away with my closest foot and rest my knife against his throat. 

Needless to say, he stopped fighting after that.

As the match is called, I pull my knife away and wipe neck. Blood from earlier had dripped down, staining my shirt. 

I swear under my breath, as this means I'm going to be very, very late for school.

"In a real fight, a move like that would be too risky." My trainer scolds me as he starts trying to clean my cut.

"That was a real fight." I push him away. "Neither of us held back."

"Neither of you wanted to kill each other though." Hoseok frowns. "What would have happened in a real situation? Blood lust makes people move quicker."

"So does adrenaline." I reply, grabbing my water off the bench and taking a quick drink.

"Y/N." The agent comes over, unhappy.

"Yes, Yoongi?" I sigh.

"Agent Min." He frowned.

"Yeah, yeah. What do you want? I still have to shower and there's only 15 minutes until my first class starts." I narrow my eyes. 

"You need to be less reckless." He said simply.

"I won, didn't I?" I cross my arms.

"Yes, and you did a good job." My mom smiles and tried to ease the tension. 

"They don't send just one person. They send hordes. Little cuts like this add up." He touches my chin and I hit his hand away.

"Worst comes to worst I run. I've been doing it for years." I put my hands on my hips to stop myself from balling them into fists. I refuse to let him see he's angered me.

"They're growing smarter and more dangerous. When the A.S.C. come for you next, they are NOT going to wait for your family to leave. You run, they die." Silence cuts across the room as Yoongi steps towards me.

"You think you know what an encounter feels like. You think you know what is best for me." I step forward, shocking him enough to move backwards. "You don't know anything about them. About what I've seen. You're paid by the government to say you're important. But I've seen more action then you in my six years than you've had in your fifteen."

I push past him, hurrying out the door so he can't see me cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first time I was attacked, I was twelve. It's my first real memory of my life. 

It's raining. 

I'm limping because of a broken leg and my arm is gushing blood from a bullet wound. I'm not crying though. I just know I have to get home. 

I don't have any memories before this. Doctors said I had retrograde amnesia while remembering all names and faces of those in my life.

A special case, they called me.

One of a kind, they called me. 

All of my other 'memories' are things that have been beaten into my brain by tutors, parents, and anyone else who thinks they're better than me.

I stayed at the school I was at before for two weeks, until a gunman came to my school asking for me, shooting three kids and killing one.

We moved after that.

As more and more people got hurt because of me, I grew more distant. I wasn't popular, but I wasn't a freak.

People know about freaks.

I was the most average, boring girl I could possibly be. No one talks about someone normal.

And that's how I get to stay in my homes for a little bit longer. 

