Chapter One

Don't Fly Away, My Butterfly

Senior year is finally here. Ready to leave high school and start a new life as an adult.  Ahh, September is hot and my hair does not want to cooperate with me. It’s so frizzy today. Time to get dressed.   I already had my clothes out to put on. It is a cute summer dress that has pastel colors, which look best on me.  My hands are trembling, I don’t know why I’m nervous. Well yeah I’ll see him today.

    I had an awkward moment with him during the summer. It’s hard not to forget. Oh my goodness. Shivers run down my back.

 

It was a really hot sunny day. I was having driving lessons that day. My hair was a mess and everything about me was bummy even though I wore a dress. I was finished with my lesson so I had to drive to pick up the next person for the lesson.   I was driving around a neighborhood close by the high school; it didn’t really hit me that it was going to be somebody from my school.I parked the car and went to the back seat. I was looking at my phone but I decided to look up. I couldn’t believe it. Min Yoongi was walking in front of the car. Everything about him looked fabulous. His hair was perfectly straightened, his white skin glowed (he did not get a tan, so typical of him) and he looked pretty content. My heart started to beat and my hands were twitching.  I kept my sunglasses on so he wouldn’t recognize me. I felt so insecure. My hair was just frizzy and I had a pimple on my nose. Damn it puberty.  Yoongi got inside the car and did all the requirements, like seatbelts and mirror checking. His grandma came out of the house and went by his window. She started to speak to both of them. You know the typical worried grandma, I didn’t pay attention to the conversation.

“You’re ready?” the instructor asked him.

“Yup.” he said with a smile. He has not noticed that I was in the back.  He started to drive to take me home.  My hands and legs were shaking.I turned my head to face the window. I noticed that the instructor was looking at me through his mirror. He started to make conversation with both of us.

“Have you been practicing?”

“No, not really.” Yoongi responded.

“Your parents don’t want to practice with you huh? They’re scared.”

Yoongi gave a slight chuckle. “Yeah, I guess so.”

“How about you huh?”  The instructor was referring to me.

“Yep, same.” I said with a awkward tone of voice.

“Maybe ask your sister, Taeyeon, to help you.”

“Yeah I should…” Stop talking to me. Ugh.

Yoongi was driving pretty well. Apparently that was his last day of lessons and soon he would have his road test. He has to go up a hill to get to my house and that road is a bit narrow. As he turned, the car slightly went on top of the sidewalk.

    “Oops” he said in a calm voice. He quickly fixed the car to get back on the road again. I felt second hand embarrassment. He drove up to my street.

    “Okay, go to that house at the end of the corner,the nice looking house.”

Oh my god.Yoongi parked the car in front of my house.

    “Ok, I’ll see you next time.” the instructor said with a shady smile. I took off my sunglasses. I opened the door and was coming out of the car. Yoongi suddenly turned around and a smile appeared on his face.

    “Oh damn why didn’t you tell me you were here?!”

Wow,he actually showed some emotion towards me. I was drowned in awkwardness. The instructor laughed. That shady instructor.  I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders. I didn’t feel like saying anything. Well my awkwardness didn’t allow me.  I quickly closed the door and left home to quietly die.

        

I left to school. I entered the school and all the seniors had to go to the auditorium. Scared and awkward. No be confident Nayeon.  You can do this.

I don’t really have like a group I hang out with. I get along with mostly everyone. My best friend is Chaeyoung. She’s quiet but people like to be around her.In freshman year we became best of friends. We had most of the classes together and we suffered together. Haha.

I enter the auditorium. Seeing everybody’s face again and how much everyone went through puberty. Except for me, I still look like a little girl. I walk down the aisle, turning my head I saw Chaeyoung. We make eye contact and immediately we became like lunatics.

Chaeyoung!” I practically shout and wave.“Nayeon!” She starts to wave as well.

My eyes are wandering around, while I am waving I see Min Yoongi behind Chaeyoung.Our eyes meet. He has an awkward expression on his face and a slight smile. Ok don’t be awkward.

I turn my head the other way. Damn it. My body does something totally different than what I plan to do.

    “Come sit here!!” she exclaims. She places her hand on top of the empty seat. I take in a deep breath. I nod my head.

“Excuse me...excuse me” I say while I try to get to my seat. I sit down next to her.

“So nice to see you again!! Oh my god, what did you get on the Ap History exam?”

“Oh, I got a four. I wish I got a 5 on it. How about you?” My hands were shaking.

“Oh me too! I thought I was going to fail. Oh my god, your hair grew!”

She is talkative today .

“Yeah I know! I’m so happy.”  I smile at her. I give a quick look at Yoongi. He is in his own world, looking at his phone. I feel good that he isn’t looking but at the same time I want him to look at me. But it's good to keep it at the down low.  I turn my head the other way to see who is in the same row as Yoongi. My eyes meet with Dong-woo and Sehun.

Dong woo nods his head in acknowledgement and smiles. On the other hand Sehun retorts“What are you looking at? Stop looking at me!”

Of course, he has not changed. Sehun is Dong-woo’s best friend. Believe it or not, Sehun is actually smart but he is always overshadowed by his bigger sister, Ji-eun. Ji-eun was ranked number one last year and she has gotten straight A’s all her life. So Sehun has to live with that and has the pressure to be like his sister.

Dong-woo is just crazy smart but he’s just too lazy. He doesn’t have to try in anything and he will get it right. Actually, that only works in math. If he tried harder he would be number 1 in school. He is trying to beat Yeri. He has had a crush on me since sophomore year. It started in English Honors. We had a project to do, so me, him and my friend Lee Hi were partnered up by the teacher.  We were at the library working on it. Except for him. That same day his girlfriend had broken up with him.  They were a weird couple. He was being a that day.

  “Come on, do something.” Lee Hi would exclaim.

He just shrugged his shoulders.  “Don’t be sad, there’s so many girls out there for you. Be happy!!” I said excitedly.  He smiled.

“Come on, help us!” I said with a big smile. He nodded his head while smiling.

After we finished doing the powerpoint, it was time to leave. Lee Hi left on her own. I was going to walk alone.

“I’ll just walk with you. I’m going that way anyways.”

“ Oh really? Good, I need somebody to protect me.” I chuckled. “Where you going?”

“I need to go to the phone store to pay the bill.”

“Ahh, okay.” I didn’t bother making conversation. It was awkward. He tried talking but he’s not the type to talk a lot. We were close by my house. I didn’t want him to know where I lived so I said, “I’ll just walk from here. Thanks.”

    “Ok, then bye.”

I walked as fast as I can. Ugh why did I do this.

After a few minutes, I received a text. It was from him. I forgot we exchanged phone numbers for the project.  “Heyyy. Are you home safe?”  Oh god. Thanks but no thanks.

 

“Why would I look at you? Get over yourself.”

Chaeyoung and Dong-woo laugh.

“You’re so obsessed with me.” Sehun claims.

“Yeah, I dream about you every night and write songs about you.” I say sarcastically.

“You’re so creepy. Get away from me.”

“Did I hear something?” I ask Dong-woo.

“What?? Yoongi, isn’t she delusional?”

Why did Sehun bring him into this?  I look at him.  Yoongi looks at me and then looks at Sehun.

“What?” Yoongi shyly smiles..

“She loves me so much, get her away from me.”

Yoongi shakes his head while smirking. That smirk. That SMIRK.

Why???

“Boys and girls!!” The principal is shouting through the microphone. Well it’s time for Senior year to begin.

 

My schedule is fine. Except for the fact that it is mostly  Ap classes. But I have Service/Health class. That should be interesting. This year is going to be so busy.

 

Lunch time arrives. Today has been a boring day. I wasn’t expecting Yoongi to be in one of them either. Too much wishful thinking.

I enter the cafeteria; my eyes are roaming around to see if I recognize somebody.

Oh, I spot Yoongi sitting alone. He’s used to being alone so he doesn’t seem awkward there.

Should I go over there? No, that doesn’t seem right.

Then I spot Jihyo eating already. She takes lunch seriously.  I’m walking to the table that is across from Yoongi. Yoongi turns his head. I notice that his eyes are looking at me from head to toe. Is he checking me out? Or he dislikes my outfit? I look at him. I give a slit grin. He just turns his head the other way. Okay then.

I arrive at the table and sit across from Jihyo. “Hey girl!” I say.

“Oh hey!!!” she says excitingly. We used to have Bio Honors together so that’s how we became friends. It was sophomore year. Did I mention she was Dong-woo’s ex girlfriend?  She is really nice. The reason why they broke up was because he was being clingy.

I notice that a bunch of guys are sitting around Yoongi. Two of them are Dong-woo and Sehun, lovely. Most of the guys know that Dong-woo likes me so they ship it and try pairing me up with him. Or they make it obvious. Thus, to them I am known as “Dong-woo’s girl.” I don’t know if Yoongi knows about it.

Youngjae and Jimin come by and sit at the table. Jimin is one of my best guy friends. He is such a sweetheart. Youngjae is very flirty. But that's his personality. Jimin and Youngjae are best friends. They are the complete opposite. Youngjae is a flirty gamer and Jimin is the shy drama club geek.

“Yo” Youngjae says while he sits.

“Nayeon!” Jimin’s eyes lit up. He sits beside me.  We begin to talk about summer and our classes.

From the corner of my eye, I see Dong-woo turn around and look at me. If only Yoongi did that.

The guys at his table are cracking jokes and just being idiots. Yoongi is taking a nap?  Yeah, he is. His head is lying on the table and his arms covering it.

 

The bell rings. Lunch period is over. I want to say hi to him at least. Everybody is standing up to leave. Yoongi is taking his precious time to put his backpack on.  Dong-woo is also taking his time.

I walk pass Yoongi to see if he says hi to me but he doesn’t.  Jimin, who is beside me laughs. I playfully punch him.  Dong-woo’s eyes are bothering me.  He comes up to me.

    “Hey” he says with a nervous smile.

“Oh hey! We have the same lunch, huh?” I look up, since he is taller than me.

“Hi.” Jimin chimes in.

“Yeah I guess we do.” His eyes are shining. I feel the intensity of his eyes. I look away.

Suddenly, I feel that I am falling backwards.  Um. What?

“Oh god..” I exclaim.

I feel a warmth and gentle touch. His words brush my ear.

“Are you okay?”

It’s Yoongi. I turn my head to look up to see that smirk of his. That SMIRK.

He helps me return to balance.  We stand there awkwardly. Sehun and Dong-woo were exchanging glances. Jimin was smiling.

 “Thank you...I’m-” I am interrupted  by his nod and  he continues to walk forward.  Okay, it’s okay.  I feel a bit embarrassed to even look up.  

“You feel ok?” Dong-woo asks. Stop being so nice to me. I look up and fake a smile.

“Yeah, it just scared me. Ha.”

“He’s weird.”  Jimin says as he sighs.

“What class do you have next?” Dong-woo asks.

“Oh I have um…” i look at my schedule. “ Service/health class ?”

“Oh cool, I’ll walk you there.”

Jimin, being a protective friend says “ I’m already walking her there.” I feel tension.

“Let’s all walk there together!” I say with a cheerful voice.


“This is the class…” I say awkwardly with Dongwoo and Jimin standing there next to me.

“Seems like we came early. There is nobody here.” Jimin says while he looks inside the classroom.

“Well, I’m here safe. I don’t want you guys to be late to your next class.” I place one foot in the classroom.

“Alright, let’s go Dong-woo.”  Jimin pats his shoulder. “Don’t  we have French together?”

