Chapter Sixteen

Don't Fly Away, My Butterfly

I kid you not, Namjoon closes his eyes. Is he really going to kiss me? Plan B..what’s plan B?! Suddenly, a piece of paper goes between the space of our lips. Namjoon opens his eyes and lets out a little chuckle. I look, it’s Yoongi holding the paper.

“The end.” He announces. Everyone starts to “boo”. Namjoon slowly lets go of our embrace and walks to Hoseok. Hoseok playfully punches Namjoon’s arm. Then I look at Yoongi and Yoongi looks at me. He gently lowers his head with a half smile.

 

I come out of the bathroom and Yoongi is by the water fountain. He stops and looks up.

“Did you actually want to kiss him?” He lays against the wall.

“Uh..?” I stand there awkwardly. I did not expect that.

“I understand why you would. He’s a nice guy.” Yoongi puts his hands in his pockets.

“Actually no I didn’t.” I swear Yoongi’s eyes lit up.

“Oh really?”

“Yeah I didn’t want my first kiss to be like that.”

“First kiss?” Yoongi smiles. Oh my gosh.

“Yeah..so thank you..” I look to the ground. He touches my shoulder.

“No problem.” He walks back to the cafeteria. A girl from the class comes up to me.

“Nayeon..hi..”

“Oh, hey!” I wave at her.

“Can we talk?” She seems nervous. I nod my head so we go outside to sit on a bench. I make sure there is hardly people around.

“So what’s up?” I smile at her. “Oh but first tell me your name please.”

“Suhyun. Sorry. Uhm, well this is hard for me but I really need your help. My dad physically abuses my mom. It's been like this for years. She said she was going to leave him but then he becomes nice for awhile. We start to believe that and then he comes home drunk. It starts all over again. I’m tired of this. I’ve been scared to tell anybody...I don’t want to be ostracized.” She looks at her skirt. Wow..I look like a trustworthy person to her. I have to help her. She can’t be living like this.

“Uh first, let me give you a hug. Everything is going to be alright.” I hug her and she begins to cry. I pat her back. “Don’t worry. We will do something about it.”

 

 

Mr. Choi is talking to some teachers while we wait in the parking lot. There’s this awkward tension in the air. Hoseok and Namjoon stand in front of me and they bow.

“What?”

“ We are sorry.” They say at the same time. Both of them?

“Sorry I was the one who hyped up the whole class.” Hoseok doesn’t look at me.

“I wasn’t going to kiss you. I was just giving the class some entertainment. Sorry if I scared you.” They are still bowing.

“Oh my gosh. It's okay. Don’t worry.” I am flustered. I really didn’t know how to feel but I am glad that they did apologize. “I just need you guys to help me with something..”

“Sure what is it?” Hoseok happily straightened his back.

“So a girl in the class..her father beats her mother. And she has tried to get evidence but her mother takes it away from her. She has become scared to say anything. But the good thing she told me..” I look at the three of them. “ I was thinking of placing hidden cameras.. I don’t know.”

“Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Maybe put in a teddy bear or something.” Namjoon suggests.

“Yeah that’s more subtle. We should all pitch in for it.” I tell them.

Yoongi and Hoseok nods their heads.

“I’ll buy it online. Later on, you guys give me the money.” Yoongi says.

 

 

A week later

 

“Suhyun, thanks for taking time to meet up.” We are in a cute cafe. They were playing soothing indie music in the background which relieved any awkwardness.

“Actually, I don’t want any help. Just please don’t tell anyone.” She looks down at her pastry.

“Suhyun, look, everyone deserves happiness. You deserve to be at peace. I am here for you. The wildsunflowers are here for you.” Okay that sounds a bit cheesy but you know sometimes you have to be. Haha. She lets out a small smile. “You are so brave. Look we bought something for you. It's a teddy bear but it has a video camera inside. It will record everything, subtly.”

“Uh, no I don’t want it. I’m okay.” Suhyun pushes back the teddy bear. What?

“Are you sure?” I am seriously worried.

“Yes, thank you though. I’ll get going.” Suhyun raises her arm and hand to push back some hair behind her ear. Her sleeve rises a little, and I see a whole bunch of bruises and scars. Don’t tell me she gets hurt as well. Oh no.

“Hold up. I’ll walk you home. Let me. At least that since you won’t receive the teddy bear.” I stand up from my chair. Suhyun sighs.

“Okay, fine.”

 

 

“This is my little house.” Suhyun says embarrassingly.

“I think it’s just fine. Don’t worry.” I smile. “If anything, you have my number just text me.”

“Okay.” Suhyun hurriedly goes inside her little house, which is basically a basement. I worry about this child. I can’t force her to have the teddy bear. This calls for plan B ..something I don’t have. What is the usual time people get back from work? Stupid me didn’t ask too many questions. Sigh. Probably at eight. It is a Friday. Would he come back drunk? I kick a pebble.

I go back to the cafe that’s near her house. I’ll just wait here. I sit down and take out my books to study. I have three hours left.

 

I look at my phone. It’s 7:30 pm. I take a sip of my tea. Wow, that fast. I put some books in my backpack.

“Nayeon?” I hear a familiar voice.

“Oh..oh my.. Yoongi..uh..hi.”I stay still.

“Hey, you’re about to leave?” He seems to be curious.

“Yeah.. actually Suhyun didn’t want to accept the bear. I’m extremely worried about her. So I’m about to just stand near her house if anything happens. If I hear anything. You know?”

“I’ll come with you.”

“Oh.. really? Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I am. I’ll wait with you.” Oh my gosh..no way. My heart is thumping. Stop it.

“Oh okay, then let’s go.”

The walk to Suhyun’s house was pretty quiet. We didn’t speak as much. The temperature drops abit. The breeze goes through my uniform skirt. It’s going to be chilly.

We arrive at the front of her house. It’s going to be 8 pm. We stand beside a wall near Suhyun’s house.

“So now we wait…” I begin.

“Yep.”

“Uhm it's such a coincidence that we saw each other at that cafe..” Okay that sounds really awkward.

“Yeah it is. Ha. I was with my grandma and all of the sudden she ditched me.”

“Second time huh?”

“Haha you remember. Yeah.” I remember everything you tell me Yoongi. Honestly.

“Its really nice of you to stand outside to make sure she doesn’t get hurt.”

“What?Me? You’re standing out here with me too.” Is he complimenting me? Yo.

“But it was your idea. I admire that.” He smirks. FRICK.

A strong breeze pushes through us.

“Thanks..” I’m sooo nervous. My whole leg gets goosebumps all over. Suddenly I feel something.

“You must be cold.” He doesn’t look at me. Yoongi had just put his uniform jacket over me.

“Oh no, you’re going to be cold..”

“Don’t worry about me.” He turns away from me.

That's how we stayed for a whole hour. He didn’t look at me and I just looked at the stars. My mom and dad knew where I was but didn’t know what I was doing. They were just glad I was at a “friend’s house”. Haha. Sure. But I liked the silence. It wasn’t uncomfortable.

It’s 9:30, and the dad did not come. Did we come at the wrong time? Or does he come later? I need to go home. I have a curfew.

“Yoongi, I have to go home now. But I just feel so uneasy.”

“Ah, don’t worry we didn’t hear anything yet. Let’s come back tomorrow. The two of us.”

“The two of us..” I mutter. I can’t believe it. “Yeah!”

“Let’s go home, Nayeon.”

 

We get on the same bus and we just sit next to each other. Is this really happening? Yoongi smells great. Wow. I’m so weird.

I’m so tired.

 

I open my eyes. Why am I on someone?

“Its almost time for our stop.” Yoongi gently whispers.

“Oh I’m sooo sorry. Oh my god.” I take my head off his shoulder. I look away.

“Its okay. Don’t worry.” I look at him and he smiles.

 

We get off the bus.

“I’ll walk you home.” Yoongi begins to walk faster.

“No you don’t need to..” I mutter. But I keep up with his pace.

“Its late. And I don’t want anything to happen to you.” He says without emotion.

“Oh okay. Thanks Yoongi..” Is this actually a dream??!! I’m so happy right now but at the same time still worried about Suhyun.

“So how come you haven’t had your first kiss?” Yoongi clears his throat and asks.

“Oh..because I haven’t dated anyone yet.” I try to sound nonchalant.

“Really? But you’re so pret-” Yoongi stops himself.

“What?” I look at him confused. He doesn’t answer. We arrive at my house.

“Thank you so much.”

“No problem.” He waves , turns his back and walks away into the distance. I watch as he walks away. I’ll see him tomorrow I guess.

My phone vibrates.

Oh! That’s a text message I hear.

It's from Suhyun…

“Nayeon. I’m scared. Please help.”

 
A/N: I really hope you liked this chapter! Thank you for being patient!! I appreciate it alot!!!!