Chapter 2

The Imperfect Me

Class finally ended and I prepared my materials for the next class. I heard the dragging of chairs. I watched as my classmates move their chairs to their friend's table to continue their own respective conversation. 

"Girls, look! Kim Ara is doing that creepy watching thing again! She's creepy!"

"I know right! And look at her face! It is filled with acne! Disgusting! No wonder she is always alone. Nobody wants to even look at her face! It's just so gross, it makes you want to vomit. "

How I wish the teacher came in earlier! I again kept my face straight and pretended like I did not hear what they said. Deep inside, however, I felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing me in the back. Acne has always been a flaw of mine. Iy is my main reason why I'm always insecure. It wasn't as bad when I was 12 but then it became worse when I entered high school. My classmates faces were all clear and I felt like I was the only dirty one in the classroom. That fact is always replaying in my head. I do wash my face but I only felt that it was just aggravating the acne. 

I heard gigglings from the gossip group. They are most probably laughing at how nobody would want to be my friend due to this face of mine. They are most probably making jokes about my face. What did I ever do to them? I lay my head on the table and closed my eyes, hoping for class to start soon. And as if my prayers were heard, the teacher arrived and class finally started. That felt like a super long break.

 

I packed my bag and got ready for lunch. I was about to leave the classroom when I felt a tap on my back. I turned around and saw the girl that I unconsciouly stared at. 

"Hi! You're Kim Ara, right? I am Luna. Nice to meet you! Do you want to join us for lunch?"

I was shocked that I actually got invited to lunch. I'm even shocked at how she knows my name. Nobody invited me to join them for lunch before. Heck, nobody even knows or remembers my name when I was in middle school. I was so overwhelmed with my feelings, I felt tears forming in my eyes. No, I wasn't sad. In fact, I was really touched and happy. I tried to hold back my tears. Crying for such a small matter would only make them think that I'm a weird person. I nodded. She then grabbed my hand and dragged me to her group of friends. 

"Hey guys! This is Kim Ara and she will be joining us for lunch! Please treat her nicely, okays? Kim Ara, these 4 girls are Amber, Victoria, Krystal and Sulli. These guys are Luhan, Lay, Xiumin, Tao and Chen."

I waved and bowed. It was my first time eating with such a large number of people and it was really nerve wrecking! I felt that they were looking at me (or some part of me, my acne) and I immediately started feeling insecure and looked at the floor. Luna sensed that I was uncomfortable and then grabbed me and lead the way to the cafeteria. The other then follow suit. I was not sure whether they actually welcome me in their group.