Converse high

Same, but Different
To text, or not to text… I agonise over this as I stare his contact down. I’ve been home for about twenty minutes or so but I still can’t decide if I should let Rap Mon know.
 
From: Mon
[Reply if you’re home already. Just a dot is fine.]
 
The notification from Rap Mon’s message almost makes me throw my phone in surprise. What is this guy, a ghost? Hesitantly, I click open my keyboard. I contemplate sending just a dot but I’m worried it would make me seem too indifferent.
 
To: Mon
[I got home fine, thank you.]
 
I hit the send button and throw my phone into the cushions swallowing my sofa. It rings with a notification again but I ignore it and head for shower.
 
That night, I lie in bed unable to fall asleep.
 
From: Mon
[That’s a relief. Goodnight, Byeol-ssi. Let’s meet again sometime.]
 
A major part of me is telling me I don’t really want to see him again but that remaining small part is getting excited just at the thought of him. Internal conflicts… After a long while of stoning, I finally drift into a dreamless sleep.
 
My alarm rings at 7AM sharp, screaming at me to get my lazy out of bed. I received a phone call last night informing me of an ad-hoc job opportunity today. The agency had said something about simple coordinating. I figured there wouldn’t be many chores to do so I agreed. I’m supposed to be at some photo studio by 9AM. Rolling out of bed, I take my time preparing – I woke up earlier just so I wouldn’t have to rush. I’m out of the house by 8:15AM, just in time for the half hour journey down town.
 
“Hello?” I peek into the photo studio wondering if I found the right place. A nice looking lady waves at me and I enter, bowing respectfully.
 
“You must be Byeol,” she says and I nod. Her first instructions are for me to put my things down and join the team for breakfast, after which I’m tasked to organise the studio. For the next hour or so, I stack emptied boxes, set up props and even sweep the floor. Clients are arranged to come at noon so until then, I continue to clean the dressing room and arrange clothes for the photoshoot. By 11:30AM, there isn’t a corner of the studio I haven’t stepped into. My manager gives me a break as the clients come in early.
 
“Kids, what should we eat for lunch later?” A familiar voice floats through the studio into the back pantry where I’m resting.
 
“But hyung,” comes another strangely familiar voice. “We just ate breakfast.” This voice I definitely recognise.
 
“Byeol!” My manager calls for me just as I decide to confirm the owners of the familiar voices. Just as well, I think to myself as I head outside. An annoyingly cute face pops up right in front of me as I emerge from the pantry.
 
“Hello,” I greet as I playfully push him out of my way. Outside, I bow to the other members of Bangtan.
 
“Could you run over to the building opposite to get some more clothes?” My manager instructs me before anyone else can say anything. Obeying, I hurriedly run over to where my manager told me a full clothes rack awaits me. She told me to just bring the clothes so I do, taking all the clothes down with the hangers still on. With the amount of clothes, I decide to go in a couple of batches. Gathering half of the pile in my arms, I proceed to slowly climb down the two flights of stairs, which is quite hard considering how I can’t see my feet. Halfway down, the horror plays itself out as I miss a step and almost slide the rest of the way down. Almost, because someone catches me just before I fall.
 
“Careful,” a chiding voice echoes in the stairway. Peering over the towering stack of clothes, I spy Rap Mon standing there, one arm reached across me and holding onto the railing while the other supporting my back. I swallow saliva and clear my throat as I steady myself.
 
“Thank you…” I manage to mumble. Weight is lifted off my arms as Rap Mon helps me with some of the clothes.
 
“Let’s go,” he says before taking off before me. With my short legs, I have to speed walk to catch up with him. On the way down, a colleague runs up probably for the next batch of clothes. Back at the studio, I take the clothes back from Rap Mon and hastily hang them up on the rack in the dressing room. The second batch arrives just as I’m done sorting the first.
 
Behind me, the guys play around with one another. The dressing room suddenly feels like some kind of amusement park filled with laughter and joy.
 
“You can’t break my record,” I hear Jungkook boasting to Taehyung.
 
“At Piano Tiles?” I cut in, dusting my off from sitting on the floor.
 
“You good at this game?” Taehyung asks while in the middle of a very serious session of the game. He pokes at the screen like he’s trying to break it.
 
“You want to bet with me, then?” Jungkook initiates.
 
“What are we betting on?”
 
“Lunch!” Jin joins in, overly-excited for his next meal.
 
“Call!” Jungkook and I say in unison. Pulling out my phone from my back pocket, I open the app.
 
“What song are we playing?” I ask, flexing my thumbs. The maknae suggests a song and I agree. Taehyung starts us off.
 
“Whenever you’re ready,” he tells us. I click on start and my fingers automatically move to the beat. Three crowns and a long while later, the game is still ongoing. I smile when I finally hear the ‘ding’ of a wrong move from Jungkook. Still continuing, I play until I break my current record.
 
“I admit defeat,” Jungkook says just as someone comes in to get the guys. Rap Mon, who’s been quite this whole time, stares at me as he exits. In a casual t-shirt and jeans, I suddenly feel so exposed. My toes curl up in my red Converse high tops.
 
My manager lets me watch as the photoshoot session starts. There won’t be anything else for me to do until the next set so I’m free until then. Craving for coffee, I take orders from the crew and the Bangtan guys before heading over to the café next door.
 
“Welcome!” The cashier greets. The café is near empty and there are no other workers on the floor. As I get closer to the cashier, I feel a shiver down my spine.
 
“Why are you in every café I go into?” I ask the boy at the cashier, the same one from my concert job.
 
“Don’t people call this… fate?” He winks at me. Ignoring his comment, I order the drinks. This time, I snatch the buzzer away quickly before he gets any chances. I sit in a corner out of his sight as I wait for the drinks. The buzzer buzzes thankfully soon. Collecting my drinks, I dart back into the studio.