In which we had quarrel

Housemate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In Which We Had Quarrel

 

Park Chorong

 

This morning, I was woken up because the sunlight was peeking brightly through my glass window across my bed.  I stretched my body and rubbed my eyes before sitting on the bed, with blank stare.  Remembering about my plan today, to go to bookstore—filling my new bookshelf with new released books, made me reluctantly walking toward the bathroom to give little shower on my body.

Done showering, I browsed my wardrobe, which I arranged yesterday.  I pulled out the white crop tank top and high-waist floral shorts, then put it on.  I checked myself out on the big mirror next to my door.  Once I satisfied with my looks, I went out from my room and headed to the kitchen.  I still be able to take a glance on Bomi’s door before making my morning tea.  The house was empty with only me.  I was a bit grateful for having a housemate in this large place.  I was shy and introvert, but it did not mean that I did not want to have any interaction with somebody.

I had just finished brewing tea when I heard creaking sound from Bomi’s room.  I looked up and saw Bomi walked out from her room, in messy hair and swollen face.  She walked toward the refrigerator and had a glass of water.  Just like yesterday, she was leaning on kitchen counter while drinking her water.  She was wearing a very thin oversized tee, and I clearly could see her crest peeking out underneath.  I also wondered if she wore pants or not as I could barely see any shorts below her big tee.

“Done checking?”  She placed the glass beside her.  Now her eyes were fixing on me.

“Wha…  What are you talking about?”  I replied, trying not to sound stuttering.

“I knew you were checking on me, and if your mind is wondering whether I am wearing my bra or not—the answer is no.  I don’t wear it when I sleep.  it’s stuffy, you know it well, right?”  She blurted out.

I had nothing to feel, but embarrassed.  I hid my embarrassment by taking a sip of the tea, but soon spitted it out as it was really hot—nearly burnt my tongue.

“No need to be shy.  We both girl.  We wear something comfort when we’re home.”  She chuckled, laughing to my clumsiness.

“May I have a cup of tea too?”  She asked, walking closer to me.

“Sure.”  I answered shortly, without looking at her.

She happily turned away and took her cup, then back again to pass it on me, asking for tea.  I poured the hot water from the pot, but I slipped my grip and accidently hurt my hands, burning by the heat of the water.

“Ouch!”  I yelled out, almost throwing away the pot.

I checked my hand, which slowly turned red.  Soon, I felt a warmth wrapped around my hand, not because the hot water which accidently had poured my hands, but it was Bomi’s hand who rubbed my skin.

“Are you okay?”  She worriedly checked my hand.

I looked at her intently.  I just found out that she had a perfect nose bridge.  Straight—slim—and long.  Her eyelashes were pretty too.  Long and thick.  I looked away to distract my musings about her, but it was only last for seconds.  Now, I was looking at her, blowing my hands.  I was fluttered when her breath against my skin.  Once my cheek reddened, I pulled my hand away, which made her startled.

“I…  I am okay.  I just surprised.”  I said softly, then tried to brew a cup of tea for her again.

She slowly moved to take a seat on barstool opposite to where I was standing.  She was watching me while I brewing the tea.

“I’ll pour another water if you keep looking at me like that.”  I said, eyes focus on the pot.

“I love looking at you.  Interesting.”  She said blatantly, giving her typical grin before grabbing an apple in front of her.

“You start to freak me out.”  I shuddered, passing her a cup of tea, then joined to the seat beside her.

“Why?”  She turned away, facing me.

“Did you try to flirt with me?  You look like somebody who enjoy it.  I bet you are a player.”  I retorted.

She raised one of her eyebrow.

“If I flirted with you—did it hit you?”  She teased.

“No—never!”  I stated.  Firm and cold.

“Why?  Because I am a girl?  Are you straight?”

I gasped.  Well—she went too far, and I needed her to shut before I snapped her.

