Chapter 17

The Imperfect Me

"Mark, how could you run off like that? I was looking all over for you. I swear, I can't even leave you for a minute. Take my eyes off you for a second and you'll run off like you did now. If mom knows about this, she is going to kill me, you know?" Kris rambled on endlessly. 

The boy seem scared and hid behind me for protection. Kris must have not realised that I was there. I guess he was really worried about his brother. I cleared my throat to get his attention.

"Enough, you are scaring him," I told Kris off.

He finally realised that I was there. He look quite surprised. Wait, does Kris live in the same area as me? It can't be. 

"Oh, I guess you live around here as well?" he asked me. As well? Oh man, he does live here. Are you kidding me?

Yeah I do. And you stay around here too?" 

"Yeah. I guess you saved me this time round," he told me. I did?

He tried to grab his brother's hand but Mark didn't want to let go of me. He must have been really scared of Kris.

"Noona, I don't want to go with hyung. He is too scary," Mark said while sobbing.

So in the end, I walked back together with Kris to his house. Oh my that sounds inappropriate. I decided to carry his brother since he was clinging on to me and it was becoming difficult to walk wtih someone contantly hugging you legs. Soon enough, his brothe fell asleep. Damn, it is really awkward now... How should I break this silence? 

"Why were you crying?" Kris broke the silence. Wait how did he know? Oh my red, swollen eyes must have been a giveaway. Is he going to tease me about this?

"None of your business," I replied curtly.

"True that. I was just asking...," he agreed.

Surprisingly, he didn't replied sarcastically at all. I guess he was genuinely concern? But since when is Kris concerned about someone like me? He has always been giving me sarcastic replies. Soon enough, we reached his house. I was quite surprised that he lives in a normal house like I do. I was under the impression that he lives in a mansion or something like that. He does give the "rich person" vibes. I guess he is just a normal person living a normal life. He took his brother from me and gave me a slight nod. A way of thanking me, I guess? He then walked towards the door. Before he opened the door, he stopped me.

"Don't forget, you still owe me frozen yoghurt," he reminded me. Urgh... So annoying and persistent. 

"Whatever." I walked away.

*ping!*

Mom: Where are you, dear? It is so late and you are still not home yet. I'm worried.

Me: Sorry mom for making you worried! Something came up. But I'm already on the way home.

Oh no! Mom must be really worried about me. I should hurry home. I was getting more and more paranoid since it is dark and like I said earlier, this neigbourhood is really quiet and creepy. I started walking away from Kris' house. Oh well, it is going to be a long walk home. His house was quite a number of blocks away from mine. I silently prayed that I will get home safely.  

Just then, I heard footsteps behind me followed by a tap on my back. Oh no! I don't want to die to soon! TT