Brothers

Same, but Different
My alarm rings at 6AM sharp. Groaning, I feel for my phone on the bedside table but the sound goes off before I can reach it. Must be the auto snooze, which means I have another five minutes to sleep. I turn into my bed and pull the blanket over my head. A weight suddenly falls on my waist and I freeze. My heart rate increase.
 
What is this? I squeeze my eyes tightly and open it, thinking that this is a dream. Staring into the darkness under my blanket, the weight is still there, with the addition of breathing on my neck. I scream, rolling off the bed. I grab my bolster and hold it up in front of me like a weapon. A messy head of blond peeks over, and a familiar pair of eyes blinks at me.
 
“What…” Noticing me, his sleepy eyes shoot open. “Byeol?”
 
“Namjoon oppa! Why… what… how…” I fall on my side onto the floor, hugging the bolster to my racing heart. I think about how I almost died of a cardiac arrest.
 
“What am I doing here?” Namjoon sits up and rakes a hand through his hair. He rubs his eyes and looks around the room. “Oh…”
 
“Oh?!” I throw my bolster at him. “Why are you in my room!”
 
Namjoon lazily falls back into bed again, lying on his side to face me. “Must’ve been sleepwalking.”
 
“You…!” Annoyed at his casualness, I pull myself up and turn towards the door.
 
“Where are you going?”
 
“Prepare for school.” I leave the door open as I exit, cold air from outside rushes into the room as I kept the living room windows slightly open last night. By habit, I walk past the other room without as much as a glance at it. I turn on the heater in the living room before proceeding with my daily morning routine. It isn’t until I have shampoo in my hair that I remember my clothes for the day is still hanging on my wardrobe… in my room… where Namjoon is. .
 
Nevertheless, I finish my shower quickly before wrapping a towel around my body. Opening the door, I stick my head out to observe the surrounding.
 
“Oppa?” I call in the direction of my room.
 
“Hmm?” Comes his immediate reply, not from the room but by the door. My eyes widen and I hide back behind the door.
 
“Could you, uh…” Should I ask him to bring my clothes or make him wait in the kitchen while I run over?
 
“Here.” The sound of hanger on doorknob follows Namjoon’s sleepy voice. “I’ll be in the living room.”
 
Slowly peeking out again, I see that the clothes I had prepared last night are hanging on the knob before me. I glance towards the living room where Namjoon is sitting on the sofa with his back to me.
 
“Thanks!” I shout to him, and he raises a hand in response without turning back. Taking my clothes in, I towel dry and clothe myself before going out again. Just as I hang the towel back on its rack, the doorbell rings. Namjoon gets up to open the door.
 
“Thanks, hyung.” After the sound of shuffling feet, Yoongi’s bright hair appears around the corner.
 
“Good morning,” I greet. I eye the paper bag in Namjoon’s hand. Seems like Namjoon had called Yoongi over to bring him a change of clothes.
 
“Where’s the breakfast?” Yoongi asks, looking around the main hall. I lean on the side of the sofa with my arms crossed.
 
“What breakfast?” I watch as he rummages through the kitchen, looking into my cabinets and fridge and even rice cooker. He shakes his head in what seems like disapproval. He points at the packets of instant noodles in the cabinet, shoots me a look, and shakes his head again. I do not resist the urge to roll my eyes at him.
 
“He’s just being the older brother he is,” Namjoon pops up behind me saying, a toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.
 
“YAH KIM NAMJOON!” I stare at the toothbrush in his mouth. My toothbrush. He shrugs simply.
 
“Hyung didn’t bring my brush,” he says.
 
“I have spare!”
 
And then very much expectedly, he takes the toothbrush and holds it out to me. I decide to ignore him after rolling my eyes.
 
“Get out,” I tell Yoongi who’s still examining my kitchen. “I’ll make breakfast.”
 
“Are you sure you can do it?” Yoongi asks sceptically, his eyebrows rising in doubt. I give him my signature ‘don’t mess with me’ look. He catches on quickly and runs off to lie on the sofa. Back at my fridge, I pull out eggs, ham, cheese and lettuce. These guys would have to make do with sandwich.
 
Bread in the toaster, I whip up the eggs for a simple omelette, seasoning along the way. I cook the ham wash the lettuce, breaking them into more manageable pieces. When all the ingredients are ready, I take some plates and lazily stack the sandwich together. I think about making coffee but then conclude that juice would be better so I end up taking the orange juice out of the fridge. Namjoon emerges from the bathroom just as I finish setting the table, the towel I had just used hanging around his neck. I resist the urge to roll my eyes again.
 
“I’m starving!” Namjoon takes his seat at the table but before he can pick up his sandwich, I stop him. Taking his hand, I bring him into my room and make him sit at the vanity. I point at the hair dryer on the table.
 
“You’re going to drip water all over my house,” I tell him. That, and he’ll probably catch a cold. He looks between the hair dryer and me before taking my towel and wrapping it around his head. I raise a brow at him.
 
“Hair dryer’s too troublesome,” he says, his dimples showing in a cheeky smile. I sigh. Moving to stand behind him, I pull the towel away and gently towel-dry his hair a bit before flipping the switch on the hair dryer to the lowest heat. Namjoon sits obediently in the chair as I run my hand through his hair, drying his hair for him.
 
“Done.” I set the hair dryer down and turn off the switch. “Let’s go eat.”
 
Outside, Yoongi is already pouring himself a second glass of juice, his plate clean.
 
“Wow, oppa, you didn’t even wait for us.” I pout at him in disappointment.
 
“How was I supposed to know for how long you two were going to be lovey dovey inside?” He says with a shrug. Namjoon slaps him on the back, the sound of the impact in sync with the pained look on Yoongi’s face. I clear my throat.
 
“Hurry eat,” I tell Namjoon. “I have to leave for school soon.” I alternate between juice and bites of sandwich and quickly finish my breakfast.
 
“Hyung, do we have extra time?” Namjoon asks the older guy who shakes his head sadly. They both turn to look at me.
 
“What?”
 
“You can go to school yourself, can you?” Yoongi asks. I stare at him.
 
“Haven’t I for the past many years?” I shake my head at his cute joke and take a large mouthful of juice, draining my glass.
 
“Let me know when you’re at school already, okay?” This time, it’s Namjoon’s turn to act big brother.
 
“Why?” I get that they’re worried but I’ll be fine alone.

“Because I’m your oppa and I say so,” Yoongi shoots me a stern look. “I want proof shot, got it?” I nod nonchalantly but despite my cool demeanour, it does feel quite nice to be taken care of like this.