nine: Reality Check

Our Wonderland
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Xiumin couldn't even feel his head hitting the ground, all he could notice was Hyunah's desperate tries in keeping him awake before completely knocking out. Everything had out including the image of his worried manager.

 

"Could someone call the ambulance?!" Hyunah began to shake him when she saw that his eye lids fell close. The others who heard and saw the ruckus were only standing on the sides and watched her. A act that got really on her nerves if you ask her. 

 

"Minseok! Minseok!" Hyunah shook his frail body like crazy until she felt a hand resting on her shoulder.

 

"It's alright, Hyunah." She glanced up only to see Jaehyun kneeling down beside her. He took her arms gently away from Xiumin's shoulders before picking him up from the ground. Hyunah looked up at him while he nodded towards the exit of the caféteria.

 

"Let's bring him to a quieter place." Jaehyun said before walking away with the unconscious Xiumin in his arms. Hyunah gawked after him before quickly picking Xiumin's things up while leaving the shards of the former glass and bowl behind. Just when she was about to leave caught she the gaze of Chanyeol. It was the usual expression she always saw on him. Boredom. Utter boredom. Even with Xiumin fainting right in front of his eyes. 

 

Jaehyun had brought Xiumin to a empty practise room. Fortunately, with a couch which was big enough for Xiumin to lay down, that is. Hyunah followed suit and sat down beside Xiumin while Jaehyun went and got a bottle of water from the little fridge in the corner. 

 

"Can't we bring him to the hospital?" Hyunah asked. The worry in her eyes was evident. 

 

Jaehyun glanced at her before holding the cold water bottle against Xiumin's temple. "He'll be fine." He said simply before looking at Hyunah.

 

"But let's talk about you." Jaehyun said and looked at her. For once forgetting that there was still a unconscious Xiumin. "Why were you freaking out so much?" 

 

Hyunah was still staring at Xiumin's limp body until she heard Jaehyun's question. Did she hear him right just now? Or were her Korean skills failing on her once again? She glanced up to confirm whatever she thought she was hearing. And she was right. Jaehyun was blaming her. The look in his eyes told her so. As if it was wrong for her to worry about Xiumin's state.

 

"Excuse me?" She asked, half a chuckle and half a unbelievable look in her eyes. 

 

Jaehyun closed his eyes momentarily before replying with a tired sigh, "This will happen a lot." 

 

"Are you sure that you are capable of this job?" 

 

Hyunah frowned, "What are you talking about? You were the one who wanted me to do this job!" 

 

"Because I thought you were strong. But if you crumble just like that you won't be able to help them." Jaehyun said. 

 

"Are you even listening to what you are saying? Xiumin fainted. He freaking fainted! Why are you treating it so lightly!?" Hyunah couldn't help but stare at Jaehyun. She certainly would never understand what went through his thick head. He was always the efficient manager in her eyes who was capable of doing all her manager tasks within a day but what was exactly the price for being a perfect manager? 

 

Jaehyun sighed once more before he returned his attention back to Hyunah. "I'm only saying it for your sake. It's better if you don't worry too much." 

 

"I'm not. I'm only doing my job as his manager." The crease between her brows never disappearing as she stared at him.

 

Jaehyun didn't even bother answering her and shook only his head. 

 

Hyunah snorted in disbelief. "Call me thick-headed or whatever you want. Even if he is mean to me. I'd still bring him to the hospital and if you won't do it I will-" Hyunah shot up from her seat and was about to pull Xiumin up when she felt a grip around her wrist. 

 

"If you do that I will have to fire you." Jaehyun said as he stared at her. "He signed a contract with us." 

 

"But that doesn't include his health." Hyunah hissed. 

 

"But his and his group mates reputation. Xiumin can't go to the hospital. And that's final." Jaehyun said and let go of Hyunah's arm when he couldn't feel her struggle anymore. "Even he knows it." 

 

"And what if something serious happens? Not that what happened to Xiumin now wasn't." She asked with sarcasm. 

 

"We're not inhuman, Hyunah."

