Sing with me

Same, but Different
My working day ends as the concert starts but with a special pass, I stay to watch the performances. Only two songs in but I’m already entranced. At an untimely point where Bangtan was just ending their first talk session, my phone vibrates. I excuse myself to a quiet corner.
 
“’Sup?” I say into the phone, not bothering to look at the Caller ID. As expected, my best friend, Jisoo, shouts over the receiver.
 
“Where are you?” She asks, the noise on her side of the line comparable to mine.
 
“Work.”
 
“Come to Club Rose,” Soo tells me abruptly. “Guys got invited for a gig here and they’re in desperate need of a vocal.”
 
“And you’re calling me because…?” She knows very well what has happened over the past year.
 
“Because you’re the best there ever is and we need you!”
 
“Soo…”
 
“Just come over, Byeol. They’re planned for 10PM. You have an hour and a half to get your down here.” And she hangs up. I curse under my breath. Squinting around in the dark, I find the exit sign and unwillingly leave the hall. Outside, I look up Maps on directions to the club from here and find that I have a direct bus option. Judging from the time estimate, I would reach there with about thirty minutes to spare. Locating the bus stop, I take my time walking over. The bus reaches about the same time as I do and boarding, I plug in my earphones for the hour-long journey.
 
Soo waits for me at the bus stop upon alighting and before I can even compose myself, she half-drags me over to the club. There, she passes me a simple white dress with long lacy sleeves and a pair of matching heels. I hold the dress up to myself and see that the dress falls just above my knees. Soo goes on to brief me on what songs the band has planned.
 
“Soo, wait a second,” I stop her fussing as second thoughts dominate my mind. “I’m not sure I really want to do this.”
 
She waves me off. “Of course you want to do it. Besides, it’s just this once.” Giving in, I nod, and she squeals.
 
“But only because your aegyo is making want to vomit,” I joke. With the clothes in my hand, I navigate around the all-too-familiar place for the changing room. Dressed, Soo passes me her makeup bag but I refuse. She doesn’t push me further. The guys choose this time to appear from God knows where and scares the hell out of me.
 
“Nice to see y’all too,” I greet as I roll my eyes.
 
“And nice to see that your eyeballs are still intact,” one of the band mates, Woong, says sarcastically.
 
“You two love birds,” Ray butts in. “Arguing every time you see each other.” I pfft him.
 
“Noona!” The band’s maknae, drummer and also Soo’s little brother, Jiseob, shouts from down the hallway.
 
“Seob!” I ruffle his already messy beyond hope hair. And talking about hair, I let mine down from its bun and finger comb through it. As I straighten my parting, Woong helps soothe out the rest of my hair.
 
“There,” Woong comes back in front of me when he’s done. Taking out a necklace from his pocket, he passes it to me. On a sleek silver chain hangs a single angel wing, the band’s icon. I push the accessory back to him, and he frowns in understanding of my action. This will really be the last time, I chant to myself.
 
“Guys, you’re up in five!” A worker from the club calls out. Woong raises a hand to signal that we’ll be out soon. With a hand on my back, he leads me out. The others follow behind.
 
“And next up, we have rising stars of the industry, The Cupids!”
 
On cue, I walk up to the stage to take my place in the front. Woong takes the other mic stand beside me. Seob heads for the drums, Soo the keyboard and Ray his guitar. Hesitantly, I place a hand on the mic. Woong places a comforting hand on my shoulder and let it rest there for a split second longer until Seob starts counting. The music starts, and Woong takes the lead.
 
“I remember what you wore on the first day
You came into my life and I thought hey
You know, this could be something.
 
“’Cause everything you do and words you say
You know that it all takes my breath away
And now I’m left with nothing.”
 
I brace myself for the next verse. Not losing any skill, I harmonise Woong’s voice.
 
“So maybe it’s true that I can’t live without you
And maybe two is better than one.”
 
I relish in the song, enjoying every note and word I sing. Not realising how much I’ve missed singing, the song passes by quickly and soon comes to an end. Woong and I look at each other for the last line,
 
“There’s so much time to figure out the rest of my life
But I’ve figured out with all that’s said and done
Two is better than one
Two, is better than one.”
 
“Thank you,” Woong finishes off nicely as he takes my hand and we bow. Not letting go of my hand, he pulls me along as we exit the stage. The club owner ajusshi pats my shoulder as he climbs up past us.
 
“I’ve just received news that we have very special guests with us tonight,” he announces. We pause at the bottom of the stage to listen. “Do we have the honour to invite Bangtan Boys up on stage for a short performance?”
 
Bangtan? Scanning the crowd, I spot the group sitting close to the back. Dressed in casual clothes, they blend quite nicely into the sea of normal people. The crowd screams and cheers for the group. Standing up, the idols bow awkwardly at the unexpected attention. The hyungs volunteer the maknae and obliging, he comes up on stage. Ajusshi calls for the instrumentalists in our band.
 
“What song are you singing?” Seob asks, his tone full of scepticism.
 
“What song can you play?” Jungkook returns the question and I feel tension building up among the guys. Being the leader he is, Woong steps up.
 
“Let’s do Sofa,” he suggests, a song he knows both our band and Jungkook knows. The guys nod in agreement. As our instrumentalists take their places, Jungkook waves at me.
 
“Noona!” He calls. Woong and Soo look at me quizzically. I shrug at them.
 
“Yeah?” I drop honorifics, taking advantage of the whole noona thing.
 
“You game for a duet with me?”

 
Song: Two is Better Than One by Boys Like Girls