Chapter Twenty

Don't Fly Away, My Butterfly

Earlier in the day…

 

Yoongi stands in the middle of the hallway with his hands in his pockets, looking towards Nayeon’s locker. She’s still not here. He feels ashamed and guilty. He doesn’t know how to react and how to face her. He wants to see her, but his mind is holding him back. He would text her but he admits he’s much of a coward.

She probably doesn’t want to see me.

“Do you know what's wrong with Yoongi..he’s quieter than usual?” Hoseok observes from afar. “He’s just standing there.”

“Maybe he's waiting for Yoo Jung. I think she messed him up. She came and it just..I don’t know.” Namjoon responds.

Hoseok smirks, while changing the conversation. “So, today's the day huh?” He slightly pushes Namjoon in a teasing way. “I smell that cologne.” Namjoon shyly smiles. “Yeah..I’m nervous.”

“Yo everything is going to be fine. You got this.” Hoseok comforted Namjoon. They continued walking to their class.


 

Yoongi, still has a bit of hope that Nayeon would still come to school today. It's been more than or about 2 weeks since he hasn’t seen her. Well, that’s his own fault. For some reason, this is harder than what he expected. To just disappear out of somebody’s life..just like that. Especially Nayeon. He remembers the first time she saw her in freshman year. She walked in their English class, smiling. She sat on the other side of the room all excited like. Their English teacher asked any volunteers to come up and introduce themselves. After a minute, Nayeon volunteered herself. Her awkward outgoing self called his attention. For that moment, he had forgotten about Yoo Jung as he saw Nayeon introduce herself awkwardly and smiling. Her smile made him feel better. Her long wavy hair and innocent demeanor fascinated him. He regrets for not being able to open up to Nayeon as she would try to say hi to him in the hallways. He was still hurt by Yoo Jung, so he didn’t want to use Nayeon as a rebound to forget about Yoo Jung. Also, after freshman year they did not have any other classes together. Mostly because Nayeon has involved herself in the honor classes. But senior year came and he had totally moved on from Yoo Jung, especially what she had done to him that's why he had broken up with her.

He stands by the entrance of the cafeteria door, waiting. Waiting to see if she would appear. He glances from left to right, hoping he wouldn’t lose the chance of seeing her. But ten minutes had gone by and no sight of Nayeon. He sees her friends, Youngjae and Jimin walking. Should I ask?

“Hey Youngjae!” Yoongi genuinely smiles. He decided to ask Youngjae instead since they have had classes together in the past and they do get along. Youngjae’s expression changes to confused. Yoongi isn’t the type to initiate conversations,,,due to his shy personality.

“Hey bro! What’s up?” Youngjae and Jimin stand before Yoongi.

“Uh..is Nayeon here today?” Yoongi feels his cheeks burning.

“Nope, she’s not.” Jimin responds. “Why? Any project you have to do with her?”

“Kinda..” Yoongi looks to the ground.

“She’s still at her house..recovering if you wanted to know. But she’s good.” Jimin smirks.

“Yeah give her a call! She wouldn’t mind.” Youngjae smirks as well.

“Okay thanks for telling me…”Yoongi can’t believe he did that but curiosity was killing him. He feels relieved that she is doing well...but giving her a call? I just can’t do it. Especially since I hurt her.

It was the same old type of banter going on in the cafeteria between Sehun and the other boys. Yoongi’s mind is too focused on Nayeon (particularly today) that he can’t seem to enjoy. He keeps on looking back to where Nayeon sits in the cafeteria. Its empty...her seat is empty. He doesn’t see the usual Nayeon pulling weird jokes, laughing or playing some type of game with her friends at the table. I miss her.

“Man..I can’t believe Nayeon still isn’t here..I need somebody to piss off.” Sehun sighs.

“Yeah..class isn’t as fun.” Dongwoo agrees.

Of course it isn’t as fun for you, You like her. You can't stare at her like you always do. “ Sehun playfully retorts.

Dongwoo's eyes widened. “Oh everybody knows in this table, Dongwoo!” Sehun sassily remarks. Yoongi smiles at Sehun’s response. Who wouldn’t like her?


 

It was a short lunch period since today is a half day. (Basically, every period/class is shortened.) Yoongi walks to his next class which is the volunteer class with Mr. Choi. Yoongi is the first one to enter the classroom. He stands before his desk, gazes down at it for a few seconds and then looks at the desk in front of his (which is where Nayeon usually sits). He is about to sit down where she usually sits but Hoseok noisily comes in singing with his headphones on. Yoongi immediately sits down at his desk.

“What were you doing?”

“Nothing..I’m just tired..” Yoongi closes his eyes.

“Are you okay? You seem-” Hoseok notices that he’s pretend sleeping. Hoseok didn’t like how Yoongi was acting lately. He wasn’t his usual self. He wants to find out why but he doesn’t know how to make Yoongi open up to him. Only Namjoon...at times. “Ahhh..I miss Nayeon. But she's doing well. I talked to her a few days ago. She asked about you..” Hoseok isn't lying. She did ask. He was meaning to tell Yoongi so he saw the chance now. He wonders about his reaction. Hoseok wants to confirm something. Yoongi slightly opens his right eye. Hoseok smirks at the sight of this. “You want to know what she said?” Hoseok asks waiting for a response.

…….. There's a minute of silence.
“What did she say?” Yoongi asks with both of his eyes closed.

“ She said she really likes you.” Hoseok tries to keep a straight face. Yoongi’s heart began to race. He opens both of his eyes. Hoseok didn't seem satisfied with his reaction but it's still a reaction. More than he has ever seen. Hoseok decides to pull some more strings.

“I'm kidding. She asked how you were and that's it. Ahh.. You know Namjoon is going to see her today. He invited her out. She accepted…” Yoongi immediately closes his eyes again. Hoseok continues, liking his reaction, “they're going to eat and probably go to the park afterwards...you know the park that's by his mom's job. I wonder if she's interested in him..” Yoongi still has his eyes closed. Hoseok chuckles.

How odd. He should be happy for his friend, Namjoon. Hah. Confirmed.

Namjoon and Mr. Choi walks in chatting and laughing. “Remember guys, and you Namjoon, always be considerate towards a girl if you're really interested. It's a given but just a reminder.” Mr.Choi states. Yoongi opens his eyes as he said those words. No emotion...at all.

“Good news, Nayeon will be coming back next week. So why don't we plan something for her?” Mr. Choi announces to the small class of only three students. “Woo!!” Hoseok starts clapping. Yoongi feels a sense of relief but it still worries him, how will he face her.

“Make sure to keep this a secret from her.” Mr. Choi says.


 

Yoongi’s stomach grumbles as he closes his locker. Ahh I’m so hungry. Those rice cakes that Sehun bought didn’t fill me up. He saw Namjoon talking on his cellphone at the end of the hallway. Could he be talking to her? Yoongi sincerely feels confused about the whole situation. Everything makes sense to him now, from the time he saw Namjoon hugging Nayeon while she was crying, tying her shoelaces, almost kissing her in the skit and now asking her to eat...without anybody else. Just them two. He likes her.

“Yoongi, watch out!!” Sehun shouts across the hallway as he throws the ball.

Pow.

The ball hit the side of Yoongi’s head, it wasn’t a hard hit. Sehun comes running from the other end of the hallway.

“I’m so sorry, bro. Here, I have more rice cakes.” Sehun forcefully gives Yoongi the bag of his rice cakes.

Hoseok from afar watches the whole scene. I guess I left him pensive. Very unusual. He smirks and closes his locker.

 

Yoongi walks out the entrance of the high school. What if I go to the park? Hah. Yoongi smiles at the thought but quickly dismisses it. He puts on his headphones and begins to walk. Unconsciously, his body was taking him to the park.

“What am I doing?” He mutters under his breath. Yoongi is about 4 blocks away from the park. His stomach grumbles again. He decides to enter the convenience store to at least eat a rice ball and some snacks.

Yoongi grabs a coke, three rice balls and a bag of potato chips. An exquisite meal, you can say. A familiar scent is near him...is that Yoo Jung? He looks up from the stacks of pepero. It is indeed Yoo Jung.

“I’d get the strawberry one if I were you.” She cheerfully smiles.

“Hey…” Yoongi awkwardly responds. Ah that's right. She lives around the park area.

“So why are you here?” She asks.

“I’m grabbing something to eat...what about you?”

“Same. I wanted a snack.” She smiles at him and grabs two strawberry pepero packs. “This extra one is for you.” Before Yoongi could say anything, she is already at the cashier paying. Why does she try so hard? Yoongi walks to the cashier with his exquisite meal . “Your girlfriend paid for it. Would you like a bag?” The cashier kindly asks.

Yoongi sighs. Is she really not going to give up? “Yeah, a bag would be fine.” He looks through the window and Yoo Jung is already sitting on the convenience store’s chairs outside. He comes outside to where she is sitting. “Thanks.” Yoongi holds the bag up.

“Come sit next to me! I still need to give you the pack of pepero.” She taps at the chair beside her. Yoongi looks at the chair. Just why. Is it some type of closure I’m trying to find? He sits down, opens his bottle of coke and takes a sip.

“How was your day?” She asks trying to make conversation. Yoo Jung is not liking the vibe he is giving off. It feels forced but she doesn’t care. She will do her best to get back with him.

“It was alright. I guess. How about you?” He munches on the rice ball.

“Yeah..it was nice. Not so much homework today so I’m happy….I wanted to ask..how's Nayeon? I heard that she got a concussion?” Yoo Jung glances at Yoongi intently.

“Yeah she got a concussion. But now she's doing well. She’s coming back next week.” Yoongi grins at the thought of Nayeon coming back. Yoo Jung notices his grin.

“Oh...that’s good.” She opens the package of strawberry pepero.

“How’s your sister?” Yoongi asks as he eats his second rice ball.

“Oh..Minji. She’s good. She hasn’t been cutting herself lately since my mom is now giving her more attention. My mom broke up with her boyfriend, so that has helped...How’s your parents?”

“Well..my mom wants me to move in with her again after getting myself into situations...and my dad, he’s starting a new life with another woman. He has invited me over but I just want to stay with my grandma.” Yoongi feels comfortable telling Yoo Jung because she knows his past and their parents were both going through divorce when they were dating.

“Yeah..I understand. I would too.” Yoo Jung eats a pepero stick.

Yoongi finishes his food and throws out the remnants in the garbage.

“Alright, thanks for the meal Yoo Jung.” He chuckles. She smiles at this.

“No problem!”

“I’ll be leaving.”

“Where?” She asks without any hesitation.

“Somewhere…” Yoongi isn’t sure himself where he was going..he didn’t want to go home and he was trying to resist in going to the park. “I’ll see you later.”

“I’ll go with you. Don’t be mean. I paid for your food, you would have been starving.”

This girl..trying to guilt trip me. Yoongi walks away without saying anything and she starts to follow him.

“Look, I know I’m being annoying but I want to be by your side.” Yoo Jung catches up to him. “I want to make up for what I did. I was stupid.”

Yoongi wears no emotion but lets her walk beside him. His curiosity is killing him.. “Let’s go to the park.”

She smiles at his suggestion.

 

As they walk through the park, there is only silence between them. Yoo Jung is content with this, at least she gets to be with him. Her heart is racing because she wants to tell him something but she doesn’t know how to address him. Yoo Jung looks around and she spots Nayeon sitting on the swing. Is this why he wanted to go the park? Jealousy stirs in her stomach. I need to act fast. I won’t be defeated. I’m so close to winning but she keeps on appearing. “Why is she here..” Yoo Jung whispers under her breath.

“What?”

“Nothing.” Act fast. Yoo Jung quickly tippy toes and kisses Yoongi on the cheek. To make it even more believable, she giggles and run to a nearby tree. Yoongi’s expression completely changes and decides to turn his head. He couldn’t believe it. Nayeon is sitting on the swing, staring right back at him. So Namjoon did bring her here? And why did she have to kiss me...especially in front of her? Ugh. I’m screwed. She looks healthy...and really cute. I guess she really did an effort to look nice for Namjoon. But why is she alone? Nayeon slightly waves at Yoongi but he just can’t seem to take his eyes off of her. Yoo Jung noticing this couldn’t help it but she needed to get his attention again. She wants Nayeon to know that Yoongi is hers. Yoo Jung runs back to Yoongi.

“Yoongi…” she turns to Nayeon’s direction. “Oh hey Nayeon! We’ll be leaving to my house see ya!” Yoongi, infuriated, walks away. Yoo Jung follows after him.

After walking for 5 minutes, Yoongi stops and turns to Yoo Jung.

“What’s wrong with you?”

Her eyes widen in shock. “Nothing. Nothing is wrong with me.” She gulps.

“Why do you kiss me out of nowhere?I didn’t ask to be kissed. Why? Just because I’ve been nice to you doesn’t mean I like you that way.” Yoo Jung’s eyes redden and her face is burning with embarrassment. Yoo Jung feels guilty but she just couldn’t help it.

“Look, I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything. I didn’t mean to cheat on you in 8th grade. It was a dare and and-”

“You always cared about what other people think about you. That's what I dislike most about you. You tried so hard and even now to be accepted by everyone. It's annoying and tiring to be around you. And what happened in 8th grade...I just don’t understand. How would you think that's not cheating? Making out with 5 guys, even if it's a dare you just don’t do that. I really liked you. But years have gone by and I just don’t feel the same.”

“Look I said I’m sorry. I was stupid. Just please give me another chance! Why have you been so nice to me then?! Huh?! Isn’t it wrong for you to give somebody hopes?!” Tears starts to roll down Yoo Jung’s cheeks.

Yoongi sighs. “I accept your apology but it's not the same anymore. Okay, I apologize for that but I did it for your sister. She asked me to her that favor that way the rumors of her classmate would disappear. Look, just stop trying.”

“If it wasn’t for her, I knew you would accept me back. I was your first love and will always be.” Yoo Jung’s tears are like a storm.

“Her?” Yoongi’s eyebrow arches.

“Yes. Her. Nayeon. You like Nayeon, don’t you?!” Yoo Jung shouts in agony.

Theres silence.






A/N: back with this update! decided to do earlier in the day  from the last chapter. Ooof. Does Yoongi like Nayeon? What do you think? We shall see. Thank you for waiting! I kinda did as I promised, update once a month. ~~