 

"But inhuman enough not to drive him to the hospital." Hyuna retorted. She watched how a faint crease appeared in between his brows before he straightened his expression again. 

 

"We would if it was serious but-" Jaehyun nodded then towards Xiumin. "ask him if you want to blame someone." 

 

"They all signed a contract and they all have to keep up with our standards. The idols before them did and the idols after them will too."

 

***

 

Xiumin groaned when he finally felt the cold bottle against his temple. He blinked at the ceiling first before finally looking to the side. Hyunah was looking at him while holding the bottle against the side of his head.

 

"How are you feeling?" 

 

Xiumin raised his hand slowly to rub the sore part of his head before sitting slowly up. "What happened?" 

 

"You fainted in the caféteria earlier." She said while watching him putting his feet onto the ground. "Are you alright, Minseok?" 

 

"Why shouldn't I be?" He asked before looking for his sports bag. 

 

"We can drive home if you want? I can tell Taewoo and your vocal teacher that you won't be able to come today." 

 

Xiumin glanced at her before shaking his head. "I'm fine. No need to." He said when he finally found his sports bag. He picked the bag up before standing up. He staggered and Hyunah tried to help him but he pushed her hand only away. "I'm okey." 

 

"This is not the first time, right?" She asked when he stood in the middle of the practise room. 

 

But all Xiumin did was glancing back at her before finally leaving the room. 

 

For once did she hope to hear one of the boys making fun of her. Xiumin could even make fun of her poor attempt to cover her black eye. Maybe then the tight knot in her stomach would disappear. 

 

"He looked sad." She commented.

 

*** 

 

The nurse looked unsure. Hyunah knew then that she didn't like the woman. She looked just like any mean aunt in a movie who didn't want to help the heroine. "I'll have to check with Dr Ji if that's fine with him." She said and raised a brow at Hyunah before turning back to her computer. 

 

Hyunah, however, pursed her lips together before storming pass the woman. The woman glanced up when she noticed that Hyunah walked away from her sight. "W-wait! Where are you-" 

 

"Hey!" 

 

Hyunah started then to run the hallway down until she stood in front of the office of Dr Ji. She started knocking like crazy on the door. She glanced only momentarily to the side to see the nurse from earlier bumping into a eating dare. 

 

She opened the door in a swift moment when she realised that the nurse was busy with recovering from her direct hit. She had entered the office of Dr Ji and closed the door behind her. Hyunah found herself the next moment in front of a man with raised brows. He was glancing at her for a moment before turning his attention back to the patient file he was holding. 

 

"As rude as always aren't we, Ms Reid?" Dr Ji asked while still flipping through the chart.

 

Hyunah coughed quietly before making her way over to his desk in front of the windows. She never told him that and probably never will but the way that the sun lights were shining through the venetians behind him made him really look authoritative. Not that he didn't look like a serious man before. He did. He was a tall and lean build man though definitely a decade older than Hyunah was. 

 

He glanced up when she was still not saying a word. "I'm 15 minutes into my break already. If you don't have anything to-" 

 

"I do! I'm..-" Hyunah coughed once again when she felt Dr Ji's haunting eyes. "I apologise."

 

"Wait, why are you spending your break in your office?" Hyunah asked then.

 

He raised a questionable brow at her as he leaned forward in his chair. "Did you come all the way here to ask me how I'm spending my break?"

 

Just before Hyunah could form her real question was the door abruptly opened. The nurse from before had finally tracked her down. She was glaring at Hyunah for a split second before looking at Dr Ji. 

 

"Dr Ji! I'm so sorry!"

 

Dr Ji, however, held his hand up. "It's fine. You may leave." He said before turning his attention back to Hyunah. 

 

"Ms Reid?" 

 

"But, Sir-" Dr Ji ce more to the nurse. But his usual expressionless eyes turned into a frown when she dared to interrupt him. And if Dr Ji didn't like something then it were definitely people who were cutting him off. 

 

"I apologise, Sir." The nurse quickly bowed when she felt his stare and left with that. 

 

Hyunah grunted when she saw the nurse leave. "You may leave also if you don't tell me what you're reason in coming to me is." S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter