Chapter Two

Don't Fly Away, My Butterfly

 

I’m walking to school and oh my gosh it is so hot. It’s only 7:30 and the sun is beaming on me. These uniforms are not summer friendly. They let us wear whatever we wanted yesterday but from now on we wear our uniforms.  Even though I’m wearing a skirt, I still feel the sweat. My thighs rub together and it is not pleasant.

I take  the water bottle out of my backpack. Damn. It’s warm. I’ll just go in a store to buy myself a colder water bottle. Ugh, the store is five blocks away. No, I can do this.  Why do the blocks seem so long? Why can’t I feel my legs? Everything seems so dizzy. Ahhh, my backpack is heavy. All those notebooks and that AP Calc textbook are weighing me down. I don’t feel too good.

 

I wake up in a rather cool place. I look around with a confused look on my face. Oh, thats right. I’m at a hospital room. Wait, what? I look around and I see Mr. Choi sitting on a chair across from me.

“How do you feel?” he asks.

“Um..better? Did something happen?”

“You fainted due to the heat, dehydration and that heavy backpack.”   

“That’s weird. I drink a bottle of water everyday before I eat breakfast…”

“Well it's 93 degrees outside. You probably sweated the water out.”

I nod my head.

“Thank you for your concern.”

“No problem. You should thank one of your classmates who saw you faint. Luckily I was around to help.”

“Oh, who-” I am interrupted by the sudden entrance of my mom entering the room.

“Thank you for taking care of my daughter.” My mom goes towards Mr. Choi and bows her head.

“How are you?” she asks.

“I’m feeling better.”

“You’re always drinking water, but the time you don’t...ah.”

“I had water but it was warm.”

“Ahh Nayeon..” my mom shakes her head and then continues, “Do I take her or she needs to go to school?”

“It depends on how she feels.” Mr.Choi answers.

“I’m feeling fine. I want to get my homework.”

“Are you sure?” my mom replies.

I nod my head.

“Miss. I can take her to school. I am going there anyway.”

“Are you sure?” my mom asks worriedly.

“Of course. I do my best to help.”

I see….

“Okay, Nayeon. I love you. Take care.” My mom leaves out the door.

 

“You have a nice car, Mr.Choi.” I put my seatbelt on.

“Thanks. It’s alright for the school’s pay.”   What is he talking about? His car is a really nice BMW. It looks brand new.

“Put whatever radio station you want.”

“Really?”

He nods. I put Sukira. I love listening to Ryeowook’s voice. Mr.Choi stares at me.

“What?”

“You like Super Junior?”

“I love them. How about you?”

“They have good music.”

“Aye, you’re an ELF too?”

He doesn’t answer and just smiles.

“Ooh! Devil!” I turn up the volume. Undoubtedly, he is an ELF. We both start to sing the song.

 

Well we are here just in time for my lunch period.

“Thank you so much.” We are both out of the car.

“I’ll see you sixth period.” He responds.

I nod my head and leave to enter the school. I enter the cafeteria. It’s nice and cool in here. I’m walking towards my table and I see Yoongi coming towards me. He stops in front of me. What? He eyes me from head to toe with a blank expression. I smile to not make it awkward. He keeps walking forward. What was that?

Dong-woo comes up to me.

“Hey, you skipped didn’t you?” He smiles. Well I guess he wasn’t the one that saw me faint.

“Oh no something happened. But is that for me?” I point to the stack of papers he is holding.

“Yeah, here is all of the worksheets from this morning.” I take it.

“Did they collect the summer packets?”

“Yeah.”

“Ok. I’ll give it to them after school.” I smile. “Thank you soo much.”

“No problem.” He smiles. I continue to walk to my table.

“Jimin!!”

“Nayeon! I didn’t see you this morning.”

“I fainted so I went to the hospital.”

“And you still came to school?!”

“Yeah. I can’t fall behind in anything. But I feel better.”

“Oh okay tehn.”

“Where’s Youngjae and Jihyo?”

“Youngjae is in the library finishing his summer packet. And Jihyo is getting her lunch.”

“Oh.”I nod. I take my soymilk and pb&j sandwich out.

“Hey girl.” Jihyo sits down.

“Hey.”

Himin, Jihyo and me start to talk about the weather and the musicals that might happen this year.

I notice that Yoongi disappeared. He’s not at his table.

“I’m going to the bathroom guys!” I really need to pee. I stand up and leave.

 

While coming back from the bathroom, I see Mrs. Baek holding a stack of books. Maybe this is my chance to help somebody.

“Mrs.Baek, I can help you with those books.”

“Oh, Nayeon. Thank you. Here. Lets leave these at the library.” she hands them to me.

 

We arrive at the school’s library.

“You can leave them here at the table.”
“Ok.”

“Thank you so much Nayeon.”

“Oh, no problem.” I smile. Mrs. Baek leaves the library.

“Oh Nayeon!” Youngjae exclaims.

“Youngjae! Have you finished?” I go by.

“I have one more problem.”

“Ooh, good for you.”

A teacher comes by and tells me, “Can you tell him to wake up. We only have ten minutes left.” He points to the student that's in the corner with an open book on his face.

“Oh okay..”  I go by the kid. I tap his shoulder lightly. “Excuse me. There is only ten minutes left.”

No response.

“Hello?” I’m gently taking the book off his face. Oh no. Its Yoongi. His eyes slowly open. Our faces are so near. I feel like I’m about to die.

“Um..its not what...no...um minutes. Ten left.” Gosh I sound stupid. I give the book back to him. I rather not say anything. It will make it more awkward.

“Oh really. Ok thanks.” He sits up. I leave.

 

I got my stuff from the cafeteria and I’m walking to Mr.Choi’s class with Jimin.  

“You’re awkward, Nayeon.”

“I know. I hate it.”

“Well have fun.” he chuckles.

“Yeah…” I sigh. I enter the classroom. Everybody is there. Um.

“Am I late? Did the bell ring?”

“No, you’re just in time.” Namjoon responds.

“Oh okay.” I go to my seat awkwardly.

“How are you feeling Nayeon?” Mr.Choi look ups from his desk.

“Better, thank you.”  He nods his head.  

Yoongi is still sitting behind me. I guess he doesn’t mind me or he just needs someone in front of him so he can sleep.

“We all know what bullying is,right?” Mr.Choi asks.

“Of course!” Hoseok exclaims.

“Well then, what is it?”

“Its when you degrade someone in a physical or emotional way on purpose.” I respond nonchalantly.

“Correct. So why are we going to talk about it?”

“Because it's a service class to help people.” Namjoon declares.

“Yes. You guys are already old enough to know ‘bullying is bad’. But why?”

“Because it's still happening.” Yoongi says shyly.

“Correct, that’s why we were asked to make a bullying campaign and go to the middle and elementary school to talk about it with them.”

Oh god. I’m not good with kids.

“We are going to work together. Decide a group name, while I put the ac on higher. It is hot.”

Hoseok quickly turned his head towards Namjoon and Yoongi.

“Guys let's name our group!” Hoseok exclaims.  

“You can say any suggestions Nayeon.” Namjoon states.

“Huh?...Uh sure..”

“You too, Yoongi.” Namjoon tells him. Yoongi nods his head.

“How about SunShines? We are their light and we expose the truth about bullying. We help them grow and make them feel warm.” Namjoon says confidently.

“Make them feel warm?” Mr.Choi joins in the conversation. “I really don’t want you to go to jail Namjoon..” We laugh except Yoongi has a smile on his face.

“Nah, chill Mr. Choi.” Namjoon was smiling.

“Make them feel warm. What the hell.” Hoseok playfully hits his arm. “How about wildflowers? We are fierce but we are also beautiful. “ He suggests. Both of their suggestions sound cute.

“They won’t take us serious. Don’t you want to look cool in front of them? I prefer SunShines.” Namjoon complains. That irony. I have an idea but I don’t want to be turned down… I take a gulp and say “I really like both of your suggestions. How about we combine them? For instance, how about wild sunflowers? I don’t know..”  I notice with the corner of my eye that Yoongi sits up.

“Pretty good.” Yoongi mutters. My eyes light up.

“Wild Sunflowers..I like it Nayeon!”  Hoseok gets really excited. “We are wild sunflowers.” He lowers his voice.

“That’s a good idea Nayeon.” Namjoon smiles at me. So we start to make a lesson plan and Yoongi is in charge of writing the ideas down.

The bell rings.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow. “ Mr. Choi is waving good bye. Everybody stands up.

“B-” I try to say bye to Yoongi but he just walks out of the class with the other two behind him.

“Oh, Mr. Choi thank you so much for today.”  I walk towards his desk.

“No problem.” He smiles.

“Who was the one who helped me today?”

“One of your classmates.”

“Can I know the name?”

“I forgot. But I know the person is in your grade.”

“How the person look like? I want to thank them.”

“I honestly forgot.” His phone rings. “Sorry, I have to take the call.”

“Okay..” I bow my head and leave.

 

My phone vibrates. Oh, it is a message from Taeyeon. “Buy soymilk on your way back!” “Ok” I answer. The afternoon is pretty chilly. I’m glad.  But I don’t know why it’s getting dark. I keep walking.

From a distance, I see an old lady taking out groceries from her car. Maybe I should help her...I will.  

I am walking towards the old lady and a sound of thunder prevails the sky. Oh no. The rain fell at full force. It is the type of rain that hurts. I run to the old lady.

“Miss, let me help you bring those groceries inside.”The rain is pouring. The old lady looks at me and then with a smile says “Thank you so much.” I grab the groceries from her and  place them inside her house. I come back outside to get the other bags. Wow, she has a lot of groceries. I bring the last four bags inside. I am drenched in water.

“Miss, come inside.” the old lady gives me a towel. “Stay with me. Let me dry your clothes.”  She gives boy clothing to change into. They’re pretty comfy.

“Sorry, I just wanted to give you something that would seem more youthful.”

“No, it’s fine.”  I sit with her in her kitchen.

“That rain was a surprise. If it wasn’t for you, I don’t know what I would have done. The fruits might have gone bad in that humid car.Thank you. Speaking of fruit, you want some?”

“It’s not a problem.  Uhm, okay.” I smile at her.

She gives me a bowl of grapes and peaches.

“May I know your name?” she asks me.

“Nayeon. Im Nayeon.”

“Awe, pretty name. My name is Young-hee.”

“Nice to meet you!” I eat my fruit.

“How old are you?”

“Im 17.”

“Ahh, I believe my grandson is your age. I’m not sure. That age is hard to handle. But you don’t look like it.”

“Oh no don’t say that.” She’s cute, hehe.

“Do you drink soymilk? I bought two but I want to give you one.”

“Really? I would love it. Thank you.”

“The least I can do sweetie.” She gives me the new soymilk and she heads to the dryer machine to get my uniform. I look around the kitchen. Its pretty modern and it has a homey vibe to it.

She hands me the uniform and I change in the bathroom.

“Thank you! I’ll get going now.” I grab the soymilk.

“Please come again!! You are always welcomed in my house!” She smiles.

I leave the house. The rain had stopped. The sun is beginning to shine. Ugh this weather.

 

~

 

Yoongi is walking home and begins to remember about his morning.

        ‘Why does she look like she is about to fall?’ he thinks. ‘Oh crap..’ Yoongi quickly runs toward Nayeon and holds her which stops her from falling to the ground. He holds her in his embrace in this hot weather. ‘Ugh, why.’ The sun is beaming.  Suddenly a car shows up and the windows open.

“What happened? Is she alright?”

“I don’t know. I believe she fainted. She looks unconscious.”

Mr. Choi gets out of the car and opens the passenger’s door.

“Let’s put her in here.” He helps Yoongi with putting Nayeon in the car.

“I’m going to take her to the hospital just in case. Do you want to come?”

“Um, no it’s okay. I need to go to school anyways.”

“Are you sure?”

Yoongi nods.

“Don’t tell her anything that I was holding her...that’s pretty weird.”

Mr.Choi is pretty surprised with his statement.  “Okay.. I’ll see you in class then.”

Yoongi nods his head and walks away.

“Odd kid…” Mr. Choi mumbles.

 

A/N: Excuse me for any typos :) Hope you enjoyed reading this chapter ! Dont forget to subscribe , upvote and comment!