Chapter 16

The Imperfect Me

What is this? Tears? Why am I crying?

I quickly wiped my tears away. What is wrong with me? I don't understand. My tears just wouldn't stop falling. People sitting a few seats away from me were starting to notice. This is so embarrassing! I was lucky that the bus arrived at my stop and I quickly alighted the bus. I sat down at the bus stop. Nobody was there since it was already quite late. It was really peaceful and quiet. I can't go back home now. My mom would notice that there is something wrong with me. She would only be more worried. She is already tired from working so I don't want her to get anymore tired. 

Okay, I'll just sit at the bus stop for a while. I am actually quite afraid to sit at this bus stop alone. This neighbourhood is eerily quiet at night that you could hear a pin drop. There were a few cases of flashers spotted around this neighbourhood. How could I not be afraid? Usually, every little movement would make me shocked. But for today, I really did not care about those. I just felt a bit too down to feel scared. Just for today, I let my tears roll down my cheeks. What could be the reason for this? If only I had someone to talk to...

"Noona, why are you crying?" a little boy approached me.  He looked at me in confusion.

"Don't cry, Noona. Here is a lollipop for you," he shyly offered his brand new lollipop to me.

I quickly wiped my tears away. 

"Thank you but you keep the lollipop, okays? It's yours," I told him.

He nodded and tired to keep his lollipop into his tiny pockets. Awww, he's too cute. I love kids! I watched as he struggles to stuff the lollipop into his pocket and decided to help him with it. While helping, the boy came closer and gave me a peck on the cheek. Oh my, this boy is going to be a ladies' man for sure. He sure knows how to treat a girl. Now, that I think about it, where are his parents?

"Little boy, what is your name?" I asked him.

"My name is Mark."  An English name? I guess he's not Korean?

"Ok, Mark. Where are your parents?" 

"My parents are at home," he replied.

Before I could ask another question, I heard someone calling the child's name. Then I saw the person approaching us. Oh man... it's him again...