Follow your heart

Same, but Different
The guys settled for a quiet traditional food restaurant just around the corner. Led to a round table, the nine of us – including the manager who came after introductions, huddle around together. I introduced myself separately to the manager awkwardly earlier but he seems sceptical of me. Rap Mon had gotten an earful from him just now for inviting a random girl to dinner. Of course, the manager did this thinking I wasn’t listening but…
 
“Can I take your orders?” The waitress comes over with a notepad, ready to write whatever we order. The guys – manager included – tell the waitress what they want while I frustrate over what to eat.
 
“Two chicken soups,” Rap Mon beside me orders.
 
“You’re eating two servings?” Jin asks but Mon tilts his head at me. He takes the menu away from under my grasp and closes it.
 
“Hey, I was still looking at it.” I frown at him.
 
“You’re going to end up getting chicken soup anyway,” he says matter-of-factly. That’s true… but how did he know?
 
“How did you know?” I voice out my questions, unable to hold them in anymore. “This, and my habit of aimless walking, too.”
 
“I…”
 
“He used to follow you around for a bit,” comes another voice not from the table.
 
“Woong?” My eyes widen at the surprise encounter. “What are you doing here?” Noticing a dampening of the atmosphere, I pull Woong outside where we stand in silence for a while.
 
“That guy,” Woong starts. “I was wondering why he looked so familiar but now I remember.”
 
“I’m listening.” I don’t know if I should be curious of his statement or annoyed at the fact he said that in front of so many people. No matter what, Rap Mon is still an idol, not to mention that his entire group was there.
 
“He was there at every busking event.”
 
“What?”
 
“It’s true.” This comes from Rap Monster, standing not very far away.
 
“Rap Mon-ssi.” I don’t know how to react. “But… why?”
 
He takes a side-glance at Woong before turning to look at me. “I told you just now; you have a very beautiful voice. It was just by chance I was near one of your busker event, but I was so smitten by your voice I couldn’t just hear it once again and be over it.”
 
“Still doesn’t explain it,” I tell him despite blushing inwardly at the compliment.
 
“I don’t know how to explain this without sounding weird, but honestly… I just always happened to be there.”
 
“That’s weird.” Woong’s voice brought my attention back to him. For a while, I had forgotten about him.
 
“Why are you still here?” I smack him. “Go back in.”
 
“I have a right to know too, Byeol.”
 
“Shut up and go inside,” I speak softly but sternly. Knowing my temper, Woong goes inside without another word.
 
“You don’t believe me, do you?” Rap Mon asks, an undecipherable emotion clouding over his handsome features. My silence answers his question. But come to think of it, there really is no way for him to be stalking me. As an idol preparing for his debut, where would he have the time to do something so ridiculous?
 
“What else do you know?” I ask instead. Rap Mon seems to consider my question quite seriously.
 
“You sing ballads, but prefer to listen to rap music.”
 
I gasp. This is something even Namjoon never knew of. As if answering my doubts, he pulls out an mp3 from his pocket.
 
“You left this at the concert hall yesterday,” he explains, passing me the music player. Flipping it around in my hand, I confirm that it’s mine. I’ve been using my phone for music so I haven’t noticed that this went missing.  I look up at Rap Mon and for the first time look properly into his eyes.
 
He’s being sincere, my heart is telling me. But it’s too much of a coincidence, my mind rebuts. What if Namjoon sent him to me? No, there’s no such thing as fate. The more my heart and mind contradicts one another, the more conflicted I feel.
 
Always follow your heart, Namjoon would tell me. And so I do.
 
“Let’s go back in,” I tell Rap Mon. “I’m hungry.”
 
After dinner, my new friends offer to send me home but I reject their offer. Woong had left earlier so that option was out too. As if their worry for me wasn’t enough, Rap Mon even called for a cab for me. It arrives just before their manager pulls the van over behind. The guys flock over and climb in but Rap Mon stays rooted in front of me.
 
“Pass me your phone for a second?” Rap Mon says, an open palm outstretched. I hold out my phone halfway but before I can think to retract it, he takes my phone and keys in something.
 
“What is this?” I ask when I see a new contact under his name on my screen.
 
“Text me when you get home.” And without giving a chance to reply, he turns and hops onto the van. Just before he closes the sliding door, I bow them goodbye. Only when the van leaves do I climb into the cab.

 
A/N: Another two chapters tonight! *Cheers*