In which we were so distant

Housemate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In Which We Were So Distant

 

 

Park Chorong

 

“Eunji-ya?”  I was both relieved and startled as Eunji’s hands wrapped around my waist, holding me firmly who was about to fall down.

“Be careful, Unnie…  and watch your step, even when you’re in rush.”  She helped me to stand steadily.

“Thank you, Eunji-ya…  and I am sorry to collide into you…”  I said solemnly.

“Don’t mention it—where are you going?  You look in hurry?”  She wondered.

“Mmmm, I am going back for my next class.”  I replied groggily.

“I see—Enjoy your lunch?”  She pointed out the lunchbox which I was holding.

“Yeah…”  I answered weakly.

“It doesn’t sound like you did.”  She looked at me suspiciously.

“I ate it some, but could not finish it all.”  I tried to sound fine.

“Why?”  She frowned.

“I am full.”  I said randomly.

“May I?”  She asked vaguely.

“Pardon?”  I was puzzled.

“May I eat the rest?”  She grabbed my lunchbox.  She was like Bomi, always being forward and bright.

“No.  How can you eat my—leftover.  It’s gross, and…”

I could not finish my words as Eunji dragged me away to an empty bench, right under the tree.  She opened my lunch box and gasped.

“I bet you ate no more than three spoonsful.”  She looked at me as I committed a crime.

“Four.  Revised.”  I blurted out, rendering her to giggled at me.

“I now you are not full yet.  Just continue your lunch.”  She placed the lunchbox on my lap.

“I already full now.  I’ll just throw it away.”  I closed the lid.

“Don’t waste the food, Unnie…  If you don’t want to eat it, I will.  Your cooking is too precious to be wasted.”  She transferred the box back to her hands.

“But it is…”

“I don’t mind to eat it, whether it is your leftover or whatsoever.  It will still delicious.  And I don’t need to worry to have something from you as you’re the most hygienic person I’ve ever known.”  She said cheerfully.

I gave up and let her eating my food.  I was worried before, but slowly relieved as she enjoyed the food happily.  I noted to myself to make her a lunch next time.  She was as cute as Bomi while eating.  I could tell that they both really loved eating.

“Thanks for the food, Unnie…  I hope I have another chance to eat your cooking again.  I envy Bomi who is able to eat delicious food every day.”  She said brightly after emptying the box.

I was as happy as her seeing the food was not going to be wasted.

“You can come over for dinner anytime.”  I countered happily.

“I don’t think I have any reason to visit your place.  Bomi is busy with her jobs, rarely home.”  She put back the box in the pouch.

“Just use dinner as your reason then…”  I softly laughed.

“I’ll come if you really mean it.”  She smiled broadly.

“I really mean it.”  I replied solemnly.

“I’ll back to my class.  It’ll start soon.”  I continued, taking the pouch from Eunji.

“I’ll return it to you after I wash it, Unnie…”  She grabbed it back.

“You don’t need to, Eunji-ya…  I’ll wash it.”  I countered.

“I need this for a reason to visit you, Unnie…”  She held my hands to block me taking the pouch.

“Hahaha—You’re really funny…”  I chuckled at her.

“Indeed.  I’ll wash it really clean.  You don’t need to worry.”  Was her utterance before I agreed her deed.

 

It was a long day.  Having a tight class until afternoon—and attending an English course until eight.  My head was really heavy, as well as my body.  I needed sweets and coffee before I headed back to home, and I stopped by a nearby café.

I parked my car just right beside an eye-catching-designed café.  Colored in black and yellow which was hard to be missed.  The café had a bright and warm atmosphere, and there were many seats available.  It mostly packed by students who was chatting with their friends, silently watching the phone, or studying for few hours.

I headed to counter and ordered honey bread and a glass of cappuccino.  I took a seat beside a large glass window across the barista’s counter.  I looked outside through the window, enjoying the autumn’s night which awesomely mesmerizing.  There were many couples walking hand in hand, chatting happily, or even having some quarrel, but they seemed to enjoy it.  I slightly wished that I was one of them.  Who walked cheerfully along the stone path.

