119

Same, but Different
I contemplate on whether or not to go out for a walk, to take a breather. Woong left with Soo after dropping me off so he can help me bring some clothes and other necessities over. Soo tagged along to take care of the sensitive items.
 
“Who’s here to stop me?” I say aloud and go ahead with my decision to go out. Taking nothing but my phone and earphones, I leave the house. There is a quiet park nearby here and I walk in direction of it, slightly overly self-conscious about the people walking around me.  
 
With a loud bam, my hand immediately flies up to the back of my head where I’m hit. Looking around, I see a soft drink can rolling away from me. I turn around sharply.
 
“Lee Byeol.”
 
“What the hell, Park Minkyung?” I stare in disgust at the girl in front of me. Park Minkyung, madwoman of our grade. Everyone knows how crazy she is over Bangtan and Namjoon – she literally has RM tattooed over her chest. Staring at her now, I know who was the one tipped the reporters off.
 
“Surprise.” She smirks as she approaches me, her arms crossed in front of her chest like she’s some big shot.
 
“What do you want?” I glare back at her, not in the least intimidated.
 
“You’ve got some nerve, stealing my Namjoon oppa and still acting all righteous,” she spits. I’m not sure I like the look in her eyes but it’s no time to think about it because I see a group of girls coming up behind her.
 
“What the…” I don’t think I’ve ever been this frightened by a bunch of gangster-wannabe schoolgirls before but my heart rate increases as my fight-or-flight instincts kick in. I take an alarmed step back.
 
“Why, scared?” Minkyung grins lopsidedly, her little minions taking position behind her.
 
“This is why you shouldn’t have stolen our oppa away in the first place!” One of the girls shouts out.
 
I snort. “I wonder what Namjoon would think if he sees this.”
 
“Shut up!” Minkyung storms up and the next thing I know, my face is stinging from the impact of her slap.  “You have no rights to talk here.”
 
Oh, she has messed with the wrong lady. Looking straight into her eyes, I laugh. “Look at you leading these young girls astray. All these just for an idol. What more rights than I do you have?”  
 
“NAMJOON OPPA IS MINE!”
 
I must say, a raging madwoman is always fun to watch, especially if you kind of hate her guts. Namjoon is hers? I snort, and then see her raise her hand again. As she brings it down, I reach out instinctively to stop her but another force interrupts at the same time. I glance at Minkyung with her hand in mid-air, motion stopped by opposing forces.
 
“O… oppa!” Minkyung quickly pulls back her hand with a red face.
 
“Byeol-ah, are you okay?” Namjoon caresses the side of my face where Minkyung had hit. I should tell him I’m fine, that I’m relieved he’s here. I should, but I don’t. Instead, I cringe from his touch. I look away, unable to bear the sight of hurt in Namjoon’s eyes. Taking a step back, I turn and run away from the group. Namjoon calls my name, but I don’t dare to turn back. I don’t want him to see my tears.
 
Where should I run to? Without much thought, I’m only headed straight. A small road comes up and not even bothering to look out for cars, I dash across.
 
“Namjoon oppa!” The girls, now far behind, scream. A compelling force makes me stop to turn around and when I do, my eyes widen with fear. The blast of a horn threatens to blow out my eardrums.
 
Headlights blind us. Is the car braking?
 
I hear the sound of engine revving. No, it’s accelerating.
 
And it’s coming straight for us.
 
“Namjoon-ah…”
 
“Kim Namjoon!” Sprinting at record speed, I push him out of the way before the car can hit him.
 
“Byeol… no…” Namjoon holds me in his arms. I think he’s crying but I can’t really tell – my eyelids are suddenly so heavy. I want to wipe his tears away but I can’t move my arms. I’m so tired.
 
“How many times do I have to tell you to watch out for cars?” I manage to squeak. People are starting to crowd around. What happened?
 
“Shh, Byeol, it’s okay. You’ll be fine.” Namjoon caresses my face. Looking away, he shouts, “Someone please call 119!”
 
119? I instruct my eyes to focus on the blood on Namjoon’s shirt. Namjoon! Did he get hurt? I reach out but hey, would you look at that. I think the blood is coming from me. The car must’ve hit me when I pushed Namjoon out of the way. That’s good, that’s good. At least Namjoon isn’t injured. But wow, I’m starting to get sleepy. My vision blurs and all I want to do now is close my eyes.
 
“No, Byeol, please stay with me!” Namjoon holds me tight. You’ll ruin your expensive clothes, I want to tell him, but no voice comes out. I look up at him and smile slightly before drifting into a deep sleep.    


A/N: Surprise, surprise.