It's how I live.

~~~~~~~~~~

The small pistol under my shirt is cold against my lower back. No one knows I have it, except the principal. No one knows how to use it, except for me. 

Well, and them.

I push the door open to my class and sigh as I've interrupted a lesson.

"Y/N, Y/N, Y/N. This is the third time this week, and it's only Thursday." My English teacher sighs, sitting on his desk. 

"Sorry, sir." I apologize.

"Don't be sorry. Because you're going to do me a little favour." He pushes off the desk and walks towards me.

.

Kim Seokjin is the hot teacher at my school. Early twenties, perfect, straight white teeth, and he tells great jokes. He also is one of few who knows my secret.

He found out about a week into school, upon grabbing my shoulder in an power outage classroom to assist me out of the room. We had been studying after class.

He knew something was wrong when I broke his arm.

The principal explained my 'complicated' situation, and  that was when I became his favourite student.

He called me the modern day Hercules.

And now, Mr. Kim puts his hand on my shoulder and beams at me.

I frown at him. He knows I hate attention. He thinks it'd be safer for me to have a few friends, but he doesn't understand. Friends either stab you in the back or try to post pictures with you. Either would be deadly for me.

"We have a new kid. Please show him around." He smiled. "Jungkook, can you stand?"

He stood, and I sighed. "Do I have to, Jin?" I mumbled.

"Be nice. Smile." He said softly, giving me a light push towards my desk. "We're on page 72." He said louder. "You can read Erin's part, as she's sick today."

I did not want to read Erin's part. I didn't want a part at all. But because making a fuss would cause more attention then not reading from the playbook, I grit my teeth and followed the script.

When the bell finally rang, I sigh heavily and stretch in my seat. Mr. Kim is yelling things into the hall as some students have already left- things like remember your playbook tomorrow and our final play is only in a week, so we all better practice.

"Hey. Y/N, Right?" That guy, Jungkook sits on the desk next to mine. "I have calculous next. Can you show me how to get there?"

"I need to talk to J- Mr. Kim." I say. "Taehyung has calculous next. He can take you." I point to someone. 

"Hey, I'm not your boy, Y/N. You can't just hand me your responsibilities you don't want." Taehyung frowns. 

"I'm not unwanted." Jungkook frowned. "I'm too attractive for that." I roll my eyes, and he grins. "I'm usually a first pick."

"Alright, Pick boy, let's go. I'll take you to calc." He shook his head and smiled. "You better pick him up from calc, Y/N." Taehyung says before leaving with Jungkook at his side.

"Jin!" I hiss when everyone is gone. "What the !"

"Its good for you!" He promised in a hushed voice.

"You know I don't need friends or attention!" I hit his arm.

"Oh, Y/N, that hurts me. Aren't we friends?" He asked, giving me a smile that would make any girl weak in the knees. Except for this one.

"You give a guy your phone number, and all of the sudden he thinks you're friends. What kind of girl do you take me for?" I smile and he laughs.

"One that would get along excellent with her classmates if she applied herself." He replied softly, putting his hands on either side of the desk I was sitting on and leaning towards me.

"Y/N, tell me. Why do you distance yourself from everyone? From me? I've never done anything but try to help you." He asked, and our faces are so close.

Holy this is my English teacher. 

"Jin. I'm going to have to leave soon, probably in a couple of months. They'll find me like they always do. And I'll move somewhere ridiculous and out of the way. Antarctica maybe. I'll have to destroy my cellphone, so they can't track it and I'll fake my name and entrance to another school." I explain. "This is only temporary. It's easier on everyone if I just disappear and leave no broken hearts behind."

"I'll be broken hearted. Don't you get Ionely, Y/N?" He asked softly. "Most of the students don't know your name." 


"Which is perfect. Hey, don't be so sad." I smiled and lightly hit (more of a tap) His cheek with my right hand. "Taehyung knows my name. That's nice, isn't it?"

"Y/N-" he starts but is cut off by a knock on the door, causing him to back off and allow more space for me.

"Mr. Kim?" There was a hesitant call. "Are you in there? ... Is class cancelled?" It got a little hopeful at the end.

"Class is not. Please come in and sit down." He opened the door. "I was just counciling a student about her role in my play."

"Ah, why?" The girl said harmlessly, curious.

"I'd like her to take the lead, if the actress is unable to make it." I glare at him, grab my bag, and leave before he can say any more.

Maybe his jokes aren't that funny after all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner is quiet. Usually is. Mom tends to invite Yoongi over to eat with us, and he usually declines.

Just my luck, tonight he accepts.

"I'd like to talk about your future with you." He says as we all sit in the livingroom after dinner. Just me, Mom, and my brothers Mark and Jimin.

"Its already been decided, hasn't it?" I snapped at him, fed up after his actions this morning, my long day with Jungkook and his unwanted presence at dinner.

"You stay out of this. This doesn't involve you." He said, and I laugh without humor.

"It doesn't involve me?" I ask. "I'm the only person who is involved in this. No one else is being hunted but me. Not you, not them, not anyone-"

"Y/N." My mother says. "Sit."

"It's okay, Y/N." Mark wraps his arms around me. 

"You're going to be eighteen in a few weeks." Yoongi continues. "Meaning you're going to be a legal adult, one considered fully able of working and sustaining herself."

I sigh. As of me turning eighteen, the funding from the government to pay for our often moving would be cut. Only enough for me. They wouldn't be coming the next time I had to leave. It was something we all knew and agreed with.

"I've already started planning my next move." I said softly.

"Without me?" Mom's eyes look hurt, and I avoid her gaze by staring at the floor.

"Where?" Yoongi asks me.

"Salzberg, Germany." I explain softly. "I've had a few agents contact the protection agency over there to begin preparing accommodations for me."

Yoongi nods in satisfaction. "Nice choice. I like it."

"So far?" Mom's eyes fill with tears, and Mark grabs me tightly.

"I don't have a choice." I said softly. "When they find me next, you move somewhere nice, and I'll go somewhere for a week. Bait them, have them find me and realize I'm no longer with you, and then head to Germany." I explain my plan. "It will remove the target from your back for the most part, and then you'll be safe."

"But-" Mark begins his protest, cut off by Yoongi.

"You'll have an in-house bodyguard too." He said. "To ensure your safety. He'll be gone during the day, and return from work when you do. Like another family member." He explained.

Like a replacement child.

To help them forget about me.

~~~~~~~

I walk Yoongi to the door, and he gives me an out of character hug. "Are you okay?" He asks gently. "You seem stressed."

"I'm always stressed." I frowned. "Yoongi, you know that."

