Chapter 24

Cheon Nyeon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jaejoong was astonished when the people didn’t shrink back from him aftering being identified as the Night Scholar. With the help of the people, Dongwook and him managed to get away before Gwi arrived.

Gwi was not happy to hear that Jaejoong and the rebels had thwarted him once again. He got down from the horse and entered into a house to find a black robe being left behind. “It seems like they have already escaped from this place.” The guard reported.

“Is he trying to tell me that he wants to play?” Gwi sneered. “Add a reward to find Kim Jaejoong and his men. An amount big enough to even sells their own family members.”

---

The next morning Jaejoong and Dongwook were relocated to a hideout with the people whom they had rescued last night. Jaejoong and Dongwook were sitting outside of the houses. “Look at them” Dongwook began.

Jaejoong turned to look at the playing kids and the other adults.

“You gave them hopes and you are different from Gwi.”

“I am only playing my part as the Night Scholar. But I’m still a being that was created to get rid of Gwi so I should be destroyed along with Gwi. What the people really need is not me but you.”

“Don’t say things like this. We should end this fight and return to the people that are precious to us.” Dongwook smiled. “Cherish Sehyun.”

Jaejoong just kept quiet at Dongwook’s reply.

“Can I ask you one question?”

Jaejoong looked up at the man next to him.

“What kind of person is Crown Prince Yunho? I’m quite sure he was a righteous and capable man, possessing all the qualities to become a good king.” Dongwook said. “As for me, I don’t even think I have the right to face the people and those who had died for me.”

Jaejoong smiled. “Crown Prince Yunho was my master who had great plans but he was a playful friend as well. He loved roaming outside of the palace and enjoyed writing eortic books. He loved giving others a hard time with his lustful jokes.”

“Is that so?” Dongwook smiled. “I’m not sure about books but I do have some knowledge on pictures.”

“From what I see, you and Yunho are the only two persons who have a rightful seat as the king.”

“Really?” And then the two men laughed.

Faye was sleeping in the library and when she woke up, she headed out to see BoA standing at the courtyard. “Have you been waiting for him all night?” Faye asked.

“Didn’t you also wait for him all night while writing?” BoA said. “I sent Junsu out so there should be news soon.”

Right after BoA finished her sentence, Junsu came running into the house. “Aigoo! Aigoo! There’s trouble!”

“What is it?” BoA asked.

“The extracts on master’s deeds have been distributed all over the capital and places outside of the capital as well! They said that master is going around with his majesty to save people. The people are ripping all his ‘wanted’ posters as soon as they are put up. The soldiers are all furious and the scholars are also having meetings about the extracts, and they are planning to help the previous king to rise to the throne again. And the black robes in the capital sold out very quickly. This is all thanks to master’s actions and your incredible drawing and writing skills.”

“Is that so?” Faye asked.

“Ya! And do you know what the people are most interested in?” Junsu asked.

“What?” The two women asked at the same time.

“They want to know what will happen in the finale of the Night Scholar?”

“It will end…” Faye smiled but the smile disappeared very quickly the next second. “But he is still…”

“Don’t worry. He will return soon.” BoA assured.

“Thanks to the people who have recognized our plans, we are able to move freely within the capital. This is all thanks to you and Sehyun.” Dongwook thanked Jaejoong.

“That’s a relief. But now that the black robe brigade’s identity becomes known, you could be in danger. And as the people get involved in the fight, I’m afraid that our sacrifices will get bigger.”

“Since Gwi’s self-fabricated plan had been exposed to the entire nation, he won’t be able to waver the people’s heart even if he creates more vampires.”

Jaejoong nodded. “He is extremely unpredictable and cruel so we must find a way to kill him as soon as possible.”

“Whatever method that may be, it cannot be a method that will sacrifice lives of innocent people like you and Sehyun.”

“We can’t win this fight without spilling blood.”

Dongwook went silent for a while upon hearing Jaejoong’s truest reply. “In the secret plan, I’ve thought about the reason why the king’s will is needed. Althought the reason why we haven’t been able to kill Gwi was because we were afraid, it’s also because the ones who were greedy for power needed his help. If the maternal relation and the guardian vampire meet, do they gain the power to kill Gwi?”

“That power can also drive the world into destruction just like Gwi’s.”

“That’s it! It’s warning us in a way. Uncontrollable power will result in catastrophe. The responsibility for pulling that kind of power in is not on you or the people, it’s on the previous kings who set up this country and me. Even if this nation is set straight again after this fight, if the new king cannot remember this lesson, he will lose his will and make the same mistake again.”

“If we were able to get rid of Gwi, wouldn’t you be ascending to the throne again?”

Dongwook shook his head with a smile. “This fight is also a fight for me to atone for my sins. Whether I ascend the throne or not, that’s something the people will decide, no me.”

Jaejoong nodded.

As the two men made their way out of the room, Dongwook turned to face the vampire. “Kim Jaejoong, is it possible for you to accept me as your friend after this fight is over?”

“Your majesty, I have bet my life on this fight.”

“Me too. We are doing so because we are fighting to survive.”

“Does it really no matter even if the king’s friend is a vampire?” Jaejoong asked and then the two men smiled.

Just then one of Dongwook’s men came up to them. “Your majesty, the soldiers are coming. Please hurry and escape.”

A troop of soldiers came to the hideout and demanded the villagers to hand over the black robe rebels. Several men dressed in black stepped out and declared that they were the rebels.

“Capture them all.” The leading soldier instructed.

Just when those men were to be apprehended, Dongwook came out. “Stop it!” He made his way to the front and stood before the soldiers. “Is there a need to scare your own people like this?”

