In which I met her

Housemate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In Which I Met Her

 

Park Chorong

 

It was my second year as a college student when I decided to move out from my home.  My parents were rarely home, busy with their business overseas.  I lived with my grandmother and my captious aunt.  I did not really get any attention from my parent since I was child.  What I could get was money, which I barely spent as I did not really like to hang out.  It was tough to convince them that I wanted to live alone, especially with the interference and provocation of my aunt.  But I kept cajole, telling that it was tiring to drive more than an hour to reach the college, and another one hour to back to home.  And also, I wanted to be more independent and reliable person, which would be necessary for my future.  After a long discussion, my parent finally gave me permission to live alone, with many terms and conditions.

Riding on my red hatchback, I drove through the crowded road in busy hours.  I was driving as careful as possible toward the address which was given by local real estate agent, where I got help finding the place for me to stay.  I did not get to see the unit directly as I was quite busy.  I just got the pictures and details of the unit, and it was quite my style—according to the pictures and agent’s explanation.  I just hoped that I would not hit the zonk.

I was close to the destination, and the neighborhood was quite cozy and convenient.  The apartment was located close to subway and bus terminal, and there was a supermarket nearby, which I found really convenient for me as I liked to cook my own meals.  I didn’t really like to buy food outside, except the food was really famous or recommended to be enjoyed.

Done parking my car, I got off and opened my baggage, taking down my stuff, carefully bringing it to my brand-new place.  I took the lift, with high stacked boxes on my hands, blocking my view.  I regretted myself not to ask any help from my friend to move in.  Arriving in my destined floor, I looked around, trying to find my unit.  As I spot it, I headed there and struggled to enter the password.  I ushered inside once the door could be opened.  I put my stuff down, checking surrounding.  It was nice.  The place already fully-furnished with clean, streamline furniture and architecture style.  The wall was colored in blanched almond blended well with the strong geometric design in some items.  I already fell for this place.  I would not regret that I had signed the contract and fully-paid the one year rent.

I headed to a room, which probably the bedroom.  Opening the door, I was captivated by the look of the bedroom.  The room was dominated by the neutral color, black and white, and some touches of burly wood.  A big white linen bed with walnut and white side table was facing the big glass door.  The desk was close to the window, in white with polished surface, showing the glamorous chic of the room.  I smiled in satisfaction seeing the place, this is just perfect, and beyond my expectation.

I heard a door opened when I was admiring the city view through the large window.  I turned around, a girl in bathrobe had just stepped out from a room, which I believed was the bathroom.  I was shocked and stupefied for seconds.

“Who are you?  Wha…  What are you doing here?”  I frowned.

“I should be the one who said that!”  She snapped.

I rolled my eyes, ready to snap back.

“Yaaaaa!!!  What are you doing at someone else’s place?”  I squalled.  Hands on my hips.

She gasped.

“Someone else’s house?  This is my house.  What are you doing at my house?”  She widened her smiley eyes, copying me to place her hands on her hips.

“Your house?  This is my house!  I rent this place for a year, and I can show you the contract.”  I rebutted.

“What are you talking about?  I also rent this place for a year—and if you ask me to show the legal document—I also have it.  Let’s see who is the liar here.”  She walked away, taking something from her bag which was laid on the floor the whole time.

“Check this!”  She approached me and passed me a brown envelope.  I opened it, reading it carefully.  I furrowed my eyebrow as I read the paper.  It was true that she rented this place, but I also had the same paper.

I opened my bag and searched my contract, then gave it to her right after I found it.  She was doing the same thing like me, reading it carefully, ended it with a furrow on her eyebrow.

“What does this thing mean?”  She gave it back to me, so do I.

“What has written there is exactly the same as mine.  I don’t know how this thing happened.”  She continued.

“Did the agent tell you that you will share this place with someone else?”  I asked.

“No.  They told me about the detail, but not about the fact that it is actually shared unit.  No wonder the price is a bit cheap for a place like this.  I was shocked at first—and my hunch is right, that something would be happened.”  She murmured.

“Aigoo!!!   I already paid it full—for a year rent!”  She raked her black wavy hair.

“Me too.”  I said weakly.

She plonked herself on bed, while I felt my feet became weak, which naturally commanded me to take a seat on the chair in front of the desk.  We both silenced for a while.

“I don’t think I can find another place.  I have no money left—and my parent will swear at me if I ask them for more money.  I already spent a lot for this place.”  She murmured, fixing her gaze on ceiling.

“Me too.  They’ll force me to stay at home instead.”  I said, to no one.

“And if we complain to the agent, it will be no use as won’t return our money.”  I added.  “I should check the contract thoroughly before I signed it!”

“Just accept it then.  There are two bedrooms anyway.  We can have it each.  It’s not a big deal actually.”  She said lightly.

I sighed.  I was a bit disappointed.  My dream about living alone was ruined.  It ended up by living together with stranger, who I did not even know about her name, and background, and habit.  I was not really comfortable to live with someone else, especially a stranger, but I had no choice but to accept it.  I hoped she was a good girl—and did not interfere too much about my life.

“I’ll use this room then!”  I said.  I could see that girl widened her eyes.

“What did you say?  I am the first one to come here, so I’ll be the one who has the right to use thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter