Happiness

Same, but Different
“Is that a yes?” Namjoon asks when we finally break apart, our breathing rapid. Before I can say anything, the hissing of liquid spilling over the stove brings me out of my trance.
 
“My noodles!” I quickly turn off the heat, frowning at the soggy mess in the pot. Running a hand through my hair, I back turn to Namjoon. His response to his ruined dinner is to bring me into his arms again.
 
“Oppa, stop hugging me for a second. Are you very hungry? I’ll make something else for you to eat.” I push myself back enough to meet his eyes.
 
Namjoon shakes his head. “I’m fine. Let’s go sit outside, shall we?” He pulls me into the living room and down onto the sofa. Here, we gaze into each other’s eyes silently.
 
“Stop staring at me,” I smile and say, consciously aware of my reddening face. I look away in shyness.
 
I see the corners of Namjoon’s lips rise through my peripheral vision. His smile falters. “I’m not dreaming, am I?”
 
“You’re not dreaming.” Turning back to meet his frowning eyes, I caress his face. “It’s been hard on you this long while.”
 
Namjoon closes his eyes and leans into my hand. “It’s nice, being here with you.” His soft voice tingles in my ears and triggers another smile. The ringing of a church bell in the distance reminds me of the time and pulls me out of my little fantasy.
 
“It’s late,” I say, retracting my hand. “You have a schedule in the morning, right? Hurry back and rest.”
 
Namjoon looks at me in disappointment. “I was expecting you to invite me to sleep over.”  I roll my eyes at him.
 
“I don’t have class tomorrow and I’m going to sleep until it’s time for lunch.”
 
“What’s that got to do with me waking up early? I’ll just leave before you wake up.” Namjoon whining is a new experience for me and I find that it’s fascinatingly cute.
 
“I can hear you snore through two doors and a corridor.” I roll my eyes again and exaggeratingly shudder to make fun of him. He playfully smacks me in the arm.
 
“But it’s dark and quiet outside. What if I get attacked!” He covers his chest with his arms and fakes a terrified expression. I laugh.
 
“Just go back,” I tell him. “It’s easier for your manager to collect everyone together too.” I take his hand and lead him to the door. Namjoon slips into his shoes unwillingly.
 
He looks at me in consideration for a while. “Will you come see me at the broadcast station tomorrow then?”
 
“We’ll see.” I open the door and push him out. “Call me when you’re back.”
 
“I really can’t sleep over? I’ll plug my nose to stop the snoring.” He looks at me with sad puppy eyes and I respond by waving bye at him.
 
“See you tomorrow,” he says as he takes slow steps back.
 
“Don’t walk backwards,” I chid and twirl my index finger telling him to turn around and walk properly. On his way down the corridor, he turns back to look at me multiple times and I stay at the door until he’s out of sight. Even then, I stare down the empty corridor for a while before finally going back in. My phone rings with a notification just as I close the door and fishing it out from my bag, I see a text from Namjoon.
 
From: Jun oppa
[I miss you already.]
 
My heart flutters at his words. But rather than reply his text, I call him back.
 
“Don’t text and walk! You have to watch where you’re going,” I say as soon as he picks up.
 
“You psychic. I just tripped over a rock.”
 
I do not resist the urge to roll my eyes.
 
“Your eyeballs are about to fall out,” he tells me.
 
“Who’s the psychic now?” I laugh. “I’m hanging up. Let me know when you’re back.”
 
Throwing my phone onto the table, I take a quick shower and prepare to pull an all-nighter to finish my assignments.
 
With my notebook in front of me, I stare into blank space while deciding on what to do first until Namjoon’s caller ringtone plays.
 
“I’m back at the dorm,” he says. I hear him but I’m not listening. “Byeol?”
 
“Hmm? Yeah, hurry wash up and sleep.”
 
Namjoon sighs. “Don’t stay up too late. Assignments are important but so it your health.”
 
“Says the guy who is always composing in the middle of the night,” I talk back but before he can rebut, I say again, “Goodnight, oppa.”
 
“Hmm, you too goodnight.”
 
And I hang up. An email notification reminds me that I have to send some documents over to my group-mate so I hurry and finish my part of the project and email it over. It’s almost 3AM when I finally shut down my notebook and squirm into bed.
 
My alarm wakes me up at seven in the morning.
 
“Ugh…” I snooze the alarm and turn face down, away from the sunlight streaming into my room. Why did I even set an alarm when I have no classes today? I’m just about to slip into another dream when I suddenly jump up as I remember why I have to be up early this morning.
 