“We do?.. Ah okay. Bye  Nayeon.” He waves at me. They go off walking to their next class. I enter the classroom. Hm, what seat should I pick. Should I go to the front or by the back? Well I am sweating...ugh.  I’ll just sit in the back because there are windows.

The windows are already open. Ahh that feels good, the breeze.My hands are outside the window. Ok, I should probably sit now.

I turn around.

“Oh my god…” I put my hand on my chest from how scared I am.  His eyes just widen.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you.”

Yoongi has a grin on his face.

“Um, sorry about today.”

Yoongi is walking towards me. My hands are shaking.

“I mean, you didn’t have to do that but I’m really thankful.”  Why do I keep talking?

He places his bag on top of a desk behind me and sits down.

“Don’t worry about it.” His voice is cold and emotionless. I just nod my head and sit right back down.

Should I say anything? No, the question is what do I say? I’m so nervous right now. I have to say something.  I take in a deep breath. Okay, Nayeon let’s do this. I turn around.

“Hey..” I smile at him. He looks up at me with the most innocent eyes.

He nods his head.

“Um, did you pass your road test?” My fingers are twitching. I see him looking at them.

“Yeah, I did.” He immediately takes out his wallet and shows me his license. “I look bad there.”

Then why show it to me? Ha, but that's cute. “Oohh, nice! Wow, congrats!” I say while staring at his license. He does not look bad at all. He looks so pretty and handsome. I think I am staring too long so let me just give it back to him.

“Did you take it yet?” he says while putting the license back into his wallet.

“No, not yet.”

“You’re 17 right?” He looks at me and then looks away.

“Yup.” He is actually continuing the conversation. This is so nice.

“When will you take it?”

“Probably in December but due to the snow I need to change it.”

“Oh. Do you like driving?” He looks at me again.

“Ehhh….”

“Ehh? Haha. Why?”

“Well, I’m just not good at it. Maybe I will when I get better, ha..”

“Oh yeah the instructor told me you were having a hard time doing the turns.” He smirks.

“What?!!” I let it out. Why?!!  He laughs. Are we actually having a conversation?

“But yeah.. I don’t know why..” I continue with an awkward tone of voice.

Suddenly, somebody enters the room.

“Ayo, yoongi!” Namjoon exclaims.

Namjoon comes in and goes by Yoongi. He sits on top of the desk beside him.

“What is up?” He sounds excited to see him.

“Nothing.”

“Of course. Ahh..” he turns to me.

“Nayeon right?”

I nod my head.

“Nayeon..nayeon..I heard of your name before?”

“Oh really?” I respond.

“Yo,Dong-woo’s girl?”

“What?” Um. No.

“I mean friend.”

“Yeahh..”

Hoseok comes in.

“Ayo Namjoon and Yoongi. Ahh we are in the same class!”

I turn my head towards the window beside me.

“What’s up, man.” Hoseok goes towards Yoongi and hugs him.  Yoongi lets him.

“Wow, I can’t believe it, is this the class? Only four people?”

“I guess so.” Namjoon states.

The bell rang and the teacher came right in.

“Only four eh? This school…” the teacher mutters under his breath.

Namjoon and Hoseok sits down by Yoongi.

“Ok well I can give you a syllabus and tell you what materials you need in this class and what you will expect. But..” he slams his hand on his Hoseok’s desk.

“Ohhh you scared me!!” Hoseok exclaims.

He goes by his face and whispers: “Good.”

“You’re all seniors! You know what you need in a class, how to behave and you need  a passing grade to obviously pass.”  His voice resounds through the classroom. I don’t really know how to feel right now.

“Questions?” He’s standing at the back of the classroom.

“Uhm, yeah.” Namjoon says. “Can we know your name?”

“I’m not going to answer that. Sometimes we just need to learn how to read.”

“Excuse me?”  Namjoon is confused.

Oh that’s right. It’s written on our schedules.

“Mr. Choi.” I mutter.

I feel Hoseok’s stare and then he shouts “Oh!! Its Mr. Choi. Namjoon learn how to read.”

“Good job Miss. Nayeon.”

“What?” Hoseok exclaims.

“Hahaha. I know how to read Mr. Hoseok.”  Mr. Choi shows off his attendance sheet that has the id pictures on it.  He walks to the front of the class.

“Ahh senior year. It is when all the fun starts to happen. You get to have more freedom. But none  of you think about the responsibility. You only think about yourselves. Why must everything be about you satisfying your needs. It’s not all about the parties, smoking and having . There’s responsibility. Responsibility for yourself, your family, your friends and the people who are around us.

You guys don’t open yourself to new people. Gotta stick to your little crew. But when you expand yourself you get to meet new people and new ideas.

The world is cruel but it's up to us to make it a better place. Every act of kindness helps.

Compassion, sympathy, empathy and love.” He writes down those words on the board.

“Those feelings compels us to help. To change our minds about something or someone. Let’s stop thinking about ourselves, instead of others. How will you help?” He sits on his chair. It's true what he is saying. Who can I help?

“Um, Mr. Choi..” Hoseok says.

“In this class, we will do volunteer service. On your own, find somebody you can help.”

“How would you know if we did it or not?” Namjoon asks.

“It’s very simple. Through your eyes. Also I’m everywhere.” Mr.Choi says confidently.

“Will we be graded?” I have to ask.

“Nayeon, sometimes we need to relax. Grades aren’t everything in life.”

I’m feeling embarrassed. He can read personalities right off the bat. But his tone of voice changed  into a sweet and kind one. So it's not that bad…

“We won’t do anything as we have 10 minutes left of the class. We will start the work tommorrow.” Mr. Choi says and starts working on something on his desk.

Hmm..who can I help?

“What are you going to do Namjoon?” Hoseok asks him.

“Probably help girls write down my number.”

“Hahahahahaha”  Hoseok is dying of laughter.

“Idiot…” I hear Yoongi say behind me.

“How about you Yoongi?” Hoseok asks.

I turn around. He just shrugs.

“Ah you no fun.” Hoseok pouts. “Nayeon right? What about you?”

“Uhmmmm I don’t know yet.”

The bell rings.


It's time to go home. I’m by my locker and I finally see Yoongi by his locker which is at the other end of the hallway. He’s alone. He has his headphones on. He looks serious as always. Should I go say something to him? No, I should be happy with the interactions we had today. Oh, he’s looking my way. Should I wave or smile?

I do a little wave and smile. He turns his head. Did he see me?  Its okay..its okay.

 

“I’m home!” I enter the house and take off my shoes.  My mom and Taeyeon are watching a drama in the living room. “Hi..”

“Oh! Nayeon how was your first day of school?” My mom asks me while I sit my down on the couch.

“It was...interesting.”

“Did anybody say anything about your dress?” She smiles at me.

“No..”

“What? Your dress is so pretty.”

“It’s fine mom. I don’t mind. I don’t care actually. I need to really focus on my school work.”

“Oh yeah, lots of ap classes huh?”Taeyeon gets in the conversation.

“Yup.”

“Ahh, I missed you today Nayeon. I was here alone for the whole day. The food is ready in the kitchen so just serve yourself.” My mom says to me. She continues to watch the drama with Taeyeon. I have nice relationship with my mom. Actually, my sister, me and her have a good relationship with each other. We have fun together.

 

I lay on my bed thinking about what has occur today. I can’t help but think about the conversation that Yoongi and me had. Ahhh. I wish to have many more. It is my last year. I just want to find out more about him. Freshman year I would try to talk to him but he just didn’t budge to keep the conversation going. I would say hi to him but I felt like I annoyed him. So I just stopped.  Anyways,  Mr. Choi’s class. I can’t stop thinking about it. I mean, I have cared for many people but since they don’t respond well. I just stopped caring. Maybe I should care a bit more about people instead of my grades.

 

 A/N: I hope you enjoyed reading this!