“This person is no longer the king. Didn’t his majesty say he is going to give big rewards to those who capture the rebels? Hurry and take them!” The leading soldier ordered.

Just before the soldiers could get to Dongwook, Jaejoong stepped in and took the sword from the leading soldier, drawing a line on the ground with it. “I do not wish to take your lives. However, anyone who crosses this line shall die.” And then he bared his fangs and growled.

The soldiers retreated in fear.

“This place is dangerous now since it has been discovered.” Jaejoong turned to tell Dongwook. “You should come to my house instead.”

“Okay. I will go after I check on the queen.”

---

BoA and Junsu heaved a sigh of relief when they saw Jaejoong arriving safely back home. “Where’s Sehyun?” Jaejoong asked.

“In the library.” BoA replied.

Jaejoong gave the woman a nod and made his way to the library. When he was in the library, he saw Faye sitting at the desk. He walked towards her slowly and discreetly, peering over her shoulder as she drew her Night Scholar manhwa.

“And so the Night Scholar, who rose once again with the help of the people, returned to his lover and hugged her tightly.” Faye wrote with a smile on her face.

A smile appeared on Jaejoong’s face and he did what was written on Faye’s story by hugging her from behind. Faye got a shock but recomposed herself very quickly. She put down the brush and turned around to face him. “You know it’s very rude to peek like that.”

“It seems like Faye Shim’s fame has surpassed the Lustful Scholar. Everyone is curious to see how the story will turn out.”

“Then what do you think will happen?” Faye asked.

“I’m not sure. I can’t read your mind.”

“It will probably be a cliché ending. The Night Scholar will live well with the woman he loved forever and ever.”

Jaejoong chuckled. “The reader must have a lot of complaints about how a heroic story turns into a love story.”

“Hurhur! Then I shall kill the girl.” Faye shrugged.

“Don’t you dare!” Jaejoong placed both hands on her cheeks to look at him.

“Oh! By the way, how are you?” Faye asked, checking him from head to toe.

“Yes. Your trust becamse my greatest strength.”

Faye smiled at his reply.

“Do you remember a young girl amongs the maidens that were being captured as offerings?” Jaejoong asked.

“That girl… what happened to her?”

“She is fine. She told me to send her regards to you.”

“Did you save her?”

“Yes. That child and you saved me.” Jaejoong said, staring lovingly at Faye.

Faye smiled and hugged him real tight.

“Faye-ah…” Jaejoong choked.

Faye backed away and held Jaejoong’s hand. “Although the reason I wrote this is to let the people know about your true nature, it’s also for myself to express my feelings.”

“I know.”

“Did you miss me?” Faye asked shyly.

“I miss you.” Jaejoong smiled.

“Then what should you do when the person you missed is standing before you?”

“I don’t know.” Jaejoong shrugged with a cheeky smile on his face.

Faye rolled her eyes and smacked him on the chest when the vampire caught her hand and pulled her towards him, kissing her on the lips.

“Although it’s good that the people are aware of Gwi’s identity, I know Gwi won’t stand still either.” Jaejoong told the other three in their meeting.

“If a large group of people could gather to kill Gwi, he wouldn’t be able to live for such a long period of time ruling the palace.” BoA added.

“So we must hurry to find a way to kill him. If not, countless of people would be killed,” said Jaejoong.

“I have a suggestion.” Faye said, raising her hand up. “I’d been to his underground lair. If we weren’t able to destroy him, we could still destroy his lair with explosives.”

“Ehhh… maybe it’s because you are a writer, but your imagination is amazing.” Junsu said.

“Why? Gwi can’t roam the outside in the daylight. We just need to explode the entire lair and let the sun in.”

“If it were that easy, we would have already done that.” Junsu rolled his eyes.

“We need tonnes of explosives to destroy the whole lair. I don’t think it’s feasible.” BoA agreed. “We have to go inside to plant the explosives. It’s too dangerous.”

“Ya!” Junsu continued. “Do you think you can even get through the palace, carrying so much explosives with you?”

“Gather all the people to start a rebellion. The palace will send all their guards out and then we sneak in with the explosives.” Faye argued back.

“Even if we were able to disperse the guards, Gwi could still sense our movements. But…”

“Please think of another way.” BoA interjected, as if she knew what Jaejoong was going to say next.

“It’s not entirely impossible.” Jaejoong began.

“Master…”

“You can blow up the underground lair while I fight with Gwi.”

“No way!” Faye shouted loudly. “Then I would rather tie the explosives on my body and send myself into the lair. And BOOM! I destroy the lair and kill Gwi.”

Jaejoong stared angrily back at her.

“Good! Glad that you feel angry with me.” Faye nodded. “I am feeling the same way too.”

BoA and Junsu gave one another a look while Faye and Jaejoong continued with their staring war until Faye stood up and left the library in a huff.

---

“So?” Gwi spoke as he walked down the steps, looking at the guard.

“I found the hideout but the men came out in black robes protecting them so I couldn’t capture them.”

“You couldn’t take them?”

“Yes. But I did find the hideout…” Before the guard could even finish sentence, Gwi knocked the guard out without saying anything.

“Isn’t he foolish?” Gwi asked Prime Minister Im. “He still dare to ask for reward even after watching them run away.”

“The town has started to question about your heroic stories. They are saying that your acts are self-fabricated.”

Gwi turned around and stared back at Prime Minister Im with an angry look.

“You won’t be able to control all the people with just violence.” Prime Minister Im continued.

“No. There’s no need for me to find the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter