Chapter Six

Don't Fly Away, My Butterfly

There is an awkward silence. Hoseok stops mid way of eating his tofu, Namjoon looks down at his fork and I steal a glance at Yoongi. He looks emotionless. He has a blank stare on his face.

“Mwuahahahaha.”My dad starts doing his infamous evil laugh. Why today? This is so embarrassing but his laugh is contagious. Dammit. My mom starts to giggle. Taeyeon is enjoying this as well.

“You thought I was serious? I’m just busting your chops.Aish,these kids.Don’t be interested in her.” He keeps laughing. Hoseok begins to laugh.

“Mr.Im you’re too funny and scary.” Hoseok says while laughing.Namjoon starts to nervously laugh.

“Enjoy your food.” My dad pats Namjoon on the back.

“Thank you.” He bows his head and continues eating.

“So, um Yoongi how did you find my daughter’s phone?” My dad looks at Yoongi and points at him with the fork. Yoongi looks up and clears his throat.

“I saw it on the floor, so I picked it up. It apparently turned off so I was trying to turn it on. It and at that moment her sister called.”

“Aish, Nayeon is so careless. Thank you.” My dad responds.

“Not a problem.” Yoongi continues to eat.

“Oh, did you tell your parents you are at our house? I don’t want them to worry.” My mother starts to tell them. They all nod their head.

“Of course, I told them I would be eating with a wonderful family.” Hoseok kisses up to my mom.

“Aigoo, you’re so sweet.” She pats him on the back. I’m looking at Hoseok. He’s weird but wow he really has a nice smile.

 

We finish eating and Namjoon and Yoongi immediately stand up.

“We’ll take the dishes to the kitchen.” Yoongi says sweetly.

“Let us do this!” Namjoon says politely. Hoseok also stands up and helps them out.

“No, don’t!” My mother pleads. With her hawk eyes, she tells me to pick the plates up. But it's too late, they already have taken the plates to the kitchen. I go to the kitchen.

“Just leave it there in the sink, thank you..” I’m so awkward right now.

“Are you sure?” Namjoon asks.

“Of course, go sit down and I’ll give you guys some dessert.” I smile at him. He looks at me directly in the eyes for a few seconds. This is awkward. Hoseok leaves back to the dining room.Namjoon now smiles at me and goes back to the dining room.I hear the faucet turn on. I turn around and Yoongi begins to clean the dishes. I go by him.

“Um, Min Yoongi, you don’t have to do that.” I’m so nervous right now. Take a breath. I can do this. He turns off the faucet and turns his head. We are so close right now.

“Let me do this at least.” He smiles. HE SMILES. His smile is wonderful.

“Nayeon! Where is the dessert?!” My dad shouts from the other side. Oh god. Good way to ruin the moment.

“Oh, it’s on it's way.” I say while I scurry to the oven to take it out.

 

I serve everyone their dessert and stand on the side.

“Mhm! This is such a good muffin!” Hoseok says happily.

“I’m glad you liked it!” My mom is really happy.

“Nayeon, sit down!” My dad exclaims.

“Oh no, I’m fine. I’m just waiting for the coffee to be ready.”

“Ahh, okay.” My dad continues to eat the muffin.

“Do you like it, Yoongi?” My mother asks him.

He nods his head with a shy smile.

 

Everybody finished the dessert, so the guys decided to leave. They said their thank yous and goodbyes to my parents. I follow them to the door.

“Thank you for everything.” I smile at them.

“No, thank you! We had a great time!” Namjoon responds.

“Is it still raining?” I ask. Hoseok opens the door.

“Oh, no it’s not. “ He says.

“Awesome, I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” I wave to them.Namjoon and Hoseok walk forward outside. Suddenly, Yoongi turns around and does a slight wave. My heart stops. He turns back around and walks outside. I don’t know why I have this sudden feeling that this is how it’s always going to be. Not a single word will be told and everything that has been done will be turned into dust and disappear. Just enjoy the little moments. Let the little moments accumulate until they are big enough.  I close the door.  I just forgot that I still have my pajamas on. Ugh. I go up to my room.

I don’t know how I should I feel. Thankful or regretful? I lay on my bed. I shouldn’t be contemplating this.I should do my homework instead.

While doing my homework, I get a knock on my door.

“Come in!”

My mom enters. “How do you feel?”

“I feel good…” I look up at her from my desk.

“Sorry, you know your dad likes to make people uncomfortable.”

“I’m used to it..” I fake my cheery voice.

“Those kids are nice. They are very respectful and polite. You hardly see those type of guys these days.” She smiles.

“Yeah, I guess.”

“But remember why we did this. It’s because we are grateful for their niceness. Doing things for other people is great.”

“Yes, it is!” I actually feel good that I was able to serve them at least some dessert and tried to make them feel welcomed.

“Nayeon, do you like one of the boys?”

“Um..no hahaha.”I’m lying.

“Oh okay. Good. It looks like one of the boys are interested in you?” Oh my.

“Who?” I try to sound disinterested.

“Namjoon. The way he looks at you and his gestures indicate that he probably has a crush on you.”

“Really? I don’t think so. I know who he likes…” I’m feeling weird right now. I don’t know if I should believe her.

“Oh okay if you say so. I just wanted to tell you to be careful. I don’t want your heart to be torn to pieces. I don’t want to see you crying. You guys are still too young. At your age, we make lots of stupid mistakes.”

“Oh okay. Thanks mom.” I look the other way.

“Well, I won’t bother you any longer. I  love you.”

“I love you too!” She grabs my cheek and then leaves my room.

Today was weird. I really don’t know how to feel. I turn off the lights and jump onto my bed.

 

It is lunch time. I’ve been feeling very awkward today. Maybe some food will help my mood. I enter the cafeteria. My eyes are roaming and I see Yoo Jung coming towards me.

“Hi, Nayeon!” She waves and right in front of my face.

“Hi..” What does she want??

“We need to talk. Do you want to talk out in the field?”

“Oh, whatever is fine with you…” I say without any expression.

“Ok, I’ll meet you in the field.” She smiles and leaves. I follow after her. The weather is really nice today since it rained yesterday. There is a nice breeze.  I stand on the field while she finishes talking to the gym teacher. I look around and Yoongi is also here. He’s laying down, soaking in the sun. Are we here to talk about him? Or...that’s right what happened yesterday...Yoo Jung comes up to me.

“Okay so...I don’t know how I should say this..”

“It’s okay just say it.” I smile to ease the awkwardness.

“Well, okay. Just forget about yesterday and don’t tell anybody. Please?” She says it in a sweet tone. I don’t know if I should trust her. “Also, you have to be careful with Mr.Choi. You don’t know our past.” Past?

“Okay, I’ll keep that in mind then.” I grin.

“Okay, thank you for your time!” She smiles and she runs to Yoongi. She kicks him and tells him to wake up. He stands up. We both make eye contact. He wears a small grin. I turn away right away. I walk back into the cafeteria.


 

Mr.Choi gives the scripts back to Hoseok and Namjoon.

“It’s corrected and you may rewrite it.” He goes back to his desk.

“Okay cool, Nayeon, I’ll rewrite it and hand you a copy tomorrow. So we can practice it.” Hoseok tells me.

“Oh okay!” I turn my head. From the side of my eye, I see Yoongi looking at me. He’s slightly tapping his pencil on the desk. Should I say something? No, resist.I turn my head forward again.

“Nayeon, your dad is such a character.” Hoseok begins the conversation after a long moment of silence.

“Oh yeah, sorry he was being weird.”I shyly say as I turn my head again to face them.

“No, he’s very nice. His laugh is awesome. I wish I could have recorded it.” Namjoon smiles at me. I didn’t notice that he has dimples. Cute.

“Yeah, your dad is cool.” Yoongi slightly smiles. I gulp.

“Thanks!” I say in a cheery voice. I don’t want to be awkward. Yoongi nods his head and looks down on his paper.I change the subject. “Mr.Choi, how were the scripts?”

“It was decent. It’ll be slightly entertaining.”

“Slightly? Mr.Choi don’t be mean!” Hoseok tries to be cute.

“You’re weird…” Mr.Choi laughs. The rest of the class was spent on developing the lesson plan. I didn’t hear a peep of sound from Yoongi. He was actually working. Hoseok and Namjoon were really focused on the scripts. The bell rings. We begin to pack our things.

“Well, see ya. Bye Nayeon and Mr.Choi!” Hoseok leaves. As I bring my hand up to wave goodbye my heavy folder falls to the ground. The papers splash on to the ground.

“Oh, Nayeon!” Namjoon quickly comes by me and picks up the papers. “Wow you have lots of papers. It’s not even October yet.”

“Haha, you’re right.” I bend down to pick up the papers with him. “Thank you for helping me.”

“Not a problem.” He smiles while he stands up and neatly places the papers inside my folder. I stand up with a stack of papers.

“Give me that, please.” He takes the papers and puts in my folder.

“Thank you soo much. Go on ahead, I don’t want you to be late.” I gesture him to leave.

“Be careful, next time.” He smiles and makes his way out.  

“Clumsy, Nayeon.” Mr.Choi smiles. “Turn around there’s more paper.”

“Huh?” I turn around. There’s more of my papers on Yoongi’s desk.

“He picked it up and just left it there.” Mr.Choi clarifies.

“Oh, how nice of him.” I’m so stupid. The little things he does makes me happy. But he’s just being nice. I grab the papers.

“He’s a bit weird.” Mr.Choi stands against the chalkboard.

“Yeah…”


 

I decide to visit Mrs.Young-hee today. I want to know how she is today. Also, I don’t have as much homework today. I ring the bell.

“Oh! Nayeon!I’m so happy you came! Enter!!” she claps her hands. I enter into the living room.

“How are you, Mrs.Young-hee?”

“I’m doing excellent! Something really good happened!”

“Oh tell me!” I’m pretty excited to hear.

“My grandson came home so happy yesterday! I was so worried yesterday because he didn’t come home early for dinner. But then he told me he was at a friends house! At first I got angry because he goes to places without my permission. But this time it was different. He came home with a changed expression. He face looked lighter and happier. He told me he had a great time at his friend’s house. I feel like he filled some emptiness that was inside of him yesterday.” She is so happy talking about it that  tears are forming in her eyes.

“AWE. I am so happy!! That is so nice!! You don’t know how happy I am right now!”This is so cute.

“I wish he can stay like that forever. I told him he can go live in his friend’s house. I just really want to see him happy and smile. But he told me that it’s not going to happen. He said that he loves me and wouldn’t want to leave me. Which made me very happy! He said that where he went yesterday was only a once in lifetime thing. He will cherish it forever.”

“Aweeeee, that’s so cute of him!!!”

“Thank you for listening to me! I think I told the whole neighborhood.”

“Hahaha. If you can, that’s not a problem!” I smile really big.

“You’re so sweet nayeon!” I look around and there’s a picture of her whole family together. “May I look at this?”

“Of course Nayeon. That’s when my grandson was younger and problems didn’t exist.”

“Awe, you also have a granddaughter? She’s pretty!”

“Yes, her name is So Hyun. She loves her brother so much but she decided to stay with her mother since she still a preteen.”

“Awe, okay. What a cute family!” I put the frame down. I look around and I see a picture of a guy with his back turned and the girl facing the picture forcing him to look. The girl looks familiar…

“Oh, that picture! I still have it up because it’s so cute! But that was my grandson’s ex girlfriend in eighth grade. She was so nice, but I never knew why they broke up. I threaten my grandson that if he doesn’t tell me the reason why they broke up I won’t take this picture down.”

“Oh you’re evil!! Haha. Maybe he still has feeling for her…”

“Nah, he just doesn’t care. I think he fell for a girl when he started highschool.”

“Awe, that’s cute!”

“Yeah, I just feel bad for him. His ex was really nice, what’s her name..Kim..Yi..no Yoo Jung. Kim Yoo Jung.”

“Kim Yoo Jung?”This girl is everywhere.

 
 
A/N: I recently watched Fated to Love You. The main character had a contagious laugh. I decided to put him as the father and the other lead as the mother. Hope you enjoyed this chapter!  Comments are appreciated!