twenty five

strange love

"We're here."

Seokjin's voice wakes me up from my sleep and I can feel my heart beating violently. It was all a dream. I was in some screwed up high school AU where I was in a love/hate relationship with Seokjin and we slashed tires and made out on church walls and waxed half both eyebrows and—that's really no far from the things we do, and I wonder, is it really all just a dream?

Probably. I mean I said I didn't love Seokjin. What kind of Taehyung would do that...

"Sorry I fell asleep," I yawn, getting off his lap and helping him up.

"You were talking in your sleep," he says, a smile on his lips and I find myself wanting to touch those lips again and Seokjin delivers, pecking me softly on the lips and my heart; oh, my heart, is this normal?

We step out of the train, sweaty, drunk, smelling strongly of cigarettes and flustered and embarrassed and I'm in love and I don't know if he feels the same way about me, but that kiss gave me worse stomach flips than the rollercoaster did and knocked out every sign of doubt I'd had; and it was just that. No tongue involved, just 5 seconds that felt like a lifetime to me. It was innocent, quick and short, but it sparked flames inside me that had died a long time ago. And then he did it again.

I bring my fingers up to my lips, smiling stupidly. Seokjin noticed and he's smiling too—and we're just standing in the middle of a train station's waiting area, holding hands and we're kind of drunk and we're just smiling all over again like we're back in Square One—but I know how far we'd come.

"What now?" Seokjin asks, leaning on a trashcan. No, he's not leaning on me.

"I don't know."

He finally drops the question. "What are we?"

Well, I can call him mine and we've gone on cheap but sweet dates and we've kissed twice and we've slept together—completely non-ual—and it's still fuzzy, but I know we've been together for a long time. Or maybe that was just a dream. So I mentally slap myself when I say, "We're friends."

"Oh?" he raises an eyebrow, walking towards the staircase that probably leads to the rooftop of this station. I follow suit.

"Well, I don't even know if you like me like I like you, so..."

"If I like you like you like me?"

"Yeah, do you like me like I like you?"

"Well," he asks when we get to the top, met with a locked door. "How do you like me?" He pulls out a bobby pin from his pocket.

"I like you a lot," I say shyly, biting my lower lip. "Like, a lot..." 

He looks at me. A click makes me realize that Seokjin picked a lock with a bobby pin and that it's actually possible and Seokjin knows how to pick a lock?

"Is that so?" he smiles, holding the door for me to let me step in first. It's cold.

"Yup," I stand near the edge, seeing one or two people every once in a while walking past. The view is significantly different from the night Seokjin took me to the skyscraper.

I smile. That was our first date.

"I like you a lot too," Seokjin says after a long moment of silence, just staring into a sky scattered with stars and the faintest traces of daylight.

"Really?"

"Really."

"This isn't the vodka talking? Or the cigarettes? Or..."

"Shhhhhh," he places his finger on my lips, "quiet. I like you."

It's 5 AM and the sun is still barely showing up, droplets of rain pattering softly on the floor we sat on. People are already beginning to walk about under umbrellas and get in their personal little vehicles, probably on their way to work. I smile fondly at the view, at how everything is coming so naturally, and I'm So Soft. Wow.

"Do you want to go back inside?" Seokjin asks after a while when the water noticeably dampens my hair, rolling off my forehead.

I shake my head. "Let's stay."

"Wise men say..."

My heart skips a beat, listening to the familiar English sentence roll off his tongue so nicely, as if he were fluent in the language. I blink, and soon I find myself continuing—I know this song.

"... Only fools rush in."

I clear my throat awkwardly, turning a shade of red at the sound of my own voice and my accent and my overall failure but Seokjin's only smiling at me. He's probably laughing.

"But I can't help," he sings and we're both too shy to sing the next line so he starts beatboxing out of nowhere and I start rapping;

"So smooth like fresh salad, yeah, Thailand is spicy, full of old men..." I'm crying of laughter at this point and Seokjin stops spitting saliva at the floor, slapping his knee and his laugh is so cute and my stomach actually hurts and my cheeks ache and we're so lame, I feel kind of bad for ourselves.

He clears his throat when he stops laughing, a smile still on his face when he stands up, his hand reaching out. "May I have this dance?"

I take his hand, smiling up at him, his hand on my waist and the other holding mine. "We're on the rooftop of a train station and we're slow dancing in the rain."

"Shouldn't you be used to it by now?" he chuckles, pulling me closer, our bodies swaying slowly together. He's actually less awkward than I am and his charisma's limit is past the sky; and it's all the more reason I'm so drawn to this man with two left feet and... "You're so beautiful."

I look away, focusing on the lights on the buildings starting to switch on one at a time. "You've never said that before," I mumble, trying to hide my face with what little bangs I have.

"I've said it a lot of times."

"I don't remember," I say, feeling my shirt stick to my chest as the rain started pouring heavier.

"Why don't you remember?" he leans in until our foreheads are touching, droplets of water running down our faces.

"What don't I remember?" I close my eyes, clouds of breath forming between the gap that separated us.

"That I always told you you're beautiful today, and yesterday, and the day before that..." he tilts his head, our lips just barely touching. "That I loved you first."

He kisses me softly, and my body is on fire in contrast to the cold wet rain running down our clothes. My hands are on the back of his neck, pulling him closer and I'm breathless, I'm so ing in love.

There's a warmer stream of water that I feel on my cheeks. I pull away, my hands on either side of his face and I open my eyes to see him crying. Something tugs at my heart and my throat tightens.

"Seokjin?"

He sobs, inhaling sharply; I'm so clueless, watching the boy I love break down in tears, fingers shaking, lips trembling, tears spilling out of his eyes and there's no signs of stopping when he drops to his knees. "Seokjin." There's nothing I can say that makes sense to me. "Hyung, please talk to me..."

"Come back to me, Taehyung."

"Hyung, you're not making any sense..."

And suddenly it does. It all comes back.