Teeth brushed and face washed, I start cooking some rice in the cooker before leaving for the supermarket. I return home just as the cooker clicks off with bags of veggies and other ingredients I need to make a lunch box.
 
Fried rice, egg rolls, lots of veggies, meat and other side dishes fill up all five layers of my lunchbox set. Packing the boxes into a bag, I take a shower to freshen myself and change into a simple blouse and jeans before heading out again.
 
In the cab I booked beforehand, I look down at the bag of food on my lap. I know that fans have planned food support but that’s for the broadcast in the late afternoon. Bangtan should still be in rehearsal and I’m hoping that they haven’t had breakfast yet. Why am I so nervous? I tell the driver to speed up as I let their manager know I’m on my way. Namjoon had texted me a few times the past month with this number since I wasn’t answering his calls and I’d saved it just in case.
 
Their manager meets me at the back entrance with a backstage pass in hand. I greet him when I see him, an awkward smile on my face. He hands me the lanyard and steals a glance at the lunch boxes I have. Without another word, he leads me in.
 
“I’m glad you’re back with him,” he says suddenly when we’re inside.
 
“I’m sorry?” I blink at him.
 
“He was so sensitive the past month everyone’s been walking on eggshells. These days, he’s just going around spreading happiness.” He smiles a sincere smile, the first I’m seeing since I’d met him.
 
“I’m sorry,” I apologise though not sure for what. Perhaps for everything that’s happened the past month.
 
“They should be back soon,” their manager tells me, showing me into Bangtan’s waiting room. The room is thankfully empty, and I sit inside while he excuses himself. I guess being alone with me is too much for him but I don’t think too much of it and pull out my earphones to listen to music instead.
 
“Byeol?” Tapping on my arms wakes up me. Hmm, I fell asleep? Opening my eyes, I see Namjoon’s big face right in front of me. I push myself back in surprise and the chair tilts backwards with me, its front legs lifting up. Namjoon leans forward immediately and catches me before I can fall.
 
“Oppa…” I stand when he stables the chair and releases me.
 
“Noona!” Jungkook comes in and cheers when he sees me.
 
“What noona.” I raise a brow at him.
 
“Namjoon hyung says you’re sis-in-law now so I can’t call you by name anymore,” the maknae says with a straight face, obviously having fun telling on his hyung. I roll my eyes at Namjoon.
 
“Yoongi oppa!” I greet the older guys who are sprawled out over the room, tired from rehearsal.
 
“What are you doing here?” Namjoon asks, his arm s around my waist.
 
“What is this kid doing in front of his lonely hyungs,” I hear Yoongi and Jin mumble. I pluck him off me and point to the bag of lunch boxes on the table.
 
“I made food,” I tell the guys.
 
“Wow, really?” Their eyes light up at the mention of food. As everyone gathers around the table, Jin and I set the table and distribute cutlery.
 
“Woah…” When I see that they’re just staring and not moving, I prompt them to sit and start eating. Namjoon picks up his spoon and reaches for the fried rice first, a look of happiness spreading across his face. One by one, the others start digging in.
 
“Did you make this yourself?” Jin asks, and I nod. “It’s really good!”
 
“Delicious!” Hoseok gives me a thumbs up.
 
“I can eat this every day,” Taehyung talks with a mouthful of food.
 
Namjoon shoots him a look. “Why would you eat this every day? Why would Byeol cook this for you every day? If anyone, it should be me eating this every day. I can eat this every day. Byeol, don’t roll your eyes at me.”
 
“I didn’t do anything!” I laugh at how he correctly predicted what I was going to do. Meanwhile, Jimin is just quietly devouring everything.
 
“Yah, Jimin-ah, eat slowly,” Yoongi tells the younger one.
 
“It’s really delicious,” Jimin says, returning my smile. I turn to look at a full-cheeked Yoongi and he nods in agreement.
 
“Isn’t our Byeol a better cook than Jin hyung?” Namjoon says, earning him laughs from the younger guys.
 
“You can cook your own noodles from now on,” Jin throws out at him.
 
“I can just get Byeol to cook for me, right, Byeol?”
 
I feign ignorance and look at Jungkook beside me before placing a piece of meat on his spoon of rice.
 
“Hey! Me too!” Namjoon scoops some rice and pushes his spoon in front of me.
 
“This kid…” I mutter under my breath but still laugh and pick up some veggie for him.