Worries

Same, but Different
The music starts and the guys suddenly turn into different people. Charisma overflowing, they put in their utmost effort into the dance. Beside me, Soo watches in awe. I try to look at everyone as they dance on but my gaze always subconsciously lands upon Namjoon. And every time I turn to him, I would meet his eyes. Blinking away for the umpteenth time, the song finally ends and the guys collapse on the floor.
 
“This is the new song?” I ask in excitement. “It’s really good!” I’m already addicted to their pre-release song but this is even doper.
 
“Let’s take a break,” Namjoon sighs as he tries to catch his breath.
 
“Are you okay?” I furrow my brows at him. He nods but the dimply smile that comes with it seems to be lacking in something. Someone suddenly plays a song in the background.
 
“Oh? I know this song…”
 
“The pink light reflecting off the waves is so beautiful
Can you hear the tremblings that connect you and I?”
 
I’d downloaded this song after listening to the preview because the lyrics are really beautiful. Unknowingly, I sing along.

“I’m waiting for you behind a dark curtain
We feel that invisible something.”
 
I turn to look at Soo and she follows with the next lines.

“If we have the same heart,
we can reach each other even if we’re far apart.”

 
Together,
 
“If you wave to me, I can do it
If you believe in me, I can smile
If you call out to me, I’ll run to you, whenever, wherever
We will be able to meet.”
 
We harmonise each other perfectly even though we’ve never sung this particular song together before.

“Even in thick darkness, I can find you
I can see each and every one of your eyes
With all my heart, always for you
I’ll shout and call out to you, I’ll sing.”
 
Soo is in-charge of the keyboard in the band and she rarely sings, but her voice is out of this world – I know this because we’ve gone karaoke together many times before without the band.
 
“With an earnest heart of days long past
You’re a gift that the sky has given

I’ll always stay by your side, let’s be each other’s stars.”
 
We look at each other as we sing, giving each other cues through eye contact.
 
“When darkness comes to me, shine brightly on me
Always believe in me
When I want to cry, I’ll secretly lean on you
Care for me so I can be in pain
We’ve already spent such a long time together
So I can’t be complete without you
With all my heart, always for you
I’m coloured by you like this.”
 
My singing seems to be rusting from disuse but I manage to hit the high notes with some effort. Joining voices again, we finish the song.

“As if I’m dreaming a dream I don’t want to wake up from
Again today,
I’m singing.”
 
Silence. I forgot that we had an audience and when I turn towards them, silence. Instinctively, I look at Namjoon and he returns my gaze with a soft smile. Clapping breaks the quiet but none of the guys have moved.
 
“Well done,” an older man comes in from the door, a smile on his face.
 
“Bang PD-nim.” Yoongi looks from me to him and back to me again. Bang PD… Their boss?!
 
“Who are these ladies over here?” He asks, looking down at us.
 
“Friends,” Namjoon explains, wary of the man.
 
“Have you two been trained before?” Bang PD directs his question at Soo and I.
 
“No, sir.”
 
“But we have no thoughts of joining an agency,” Soo speaks straight to the point. As the band’s manager, she’s gotten agreement from the members a long time ago that they’re going to stay free for as long as they’re in the band.
 
Bang PD thinks for a moment before looking directly at me. “You’re Lee Byeol, aren’t you?”
 
“How did you…?” My eyes widen in shock.
 
“Namjoon spoke about you.” He steals a glance at the Namjoon in the room before adding, “Both Namjoons.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“He rejected my offer that time I invited him over,” Bang PD continues to say. “He told me he came with a very special girl, and that because of her he cannot accept my offer.”
 
“Namjoon said that?” I ask, Soo patting my back comfortingly.
 
Bang PD nods. “After he left, this Namjoon came into my office to ask about the new girl. I knew at once he was talking about you.”
 
Namjoon clears his throat. “PD-nim.”
 
“Oh right.” An awkward silence hangs in the air above us. “I came in to ask about your preparations. How’s the choreography coming along?”
 
“We’re getting there,” Hoseok speaks up as dance in-charge. Bang PD nods before taking a final look at me.
 
“If you ever want to join us, you know where to find me.” He says this and leaves, closing the door behind him.
 
“Don’t be too pressured about it,” Namjoon tells me, referring to Bang PD’s offer. But this is not what’s weighing on my mind. I return Namjoon’s reassuring smile anyway.
 
“Let’s decide what to eat for lunch,” Jin says suddenly. I look at him quizzically.
 
“But hyung, we just had breakfast,” Jimin voices out what I’m thinking.
 
“What do you want to eat?” Jin looks at Soo.
 
“I… have to go,” she says with a hint of regret in her voice.
 
“But you don’t have any more classes for today,” I remind her. She sighs.
 
“Project meeting?”
 
“Oh right.” I facepalm myself for forgetting about this, and also my own project meeting planned for after class. “I’ll leave with you.”
 
Soo shakes her head with a teasing smile. “We’re meeting in a cafe just around here.”
 
“But-”
 
“Please take good care of our Byeol,” she says and politely bows to the guys before taking her leave. I let myself fall sideways to lie on the floor. Seeing this, Namjoon comes to sit beside my head.
 
“Tired?” He reaches out to brush stray hair off my face and strangely, it didn’t feel very intruding. I flip over to lie on my stomach, propping my upper body up with my elbows.
 
“Can we get Chinese takeout? I want to eat tangsooyook.”
 
Namjoon raises his eyebrows and nod just as something lands on my back. I turn around to see a jacket over my and Yoongi towering over me.
 
“I’m wearing jeans,” I say, but his eyes narrow at me. Aw, come on! My jeans aren’t even that tight. Pouting, I sit up and cross my legs, my back leaning against Namjoon’s side.
 
“Tangsooyook, call!” Jin decides, prompting the other guys to discuss what they want to eat. My phone suddenly chimes with a notification so pulling out my phone, I lean back again to check:
 
A tweet notification from BTS’s account showing a selca of Namjoon with the caption, “Happy day.”
 
Naturally, I turn to look at him-
 
Have we been sitting this close the whole time? Namjoon blinks back at me, his phone falling from his hand. Our faces are mere inches apart, and I can feel Namjoon’s breath on me. His Adam’s apple bobbles in a swallow. I scoot away and clear my throat in obvious awkwardness. There is a moment of silence.
 
“You’re following our twitter?” Namjoon asks after a while. I smile and nod awkwardly, vaguely aware of the heat creeping up to my cheeks. Thankfully, my phone rings, giving me an excuse to look away.
 
Caller ID shows that it’s Ray. “‘Sup.”
 
“Let’s go drinking tonight.”
 
“Who’s going?”
 
“Just us,” he says, and I immediately know what’s wrong.
 
“Usual place, 9pm,” I confirm with him before hanging up. Namjoon is still looking at me when I look up, the other guys seemingly engrossed in their own discussion.
 
“Who’s that?” He tilts his head at my phone.
 
“Ray.” I don’t divulge more because there isn’t a need to. Changing the subject, I say, “Oppas, aren’t you going to practice some more?”
 
“You want to watch us dance?” Hoseok asks, his face lighting up.
 
“Why not, when you’re all so charming when dancing?”
 
“Alright, let’s dance!” Jimin jumps up and stretches. While the guys - Yoongi included - are busy being excited, Namjoon fixes his gaze on me with an indecipherable look. I return his look with worry - I don’t know what his expression means but I don’t like it.


Song: The Wave by APINK, translation by Color Coded Lyrics