Hot latte

Same, but Different
It’s the first day of a new school term and I’m sitting in front of my dresser looking like a zombie. After reaching home yesterday, I literally just sat on the sofa spacing out until I was tired and fell asleep. But then I got hungry around nighttime so I cooked myself instant noodles, ate and spaced out until I fell asleep again. Lucky I’d set my alarms the day before. If not, I definitely would’ve overslept.
 
Sighing, I stare at the dark circles under my eyes in the mirror before deciding to conceal everything with makeup. I leave house a bit earlier with extra time for a coffee.
 
“You’re awake already, right?” Soo calls to ask just as I exit my apartment building. Despite what happened yesterday, Soo is still my classmate and best friend. As for the other guys… is this where our fate ends?
 
“Already leaving house,” I tell her. “I’m grabbing a coffee on the way. Want one?” Spotting my bus in the distance, I run to catch up with it and reach the bus stop just in time.
 
“Hot chocolate,” Soo orders. Tapping my card, I board the bus.
 
“Okay. See you in class.” And I hang up. The café is just one bus stop before the school so I alight there, turning the corner into one of my favourite cafés.
 
“One iced latte and a hot chocolate,” I order without looking up, focused on pulling my wallet out of my bag.
 
“Iced early in the morning?” The cashier starts small talk, attracting my attention. I glare at the familiar slimy looking dude.
 
“MYOB.” I pay the exact amount and move to the collection point without another look at him. Is he the stalker? Why is he in almost every café I go into? This is surely too much of a coincidence. As I receive my order, my phone rings.
 
“Hello,” I speak, not bothering to check caller ID.
 
“Cold drinks are not good for mornings,” Rap Mon’s voice comes through the receiver. Holding the cups in my hands and neck crooked to hold the phone, I turn all around.
 
“How do you know?” I ask just as the bell on the door rings and Rap Mon’s 180cm frame walks in. I smile awkwardly while maintaining my awkward pose. I look around for an empty table to put the cups down for a second but the café is in full house. Rap Mon comes up and takes a cup from me.
 
“Keep your phone first,” he tells me, laughter in his voice.
 
“You’re in a good mood,” I note as I throw my phone into my bag and take the cup back from him.
 
“I guess you do have that kind of power,” he says, confusing me. I raise a brow at him. “Should we sit for a while?” He asks before hurrying to a just emptied table. I follow behind him.
 
“What schedule do you have around here?” I ask, sipping my latte.
 
“Iced drinks in the morning really aren't good,” Rap Mon frowns at me. “It’s a small performance in the college beside.”
 
“Really?” My eyes widen. That’s my college but I haven’t heard anything about it.
 
“Yeah, why? Do you go to school there?” Rap Mon snatches away my latte and takes a sip.
 
“Mhmm. But oppa, aren’t you going to get your own drink?” I watch the level of my drink decrease in horror. My coffee!
 
“Oppa…?” Rap Mon looks at me funny.
 
“Hmm?” I look up at him. “Oh, I mean, it seemed pretty rude of me to be calling you by name when you’re so many years older. Should I change back…?”
 
“No, no. I was just surprised by the sudden change.” He smiles at me. And continues drinking my coffee.
 
“So I can call you oppa?” I ask pulling back my cup that is now only a quarter full.
 
“Whatever you want,” he says before taking my cup with him as he stands. I watch as he approaches the counter and makes an order. He finishes my drink in the time his order comes out.
 
“Drink this instead,” he tells me, placing a cup of hot latte on the table.
 
“Thank you?” I’m not good at drinking hot drinks though…
 
“Come on,” Rap Mon nods towards the door. “Is it almost time for class?”
 
I steal a glance at my watch: 8:40AM. Class starts in 20 minutes. “Oh .”
 
“We’ll bring you over,” he says, pointing to the van outside. I reject his offer.
 
“It’s okay. There’s a shortcut from here,” I tell him. “Besides, you’re probably heading to the opposite end of campus.” And there would be too many fans around for me to just jump out of Bangtan’s van randomly. Rap Mon holds the door open for me as we exit the café.
 
“You sure?” He confirms with me again. The door of the van opens and Jungkook pops his head out, waving when he sees me. I wave back.
 
“I’m going that way,” I say, pointing into a small road off the main one. Bowing, I greet him goodbye before running all the way to class.
 
“Is that a hot drink?” Soo asks when I plop down in the sit beside her, eyeing my latte.
 
“Long story.” My face heats up at the thought of starting my day with Rap Mon. The more you get to know him, the more he seems like an okay guy.
 
“Isn’t he?” A sharp girly voice pierces my thoughts. My attention is brought to Park Minkyung, the self-proclaimed campus flower and absolute . She has this weird look on her face as she chats with her clique of equally dumb es.
 
“I’m going to get an autograph from Jungkook oppa!” Minion 1 declares. I almost gag at ‘oppa’. Excuse you but Jungkook has got to be at least two years younger.
 
“No one touches my Namjoon oppa,” Minkyung warns, a determined look in her eyes. I peel my eyeballs away from them before my eyes can rot.
 
“Bangtan’s coming,” Soo says.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Are you going?”
 
“Why should I?” I look up at Soo. “You know how much I hate crowds.”
 
“But Rap Monster will be there.” She elbows me while wriggling her eyes.
 
“Already saw him,” I whisper because the professor walks in at this point.
 
“Ladies, I know you are all excited about the mini concert, but please try to pay attention. We’ll be discussing marketing strategies in today’s lesson, please flip your textbooks to page 263…”


A/N: "Oppa~" /wriggles eyebrows. This is where the real fun begins!