“One honey bread and one cappuccino.”  A voice broke my musing.

“Thank you…”  I looked up and a bit shocked as I saw familiar face delivering my order.

“Bbom-ah?  You work here?”  I asked in half-shocking.

“Unnie?  It’s really you…”  She was as shocked as me.

I studied her from head to toe.  She was so cute—so cool—so beautiful in dark brown shirt and black jeans with yellow apron attached on her body.  And the cap which had the same color with her apron was perfectly giving her stunning looks.

“You’re alone?”  She asked.

“Eung.”  I answered shortly as I remembered that I still angry to her because of her previous ignorance.

“I should not ask.  You always alone.”  She said jokingly.  But I was a bit hurt hearing her utterance.  I knew I had no friend but her, and she was total opposite of me.  She had many friends, and people who cared about her, and people who would listen to her silly jokes.  And me, I only had her who would listen on my every complain—and every scold.

“I know it very well.”  I snarled.  Looking at her with eyes full of anger.

“I am kidding, Unnie…  don’t take it seriously…”  She began to realize that I was offended.

“Emmmm…  Shall we go home together?  My hour will be over in twenty minutes.  Will you be okay?”  She continued, trying to sound as bright as possible, but it was not soothed me at all.

“I’ll finish this and wait in my car.”  I said coldly.

“No, just stay here, so you can please your eyes.”  She gave me a teasing grin.

“Pardon?”  I frowned.

“I know you like your view.  Me and this cute apron.”  She smirked.

I tried to hold myself not to laugh.  This girl really knew how to make me loss for word.

“I am not.”  I said coolly.

“Hahaha—you’re really cute.”  Was her utterance before leaving me as her workmate called her to deliver another other.

I was watching her when she was working.  Serious, happy, and tireless—and popular.  Indeed, she was.  She was not quite popular with guys, but she was typical girl-crush.  Many girls were captivated by how easy-going and friendly she was.  She knew how to entertain people, how to attract people, and how to treat them sweetly.  Her blunt act slowly got me annoyed.  She was too friendly with other people—other girls, and I was hurt as she was being sweet to anyone.

I almost lost my temper when a girl clung into her arm and spoiled to her.  I hardly resist my hands not to throw the plate to that girl.  And I was about to hurtle the chair away when another girl from another table casually pinching her chubby cheeks, and Bomi did not seem to mind about it.  I thought she was also enjoying the fame.

 

During the short trip home, I did not utter any word.  I was tired of my schedule, and was sick of her unpleasant behavior.  Her intimacy to anyone slightly worry me, and scared me, and I began to think that she would leave me if she found another interesting crush.

“You still angry with my words?”  She broke the silence.

“I am not.”  I answered.  Cold and sharp.

Well, I was offended by her words which saying that I always alone, but it was not the problem.  The problem was her.  It was her who became so distant.  I wondered if it was because her jobs, or because of her free-spirited mind.

“You’re angry, Unnie.”  She repeated.

“I said I am not, Yoon Bomi.”  I retorted.

“I already apologized to you…”  She raised her tone, and it provoked my anger.

“I took you apology, and I am not angry.”  I stated firmly, making an entrance to the basement of our apartment.

“Why do you act like this if you’re not angry.”  She yelled when I unbuckled by seatbelt.

“Act like what?”  I snapped, looking at her furiously.

“I know you’re angry and it may because of something more than my offensive words.”  She grabbed my wrist to deter me getting off the car.

“Let me go!”  I wrenched her hands away, and tried to open the car’s door but she pulled me and pinned me on the door.

We faced each other really close.  I breathed hard, and her so.  She leaned forward, and kissed my lips.  Roughly and harshly.  I was frightened of her abusive action.  There was no love in her kiss, but lust.  It was not the kiss I was longed for.  I pushed her away before it became more intense.  I harshly wiped my lips off, eyes staring at her furiously while she was looking at me in questioned look.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter