eighteen: My Name is Alice

Our Wonderland
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Mr Reid." The principal looked up from her paper work when the door opened abruptly and a panting male came in. "I-I apologise for my tardiness!" The man was quick to apologise.

 

The female adjusted her glasses before montioning him to sit down in front of her desk. "I'm glad you could make it, Mr Reid."

 

"Thank you, Mrs Jones." Austin said before taking a seat. He could already guess what was in store for him when he received a sudden call from his daughter's school. He was in the middle of his work when Mrs Jones chose the perfect time to interrupt. It resulted into the customer leaving without signing the contract.

 

He kept on rubbing his sweaty palms against his jeans while Mrs Jones placed a file neatly down in front of her. He could already see their surname written boldy on the file. "Do you know what this is?"

 

"I could guess.. but I really hope it's not the case." Austin said in a joking manner though he didn't find the matter funny at all. It was quite embarassing too since Mrs Jones didn't even need to tell him the reason for his coming anymore. He already knew that it had something to do with his daughter's behaviour at school. Mrs Jones shot him a meaningful look before tapping the file lightly, which became fuller and fuller by time.

 

"Do you know what Alice did today?" Mrs Jones asked.

 

Austin stared from afar at his daughter, who was staring at nowhere specific. She would miss another week at school. Although, Mrs Jones didn't seem to be a huge fan of Alice, she thankfully didn't kick her out yet, though she had enough reasons to do so.

 

Her cheek was swollen while her hair was tousled. She was crossing her arms as she waited for her dad. Austin sighed when he took in her appearance before deciding to finally walk up to her.

 

"What did you do today, huh?" Austin asked tiredly. 

 

Hyunah glanced at her father before looking into the distance again. She too had enough of these talks with him, yet she still finds herself talking to him almost every week about her behaviour. Austin looked more than tired. Running around at work and then doing the same at her school. He had all rights to say he was exhausted.

 

"Alice." He called for her attention once again. 

 

"Alice." He repeated once more when he still haven't gotten a response from her. He was about to turn to her when she turned to him. He finally saw her other bruised cheek, which was about to turn lilac. 

 

"I thought it was fun to punch the crap out of Simon from my neighbour class." She said instanly just when he was about to touch her cheek. "So, I just did that." Hyunah said before turning away from her father.

 

Austin knew her well enough to know that, that wasn't the truth. Yet, she continued to lie to him like that. Pretending that he didn't know her at all but he did. He was her father after all. Maybe not by blood but a father bound was stronger than blood and a piece of paper claiming that they weren't related. Austin knew her well enough to know that his daughter wasn't as a problem child as everyone thought of her. 

 

"What did he do to you?" Austin asked instead. "Did he hurt you?" He didn't sound like he was mad at her and Hyunah would always wonder why he never raised his voice at her. She only caused trouble but he never goes as far as say the words she feared her entire life.

 

It was Austin's worried voice alone that made the girl blink at him with her b tears that were threatening to fall anytime soon. Her eyes were red as she stared at him. She was just a misunderstood child, which no one bothered to understand. And maybe that's why Hyunah trusted Austin so much despite their different blood. He was trying to win her over even after her several tries to push him away from her. But not because she hated him but because she loved him. She didn't wanted to make him regret his decision in taking her in. Although, she finds herself doing just that. 

 

Austin startled when he felt Hyunah's arms wrapping around his waist. She had clutched onto him while weeping to herself. He could hear her murmur words but failed to understand them. 

 

 

 

Mr Reid stood there in his casual outfit. Nothing wrong about that. Yet, he earned the most looks from the passerbys. They stared at his unusual black hair. He was already pretty old and already pass the age to have a midlife crisis, which explains the looks he had gotten from the people around him. The fact that he was waiting in front of a school wasn't helping either. He was scratching his nape awkwardly while waiting for his daughter. 

 

He hadn't been in town the last few days due to work but finally made it back with a big surprise. Hopefully it was a pleasant surprise for his daughter. He was quite excited to see her reaction too. His decision to color his hair was maybe done out of a whim to some people but he didn't regret it. He wanted his daughter to feel that she belonged to this family.

 

"Dad?" It was a hesistant call after him. "Dad?"

 

Austin turned immediately around when he heard her first. He was smiling at her at first before his smile left him as soon as he saw the changed appearance of her. Her hair was a lot lighter than the last time he saw her. It was a dirty blood, which didn't cover her black roots at all. It was a mishap of hair dyeing. Unlike Austin's hair, who had gotten his hair done in a neighboury town. However, they remained surprised only for a while before laughing out loud to themself. They might have looked like lunatics but that was probably Hyunah's favourite memory out of her past. Her favourite father-daughter moment.

