Chapter 11

The Imperfect Me

"Wake up, my dear. I have to go work now," Mom said while gently shaking me awake.

"Yes, Mom," I said as I sat up on the bed (after much difficulty).

"I'll head off first, okays? I've prepared breakfast on the table. So sorry I couldn't accompany you for your breakfast, dear." 

"It's okay mom. Now, go to work or else you'll be late," I urged her to go. She gave me a kiss on the forehead and a hug before heading out for work.

 

I got ready for school, ate breakfast and head out to the bus stop. The weather was perfect, making the short walk to the bus stop peaceful and pleasant. The sky was clear and there was a slight breeze. If only everday was like this, I wouldn't mine walking all the way to school though it is quite a long distance (I stay about 4 bus stops away from the school). Oh! I forgot to inform mom that I'm going back late! 

Me: Mom, I forgot to inform you that I'm going home late today. I'm helping my classmates decorate our classroom. Is that fine with you?

I sat down at the bus stop and plugged in my earpiece. It's only 7am! I guess I'll be early today. The bus arrived and I board the almost empty bus. Maybe I should wake up early like today. The bus is quiet and peaceful. No rowdy students from my school to ruin my morning. No need for me to stand in a packed bus. I sat on the empty seat at back of the bus. The bus then set off to the next stop. I looked at the people and buildings the bus passed by. I saw the tired morning faces of people. Without realising, I started to think about what happened yesterday. Did Kris heard me when I say thanks? Maybe he didn't. If, by any chance, I see him in school, I should go and thank him for his help yesterday. If he wasn't there, I would've been harrassed even more by Junhyung. While I was in deep thought, I didn't realise that someone was already sitting beside me. Just then, I felt the seat shifted a bit and heard someone cleared their throat, loudly. That brought me out of my dreamland.

That's weird, the bus is empty but why does this person choose to sit beside me?

"You're wondering why I am sitting beside you right?" 

Wait a minute! I know this voice! 

"Xiumin! Hi!" I said.

"Finally! I was sitting and looking at you for quite a while. I was wondering when you would actually realise that I'm here," he said while chuckling.

"Sorry! You could've just tap me on the shoulder or something," I said while blushing. Damn, he must have seen my unglam daydreaming face. So embarassing! Wait, since when do I care if my face was unglam or not? Ara, keep your cool! 

"I didn't want to bother you since you looked like you were in deep thought. Is there any problem?" 

"Uh, no actually. I'm just enjoying the peaceful environment," I assured him.

"I see. Today's weather is really nice, huh?" he asked and I nodded in agreement.

We alighted at our stop. We then walked to school and waited for the rest at the school canteen since we reached really early. While waiting, we complained about how boring History was. I confessed how it was my first time walking to school together with a friend. And I thank him for doing so. He gave me a soft smile and ruffled my hair. Not that move again... I become weak when he does that. I felt my face heat up and my heart beating faster. What is wrong with you, Ara? Am I sick? 

"Hey Ara! Are you okay? Your face is red!" Luhan appeared from behind me all of a sudden. He raised his hand and feel my forehead.

"Damn! Your forehead is really warm! You are down with a fever! Why are you in school? You should've rest at home!" Luhan went on and on.

"Luhan!!! I'm fine! Don't worry," I assured him. I can't possibly tell him that I was blushing because of what Xiumin just did to me.

"If anything goes wrong, I am going to inform the teacher so you can go home! Do you hear me?" Luhan nagged.

I nodded and luckily, the rest came, saving me from the wrath of Luhan's nagging. Damn, this deer nags really well. I thought my ears would bleed. Even my mom doesn't nag at me like he did. 

"You are really okay right?" Xiumin asked worriedly.

"Uh... yes, yes. Don't worry," I smiled at him.

"Why? Did something happen? DID YOU GUYS BULLY MY ARA?" Victoria asked Xiumin and Luhan while glaring at them.

"No! I didn't bully Ara. How could this gentleman being bully such an innocent lady?" Luhan replied.

"Urgh, Luhan please. Don't worry, Vic. We were just worried because we thought she was having a fever. Luhan said that her forehead felt really warm," Xiumin explained.

"What Xiumin said is true Victoria. I can assure you that they definitely did not bully me," I convinced Victoria.

Luckily, she decided to let the matter go. We then proceeded to the classroom together. We were talking and joking around. I talked more than I usually do and I don't really feel awkward around them anymore. I found out how Chen loves to troll people. I also found out that Tao is part of the school's Wushu team. It was surprising considering how someone with a lot of aegyo actually has some hardcore skills. While we were talking, Luna approached me.

"Ara, are you really okay?" she asked.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine," I assured her.

"Did you get back home late yesterday?" she asked with concern.

"Umm, I kinda got back home quite late. I had to make a last minute trip to the supermarket to buy some items for my mom. And I kinda ran into some trouble yesterday with an old schoolmate of mine," I replied.

"Oh my! What happened? Are you okay? Did you get hurt?" she started asking me so many questions.

"Luna. I'm not wounded or anything like that. It's no big deal."

"How is this not a big deal? Who is this old schoolmate you are talking about? I will personally approach this person and give him or her a kick to the face. I'll ask Tao for help!" she exclaimed.

"Kris was there too," I revealed after contemplating for a while.

She stopped for a moment and looked at me with a mischevious smile.

"So, Kris was there?" she asked me again, emphasising Kris' name.

I nodded.

"So I assume he was the Prince Charming who went to save you, the princess, from trouble?"

"Lunaaaaa, you are embarrassing me!!" I whined. 

She gave a light chuckle and knudge me playfully. I knew she was going to tease me about this. She enjoys teasing me. I think my face is red enough from just now. It can't get any redder. All of sudden, a hand touched my forehead again.

"Okay, that's it. I'm bringing you to the sick bay!" Luhan said while dragging me away from Luna.

I looked at Luna for help. She turned to Victoria. Victoria took the signal and approached Luhan. She gave Luhan a smack to the back of the head, making him release me.

"OUCH! That was painful!" Luhan complained.

"That was for dragging her away," Victoria retorted.

"But her face was red, and her forehead was hot. I was just worried about her."

"Don't worry. Her face is red because I was teasing her about something," Luna explained.

"Teasing her about something? What were you teasing her about? Tell me! Tell me," Luhan insisted.

They ignored him and continued walking to the classroom. It is such a long distance to the classroom because it is located on the 4th level and we have no lift in the school. 

"Are you guys seriously going to ignore me?" Luhan asked while pouting. But I doubt anybody saw that except for me. 

I stick out my tongue at him and followed the rest to the classroom.

"Ara! Did you just stick your tongue out at me? You better watch out!" he said while chasing after me.

I ran and went to Victoria for protection. What a hectic way to start the day!