"Agent Min." He sighed. "Why must you insist on calling me by name?"

"For the same reason why you feel the need to criticise me for my inability to perform to your standards. I'm not your soldier." I reply.

"I don't see you as a soldier, Y/N." He says gently.

"Then what?" I turn away, beginning to head upstairs even though he hasn't left yet.

"You're a scared girl with a nearly impeccable mask. The only hint otherwise are a few cracks. And you may think that at the end of the day, you have still won because you are alive, and you have distanced yourself from everyone you love. Your mother, Mark, Jimin, your classmates, teachers, and me. But Y/N, listen to me. Every crack must one day shatter. And your time is falling short." He says as I leave him at the base of the stairs.

I sigh. "Goodnight, Yoongi."

"Goodnight, Y/N." 

I can practically hear him smiling.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Yoongi is in a good mood the next day, which makes me sick.

He's smiling like a child as he dodges an uppercut from me and moves back.

"I'm surprised a geezer like you can move that fast." I comment as I let out an exhilarated breath.

"I'm only twenty-three, Y/N." He smiled at me, and I take the advantage to try and kick him.

He grabs my ankle, hoisting it far above both our heads. I quickly twist to fix my balance as he grins. "If I win, will you treat me to coffee before you have class?"

"You won't win." I say.

"Then you should have no problem offering me a coffee." He grins.

"Fine, but I win and you treat." I sigh, jumping off my one leg and falling onto my back, bring Yoongi tumbling with me.

He's shocked by my actions, as this is a maneuver he's never let Hoseok teach me. 

Little does he know that I'm a pretty talented theif. I've been breaking into my trainers' home offices for years. Hoseok's is easier then most. I hop the fence to his backyard, walk through the garden to not trigger any alarms and jump over his petunias so I'm on the back doorstep. I reach my hand through the dog door, unlock the back entrance and stroll right in. As for his locked office, I swiped his key the fourth day of training, made a copy of it and returned it the next morning, saying I found it in my gym bag.

Works every time.

I only break in when Yoongi stops Hoseok from teaching me something he thinks is inappropriate. Hoseok is very open with me, unlike some trainers I've ever had. They sugarcoat my success to make me think I'm doing well. Hoseok tells me when I could've died.

I quite like him.

Yoongi still has my ankle, but a kick and a roll allows me to break free and sit on top of him, holding his arms down.

He winks at me before jerking his hips upwards, making me let go of his arms and catch myself. He pushes me off with his hands, after a swift knee to my ribs. 

I groan in pain, but I am quick to my feet. I won't allow him to hold this over me.

And then I'm grabbed from behind, an arm around my throat.

"And now you're dead." Yoongi sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~

"I hate you." I frown as I sit down at a Java Express with Yoongi.

"No you don't." He smiled. "Just last night, you walked me to the door so you wouldn't have to be so long without me."

"I walked you to the door so you wouldn't rob me." I frown.

He laughs at that, showing off a row of perfect white teeth. "You're just mad cause you lost." 

"You cheated! That doesn't count." I frown. "It was a one on one match, and you had a second person."

"The A.S.C. isn't going to play by the rules, Y/N. You have to be ready for situations like this one." He explained with a smile. "You should've noticed that when we fell, the door to the arena opened and Hoseok came in. I asked for help when you were twisting us around."

"Wow. Agent Min asking for help." I say softly and smile at him. "Never thought I'd see the day."

"Wow, Y/N smiling at something other than my misery. Never thought this day would come either." He smiled back, leaning forward and poking my cheek. "You're much prettier when your happy."

"Being pretty causes attention."

"Well, I wouldn't be shocked if it was what got you into this mess in the first place." Yoongi said softly, before looking down into his coffee. "Do you really not remember anything before that night?"

Rain. Blood trickling down my arm. Shouts behind me. My heart pounding so hard it felt like it was going to  burst.

"I don't." I looked around the café in a routine sweep.

"Hey." He places his hand over the one I'm using to hold my coffee cup. "The doctors said that because it's not brain trauma, you can learn everything again, right? So don't stress, okay? Someday you'll remember what happened to you and why these guys want you so badly."

"I know." I look down. "It's just... Yoongi. My life was ruined in one night by an estimated six or seven guys and I don't for the life of me know why. What could a twelve year old have done to make someone hate her so much?" 

He reaches under my chin, making me meet his eyes as he gives me a gentle smile. "I don't know, but I'll always be trying to find out."

"Thank you. I appreciate it." I sigh, and he removes his hand.

"I wanted to just let you know that Salzberg is a smart choice. You should go. Even if it upsets your mother."