 

 

"Say.. why did you colour your hair?" Hyunah heard Xiumin suddenly ask when Hyunah took her sweaty wig down. They were currently in the changing room with Hyunah somehow managing to cut Xiumin's workout regime shorter than he planned at first. He complained but other than that didn't resist much. 

 

"You are only asking that now?" She was quick to retort.

 

Xiumin shrugged merely to which Hyunah replied with a scoff. "If you're not interested in knowing why bother asking?"

 

"I do wanna know." Xiumin argued. 

 

"Because I wanted to color my hair?" Hyunah pointed out. Xiumin stared a little longer at her before shrugging. The weird feeling he got a few days earlier now completely gone. He didn't feel weird around her anymore. But that could possibly result from the sweat that dripped down from her forehead. Her cheeks were flushed. She didn't look attractive to him.

 

"That's it?" He hummed.

 

"That's it." Hyunah affixed her response before turning to him. "Anyways, turn around." 

 

"Huh?" Xiumin wondered absentmindely while he packed his sport bag. 

 

"I want to change, idiot. Now turn around!" Hyunah said. She would normally go with her work out clothes but she had to go to a meeting right after, which is why she had to change into a fresh set of clothes. And she had to be quick. She was after all in a male changing room, although Xiumin locked the door - which he wasn't allowed to - she still feared that a male may come in.

 

As soon as Xiumin heard the word change clothes began he to redden. He blinked at her for a moment while she detangled her hair from the wig cap she was wearing, revealing her long hair underneath. 

 

"Xiumin!" She called out to him.

 

"Sorry!" He snapped out of it and turned immediately around. It was a good thing that they were at the gym or else she would have noticed his red face. Looks like he was still not over the fact that Hyunah was a girl. 

 

***

 

"You know.." 

 

"You don't need to smile so much." Suho grumbled. He was resting his head against the palm of his hand as he stared at the female in the drivers seat. 

 

Hyunah turned to him with a big grin despite what Suho said. It annoyed him as much as she intended to. "Why not?"

 

"And you complain about us being s?" Suho added before getting out of the van. She didn't even get to say something but she was okey with that. Having half of them around was way better and there was nothing to argue about. 

 

Hyunah was about to turn to D.O, who was about to get out when she felt a light hit from behind her head. "Hey, chesire cat. Don't enter my room." 

 

She shot Chanyeol a glare when she sat up to face him. He smirked at her when he grabbed after his backpack. He closed the door after he got off and walked towards her. 

 

"Why would I enter your room?" Hyunah frowned. Although he had a good reason to say that. "I don't know. Just had a feeling, ya know." Chanyeol added before leaning in front of her window. 

 

"Don't get inside my room." He winked at her before walking finally away from the van. 

 

"What a jerk.." Hyunah muttered but unknown to her a smile made it's way onto her lips. 

 

"Oh, crap... Kyung." Hyunah sighed at the thought. She had missed to talk to him again and now he will be gone for at least a few days. 

 

Although she had no idea what she exactly did wrong for his sudden mood change, she still had the urge to talk to him. In her eyes wasn't he someone to behave like that without a reason. He was always sweet to her. He didn't had moods like the others. However, for now she couldn't do much and decided to drive home. 

 

On her way back to the dorm decided she to drop by at the agency before heading home. She still had to confirm the next week with the agency. They were almost done with the preparations for their comeback and therefore had more on than usual. After finishing the filming for their music video would it be celebrated with a concert. It didn't sound like much but thanks to the company had she to run to several places. 

 

"What does he want now?" Hyunah muttered to herself when she took a glance at her phone. She parked the van besides the other cars in the parking lot before grabbing her phone from the passengers seat. She got out of her seat and closed the door behind her. "Yes?" 

 

"Didn't we just see each other?" She clamped her phone between her shoulder and head before sliding the door next to her's open. She frowned before reaching forward to the seat, where Chanyeol was sitting at earlier. "You mean your beloved notebook I can't take a look at?" 

 

"Yeah, it's in my hands." She said and was about to flip it open when Chanyeol's shrill voice stopped her from doing just that. "I didn't take a look. But do you seriously expect me to just bring it to your room?"

 

"I'm just joking." Hyunah rolled her eyes before heaving a sigh. She placed the notebook back onto the seat and leaned against the door. "You can trust me on this." 

 

Chanyeol bit his bottom lip before sighing. "I do." 

 

"I have you in palms you know that?" Hyunah smirked upon hearing the seriousness in his voice. 

 

" you." 

 

"Chill. I won't take a look at it." Hyunah giggled before hanging up on him. However, she glanced at the notebook before shutting the door. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter