Chapter 31

The Imperfect Me

"So, how was your date?" my mom asked as I stepped into the kitchen.

"Mom, he's not my boyfriend or my date. He's just a friend," I told her.

"Yes, I know that. I was only joking. Is there something wrong?"

"Everything's fine, mom. Don't worry," I said as I gave her a small smile. I gave my mom a hug and she ruffled my hair. After that, I went to my bedroom and closed my door. I took a quick shower and laid down on my bad.

Honestly, I was still thinking of what Kris said to me just now. I was wondering why he suddenly said that he will not be taking favours from me anymore. Not that I want him to ask me for favours. It just feel weird that he suddenly decided to drop everything when he was the one that kept insisting that I owe him a lot of favours. Like he just left me hanging there. Did I do something wrong again? I wanted to ask him why but then it will seem like I'm the desperate girl wanting his attention when I was the one actually initially reluctant to do favours from him. I guess after going out for frozen yoghurt, fetching Mark and then getting ice cream together made me comfortable around him. Another reason why I'm upset is, since I won't be taking favours from Kris, it means I won't be able to meet Mark. Mark became my favourite kid and he is like a little brother I never had. My phone notification ringtone interrupted my thoughts. 

1 message from Luhan. 

Luhan: Hey! You home yet?

Me: Yes.

Luhan: Good. Watcha doing?

Me: Nothing much. Just laying down on my bed.

Luhan: You okay?

Me: Yes, I am.

Luhan: Great. Hey, just wanna ask if you want to get some waffles after school tomorrow?

Me: I don't mind. Did you ask the rest?

Luhan: Ummm, can it just be two of us?

Wait, if he is asking for just the both of us, does that mean ITS A DATE?? Nonsense Ara! Stop overthinking. It's just like going out with friends. I tried to convince myself that it was jsut a friendly outing but whatever Luna said over the weekend had me overthinking. She said that Luhan likes me. Like LIKE me. It got me kind of awkward with him and I don't want things to be awkward with Luhan. He's always been the sweet guy that cares for me. What should I do? Should I just agree to the outing? 

Luhan: Ara? You there? If you are uncomfortable, then it's fine. We can ask the rest.

Me: No, I'm fine. I don't mind just the two of us. So tomorrow after school?

Luhan: Yay!! Thanks Ara! I'll see you tomorrow in school. 

Me: See you~

Okay, so it's decided. I'm going out with Luhan tomorrow for waffles. I feel kind of nervous now. Come on, now Ara. It's just a friendly outing. There is no need to be so nervous. You can do this! I tried my best convincing myself that I'm going to be fine and I hope it really will be fine. 

The next day, I went to school with my heart beating really fast. No matter how much convincing I did, I still felt really nervous. This ain't normal at all. He's just a friend to me, right? Nothing more. Maybe whatever Luna said might have really affected me really good. Though I believe that what Luna said is completely nonsense. Like who in their right minds would like someone like me? Nothing is charming about me. I'm just an average or even lower than average girl with average personality and a boring personality. Luhan, on the other hand, is the complete opposite of me. He's charming, and he is one of the good looking guys in school. The other one being Kris. Uh, yes, Kris. I got over it already. I guess it's a good thing that he will not be asking for favours. 

I alighted the bus and walked to school. I walked to my locker and keyed on my combination code. I open the locker door and there was a piece of paper that was folded into half on top of my pile of books. I took the piece of paper and opened it.

B****, back off of Kris. Stop desperately attaching yourself to him like a pest. Get it in your head that you're ugly and disgusting. Seriously, take a good look at yourself in the mirror. And what's up with your face? With those ugly red acne. Your face is like a Pacific Ring of Fire. This will be my first warning. The next time I see you around him, I won't be nice and just send you a letter. You will get it from me. 

I crushed that piece of paper. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes but I could not cry in the middle of the hallway. I closed my locker and made a run for the toilet before anyone could see my face. I went into a cubicle and let my tears out. I cried as silently as possible. I can't believe this happened again. I thought it will all be over in high school but I guess I was wrong. I wiped my tears dry and went out of the cubicle. I went to the sink and washed my hands and face. I looked in the mirror and my eyes were slightly red but it does not seem obvious that I cried. I looked at my cheeks that was filed with acne. Disgusting, Ara! You're disgusting! I just wanted to go back home, back into my bedroom and hide my face. I feel extremely embarrassed by my own face. I feel extremely disgusted with myself. I took a few deep breaths and went out of the toilet. Time to put on a fake smile on my face.

I met up with the rest and thankfully, they did not see my slightly red eyes. It took a lot of effort to smile and laugh along with them without wanting to cry but I manage to do it till school ended. I packed and went out of the classroom. Luhan was there by the door and he was smiling at me. Oh right! I promised to get waffles with him! The letter made me forgot about the promise. Luhan wanted to grab my hand but I quickly retract it. He was slightly surprised at my action.

"Everything okay, Ara?" he asked me with eyes filled with concern.

"Yes, I'm fine. Sorry for that," I said and gave him a smile, the one that I have been giving throughout the whole day. My facial muscles were aching, honestly. I didn't mean to offend him. I didn't want his fangirls to misunderstand. I already got a letter from one of his and now, another from Kris' fanclub. I don't need anymore letters. And I felt extremely dirty and disgusting. 

"Well, let's go then," he said and we walked to the waffle shop.

"Ara!" Somebody called me.