"I am going." I sigh into my coffee. "The further and more bizarre places I go, the safer I am. Most people don't move from Korea to Germany."

"So what makes you different?"

"I'm not most people."

"Fair. Anyways, Hoseok and I have been in contact with your principal, and-"

"Y/N! You didn't pick me up from my last class- are you on a date?" Jungkook's eyes grew wide.

"Psh. In his dreams."

"My nightmares, actually. You little devil spawn." He says and you kick him under the table.

"What are you doing here? Doesn't class start in 5 minutes?" I frown at my watch.

"I didn't even realize you knew what time class started at, Y/N. Well, considering you're always late." Tae smiles as he walks up to us. 

"Hmm, well what about you?" I ask, tilting my head. "Being late is nothing to me. But why are you here if there's such little time?"

"Jimin. Who else." Tae rolled his eyes. "He wanted us to pick him up a croissant on the walk."

I huff. "Of course he did."

"We're about to start walking- wanna come with?" Jungkook offers

"Actually, I was going to give her a ride." Yoongi lies smoothly, trying to save me from uncomfortable social interaction.

"Oh, thanks!" Tae smiles. "We'll tag along!"

"You know I tried, right?" Yoongi put his hand on my knee as I get into the front seat of his car.

"I know. You just can't reason with him." I sigh.

~~~~~~~~~~

Everyday after school I go for a jog, meaning I arrive home later than Jimin and Mark.

Mom is at work, so I expect it to be fairly quiet.

Instead I hear screaming and loud music.

"I got it! I got it! Wooooooo~!"

"Jimin! Shut up!" I yell as I shut the door, following the noise.

"Back off, Mark!" Jimin kicked his leg as he moved his entire body to steer.

"Oh, hey, Y/N. You're home late." Mark comments without removing his eyes from the T.V. screen as he played Mario Kart.

"I took a longer route than usual. Why didn't you tell me you were having people over?"

"It was unexpected. Jimin brought Taehyung, and then they invited Kookie to join."

"Kookie?"

"Jungkook." Mark beams. "He'd make a good boyfriend for you."

You reach forward and pinch his ear as Jungkook turned red.

"Jimin is a special case. We're not adopting every random guy you meet." I lean forward and whisper in his ear before he smacks away my hand.

"Well, you'll be gone so you can't stop me."

"You sure got over that one quick." I roll my eyes as Jimin screams having lost first place. "Jimin, calm down. It's only a game, okay?"

"He can't hear you." Mark tells me, and I smack the back of Jimin's head as I walk by to grab a snack from the kitchen.

"Hey! Stop it before I tell mom!" Jimin said, pausing the game.

"Tell her!" I call back. "She loves me more!"

"She says she loves us equally!"

"Yeah, but I was planned." You grin, kissing his cheek. "I'm kidding. Don't get mad. Also don't tell mom. She'll put me on house arrest again. You know how much that drives me crazy."

He sighed. "Who's your favourite brother?"

Mark reaches over and unpauses it, causing Jimin to loose his spot in second. "Me."

"MARK! HOW COULD YOU!"

"Keep it down, okay? I'm studying." I shake my head at them, heading upstairs. 

"Bye! Love you!" Your two brothers call.

"Yeah, yeah." You wave them off.

~~~~~~~~~~

Jimin wasn't my brother. Well, he was and he wasn't. Legally and biologically, no. But family wise, I was as close with him as I was with my actual brother, Mark.

Jimin was like an unexpected puppy when Mark befriended him. And when it came time for us to leave that home and head to another, it was impossible to say goodbye. We had had the half finished adoption papers filled out when we moved out of country, bringing him with us. 

The government offers little mercies to my family. 

We don't get to pick our house, its furniture, or its location. Sure, we don't pay for the rent, but all the utilities and groceries are expensive. Plus, we have to save travel money. The government may pay for our flight, but not our hotel stays or anything like that. That's not all though.

They put large restrictions on practically everything we do, constantly trying to lower our support money.

If mom doesn't do an interview for work within 7 days of us, our funds are cut until she gets one. Then she has another 7 days. 

If I don't train in self defense for at least 20 hours weekly, funding is cut.

If I fail to report an accident within 24 hours (whether it be a break in to the house, a threat, or a posted picture), funding is cut.

So you can imagine our dispare when we realized that Jimin was not a member of our family. We had no reason to take him with us. One form, days away from receiving approval, would be what took him away from us.

The government offers us little mercy. But Jimin sitting on the couch downstairs, smiling and laughing is one of them.

I stretch in my desk chair, massaging my shoulder. It's sore from practice.

And it's because my hands are occupied that I'm unable to stop the hand that reaches out from behind me.