“Yoon Bomi-ssi, I admitted that you are the most honest and straight-forward girl I’ve ever met.  I really love your curiosity—and how friendly you are.  But, I would really appreciate if you can speak to me in modesty—and not to interfere too much about my life.  Thank you.”  I said clearly and carefully, then rushed outside, back to my plan.

I walked too fast to the basement, getting my car.  I tossed myself on the car’s seat too strong, and I had to rub my elbow as it bumped into the handbrake.

Why did she flirt me like that?  Why did she ask me that question?  Is she really an—abnormal?

Those questions kept resonating on my head.  I caught her several times looking at me, observing me—but, it might be too early to call her someone-with-ual-disorder.  I admitted that sometimes I took a glance at her too, but I was just curious and she was an interesting buddy.  I shook my head, trying to throw that thought away.

Think positive, be positive, Park Chorong!  She is only a girl who loves to joke around.

After composing myself, I drove my car toward a bookstore, which I called ‘my heaven’.  Bookstore was a heaven for everyone who loves reading—like me.  I could spend a long hour there, browsing the books, before finally deciding to buy some.

Arriving at my destination, I directly scanning the book, choosing carefully before place it in my cart.  I spent my money mostly in books, and my parent did not really mind about it as they also love to read.  I remembered when they always read me a book after lunch or before sleep—and it was long—long time ago before they were getting busy with their career overseas.  The only thing they left was my love for books.

In no time, I already filled my cart with plenty books.  I headed to cashier to do payment.  I could feel the other customers—and even the cashier widened their eyes when I handed her my-father’s-black card.  I wondered about what made that card was special.  I done with the shopping, and about to open my door’s car when someone patted by shoulder.  I turned around and saw a tall girl behind me.

“Naeun-ah!”  I shouted excitedly.

“Unnie, I miss you.”  She said before hugging me tightly.

“You said that you’re going to call me this summer.”  I sneered, pretending to be sulky.

“Kekeke—I am sorry, Unnie…  a bit busy.”  She laughed softly.

“Have you visited your mom—and grandma?”  I asked.

Naeun is my cousin.  Her mother is my mother’s younger sister.  The captious aunt I had mention before is Naeun’s mother.  Unfortunately, their parent had divorced, and she had been living with her father since she entered the college this year.

“I’ll go this weekend.  How’s your new house?”

“Mmmmm—nice.  Want to take a look?”

“Sure.”

I opened my car’s door while Naeun was walking to the other side, then get on my car.  I told her about what happened when I moved to my new place.  She was shocked but excited at the same time.  I told her everything—including the flirtatious part from Yoon Bomi.

“I really curious about your place—about that girl.”  Naeun said after I finished my story.

“Please don’t tell your parent, my parent, and grandma about this.  I am pretty sure they’ll put me back into home if they find out I got a trouble at my first time moving out.”  I begged.

“I won’t tell them, Unnie…  I know your feeling—living to that house.”  She laughed softly.

I glanced at her a while before joining in—laughed away.

We still chattering away when I opened my unit’s door.  I ushered Naeun to enter.  She smiled brightly just by looking the terrace with dark hardwood floors and beige walls.  I entered the living room, where the big wall-mounted TV attached on the white panel.

“It’s a bit messy, isn’t it?”  Naeun said carefully, looking at me.

I did not get her point.  I looked around and well—it was in mess.  The bags of snack left on the white loveseat, the cushion laid on the floor, drink cans and magazines on the modern glass coffee table, and there were also towel and clothes scattered on the beige rug.

I bit my lower lips, holding back my emotion as I hate seeing my home in mess.  I walked toward the kitchen and my eyes fixed on sink, where a pan, spoon, for, glass, chopsticks, and bowl stacked on it.  I turned around and Naeun already stood behind me, witnessing the mess.

“Let’s talk in my room.  It’s the cleanest room here.”  I dragged her to my room.

“Daebak!!!  I just left the house in 5 hours and the house was like a shipwreck.”  I squalled once I entered my room.

“I hope you get along with your messy housemate.”  Naeun replied, and I knew she

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter